Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Greygoose costs more than Smirnoff and while I'm no conissouer, I'd hazard a guess theres not an awful lot of difference in taste/quality.

It's giving the impression of being prestige while actually affordable.

Maybe it bombs, maybe it works. But he's the most famous irish person in the world right now probably and whisky is probably second only to Guinness for a drink synonymous with Ireland so makes sense.

Seeing plenty of people buying it ironically now, but they're buying it which is a start

Greygoose definitely tastes better than smirnoff. My whiskey of choice is green spot it's 60 quid a bottle, I find Jameson undrinkable in comparison certainly as one to drink straight.

I just had a taste of his whiskey there, it's not bad. Very smooth and easy to drink but not much depth of flavour to it. It's a bit JD I thought and a bit overpriced at 35. More of a mixer not one you'd drink on the rocks. You could buy jamey cask mate for 30 which is a really nice whiskey aged in stout barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Who was refused entry to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

My money would be on one of those Murray lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Ah I'm out.
    Bought all his PPV up til now, can't stand the person i see now.
    Hope Khabib wrestles some humility into him

Hope he comes back to who i thought he was, so much money not sure i wouldn't be as bad at his age .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Ah I'm out.
    Bought all his PPV up til now, can't stand the person i see now.
    Hope Khabib wrestles some humility into him

Hope he comes back to who i thought he was, so much money not sure i wouldn't be as bad at his age .

Bye

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Khabib's Dad, seemingly he did actually smell of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Tony. Smell of cringe and Lucozade off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gintonious wrote: »
    Does it not cost more than Jameson though? Young lads make choices with their wallet, although I am sure you can look cool and be broke at the same time.

It's 20 Euro at the airport. No idea what the full retail is in Ireland.
    Based on reviews, and the pricing. Everything lin e up tbh. It's not going to match Greenspot, Redbreast, etc. But it's also a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    Based on reviews, and the pricing. Everything lin e up tbh. It's not going to match Greenspot, Redbreast, etc. But it's also a fraction of the price.

Think thats only if you're travelling outside of EU, 34 for internal eu flights

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    Think thats only if you're travelling outside of EU, 34 for internal eu flights
    Yeah,correct. Sorry I probably wasn't clear. When I said "at the airport" I meant the duty free. I only really ever fly from outside, so forget there's no duty free within the EU.

Mellor wrote: »

it's made by bushmills and is essentially a 3 year old whiskey.

the base bushmills 3 year old whiskey is 20 euro in Tesco

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263003208

so essentially you're paying a lot more just for the McGregor association.

as others have said something like Jameson IPA caskmates (which is much better than the normal jameson which I wouldn't care for or the stout caskmates one) is a much better whiskey for the same or less money (30 euro). or bushmills black bush is also a very nice whiskey at a decent price (better than the 10 year old bushmills imo) - 26 yoyo for 70cl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

So could someone who knows more about this stuff than me explain.... Is it essentially just Bushmills whiskey? Would CMG have bought the license for one of the Bushmills recipe and just repackaged it essentially?

dulux99 wrote: »
    So could someone who knows more about this stuff than me explain.... Is it essentially just Bushmills whiskey? Would CMG have bought the license for one of the Bushmills recipe and just repackaged it essentially?

afaik bushmills created some blend and stuck the name on it. McGregor may have had some part in tasting it to produce the final blend or at least that's the story they are putting out for branding reasons.

all production, distribution etc would be handled by bushmills. McGregor is getting some unknown cut per bottle probably. he fancies himself as making out like a bandit like puff daddy with Ciroc vodka. surprised that the UFC let him bring the whisky into the press event for free marketing - maybe they are getting a cut too!

glasso wrote: »
    afaik bushmills created some blend and stuck the name on it. McGregor may have had some part in tasting it to produce the final blend or at least that's the story they are putting out for branding reasons.

all production, distribution etc would be handled by bushmills. McGregor is getting some unknown cut per bottle probably. he fancies himself as making out like a bandit like puff daddy with Ciroc vodka. surprised that the UFC let him bring the whisky into the press event for free marketing - maybe they are getting a cut too!

Haha. That's gas. If you listen to McGregor you'd think he built the distillery from the ground up. Such is the silver tongued way of the salesman though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It's an official sponsor for the fight and will be on the canvas.

If I had to guess, free sponsorship of proper 12 would be a stipulation of his bout agreement. Its no coincidence its only come out in the last week or so.

It's a 3 year old base blend. He would've of worked with the master distiller and taste tasted some blends and picked what he liked.

It's from a top distillery, it's not going to be bad whiskey but a young one at just the bare legal minimum of 3 years old. It's overpriced but your paying for the name like most celebrity endorsed products.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of someone who's tasted it and knows their whiskey. I'm certainly not one of those people, I enjoy a Jameson but I drink it with coke like a wuss.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of someone who's tasted it and knows their whiskey. I'm certainly not one of those people, I enjoy a Jameson but I drink it with coke like a wuss.

There's loads of reviews online but my opinion is below. I'd be a whiskey drinker not a conniseur but id like to think I know a good one.

I just had a taste of his whiskey there, it's not bad. Very smooth and easy to drink but not much depth of flavour to it. It's a bit JD I thought and a bit overpriced at 35. More of a mixer not one you'd drink on the rocks. You could buy jamey cask mate for 30 which is a really nice whiskey aged in stout barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You asked so I'll try to give as much detail as possible, apologies if long winded.

To be legally qualified as Irish whiskey, distillate must be aged in barrels for an absolute minimum of three years. Despite the number of new distilleries springing up around Ireland, very few of them produced stock old enough to be packaged and sold themselves. Teeling whiskey at the minute, for example, despite having their own new distillery, is made from stock from the Cooley distillery that the family used to own and took with them when they sold up a good few years ago

What a lot of smaller or independent producers do is buy stock from the more established distilleries (Bushmills, Old Middleton, Cooley etc) and use it to produce their own bottlings. This can be done in a number of ways - you can buy aged stock and then blend and bottle it yourself or you can buy young stock and age it yourself in your own barrels and then bottle. Or a combination of both. This is an entirely legitimate practice and in no way reflects the "quality" of a whiskey, or more specifically doesn't in any way reflect a reduction in quality. As Mellor pointed out, Green Spot is one of Ireland's best and most historically famous whiskeys. Mitchell & Sons wine merchants used to buy distillate from Irish distillers and finish it in wine casks before bottling. These days production is naturally more centralised and industrialised.

McGregor's whiskey is a blended whiskey - a mix of malt (made from all barley) and grain (made from a mix containing grains other than just barley) whiskey. Malt whiskey production is comparatively difficult and expensive, grain whiskey cheap. Pepper Twelve I believe someone said above is a 10/90% blend of malt/grain. This would likely be at the lower end of the spectrum (Black Bush for example is a blend that is "majority" malt whiskey) but that, again, doesn't necessarily mean that it's of poorer quality. What McGregor has done is "work" with Bushmills to produce a blend (this basically means the distillers at Bushmills will have made up lots of different blends that are slightly different from each other and he picked the one he likes best) that tastes grand, given them the thumbs up and raced to get to market ASAP. They've presumably handled aging and bottling for him too.

McGregor's Eire Born company owns the Proper Twelve brand. How the actual ownership of the whiskey breaks down could be a different story. For example, he might buy the stock outright from Bushmills and then sell it and keep the profits to himself or it could be more of a genuine partnership. Either way, all the stuff about having his own distillery or working hard in his distillery was all just bluster/promotion.

rob316 wrote: »
    There's loads of reviews online but my opinion is below. I'd be a whiskey drinker not a conniseur but id like to think I know a good one.

try the caskmates jameson IPA - better than the stout one imo - worth a try anyways.

Obviously I can't review it without tasting it but one thing I would say is that from what I've seen of it on TV, it is very, very dark for so young a whiskey, as the naturally dark colours come from the aging process where the spirit absorbs tannins from the barrel.

What this means is that they're almost certainly using a LOT of caramel colouring in it, E150. Again this is an entirely legitimate process and is done the world over, but would perhaps be frowned upon if done so excessively as it can change the flavour of the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

try the caskmates jameson IPA - better than the stout one imo - worth a try anyways.

I like the Blenders Dog, but again it's a drinking whiskey. 1 piece of ice, and a jug of water please.

Proper 12 is a drinkin' whiskey, designed to be drank with a mixer, and aimed at the "I'm a baller" market.

Different market, different marketing strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Obviously I can't review it without tasting it but one thing I would say is that from what I've seen of it on TV, it is very, very dark for so young a whiskey, as the naturally dark colours come from the aging process where the spirit absorbs tannins from the barrel.

What this means is that they're almost certainly using a LOT of caramel colouring in it, E150. Again this is an entirely legitimate process and is done the world over, but would perhaps be frowned upon if done so excessively as it can change the flavour of the whiskey.

Younger than his initial "Notorious" whiskey claims, as well.

Drake has a whiskey brand about to go public through an IPO and his is a 4 year old $40 bottle of bourbon which would appeal to a much smaller market considering the market leader JD in America is about $15 a bottle.

Definitely money to be made, I reckon hell do well worldwide but won't make a dent in the Irish market. The Middleton distillery own the market.

Proper 12 is a drinkin' whiskey, designed to be drank with a mixer, and aimed at the "I'm a baller" market.

Really all that means is "non premium". It's effectively the same tier as Jameson etc and they aren't "designed" to be drunk with a mixer, it's just about marketing. Jameson and ginger, for example, is something that's really only been promoted relatively recently as younger Irish people moved away from whiskey towards vodka. Can't imagine many of our aul lads drank too much of it. On nights out in bars and clubs, as much as flavour, people want/need refreshment. Vodka/gin/rum etc all mix easily with cold drinks and ice, so whiskey producers try to latch on to the same idea.

As far the "I'm a baller" market, this will be hilarious to see unfold. Imagine lads in fancy clubs in the States getting bottle service for what is basically gonna be at most on a par with bog standard Jameson thinking they're the ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Haha. That's gas. If you listen to McGregor you'd think he built the distillery from the ground up. Such is the silver tongued way of the salesman though.

Coupled with the unquestioning gullibility of the lame brained it's a sure fire sales and marketing strategy.

• Advertisement

Colouring is common enough, provides a more consistent color for the whiskey drinker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement