Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I just cant see this doing well in PPVs . Well compared to normal fighters but not over 2 million like people are projecting.

Cant see us getting the real numbers

Press conference drew over 750K viewers across Facebook, YouTube and Twitter -- and that's only from the official UFC stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Didn't he just say "Can I go to the toilet on the bus?"

Did he get the translation wrong or just that he could have come up with something better?

He's appealing to Irish people by using the one piece of Irish everybody knows.
    The bus part clearly referring to Khabib ****ting himself on the bus as he was scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Effects wrote: »
    He's appealing to Irish people by using the one piece of Irish everybody knows.
    The bus part clearly referring to Khabib ****ting himself on the bus as he was scared.

I know what he meant to say and IMO it was in perfect Irish but people calling him out for going to an Irish speaking school and saying he would have been better not attempting any Irish?

My own Irish isn't the best so I thought it was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Nal wrote: »
    Journal.ie summed it up well. "A bad sitcom without a laugh track".

top quote from reddit too. which was posted first? not like the journal to rip stuff from reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One thing no one has mentioned, did anyone notice when he was answering the question on training camp and he said its like a war zone, he mentioned, broken orbital bones, swallowed teeth and " a broke foot " , When he said that he gestured down to his own foot , wasn't there a rumour on here last week he hurt his foot ?
    I was surprised the lad who asked the question didn't follow up on it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Honestly lads the passion with which some people on here hate McGregor is actually a bit unsettling to read. Hundreds and hundreds of posts dedicated to someone you don't like, analysing every little thing about him. Life's too short. Cut him from your life. Be happy. Go pet a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

One thing no one has mentioned, did anyone notice when he was answering the question on training camp and he said its like a war zone, he mentioned, broken orbital bones, swallowed teeth and " a broke foot " , When he said that he gestured down to his own foot , wasn't there a rumour on here last week he hurt his foot ?

I did notice that yes, it really worried me tbh. I was wondering was I over analysing it because I didn't see anyone else comment on it on twitter.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Honestly lads the passion with which some people on here hate McGregor is actually a bit unsettling to read. Hundreds and hundreds of posts dedicated to someone you don't like, analysing every little thing about him. Life's too short. Cut him from your life. Be happy. Go pet a dog.
    It's possible to like him as a fighter and enjoy watching his fights and also think he makes a fool of himself when speaking ,
    I love watching the guy fight, but his rants are cringe worthy ,
    Its ok to have discussion about it , that's kinda the point of the whole thread

dulux99 wrote: »

I did notice that yes, it really worried me tbh. I was wondering was I over analysing it because I didn't see anyone else comment on it on twitter.
    Ye I thought the same, but he defo looked like he was speaking about his own foot the way he gestured down towards it,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You're giving the MMA media way too much credit.

• Advertisement

Fans complain about pull outs which is understandable, but id prefer a guy to pull out if there below 85 % fit,
    We want to see guys fight when both are as fit as possible, Obviously with the sport it is its very hard to be 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I know what he meant to say and IMO it was in perfect Irish but people calling him out for going to an Irish speaking school and saying he would have been better not attempting any Irish?

My own Irish isn't the best so I thought it was grand

He has been addressed in Irish before and admitted he was a bit rusty but he went to a Gaelscoil. I think he said somethin else like "nil aon problem le mo English" too , so not perfect translations (Bearla? my own Irish is fairly ****e tbh). It was grand though, not many people will be able to analyse his irish anyway so he got away with it.

He couldve reacted by saying something like the Irish took the English language and improved it, made it our own and that "irish" way of speaking is unique. And flipped Khabibs insult on its head that way.

Khabib was ready for the language thing you could tell. McGregor had brought up language use with Dos Anjos previously, saying he was a wannabe Yank speaking English over Portuguese. And people criticized McGregor at this point since he's an Irish person speaking English. Khabib was ready for that one.

Very surprised he didnt try make himself out to be the good bloke who's done work with homeless people, while Khabib and his lot have been apparently caught making fun of a homeless fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Did he get the translation wrong or just that he could have come up with something better?

yeah he tried to say khabib went toilet on the bus but mangled it,

He went to a gael scoil and can only say the one sentence everyone can say is shocking as he started by shouting that he can speak irish

yeah he tried to say khabib went toilet on the bus but mangled it,

He went to a gael scoil and can only say the one sentence everyone can say is shocking as he started by shouting that he can speak irish
    I have to say I dislike Khabib he is a proper 2 face like Jon Jones
    He had a go at a reporter for saying hello in Muslim and then wishing Conor well on the whiskey ,Saying you can't say that if you wish whiskey well , Same time he's making a fool of homeless people and hanging around with killers in Dagtastan for cash, he's no innocent devote practising Muslim ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So his foot injury did happen??

Hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

The photographer that he has following him around getting him a glass was embarrassing. Poor lad is nothing more than a lacky, he says he's an Artist but in reality he just follows him around taking photos and carrying **** for him.

John Kavanagh is another who needs to look at himself, no more respect the opponent speal he loves to come out with. he's on the gravy train now, he wont criticise Mcg for his carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

PLOPS wrote: »
    The photographer that he has following him around getting him a glass was embarrassing. Poor lad is nothing more than a lacky, he says he's an Artist but in reality he just follows him around taking photos and carrying **** for him.

John Kavanagh is another who needs to look at himself, no more respect the opponent speal he loves to come out with. he's on the gravy train now, he wont criticise Mcg for his carry on.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

:rolleyes:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I think the most interesting thing about this fight is that even the best fight analysts and experts are saying the same things as the most casual of fans.

It's a proper old school striker vs grappler.
    "If Khabib can't get the takedown he gets knocked out. If Conor gets taken down he will get tired".

I've heard ex-fighters like Hardy, Sonnen, Florian give the same analysis. I'm not an expert but haven't heard anyone tell me anything I don't already know which in itself makes it a complete pick em fight.

My 2 cents are that too many people are overestimating or rather underestimating Conor's cardio. If it goes into the later rounds it doesn't necessarily mean that he will be gassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It's possible to like him as a fighter and enjoy watching his fights and also think he makes a fool of himself when speaking ,
    I love watching the guy fight, but his rants are cringe worthy ,
    Its ok to have discussion about it , that's kinda the point of the whole thread

Discussion is one thing, and should be welcomed, at all times. But I believe what dulux99 is referring to is the complete and blatant irrational hatred that seems to be almost all consuming for some posters.

Its actually baffling to be honest. If I had the same disdain for a person/place/thing that some here seem to have, I certainly wouldn't be seeking to expose myself to it to such a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

John_D80 wrote: »
    Discussion is one thing, and should be welcomed, at all times. But I believe what dulux99 is referring to is the complete and blatant irrational hatred that seems to be almost all consuming for some posters.

Its actually baffling to be honest. If I had the same disdain for a person/place/thing that some here seem to have, I certainly wouldn't be seeking to expose myself to it to such a degree.

It's mission accomplished for McG - he has you talking and watching. Here come the boxing lads again, not seen since the Mayweather fight. They've found some time to post in between the self-flagellation and knocking one out into a sock. Good to see ya's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

But that foot injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It's mission accomplished for McG - he has you talking and watching. Here come the boxing lads again, not seen since the Mayweather fight. They've found some time to post in between the self-flagellation and knocking one out into a sock. Good to see ya's.

Not quite sure I follow but I think you are basically agreeing with or did I take you up wrong?

Or are you slagging me off? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Does anyone know who the general consensus of Russian fans are siding with? I know Conor had a very big fanbase in Russia before the Khabib deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Not quite sure I follow but I think you are basically agreeing with or did I take you up wrong?

Or are you slagging me off? :-)

Agreeing. I also don't get investing time in something irks you, but it's all a bit of laugh I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Does anyone know who the general consensus of Russian fans are siding with? I know Conor had a very big fanbase in Russia before the Khabib deal.

They're all backing Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There was a video, from mmajunkie, where a reporter went around UsfC Moscow asking fans who they had. And it was about a 50/50 split.
    Take what you will from that. Wouldn't be hard to fudge the numbers. But why would they bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

What was the logic of not letting the public into the press conference? Creates so much more Buzz around the whole event and makes watching it back much more enjoyable. It's not meant to be a serious event anyway it's just sh1t talk so why not let people in.
    Still love that guy's question to Eddie Alvarez at the previous fight about not going the distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

You're giving the MMA media way too much credit.

that new yorker guy in the cap was brilliant...

"hey yo khabib...whats your view on only winning on points in the toughest fight of your life against the beast that is Ragin Al Iaquinta??"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Some seriously highbrow stuff right there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement