Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Out of curiosity, do many people believe that press conferences like this have any significant impact on PPV sales?

I can't imagine there's too many who are in a position to buy it who are completely unaware of the fight and think "There's that McGregor fella acting the mad ****er, I'd better go and buy the fight"

While most have made up their mind about buying it or not these press conferences are more about trying to attract the people still unsure of buying it. Hence the staged phony theatrics at these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

The people who they're aiming to sell Proper 12 won't know the difference between the top top top whiskey and Jamesons.

But yeah the UFC pressers are for the casual market. The 500k worldwide who watched it live - we're watching it anyways, its the wider audience they'll get from media and then lad bible type shared content

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    While most have made up their mind about buying it or not these press conferences are more about trying to attract the people still unsure of buying it. Hence the staged phony theatrics at these things.

Theres also a case of FOMO as well for that group of people that are aware of it but havent decided. The conference happens and theres talk of it all over social media. Your friends and work colleagues are talking about it. If everyone else is talking about watching it you dont want to be missing out and catching up the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Just watched the Mendes fight again.
    That fight was his toughest I’d say, he got caught plenty there, standing and he had plenty of tough elbows in his face, forgot how much he actually got hit. He did well to come out of that I think.

Mendes was ****ed after a minute tho, and Conor didn’t look well either in it to be fair.
    I know the Diaz fights were obviously harder for him, but he was having them his own way until he slowed down, where as I think he was losing the Mendes fight until he took him out.

As for the press conference, He was definatley a bit more riled up than usual, didn’t look as fresh as he usually does,
    And Khabib is big, all depends how he takes getting punched in face on how the fight will go I think.
    Because he is a simple target for Conor and definatley getting punched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

dulux99 wrote: »
    So could someone who knows more about this stuff than me explain.... Is it essentially just Bushmills whiskey? Would CMG have bought the license for one of the Bushmills recipe and just repackaged it essentially?

Like a lot of craft beer, the brewery's have recipes and premixed the beer so you go in and select a recipe, they will bottle it for you and then you stick your label on and hey presto you are a brewer. I imagine this is a similar set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Wow. Classic megregor. I'm sold once again. I think kebab done well to stay calm. Conor should definitely have more pops at kebabs back round in future. I will say it's the first time I seen Conor look genuinely pissed off.

It's going to be arkward after the fight no matter who wins. I would imagine it will be a quick hand shake with no hugs etc.

Regarding the whiskey. I don't normally drink with but I fly home next week and will most likely pick up a bottle. Conor has provided so much entertainment over the years I have no issue buying his branded whiskey.

Anyone know when the next media event is?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

XsApollo wrote: »
    That fight was his toughest I’d say, he got caught plenty there, standing and he had plenty of tough elbows in his face, forgot how much he actually got hit. He did well to come out of that I think.

Mendes was ****ed after a minute tho, and Conor didn’t look well either in it to be fair.
    I know the Diaz fights were obviously harder for him, but he was having them his own way until he slowed down, where as I think he was losing the Mendes fight until he took him out.

As for the press conference, He was definatley a bit more riled up than usual, didn’t look as fresh as he usually does,
    And Khabib is big, all depends how he takes getting punched in face on how the fight will go I think.

This is what I've been saying to my mates, Conor looked pathetic against Mendes until Mendes gassed and Conor was able to capitalise.

To be fair that was a while ago and I'm sure that McGregor has focused on his takedown defense since he knew Khabib was on the horizon, but if Khabib gets this to the ground, Conor is done IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

goon_magee wrote: »
    To be fair that was a while ago and I'm sure that McGregor has focused on his takedown defense since he knew Khabib was on the horizon, but if Khabib gets this to the ground, Conor is done IMO.

I hope they can get a mic close enough to khabib so we can all hear what he's saying should he get that takedown...god help conor if he does :D

he'll need to get khabib outa there in under 7/8 mins imo

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

mailburner wrote: »
    goon_magee wrote: »

I hope they can get a mic close enough to khabib so we can all hear what he's saying should he get that takedown...god help conor if he does :D

he'll need to get khabib outa there in under 7/8 mins imo

Totally agree, between cardio, and (as far as we've seen in the past) a very suspect ground game when faced with high level jiu jitsu or wrestling, this is one he needs to finish early.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think it's likely fair comment to say both are emotionally invested in this fight - the presser made that much clear. Khabib was stoic at first, but did eventually succumb to McGregor's relentless goading. I think Diaz faired better in this respect. To be honest, I was a little surprised to see Khabib succumb as quickly as he did, but overall he did ok and was largely composed, if visibly irritated.

Conor's been here before though on the big stage - Diaz 2 was personal for him and still he was focused as can be. We've seen others affected by everything a big fight entails - in recent memory Lee Vs Ferguson where Lee reckoned adrenaline was a factor, even Till recently saying he felt different/ didn't warm up as normal vs Woodley.

Speculative, but maybe a factor on the night. Obviously these guys are elites and accustomed to performing under pressure, but probably also fair to say the big ones have an extra element of pressure and expectation thrown into the mix. Conor's proven he can eat that pressure - it probably even makes better his performance. Khabib also has the 0 and invincibility to hang on to...

Yes, it's a styles wrestler vs striker game, but fighters themselves always say the mental side is massive - you have to be able to execute your game-plan. So many elements to this match-up, love it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

McGregor managed to annoy Chad when he was on his back and had way more control than he should have. It took Chad a while to get some elbows in, but for someone who is supposed to be a wrestler, Connor didn't allow him much room to do anything....plus Connor figured out the elbows to Chad from the bottom as well.
    I never really noticed that until rewatching.

As for Khabib, when he's on top he traps and arm and a leg, it looks like Connor has alot of defence for that judging how he handled Chad. But again, Khabib is a different type of pressure and he also pushes up against the cage to mage it more difficult.

So I guess what I'm saying is that when Khabib gets on top, he'll have more difficulty than what he's had before in terms of being annoyed or even being pressured. Everyone else seems to just panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Why all the chat that if it goes to the ground it's goodnight for conor? Khabib doesn't have good submissions and his ground an pound is weak. He doesn't really finish anyone besides Johnson. All he is good at is controlling the body against the cage he has nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Going to watch the Mendes fight shortly. It's been a while, but I'll give my honest, not trained, account when I do.

I still reckon McG will light him up on his feet, stuff a few T/D's, then get taken down, weather the first storm.

After that? **** knows.

Then again, I though Eddie would give him the most bother, and he just lit him up.

Hopefully we'll see his boxing/striking be head and ****ing shoulders above anyone on the roster, with a bit of venom put into a few of them to put the wind up Khabib, and turn him into the panic wrestler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Two time Combat sambo world champion, NAGA two division world champion and judo blackbelt. Doesn't have submissions.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Why all the chat that if it goes to the ground it's goodnight for conor? Khabib doesn't have good submissions and his ground an pound is weak. He doesn't really finish anyone besides Johnson. All he is good at is controlling the body against the cage he has nothing else

Because Khabib dominates everyone on the ground?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He doesnt have to submit him. The longer the fight goes on Conor will tire. Khabib will drag him around the mat and just control him. 3 rounds of that from Khabib while giving Conor the first 2 on the feet and he wins by a decision anyways. If Conor doesnt finish Khabib inside 2 his odds of winning pretty much diminish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Apparently it feels like a heavyweight is pinning you down, giving you 0 control of your own body except for one hand to try defend.

He doesn't go looking for submissions non-stop, he'll just pin and then get shots away. Then look for something else after a while. It's not about the finishing, it's about nullifying the opponent completely and outscoring them and maybe getting a sub...and he is happy doing that.

On the whiskey thing, McGregor is playing a blinder. Irish whiskey is the fastest growing spirit in the world in terms of sales, and he's the most marketable Irishman on the planet.

It's unlikely to come close to a a premium aged whiskey, but then that's not the market they're going after. No reason why it can't be positioned as a slightly more up-market Jameson, for mixing in your cocktails or long drinks.

OT, but gin is the fastest growing spirit, 47% growth, Irish whiskey is 5% growth (premium Irish is 40%, but that's not what's here).

OT, but gin is the fastest growing spirit, 47% growth, Irish whiskey is 5% growth (premium Irish is 40%, but that's not what's here).

Gin gets to market so much quicker though. Over the next 18 months, I see a swing to a lot more craft whiskey, as the newer gin distillers get their whiskeys to age for classification, and people get wanky over it like they do for gin.

Not enough rums on the market for my liking either. A choice between Bacardi and Captain Morgan's in most pubs is dire. Small batch rums are what gets my hipster juices moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Its not about thr finish its about control and domination. Exactly what happened to Johnson. He was mauled. Conor stuffed alot against chad but will be different with khabib as he approaches different then chad. If it does go to the ground he wont look to G&P he will fire single shots off at conor to bust him up the lack of movement and struggle from Conor will tire him immensely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Globally, Irish whiskey is the fastest growing spirit: https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2018/02/irish-whiskey-on-target-to-reach-12m-cases-by-2020/

Even more off topic, the current gin boom is very much a by-product of the demand for Irish whiskey; new distilleries are surviving by producing gin while they wait for their whiskey to mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Khabib didn't like the cursing from the press conference

The commentary is in Spanish but here is Khabib v Barboza. I know the point has been made before but Khabib leaves himself wide open at the start of fights, he comes forward but one hand at the side of his face and the other down by his side. If they haven't worked on that over in AKA then he better hope he has a steel chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭cletus

Having somebody with a heavy top game on top of you is no fun. Even without strikes it can be close to claustrophobic. Add in short shots to the head, even without them being 'significant strikes', and it's even worse. At the risk of sounding like an asshole 'hardcore' fan, it's worth trying out a grappling class to experience the pressure a high level grappler can exert. To the untrained eye it can look like just lying on top of their opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

cletus wrote: »
    Having somebody with a heavy top game on top of you is no fun. Even without strikes it can be close to claustrophobic. Add in short shots to the head, even without them being 'significant strikes', and it's even worse. At the risk of sounding like an asshole 'hardcore' fan, it's worth trying out a grappling class to experience the pressure a high level grappler can exert. To the untrained eye it can look like just lying on top of their opponent

Exactly.
    A 50kg guy with a good top game will feel like 150kg on you. Unpleasant is a mild description of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Conor was actin the bollox in that fight too and took a few unnecessary hard shots

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

one of conors greatest ever lines was the midget balls jibe at mendes, the fact mendes looked like he had practised all day to slag conor's wrestling and boom...conor destroyed him on live tv :)

Interestingly as mind games are one of conors tools he definitely rattled khabib at the presser, you know when he gets in someones head when they get defensive, and a defensive khabib with his broken english is hilarious! Also conor's dig at the coach (terrorist rat)was actually a researched direct hit and it landed!

Dana posted the face off in moody black and white
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9_ITQnX2J/?taken-by=danawhite

Conor has donated 2 tickets for the fight to ICHH who auctioning them off with 100% of the proceeds going to the charity. Very nice gesture by Conor.
    https://www.facebook.com/177473812459195/posts/48-hour-charity-auction-for-tickets-to-ufc-229-in-aid-of-ichhthanks-to-mcgregor-/1085894218283812/

cliggg wrote: »
    Dana posted the face off in moody black and white
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9_ITQnX2J/?taken-by=danawhite

Conor has donated 2 tickets for the fight to ICHH who auctioning them off with 100% of the proceeds going to the charity. Very nice gesture by Conor.
    https://www.facebook.com/177473812459195/posts/48-hour-charity-auction-for-tickets-to-ufc-229-in-aid-of-ichhthanks-to-mcgregor-/1085894218283812/

Proper eyeballing that chin.

• Advertisement

Proper eyeballing that chin.

he's looking at his lips and saying that he has blue lips in that exchange

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement