Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One man promoting the fight, one man doing nothing to promote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Anyone notice Conor reffered to god and Jesus 4 times and blessed him self twice?

Any chance this is to rock Khabibs faith? Ive never seen em do it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

It's hilarious that people fall for this routine every time. He's achieved this reaction in a room with only press. People either love it or hate it. Both groups will watch. The man is a promotional genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Conors biggest payday was 80 million odd?

Khabibs is 500k.

Conor has no problem making a tit of himself. Last night means sold out whiskey everywhere and loads more people buying the fight. Khabib should thank him.

After he mauls him for 3 rounds and the fight is stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I thought it was entertaining , McGregor was his usual self without the crowd really and he did the job he was there to do which was market the fight (And his Whiskey) and why shouldn't he market his whiskey ...the man has got where he is from selling himself and he has a world audience available I'd sell the Whiskey to, he has some sort of a deal with the UFC as well to promote the brand , that's what he does he promotes and he provokes reactions...positive or negative it doesn't matter people will still go online and be outraged at it , laughing at it but still talking about the fight and tuning in to the fight which in turn makes him and the UFC money...simple really...

Every yank that can get there hands on it will have a bottle of that Whiskey come fight night and they lap up that type of behavior.

Look , How many would tune into a press conference without McGregor I'd imagine the numbers would be far off what he pulls in...yes I get that UFC fighters respect each other , often take the gentlemen stance and sit there and answer questions with the occasional 'I'll beat you' 'Wait till I the cage closes' tough guy talk...Mcgregor threw that concept out the window and went for the jugular and it works...the proof is in the € , people want to be entertained that's what brings in the masses and the majority of press conferences are boring , with boring personalities that all follow the same trend (Khabib as an example)...

Great fighters? Yes...Athletes? Yes...but not going to bring in PPV numbers, hardcore MMA fans will appreciate fighters like Khabib, his record and his fighting style...the general viewer wants to be entertained they want stand up fighting , blood...they want Lawlor Vs McDonald...they want McGregor not a 5 round wrestling match on the ground.

I'm sorry but that's the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

He sounds plastered. Press conferences have been done to death, slowly getting less and less funny.

painful to listen to from start to finish, really has nothing funny to say other than to interrupt and shout over khabib at every opportunity

It's a fair cry from previous pressers which were quite funny

BigMo1 wrote: »
    It's hilarious that people fall for this routine every time. He's achieved this reaction in a room with only press. People either love it or hate it. Both groups will watch. The man is a promotional genius.

If McGregor came out in leprechaun print gimp suit with a ball gag in his mouth and Dana White's mother riding him with a strap on you'd still say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

John_D80 wrote: »
    Have Tesco stopped selling Jameson then? Last I saw they had Jameson on their shelves alongside plenty other decent quality whiskeys.

Is Jameson "exclusive" to Tesco??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What’s the deal with him having two belts set in front of him? He’s not a champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Is Jameson "exclusive" to Tesco??

Wait, are you mocking the fact Tesco is the sole distributor of his whiskey?

I would have thought securing such a massive company could only be seen as a good thing?

• Advertisement

Journal.ie summed it up well. "A bad sitcom without a laugh track".

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Chael loved it :D

Got as far as "Conor did a great job artistically"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Anyone that buys his Whiskey because of last nights performance needs to get their heads examined.

Without the crowd there you can really hear what he says, and frankly it doesn't even make much sense. He messes up simple quips, he actually cant even complete a sentence without mixing words up. When he got onto the politics side he made little sense, you could tell he had been given a few lines about Chechnya and decided to roll with it, it'd be on par with Khabib shouting over something about Northern Ireland and making reference to Gerry Adams and a few disparaging remarks. You can actually tell the moments were normally he makes comments and the crowd take over and cheer, without that it fell flat.

Also John Kavanagh is just a lacky now, he once apparently gave out to McGgregor for over celebrating as its not the Martial Artists way. Well he needs to look at what this has become, McGregor carrying on like a drunk on the nightlink. He also liked Dillon Danis tweet about Ali and his son Noah. He carries on like he's Mister Miyagi, yet is happy to sit back and endorse that carry on last night. Nothing smart, nothing clever it was just abusing someone and not letting them speak. Also, the whole "update the software" stick is gone out the window and its turned into "bash the hardware". he's a rent a quote now, he cashed in and wrote a book which a 12 year old could have written. The sooner (this version of them) they ride off into the sunset, the better.

What’s the deal with him having two belts set in front of him? He’s not a champion.

His frail ego couldn't handle his opponent having a real one so maybe he thought 2 fake ones would look better?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well that was poor.  I expected more classic McGregor wit and banter and maybe even see him needle Khabib a bit.  Nope, he looked pretty drunk, had nothing witty to say and Khabib was completely unflustered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I don't buy this that is the real him , he isn't putting on a show , He would get an Oscar if he can act like that,
    The acting is when he pretends to be humble martial artist

glasso wrote: »

His frail ego couldn't handle his opponent having a real one so maybe he thought 2 fake ones would look better?
    To be fair he's not the first who's had a belt taking without actually losing it to still call himself champion, Look at Fury doing the same at the minute,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I don't buy this that is the real him , he isn't putting on a show , He would get an Oscar if he can act like that,
    The acting is when he pretends to be humble martial artist

100%

Wait, are you mocking the fact Tesco is the sole distributor of his whiskey?

I would have thought securing such a massive company could only be seen as a good thing?

If you have a properly amazing product, the way he goes on about his (Bushmills) whiskey, you don't sell it in the exclusively in the local supermarket. Same reason Prada aren't in partnership with Penneys.

I must say I got a good laugh when Khabib asked why he spoke English, McGregor attempt at Irish was shocking haha ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Nope, he looked pretty drunk, had nothing witty to say and Khabib was completely unflustered.
    Yeah sure why wouldn't he be hammered 2 weeks before a fight he's been breaking his arse for? Makes sense.

I must say I got a good laugh when Khabib asked why he spoke English, McGregor attempt at Irish was shocking haha ,

He went to an Irish speaking school aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He wished Dustin and Nate well and said both great fighters.

Even though he done exactly the same too both in the press conferences with them.

Showing he still has a humble side.

Anyone who takes him seriously or gets offended, try not take it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Even though he done exactly the same too both in the press conferences with them.

One of the few level headed posts I've read today

Some of you lads need to get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I just cant see this doing well in PPVs . Well compared to normal fighters but not over 2 million like people are projecting.

Cant see us getting the real numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

This! I thought it was great in terms of MMA car crash TV but Conor has lost the head, he was clearly drunk last night. He did succeed in riling Khabib though, who completely lost his cool about half way through but McGregor was so manic he looked composed in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If you have a properly amazing product, the way he goes on about his (Bushmills) whiskey, you don't sell it in the exclusively in the local supermarket. Same reason Prada aren't in partnership with Penneys.

McGregor knows his product sales aren't going to be the lads that buy a bottle of whiskey and has a glass at the birth of a child, or a special wedding anniversary.

His product sales are going to come from the lads that buy suits in River Island, and go halves on a 1er bag of sniff. Tesco being one of the biggest retailers in the UK and Ireland is a solid partner, and having the logo on the canvas is a move noone else in the roster has been able to even contemplate.

The suit line, and McGregorFAST may have flopped, and I don't expect the whiskey to be a record breaker, or a taste sensation, but it'll sell enough to be a tidy sum, and it keeps his name out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Lol at all the over reactions.

You're all watching love him or hate him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

dulux99 wrote: »
    One of the few level headed posts I've read today

Some of you lads need to get a grip

No he didn't do that to Dustin and Nate, last night he went on like an absolute Cream Cracker. against the other two he remained calm and said he was going to do "this and That" to them, last night he just kept saying the smell of "Sh1te off ya". It was gutter level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This. The second Diaz fight was more or less the same, yet the moment it was over the two of them were shaking hands and he was calling Diaz a warrior. It'll be the exact same after this one even if McGregor wins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement