Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If it goes into the later rounds it doesn't necessarily mean that he will be gassed.

If it goes into the later rounds, that most likely means McGregor will have spent a lot of the fight on his back with that monster on top of him. He'll be dog tired, but it'll not be anything to do with not having a good enough tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

My 2 cents are that too many people are overestimating or rather underestimating Conor's cardio. If it goes into the later rounds it doesn't necessarily mean that he will be gassed.

Is it fair to say the extra weight he was carrying for the Diaz fights could have affected his Cardio? 155 is more of a natural weight for him to be fighting at and there was no sign of tiredness in the Alvarez fight. Hopefully this will help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Is it fair to say the extra weight he was carrying for the Diaz fights could have affected his Cardio? 155 is more of a natural weight for him to be fighting at and there was no sign of tiredness in the Alvarez fight. Hopefully this will help him.

The extra weight was absolutely a factor. However, his gas tank is still one of the weaker elements of his game but the fact he rallied in round 4 against Nate was impressive. The cardio-heavy prep for Floyd will have helped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Rory28 wrote: »
    To be fair the belts are his. He just isn't the current title holder. All former champs still have the belts they won.

Is this the new thing? Sure that would be like Liverpool parading the European cup
    They won in Istanbul in their new team pic every season. Some people do anything to justify silly antics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

John_D80 wrote: »
    It's possible to like him as a fighter and enjoy watching his fights and also think he makes a fool of himself when speaking ,
    I love watching the guy fight, but his rants are cringe worthy ,
    Its ok to have discussion about it , that's kinda the point of the whole thread

Discussion is one thing, and should be welcomed, at all times. But I believe what dulux99 is referring to is the complete and blatant irrational hatred that seems to be almost all consuming for some posters.

Its actually baffling to be honest. If I had the same disdain for a person/place/thing that some here seem to have, I certainly wouldn't be seeking to expose myself to it to such a degree.
    Correct.

I didn't criticise anyone for discussing him or his fights. My post was aimed at the select few in this thread who are obsessively hateful towards him. I can see why people think he's a prick, I've thought it myself at times. But it's obsessive hatred spewing from these people and I just don't understand why you'd dedicate so much time and energy into hating a public figure, it's just bizarre.

There's FIT and there's fighting Fit, we'll see which is which on the 6th really.
    hopefully he's loaded antics will give Khabib pause for thought to maybe change his tactics and at such a late date he may feel scrambled and it goes south.

when he told eddie, "you'll be diving and shooting for you life". I think that prompted eddie to suppose McGregor had trained for such a thing and then eddie decided not to do exactly that. It gave Eddie one option, try duke it out with the best striker of the day, and it was too late by then for him t adapt.
    was that the plan?? you'd wonder. and with eddies guts gone after the first hard punch, he was literally in shock thereafter.

Cardio wise, yes he was younger but he looked great against Holloway, a real 4 or 8 point striker whichever way you look at it. he was like an elastic band too, same for Brimage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I have to say I dislike Khabib he is a proper 2 face like Jon Jones
    He had a go at a reporter for saying hello in Muslim and then wishing Conor well on the whiskey ,Saying you can't say that if you wish whiskey well , Same time he's making a fool of homeless people and hanging around with killers in Dagtastan for cash, he's no innocent devote practising Muslim ,

There's a Muslim language? :D I know what you mean, the traditional Muslim greeting in Arabic

Interesting side ISIS actually use khabib in propaganda in the Caucuses, they call him a false Muslim because he fights for money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

This is Khabib's first real grudge match. A fight where there's plenty at stake, with the whole fight world watching. Who knows how he'll handle the pressure, I can't see him succumbing to it like Aldo or Eddie but who knows. In fairness to McGregor, he's been there before plenty of times and excelled. This is nothing compare to the hype and interest that was the Floyd fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Is this the new thing? Sure that would be like Liverpool parading the European cup
    They won in Istanbul in their new team pic every season. Some people do anything to justify silly antics.

Remind me again what do those 5 stars around the crest mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There's a Muslim language?

It can be argued that way. The Quran is only the Quran when it's in Arabic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

dulux99 wrote: »
    Correct.

I didn't criticise anyone for discussing him or his fights. My post was aimed at the select few in this thread who are obsessively hateful towards him. I can see why people think he's a prick, I've thought it myself at times. But it's obsessive hatred spewing from these people and I just don't understand why you'd dedicate so much time and energy into hating a public figure, it's just bizarre.

It is definitely bizarre. I always get a chuckle out of seeing Weldoninho liking every post that's even mildly critical of Conor. This has been going on for years, even as a lurker it's impossible not to notice. Ricero is another who does the same. It's fascinating to see people spend so much of their time following and discussing someone they claim to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The belts in the UFC, in essence, are exactly that - "silly antics".

The "big money" title defenses against the #1 or #2 contenders in the divisions are not very common.

Conor never lost those belts in the cage. He can walk around with them all he wants. He's the #1 fighter in both divisions and P4P #2, that's a fact.

Khabib beat a guy ranked outside the top 10 for his belt. Silly antics once might say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

This is a big if but IF he is drinking etc two weeks out how would it affect his cardio etc?

I know it’s not certain he was or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rory28 wrote: »
    To be fair the belts are his. He just isn't the current title holder. All former champs still have the belts they won.

No it wouldn't at all,
    How hard is it to understand  Conor never lost it , Liverpool they would have to be beaten for someone else to win it,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have to say I dislike Khabib he is a proper 2 face like Jon Jones
    He had a go at a reporter for saying hello in Muslim and then wishing Conor well on the whiskey ,Saying you can't say that if you wish whiskey well , Same time he's making a fool of homeless people and hanging around with killers in Dagtastan for cash, he's no innocent devote practising Muslim ,

There's a Muslim language? :D I know what you mean, the traditional Muslim greeting in Arabic

Interesting side ISIS actually use khabib in propaganda in the Caucuses, they call him a false Muslim because he fights for money
    Not the language but the Muslim greeting of As-salamu alaykum ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

This is a big if but IF he is drinking etc two weeks out how would it affect his cardio etc?

The alcohol fumes would open up his bronchioles, allowing him to breathe freer and deeper.

The healing properties of the ancient water, where druidic fighters washed away their battle wounds, strengthen the lungs, leaving him ready for a battle cry that will stun the unworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The alcohol fumes would open up his bronchioles, allowing him to breathe freer and deeper.

The healing properties of the ancient water, where druidic fighters washed away their battle wounds, strengthen the lungs, leaving him ready for a battle cry that will stun the unworthy.

I was half expecting a reply like that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Have to agree with Dana and his 'dark' comment Conor was straining to shout at Khabib, what did Khabib mean by ask Artem... There is nothing witty or clever about screaming c**t at someone and referencing sh*****. I miss the old conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

No it wouldn't at all,
    How hard is it to understand  Conor never lost it , Liverpool they would have to be beaten for someone else to win it,

Or Liverpool could refuse to play in the championship the following year yet still claim to be the champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Have to agree with Dana and his 'dark' comment Conor was straining to shout at Khabib, what did Khabib mean by ask Artem... There is nothing witty or clever about screaming c**t at someone and referencing sh*****. I miss the old conor.

You will never see the old conor again.

I watched the presser again, Khabib is so much larger. Conor is so lean, Khabib is heavy.

Also im still cringing a little for the mock russian accent Conor put on regarding the Putin bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

You'd need to have him bouncing off another Irish man that could give it back to him. Like when Eddie tried commenting about the rumour of him having another girl pregnant or the fact he was on welfare. The delivery fell flat as they can't deliver the slagging right. There is so many things you could say to him to get under his skin, Like when McGreger said last night "your Da smells of sh1te". Conors Da is a laughing stock who is milking his sons celeb, posing for pictures with a peace sign, another Irish man would target that. his sisters would be easy targets too, the dog groomer watsapp msg that went about.

Imagine someone said to him "so what if you are wearing a flash suit, 5 years ago you hadn't got a pot to pi55 in and you robbed money from john Kavanagh your coach and stopped taking his calls" can you imagine his face.

even last night when he said "i don't message men", you could say "i thought you were a family man, yet you are going around ridin birds behind your girlfriends back"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It was only 'dark' because there was no audience and it seemed more raw IMO.
    Commanchie wrote: »
    You will never see the old conor again.
    Why wouldn't we? You could see this was personal to Conor. Who's to say the next fight against Diaz won't be the same Conor of a couple years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I’d love to know more about this too.

Had a quick chat with a friend who’d know a bit about it earlier and he reckoned it would impact his hydration in the short term which could be fixed with water and sodium - training in that period would increase chances of injury. Depending on how rigid his training & weight cut plan was for the next 2 weeks the major issue was the knock on effect of time lost to the plan.

Said he’d be concerned if it was at 145 pounds where his weight cut would be a fine art but at 155 he should have enough flexibility 2 weeks out for it not to be an issue

Why wouldn't we? You could see this was personal to Conor. Who's to say the next fight against Diaz won't be the same Conor of a couple years ago?

Its the same performance as before, Just this time it was forced. He went between his Americanised accent and a Dublin accent, "I dont a bollox",
    Then Bizarelly he started with a Russian accent. I Dont see Conor fullfilling the 6 fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Commanchie wrote: »
    Its the same performance as before, Just this time it was forced. He went between his Americanised accent and a Dublin accent, "I dont a bollox",
    Then Bizarelly he started with a Russian accent. I Dont see Conor fullfilling the 6 fights.

8 fights:rolleyes:

bobmalooka wrote: »
    I’d love to know more about this too.

Had a quick chat with a friend who’d know a bit about it earlier and he reckoned it would impact his hydration in the short term which could be fixed with water and sodium - training in that period would increase chances of injury. Depending on how rigid his training & weight cut plan was for the next 2 weeks the major issue was the knock on effect of time lost to the plan.

Said he’d be concerned if it was at 145 pounds where his weight cut would be a fine art but at 155 he should have enough flexibility 2 weeks out for it not to be an issue

Conor wont have any issue on his cut, Look how lean he is in all his photos and even last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The belts in the UFC, in essence, are exactly that - "silly antics".

The "big money" title defenses against the #1 or #2 contenders in the divisions are not very common.

Conor never lost those belts in the cage. He can walk around with them all he wants. He's the #1 fighter in both divisions and P4P #2, that's a fact.

Khabib beat a guy ranked outside the top 10 for his belt. Silly antics once might say.

Conor simply isn't #1 at FW, 3 years since he fought there it's moved on it's undeniable he was top of the pile while he was there though LW it hasn't really been established yet, Khabibs fight was a replacement bout when Mcgregor did that against a #5 LW he lost.

P4P are a joke GSP is #5 hasn't lost since 07 and his sole 2 losses were redeemed, don't see him going around with the belts he retracted even if he didn't lose them in cage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement