Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Looks like conjob mcnugget gets to keep his belt. This is number one bull****.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/953998997764616192

and another one

https://twitter.com/mikedyce/status/953996124557381633

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I can only ever remember an interim belt being defended once before. Between Mir and Big Nog I think?

The interwebz tells me this
    This'll make Ferguson the fourth fighter, after Andrei Arlovski, Big Nog and Renan Barao, to defend an interim title.

I dont think any of those were cause the champ couldnt be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don't think it's because he can't be arsed. He should be stripped, but he didn't train for a good while after the Floyd fight. He obviously feels he needs time to actually get up to speed again, and I don't blame him, I wouldn't fight Khabib after 9 months out with a 3 month camp.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I don't think it's because he can't be arsed. He should be stripped, but he didn't train for a good while after the Floyd fight. He obviously feels he needs time to actually get up to speed again, and I don't blame him, I wouldn't fight Khabib after 9 months out with a 3 month camp.

https://twitter.com/thenotoriousmma/status/667192463468183554?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Effects wrote: »
    No.

What do you suggest?

Fighters have been stripped before for either injuries or getting caught using peds etc. Never have we had a fighter who won belts and decided to go box or go up a division and not be arsed to defend it. Conor was quick to pull Aldo on his inactivity. They should strip conor make his belt useless. I dont think tony should have to defend a interm title because it exsists cause of conor lack of interest in defending the actual belt

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    You're agreeing with me under the guise of disagreeing with me then. Conor isn't worth anything to them at the moment since he's not fighting. Therefore he's not selling tickets and he's not selling PPVs [which are going up to $65 for 220 and on]. Conor has no value to them at the moment since he won't fight.
    You're not grasping the difference between value and revenue generation. I'm trying to explain why they are so reluctant to strip him.

If you're a taxi driver and your car is in the garage, it's not generating revenue for you. Does it lose it's value ? Does it become worthless, so you stop caring about it's condition and so forth?

They absolute want him to fight and are frustrated by his not wanting to fight til September. Agreed. But they also don't want to devalue their biggest asset. Stripping him would do that because he's their biggest star and he is more valuable to them as champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

What sort of drug testing will Conor be subject to in the interim if he has no intention to fight for the next 9 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Same as anyone else, performance enhancing detection, the marching powder is ok they won't flag it. I believe he is tested one of the heaviest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think he can only be tested 'in competition' which means on the run up to a fight and the next 24 hours after or something like that.

By the looks of things he's spending a good bit of time in the gym lately which is good to see.

• Advertisement

Can anyone get up that "I will defend the belt..I will fight 3 times a year" clip?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus that is such a farce. I hope dana gets booed out of the building when he announces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think he can only be tested 'in competition' which means on the run up to a fight and the next 24 hours after or something like that.

By the looks of things he's spending a good bit of time in the gym lately which is good to see.

Thats wrong.

Once established, the UFC's entire roster of 500+ fighters will be subject to "unannounced, year-round in- and out-of-competition testing," including both blood and urine testing, "with the possibility of a collection occurring any place, any time, with no notice,"

If you remember Jon Jones coke event they shouldn't have announced that detection as he was out of competition.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Thats wrong.

Once established, the UFC's entire roster of 500+ fighters will be subject to "unannounced, year-round in- and out-of-competition testing," including both blood and urine testing, "with the possibility of a collection occurring any place, any time, with no notice,"

If you remember Jon Jones coke event they shouldn't have announced that detection as he was out of competition.

Is that USADA or their internal testing? Or is there even a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

They don't have internal testing.
    Testing used to be the job of the sanctioning body/comission. They UFC voluntarily signed up to and paid for USADA testing for their athlete's to run a WADA/USADA protocol style testing regime world wide.

When he got caught with coke in his system it was Nevada state athletic commission testing and the substance being present was leaked by the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

USADA do all testing, in and out of competition. But Athletic Commissions still do their own, usually a pre fight one during fight week and always a post fight one after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lads there's still time left. If they're going to announce McGregor being stripped of his belt it may not happen till the actual press conference. Could still be some background negotiations going on too. Until then everything is as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

" Give him that chicken Dana" the lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

dashoonage wrote: »
    Looks like conjob mcnugget gets to keep his belt. This is number one bull****.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/953998997764616192

and another one

https://twitter.com/mikedyce/status/953996124557381633
    What a joke,feel sorry for Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,428 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tanjee83 wrote: »
    I heard that the fight between tony and khabib will be for undisputed. I haven’t seen reports that Tony will be promoted to champ. That’s what I fear will be the messed up thing for T-Feurg.
    That's not possible. If it's for the undisputed title, that means Conor has to be tripped and therefore Tony makes the walk as the undisputed champion.
    There is no half measure possible.

Best example is Renan Barao. He defended his interim against Eddie Wineland, but his next fight he defended his undisputed belt verses Faber.
    Cruz was stripped in between fights.
    dave1982 wrote: »
    So the interm belt turns into the undisputed belt meaning he is defending the lw belt in april? I assaumed tonys belt would be gone to cause there is no need for a interm belt cause conor wont defend the belt making conors belt useless

They should make new belt kabhib and tony fight for it in April.
    Are you talking about the physical belt, or the notional title?

Conor is the current incumbent LW champ. Tony the interim champ.
    If Conor is stripped, he's no longer the champ, (but he keeps his physical belt, as all champs do.)
    Tony would instantly become the Undisputed champ, regardless of when he got his current physical belt (he wouldn't get a new one for becoming undisputed).
    Tony would then defend his Undisputed belt verses Khabib. There will be a new physical belt put on this line for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,428 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    I can only ever remember an interim belt being defended once before. Between Mir and Big Nog I think?
    The interwebz tells me this
    This'll make Ferguson the fourth fighter, after Andrei Arlovski, Big Nog and Renan Barao, to defend an interim title.

I dont think any of those were cause the champ couldnt be arsed.

Andrei Arlovski was while Mir was injured. And Barao while Cruz was a injured. But the Nog/Mir HW interim was a pretty similar situation. A bigger joke infact, with the two belt

• Randy was theHW champ. Randy offered a fight with Big Nog, but declined it.
    • Big Nog v Silvia for Interim (UFC 81)
    • Randy (C) v Brock (UFC 91)
    • Big Nog v Frank Mir (interim) (UFC 92)
    • Belt unified at UFC 100. Brock (C) v Mir (Interim)

They made another HW Interim after that with Mir v Carwin, but that was due to legitimate injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not possible. If it's for the undisputed title, that means Conor has to be tripped and therefore Tony makes the walk as the undisputed champion.
    There is no half measure possible.

Best example is Renan Barao. He defended his interim against Eddie Wineland, but his next fight he defended his undisputed belt verses Faber.
    Cruz was stripped in between fights.

Are you talking about the physical belt, or the notional title?

Conor is the current incumbent LW champ. Tony the interim champ.
    If Conor is stripped, he's no longer the champ, (but he keeps his physical belt, as all champs do.)
    Tony would instantly become the Undisputed champ, regardless of when he got his current physical belt (he wouldn't get a new one for becoming undisputed).
    Tony would then defend his Undisputed belt verses Khabib. There will be a new physical belt put on this line for this fight.

I think people get confused about this stuff because people like McGregor and Kavanagh say things like "they'll have to send an army to come take this belt from me" and "they haven't stripped him of anything, sure it's sitting in my house at home, hahaha" and they take these things at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

There's a big difference between "stripping the belt" and "stripping the title" which is really what the former means. The belt represents the title of World Champ. That's what is really getting stripped. Fighters are given a belt when champ. They keep this belt. It's never taken from them. If they lose a title fight the new champ gets a new belt, and so on and so forth.

It's not that hard people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭cletus

evil_seed wrote: »
    There's a big difference between "stripping the belt" and "stripping the title" which is really what the former means. The belt represents the title of World Champ. That's what is really getting stripped. Fighters are given a belt when champ. They keep this belt. It's never taken from them. If they lose a title fight the new champ gets a new belt, and so on and so forth.

Unless you're Mighty Mouse, in which case you have to go on a social media rant in order to have the UFC give you the belts you won, instead of bringing your own one with you every time you defend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

eGK9NsI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Fighters are given a belt when champ. They keep this belt. It's never taken from them. If they lose a title fight the new champ gets a new belt, and so on and so forth.

Is anyone disputing the physical belt and who gets to hold on to it? Aren't you the third or fourth person to explain that in the past two pages of posts?

Effects wrote: »
    Is anyone disputing the physical belt and who gets to hold on to it? Aren't you the third or fourth person to explain that in the past two pages of posts?

mcnugglets be nuggeting hard to point out he will still have a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

mcnugglets be nuggeting hard to point out he will still have a belt.

At first I thought no way but then remembered a few pages back where someone said if they stripped him then he would still have the physical belt and wouldn't have been beaten, so technically still the champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 EdwardC

ricero wrote: »
    Matt serra was saying on the ufc unfiltered podcast that its very bad for the mcgregor brand if he was to get mauled by khabib.

When has Conor ever given any indication that he makes his fight decisions based on how he would look if he lost a fight? Everything he's done recently has been motivated by what is the biggest fight, and Khabib in Russia to regain/defend his title is top of the list right now. If he beats Khabib he is the solidified best LW in the world. It's ridiculous all these mind-readers "he has no interest in fighting Khabib."...how could anyone know that?

Every indication he's given shows he thinks he can beat Khabib. He thinks he can beat Lawler, Woodley, GSP etc. Just because in your own view he should fear fighting someone doesn't at all mean that he does. That might look like delusion to some who put themselves in his shoes but not to him, we all know this.

His brand is pretty bulletproof as well at this stage.
    I'm not sure anyone's brand is bulletproof anymore.  We've seen so many fall so fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement