Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

eeloe wrote: »
    Just read the article that was linked above, I always thought he was Ryano from day 1....well damn.

Calling out Queally or Danis....

No he was with sbg for a more than a year if memory serves me right was probably 8 years ago now maybe a bit more

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Whelo79 wrote: »
    They have had pretty much zero access to Conor so far in the 3 vlogs they've released.

I think that's so his conditioning/fitness/whatever can't be judged....and it's all footage for the next documentary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

They have had pretty much zero access to Conor so far in the 3 vlogs they've released.

UFC will have all of that exclusive for embedded and countdown

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

That's why I'd be curious to see TheMacLife ones back up as McGregor was in all of them and so he must have been able to get that in his contract back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

cliggg wrote: »
    Interesting article here on former SBG fighter Myles Price training with Khabib for the fight! I'm sure Conor would consider this the ultimate betrayal.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/9/25/17900016/former-sbg-fighter-myles-price-helps-khabib-nurmagomedov-for-ufc-229-calls-out-peter-queally

Myles is talking like a person who has never met Conor before or even seen one of his press conferences. Saying Conor looked emotionally invested and how he acted in the presser will "dribble into his performance" and "when we have seen Conor crack and underperform is when he has been emotional" and also stating definitely that "where Conor will break is emotionally within his psyche".

Absolute nonsense in my opinion. Myles made some good valid points but came across like someone who has been holding a grudge for many years and has finally been given an outlet to vent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

he trained with conor 8 years ago
    how is that any use to khabib ?
    i would imagine he will have very little of use for them

Tony is saying on the Ariel Helwanis show that Conor is taking time off after this fight win or lose, for the birth of his new child....... As a massive Mcgregor fan I hope he loses, that division is way too stacked to be held up by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What's a mediocre fighter like Cowley doing out at that camp? Or is just there to hang on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

rob316 wrote: »
    What's a mediocre fighter like Cowley doing out at that camp? Or is just there to hang on

Cowley has been with him for years. He must be doing something right to keep getting brought back. Lee Hammond is with him too, he's still an amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rob316 wrote: »

I seen that Cowley got a title shot in the promotion he fights in. Not bad for a guy with a 1-1 record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Micheal Clark

McGregor is the best fighter. What I see is Conor McGregor beating the hell out of Khabib and breaking the streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

For people wondering about Conors sparring partners, his main khabib doubles were Kosti Gnusariov and Nikolay Grozdev. Only Nikolay went to Vegas (now sporting a massive black eye)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

ricero wrote: »
    I seen that Cowley got a title shot in the promotion he fights in. Not bad for a guy with a 1-1 record.
    He didn't. He's fighting in November but the opponent hasn't been named yet.

In other news Herb Dean has been named as the referee for the fight. It's a shame Conor has such a history with Goddard as he is the best ref in the sport imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ricero wrote: »
    He didn't. He's fighting in November but the opponent hasn't been named yet.

In other news Herb Dean has been named as the referee for the fight. It's a shame Conor has such a history with Goddard as he is the best ref in the sport imo.

Even more chance of one of them going to hospital with Dean reffing. Can picture either of them getting pounded on whilst unconscious and Herb standing there watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Even more chance of one of them going to hospital with Dean reffing. Can picture either of them getting pounded on whilst unconscious and Herb standing there watching.

The first thing I thought was "Ah, jaysis, someone's getting hurt" when I saw Herb Dean's name mentioned. He's had some awful clangers lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The first thing I thought was "Ah, jaysis, someone's getting hurt" when I saw Herb Dean's name mentioned. He's had some awful clangers lately.

Or even worse, calling something way too early because the spotlight is on him.

Obviously someone getting unnecessarily hurt is worse, but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sal D’amato selected as one of the judges.

I highly doubt judges will be needed in any case but Jesus wept. I don’t think he’s ever been on the right side of a split :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Interesting article here on former SBG fighter Myles Price training with Khabib for the fight! I'm sure Conor would consider this the ultimate betrayal.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/9/25/17900016/former-sbg-fighter-myles-price-helps-khabib-nurmagomedov-for-ufc-229-calls-out-peter-queally

Myles is talking like a person who has never met Conor before or even seen one of his press conferences. Saying Conor looked emotionally invested and how he acted in the presser will "dribble into his performance" and "when we have seen Conor crack and underperform is when he has been emotional" and also stating definitely that "where Conor will break is emotionally within his psyche".

Absolute nonsense in my opinion. Myles made some good valid points but came across like someone who has been holding a grudge for many years and has finally been given an outlet to vent.

why does he call him pet - esy and not petesy? 
    some valid point but his take on the presser is wrong, it's like he has not seen any of Conors pressers before. Conor is not emotionally invested or at least if he is emotionally involved he won't be come fight night, based on previous performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sc86 wrote: »
    why has he a tattoo of conor on his shoulder?

I know you are probably joking. But for anyone what was interested. It looks like a tattoo of the Boxer at Rest. A bronze statue from ancient Greece.
    (I don't know Myles from Adam, I just recognised the statue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_at_Rest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

dulux99 wrote: »
    Cowley has been with him for years. He must be doing something right to keep getting brought back. Lee Hammond is with him too, he's still an amateur.
    Hammond is exceptional at BJJ though, so he's probably handy to have around as a training partner. Plus it's a bit of experience for him as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Hammond is exceptional at BJJ though, so he's probably handy to have around as a training partner. Plus it's a bit of experience for him as well.

Hammond has good bjj at an Irish level or amateur European level. He's not the next coming of Marcelo. Cowley as well, decent at low level Europe standard muay Thai but he won't we beating anyone at a decent level in glory or lion fight and he won't be more than a mid European level MMA fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hammond has good bjj at an Irish level or amateur European level. He's not the next coming of Marcelo. Cowley as well, decent at low level Europe standard muay Thai but he won't we beating anyone at a decent level in glory or lion fight and he won't be more than a mid European level MMA fighter.
    He needs some sparring partners he trusts in session just to keep his timing and  to get the body moving, I don't see a problem with him using two lads he is close to who won't hurt him ,This stage in camp he isn't going to be sparring killer every day the hard work is done now,

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

You think Lee hammond is exceptional, Thats fine hes good Bjj. Do you think he would add anything to a camp for Khabib?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

He needs some sparring partners he trusts in session just to keep his timing and  to get the body moving, I don't see a problem with him using two lads he is close to who won't hurt him ,This stage in camp he isn't going to be sparring killer every day the hard work is done now,

Why not reach out to the USBJJF for someone while in camp in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Biggest fight this year at least, you don't bring in randomers, imagine if he rolled an ankle or tweaked his knee. He would have been stupid for not having his guys there. Hard work is done now anyway, next 10 days is touch butt and weight cut.

Bringing someone in you could open up another Pauli situation also.

Commanchie wrote: »

Why bother , he has Danis for that ,
    Its not unuasl for fighters to bring lads there comfortable with to just light spars in fight week ,There basically just bodies to use to warm up and keep the blood flowing , its not like he just used these two for his whole camp

Commanchie wrote: »

Why bother , he has Danis for that ,
    Its not unuasl for fighters to bring lads there comfortable with to just light spars in fight week ,There basically just bodies to use to warm up and keep the blood flowing , its not like he just used these two for his whole camp

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hammond is exceptional at BJJ though...
    He's probably one of the better guys on the local scene. He's better than me no doubt. But on the big stage, he wouldn't stand out imo. He recently got his brown belt, have to assume that reflects his coach's (JK I assume) opinion on the matter.
    It's not like the entire grappling plan falls to him though. There are others there, a couple of black belts who probably know what they're at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    He's probably one of the better guys on the local scene. He's better than me no doubt. But on the big stage, he wouldn't stand out imo. He recently got his brown belt, have to assume that reflects his coach's (JK I assume) opinion on the matter.
    It's not like the entire grappling plan falls to him though. There are others there, a couple of black belts who probably know what they're at.

Yeah the last few months of rolling with the likes of Tom King and even BB's like Joey Bres would be more valuable than rolling with Lee. Hammond is good, but he's young and inexperienced compared to some of the other lads in the club.

Still, not having a Danis or Gunni in this camp, or a wrestler besides Serg seems strange. Someone who can replicate a ridiculously heavy top game seems like it would be essential, which Gunni especially would have been good for.

• Advertisement

I seen his dad making the comment that Khabib still fights like an amateur, is slow and limited, 
    I would imagine there are things he heard Conor or his team say , Will this end like the Eddie fight , everyone thought it would be a really tuff fight and Conor and Kavanagh kept saying it would be easy and it turned out that way,
    Is it possible Conor has been working at his wrestling non stop since the first Diaz fight as surely he knows if he keeps it standing he beats anyone at lightweight ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement