Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rob316 wrote: »
    Obviously I can't review it without tasting it but one thing I would say is that from what I've seen of it on TV, it is very, very dark for so young a whiskey, as the naturally dark colours come from the aging process where the spirit absorbs tannins from the barrel.

What this means is that they're almost certainly using a LOT of caramel colouring in it, E150. Again this is an entirely legitimate process and is done the world over, but would perhaps be frowned upon if done so excessively as it can change the flavour of the whiskey.

Colouring is common enough, provides a more consistent color for the whiskey drinker.

Which I acknowledged directly in the post. Over colouring (which is what I specifically referred to) is certainly sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Really all that means is "non premium". It's effectively the same tier as Jameson etc and they aren't "designed" to be drunk with a mixer, it's just about marketing. Jameson and ginger, for example, is something that's really only been promoted relatively recently as younger Irish people moved away from whiskey towards vodka. Can't imagine many of our aul lads drank too much of it. On nights out in bars and clubs, as much as flavour, people want/need refreshment. Vodka/gin/rum etc all mix easily with cold drinks and ice, so whiskey producers try to latch on to the same idea.

As far the "I'm a baller" market, this will be hilarious to see unfold. Imagine lads in fancy clubs in the States getting bottle service for what is basically gonna be at most on a par with bog standard Jameson thinking they're the ****.

Already happens around Ireland, with lads paying 100 bills or more for Smirnoff.

It's the image your paying for, not the quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Obviously I can't review it without tasting it but one thing I would say is that from what I've seen of it on TV, it is very, very dark for so young a whiskey, as the naturally dark colours come from the aging process where the spirit absorbs tannins from the barrel.

What this means is that they're almost certainly using a LOT of caramel colouring in it, E150. Again this is an entirely legitimate process and is done the world over, but would perhaps be frowned upon if done so excessively as it can change the flavour of the whiskey.

So its full of chemicals :rolleyes:of course it is

So its full of chemicals :rolleyes:of course it is
    A chemical. Whiskey production laws are very strict about what additives can be used. E150 is the only one. Most whiskeys/whiskies will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

I wasn't overly impressed with some of McGregors antics at the press conference. The wit and humour of old was certaintly missing. However, I do think the "terrorist snitch" jibe at ali was a stroke of genius. If he had just gone for just "terrorist", Ali would have had still had support from certain quarters . If he had gone just for snitch, some of the US audience may have thought, fair play Ali has helped protect our country etc. etc. But "terrorist snitch" completely alienates both sides. The only thing worst than a terrorist is a terrorist snitch. Quality.

• Advertisement

How many more years has this runt in him before he does the decent thing and f*cks off to piss away his money.

Mod: Multiple warnings across the read..fighter bashing..forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

How many more years has this runt in him before he does the decent thing and f*cks off to piss away his money.

U ok hun?

U ok hun?

just a question ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Only watched it last night but I'll give my take on it.

It was very cringe and I was watching through my fingers at parts.

Couple of funny lines but nowhere near as good as his best pressers. Maybe the general American public who buy ppvs prefer this roaring lunatic persona than a calm guy with sharp one liners.

The goal of these thing is to 1) get into his opponents head and cause a possible mistake and 2) Sell ppvs
    He did both of those things last night I feel. Khabib definitely got a bit agitated in parts and was getting wound up. I wasn't expecting that and found it surprising. Whether it helps Conor during the fight is another matter but it's worked well for him in the past and it's certainly worth a go.

This thread was as cringe as usual but on the plus side I now know a hell of a lot more about whisky than I did an hour ago.

Out of curiosity, do many people believe that press conferences like this have any significant impact on PPV sales?

I can't imagine there's too many who are in a position to buy it who are completely unaware of the fight and think "There's that McGregor fella acting the mad ****er, I'd better go and buy the fight"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

mdwexford wrote: »
    Couple of funny lines but nowhere near as good as his best pressers. Maybe the general American public who buy ppvs prefer this roaring lunatic persona than a calm guy with sharp one liners.

Outside of the Conor fanboy brigade most people think he's a drugged up idiot at this stage. I wonder if its his doing to live up to his Notorious nickname or if UFC is insisting he act like this.

One way or another after this fight we'll be free of the Conor circus for another couple of years.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Outside of the Conor fanboy brigade most people think he's a drugged up idiot at this stage. I wonder if its his doing to live up to his Notorious nickname or if UFC is insisting he act like this.

One way or another after this fight we'll be free of the Conor circus for another couple of years.

be careful you might get a warning for not worshiping at the alter of Conor Mcgregor peace be upon his name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Out of curiosity, do many people believe that press conferences like this have any significant impact on PPV sales?

I can't imagine there's too many who are in a position to buy it who are completely unaware of the fight and think "There's that McGregor fella acting the mad ****er, I'd better go and buy the fight"

It’s advertising essentially. I often wonder myself if it does anything but at the end of the day, these events cost a lot of money just to organise and host so I’d imagine they’ve done the homework on what the returns would be so I’d say it’s without a doubt profitable for them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

be careful you might get a warning for not worshiping at the alter of Conor Mcgregor peace be upon his name

Keep up the smart arse comments and you wont be hanging around long..

Axwell wrote: »
    Keep up the smart arse comments and you wont be hanging around long..

threat
    θrɛt/Submit
    noun
    a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
    "members of her family have received death threats"
    synonyms: threatening remark, warning, ultimatum, intimidating remark;

fact
    fakt/
    noun
    noun: fact; plural noun: facts

a thing that is known or proved to be true.
    "keep up the smart arse comments and you wont be hanging around long.."

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

the thing that seemed to annoy Khabib the most was when he said the muslim phrase- he actually looked annoyed.

That's some choppy waters of he goes in that direction for fight week presser

pathetic
    pəˈθɛtɪk/Submit
    adjective
    arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.
    "she looked so pathetic that I bent down to comfort her"
    synonyms: pitiful, pitiable, piteous, to be pitied,

Mod: Ignored Mod Instruction - there are rules and a charter to follow..same as any other forum, it's quite simple. The fighter bashing applies to any fighter, not just McGregor. Trolling and smart arse answers are a sure way to see yourself out of the forum as quickly as you arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

the thing that seemed to annoy Khabib the most was when he said the muslim phrase- he actually looked annoyed.

That's some choppy waters of he goes in that direction for fight week presser

He shrugged off all of the Muslim and Dagistan wind ups, it’s when he was accused of pulling out of fights that he actually got going. He went from stoic one line answers to red faced on his feet finger pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

On the whiskey thing, McGregor is playing a blinder. Irish whiskey is the fastest growing spirit in the world in terms of sales, and he's the most marketable Irishman on the planet.

It's unlikely to come close to a a premium aged whiskey, but then that's not the market they're going after. No reason why it can't be positioned as a slightly more up-market Jameson, for mixing in your cocktails or long drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

On the whiskey thing, McGregor is playing a blinder. Irish whiskey is the fastest growing spirit in the world in terms of sales, and he's the most marketable Irishman on the planet.

It's unlikely to come close to a a premium aged whiskey, but then that's not the market they're going after. No reason why it can't be positioned as a slightly more up-market Jameson, for mixing in your cocktails or long drinks.

Considering Americans see Hennessey as a top end drink, relabeled Bushmills will do great there.

It will do great everywhere for a while because of his name and the fight coming up. Its going to be plastered all over the floor of the cage as well. Hard to see it gaining any long term momentum though, but its another marketing string in his bow and a quick cash grab. Between currently having the clothes line and this he’s got revenue coming and will just continue to add more streams to it. He knows what he is at when it comes to making the most of his fame and popularity now when he is marketable. A few years from now he will be retired and out of fighting and will have made his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Of course it does. The UFC wouldn’t bother otherwise.

For guys like us who post in forums about it, and follow the sport more closely, it doesn’t. But we make up a tiny % of the market. We’re likely to watch the majority of the numbered events regardless.

The press conferences appeal to those who just hear about it via word of mouth, don’t really follow the sport closely but will tune in for McGregor and the Maywesther fight might have been one of the first fights they’ve watched live.

They won’t even watch the conferences in its entirety, but will share clips of it across social media channels and twitter. It of course adds to the hype, specifically for the man on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Depends what goes down at the press conference. Remember in the lead up to UFC 202, people actually forget both Diaz and McGregor were both pretty quiet and it was seeming tame. Then, boom, mcgregor goes hatchet at the presser and it becomes the best selling fight in UFC history

When McGregor fights I dont think it matters that much in terms of getting new fans to the sport. Every man and his dog knows who he is and heard about him so its not like its bringing that many new people that all of a sudden will go who is this guy, this sounds interesting. You cant but hear about him because of all the drama around the previous events with the bus, the court case and now all the hype around the fight. What it does do is remind the more casual fans that he is back and the fight is on soon, people that dont watch mma that often except for the big cards amd who dont frequent forums and keep up to speed on everything. Its a way to flood social media with talk about it and remind those more so than anyone when its on and that its a big fight to make sure to peak their interest and convert then to ppv sales.

There's every reason it can't be positioned as a more upmarket Jameson.

a) It's not more upmarket than Jameson.

b) Jameson is Jameson, Bush is Bush etc because they've been around for hundreds of years.

Think Axwell has probably got it right in that there'll likely be a quick buck made off it. It's a hard business to turn a profit in, especially when you're not distilling your own spirit, so I'd be surprised if McGregor has really tied himself into a long term contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Lads any chance we can take the conversation to the fight, Whisky is boring chat.

Commanchie wrote: »
    Lads any chance we can take the conversation to the fight, Whisky is boring chat.

Rather than post asking people to change what they are talking about why dont you post something about the fight for people to engage in conversation with? You want to talk about the fight then add something to the conversation. I dont get why people post these sort of comments then sit there waiting for someone else to post something...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Axwell wrote: »
    Rather than post asking people to change what they are talking about why dont you post something about the fight for people to engage in conversation with? You want to talk about the fight then add something to the conversation. I dont get why people post these sort of comments then sit there waiting for someone else to post something...

Id say you were bullied as achild were ya. Give your head a shake. Your attitude stinks in every post.

• Advertisement

Commanchie wrote: »
    Id say you were bullied as achild were ya. Give your head a shake. Your attitude stinks in every post.

If you want to talk about the fight then post about it. Why tell everyone else to stop talking about whiskey? You dont want to talk about Whiskey then dont, no one is forcing you to. This is the Conor McGregor thread, not the Conor v Khabib thread. If you want to talk about the fight then post something for people to discus. Thats how forums work...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement