Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

lads its a wwe style promotion
    stop taking it so serious
    americans love that rubbish even if we dont

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

<SNIP>

Mod:Read the other multiple warnings..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I wouldn't put much pass on the few bitter Irish. It's gone over very well in the States where it actually matters and has been getting constant coverage. Another job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

deezell wrote: »
    But Deleted User is right ( I Guess you're a Stephen King fan with that handle Stu). It's irresponsible. The entire rant is a hate crime. Try that on in normal public life, against a work colleague, a club team mate, the barman in your local. Guess the 3 different results. None of them pleasant, all of them expensive.

Hate crime ??

wud ye gerrup ourra da!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

iamtony wrote: »
    Your missing the point, he is a scumbag! And proud of it because that's the life he was Born into. Similar to rappers in the US. They only get respect cause they have the dollar.

Jesus it was Crumlin he was born in not Compton or South Central . Like Crumlin , 5 mins down the road from us .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Conor made a complete tit of himself in that press conference ,tried and failed to rile and get under kabibs skin and failed badly the fact he had to resort to insulting his father says loads about mcg,an embarrassment to see him mentioned as an Irish sportsman ,I used to be a fan but I can see kabib doing a number here

The dad dig is personal, he slated McGregor in an interview a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Diemos wrote: »
    Is it me or did Conor look over emotional and off colour.

Nah that was just the questionably coloured Ron Burgundy suit.
    iamtony wrote: »
    Jesus it was Crumlin he was born in not Compton or South Central . Like Crumlin , 5 mins down the road from us .

Don't forget, this is the thread where people tried to justify the Wright Thompson ESPN article about McGregor "escaping" Dublin. Some posters actually tried to draw comparison between Crumlin and the aforementioned gang ridden areas of LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭deezell

Diemos wrote: »
    Is it me or did Conor look over emotional and off colour.
    Everything seemed forced and frenetic.

I hope he wins but something doesn't look right.

He probably got his bank statement, and realised how fast the dough is flowing out. It's expensive being a mock gangsta figurehead when you don't actually have a drugs empire. Ah well, another brawl, another 10-50 Mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

People taking this stuff to personal, take it as what it is, it has no knock on for us in life, everyone needs to get over it.

People hoping he gets KO'd etc... does everyone wish Hugo Lloris concedes 10 goals the weekend cause of drink driving?

Most part Conor should be commended for doing his homework and talking facts:
    - when money dried up in Russia he jumped ship
    - Khabib is involved with murderous leaders
    - He did "stay on bus"

People calling him a bully but its a back and fourth presser, Conor does his homework for each one, its the other fighters issue for not digging up dirt on him and it's not that hard as 90% of him being in the news was for the wrong stuff.

on one hand it's handy for conor cause noone bites with facts, but it's pretty easy to irk him when you have dirt on him, floyd did it a couple of times even eddie with the 2 babies one (true or not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Comes from Mcgregor offering Khabib alcohol when he's a Muslim, calling him 'a mad backwards ****' for denying his whiskey, mocking the muslim greeting 'assalamu alaikum' and calling Ali who's a Muslim a 'terrorist' although there seems to be some back story to this that I'm not aware of.

He doesn't just poke fun as Muslims. He has a go at Christians in this video, which I found really funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I still find it funny that people can not seperate the showman from the sportsman. What Conor does on stage is choreographed, planned and rehearsed, to an extent. Yes it verges on cringeworthy to watch at times and it is offensive, but it's supposed to be. There are two aims of it all:

1) Get people talking about the fight and ramp up those PPV numbers.

2) Get the opposing fighter and/or his team riled up which can have any number of knock on actions. Overtraining, emotional stress, anger. Anything which makes them not perform 100% physically, psychologically or emotionally come fight night. Anyone who believes the fight only begins when the cage door closes is wrong.

What a load of bollox. Show me where he said Muslims are backward gob****es? He said "I bet YOU'RE some craic at party's YOU backwards gob****e".

I know this forum gets a lot of trolls and haters, so there will be regular posters tired of that and on the look-out, but any chance of something like "I think you got something wrong there buddy..." rather than the above?

I've looked again - He called Khabib a "backwards c**t" after some rustling over Khabib's choosing to not drink due to his religion. I made a mistake in the exact words, apologies, but still you can you see how calling him that in the context of what they were talking about could be applied to more than just Khabib? I'm not looking to do that and use it against him, I'm just more commenting on the world we live in today and how it could be risky.

Look at how a genuine mistake happened with me though. In my last post, I mentioned that I'm quite mixed on Conor, so I don't come in here with an agenda against him or deliberately look to twist his words. But, I think he gave those with an agenda, and even those who previously didn't, loads of fuel for that fire in the press conference.

Repeating for Khabib to "Tell Vladamir Putin that..." over and over on a highly publicised broadcast, yelling about situations in Russia where a Putin opponent was locked up. I just think all that stuff is unnecessary and risky in the current climate. Conor can sell fights and be entertaining without any of that. He has gotten personal with his opponents before, sure, but he just took it to the moon last night. I hope he realises the bonkers world we live in today.

Anyway, I've said a lot now about all that and if you want to discuss it further, we can. I made a mistake while I was trying to make an objective post, I'm not looking for an internet fight about Conor McGregor.

deezell wrote: »
    But Deleted User is right ( I Guess you're a Stephen King fan with that handle Stu). It's irresponsible. The entire rant is a hate crime. Try that on in normal public life, against a work colleague, a club team mate, the barman in your local. Guess the 3 different results. None of them pleasant, all of them expensive.

But it's not normal life. You can't really compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Effects wrote: »
    But it's not normal life. You can't really compare the two.

If you ran up to someone in the street, Hit a takedown, then some ground and pound. You'd be up in court. What theseckafs are doing is criminal Joe, criminal.

correction wrote: »
    I wouldn't put much pass on the few bitter Irish. It's gone over very well in the States where it actually matters and has been getting constant coverage. Another job well done.

Haven't noticed anyone making bitter comments myself.

Mellor wrote: »
    Despite the recent surge, they are still only a few distillerys in ireland. (no idea where tescos comes from).

Nah, there's loads of distilleries now and new ones opening all the time. The country is flooded with them.
    There's a new whiskey launched every week in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    Despite the recent surge, they are still only a few distillerys in ireland. (no idea where tescos comes from).

Nah, there's loads of distilleries now and new ones opening all the time. The country is flooded with them.

It's still comparatively few and very few of the new boys have any stock yet that's been aged enough to be called Irish whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

According to the ABFI, there were 18 operational whiskey distilleries in Ireland this time last year with plans for another 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

According to the ABFI, there were 18 operational whiskey distilleries in Ireland this time last year with plans for another 16.

And this has what to do with mma ????

Some tripe on here , conor’s this and that etc

But will all still watch the fight regardless and be back on here singing his praises when he smokes khabib

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Just saw the press conference, McGregor is painful to listen to and could do with a trip to the Gaeltacht if he wants to actual speak Irish

Anyone know what distillery his whiskey is from, It has to be one of the already set up distilleries who have done the blend for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

it's a Bushmills blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not a huge fan of Conor's promotional persona, but he also has to shoulder the majority of the burden for promoting the fight. In that sense, I feel he does a professional job. I don't like it myself, but he dedication to the business side of things is unmatched. Khabib was there on a armchair ride by comparison.

That's the whole roster tbf bar the odd exception sit there shake hands at a face off............it's why these pressers average 20k views max while McGregor hits the half million mark

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

And this has what to do with mma ???

Ask Conor. He mentioned whiskey more than MMA at the press conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Just saw the press conference, McGregor is painful to listen to and could do with a trip to the Gaeltacht if he wants to actual speak Irish

Anyone know what distillery his whiskey is from, It has to be one of the already set up distilleries who have done the blend for him

Yet you watched the whole thing and straight onto boards to ask questions.

What an existence:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

461828.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can you just be in the camp that thought it wasn't funny and pretty poor compared to his earlier stuff. I don't really care about who it offends or how serious anyone takes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Yet you watched the whole thing and straight onto boards to ask questions.

What an existence:)

I was curious about the whiskey and its a slow day in work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Some tripe on here , conor’s this and that etc

But will all still watch the fight regardless and be back on here singing his praises when he smokes khabib

Do you not think Khabib will maul him??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So cringe, no wonder all the other fighters seem to dislike him ,
    He really comes across like erratic teenager back in the day he was smart and funny now he can't keep his composure for more than 2 minute's ,its total cringe ,
    Do you reckon his friends and family think that was funny or do they see it as car crash tv ,
    That being said he had some good point about Khabib , Who plays this humble Muslim routine when he take's money off very shady characters and hides his true character behind a bit like Jon Jones used to, Its just a pity McGregor cant stay composed enough to expose Khabib ,
    Anyway I hope he wins and the crazy thing is as erratic and off the wall McGregor is in the cage he is zen ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement