Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Mellor wrote: »
    He's probably one of the better guys on the local scene. He's better than me no doubt. But on the big stage, he wouldn't stand out imo. He recently got his brown belt, have to assume that reflects his coach's (JK I assume) opinion on the matter.
    It's not like the entire grappling plan falls to him though. There are others there, a couple of black belts who probably know what they're at.

Yeah the last few months of rolling with the likes of Tom King and even BB's like Joey Bres would be more valuable than rolling with Lee. Hammond is good, but he's young and inexperienced compared to some of the other lads in the club.

Still, not having a Danis or Gunni in this camp, or a wrestler besides Serg seems strange. Someone who can replicate a ridiculously heavy top game seems like it would be essential, which Gunni especially would have been good for.

Danis has been in the camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

How long was he in Dublin for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Been in Dublin since around first week of August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

6 weeks been there the full camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I think he was there around 6 weeks. I remember he was on Ariel MMA hour and was about to go iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Danis has been in Dublin a lot this year, I've seen him a good few times in the gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Still, not having a Danis or Gunni in this camp, or a wrestler besides Serg seems strange. Someone who can replicate a ridiculously heavy top game seems like it would be essential, which Gunni especially would have been good for.

He did have other wrestlers, someone (spix) pointed out earlier in the thread. Ayub Magomadov, Kosti Gnusariov and Nikolay Grozdev were all in camp. Probably not world-beaters but from what I gather all come from strong wrestling backgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Danis has been in Dublin a lot this year, I've seen him a good few times in the gym

He had the Irish diet down pat too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmtYYyLli1i/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn2CQpLFIik/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Few Guinness and a 3in1 with chicken balls is what champions were made from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

eeloe wrote: »
    Myles was never an SBG fighter AFAIK?

He's been with Andy Ryan for years if memory serves.

Myles was an SBG Fighter. He won a 155lb title while with them iirc. He stayed with John Kavagnagh when he was up in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

No he was with sbg for a more than a year if memory serves me right was probably 8 years ago now maybe a bit more

Yep. And he was still splitting his time with SBG and Top Pro Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still, not having a Danis or Gunni in this camp, or a wrestler besides Serg seems strange.
    Danis is in this camp. He's been in Dublin, NYC and now in Vegas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I seen his dad making the comment that Khabib still fights like an amateur, is slow and limited, 
    I would imagine there are things he heard Conor or his team say , Will this end like the Eddie fight , everyone thought it would be a really tuff fight and Conor and Kavanagh kept saying it would be easy and it turned out that way,
    Is it possible Conor has been working at his wrestling non stop since the first Diaz fight as surely he knows if he keeps it standing he beats anyone at lightweight ,

I'd say he's been drilling his takedown defence since after the Mendes fight. It was a hole in his game and it was the only time in his UFC career that he looked in trouble up to that point. We've seen what happened after Diaz 1. He worked on his cardio and reduced his output to last longer. Then he went 5 rounds with Diaz (ok, he slowed down in parts but that's a lot better than being completely goosed like the first fight) and went 10 with Mayweather in a boxing match. If there is a weakness or a hole, he'll plug it.

From what I remember of the Diaz 2 fight, Diaz tried to take him down a few times but only succeeded in the last few seconds of the fight when it ultimately didn't matter. Alvarez tried to take him down but McGregor stuffed them all and landed a few shots to boot. There are arguments there that Diaz doesn't really take people down and Eddie was already pretty rocked for most of the takedown attempts so McGregor's takedown defence might not actually be decent but I think he's been working it for years (and especially since he knew a fight with Khabib could be on the cards which is the best part of a year) and I think he could surprise us there, stuff the takedowns and land on Khabib on the way out. Saying that even if the above is correct, Khabib is a monster and could still get him down. That's what makes this fight so damn good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    He's probably one of the better guys on the local scene. He's better than me no doubt. But on the big stage, he wouldn't stand out imo. He recently got his brown belt, have to assume that reflects his coach's (JK I assume) opinion on the matter.
    It's not like the entire grappling plan falls to him though. There are others there, a couple of black belts who probably know what they're at.

Exceptional may have been a strong word, he is very good though from an Irish and European standard. Yeah, he got it around the time of the last blue belt grading I think, he's only a chung lad as well so should only get better.

As Marcos said, he's no Marcelo, but he's a familiar face that Conor trusts to train with without worrying about him trying to kill him rolling or that.
    Danis and Sergei would probably be the main guys, given their experience, with the others filling in gaps for these last few weeks.

I'd say he's been drilling his takedown defence since after the Mendes fight.

He's likely been drilling take-down defence his entire career. He fought a lot of opponents who have wrestling. He has always worked with Sergei and other SBG wrestlers I believe. He stuffed a few in the Mendes fight but Chad has one of the best blast doubles in the UFC and McGregor had the bum knee of course, so you have to take those into account too for that fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    he's a familiar face that Conor trusts to train with without worrying about him trying to kill him rolling or that.
    That's his role in the camp imo.
    Part of the familiar routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's likely been drilling take-down defence his entire career. He fought a lot of opponents who have wrestling. He has always worked with Sergei and other SBG wrestlers I believe. He stuffed a few in the Mendes fight but Chad has one of the best blast doubles in the UFC and McGregor had the bum knee of course, so you have to take those into account too for that fight.
    If he stuffs Khabibs first try, it will be huge ,

I don't think so. From what I can remember, Johnson, Barboza and Iaquinta all stuffed the first takedown or two. You'd at least expect Conor to stuff a couple. it's not about stopping a couple for Conor; he has to stop them all while dishing out enough punishment. Khabib is all about relentless chain takedowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just like Michael Johnson

What will be huge is if he is taken down, and gets up quickly/with ease

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »

Getting back up at all would be huge I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Part of me wants to see him off his back for a minute or two, to answer the questions about his ground game.

There’s already enough evidence out there that he has good top control.

I’m really interested to see who controls the cage. Khabib has always been able to match forward and if he’s able to do the same here I think Conor will be in big trouble. If Conor can hold centre he’ll find it much easier to control the distance which is in my opinion, the key to this fight.

Really doesn't Khabib hold the record for take downs in a fight at 22, That means your man got up at least 21 times,

At lot of guys he fights get back up but can't punish him when they do ,

Really doesn't Khabib hold the record for take downs in a fight at 22, That means your man got up at least 21 times,

At lot of guys he fights get back up but can't punish him when they do ,

I don't think so. From what I can remember, Johnson, Barboza and Iaquinta all stuffed the first takedown or two. You'd at least expect Conor to stuff a couple. it's not about stopping a couple for Conor; he has to stop them all while dishing out enough punishment. Khabib is all about relentless chain takedowns.
    Maybe stopping one is all he will need, I feel it stay on the feet for any decent amount of time Conor will finish him ,

Maybe stopping one is all he will need, I feel it stay on the feet for any decent amount of time Conor will finish him ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭fitzparker

the aul laptop is on a mare today yourdeadwright :):)

im looking forward as to what conor does when Khabib shoots, does he try sidestep or trust his left and go for it. as we saw with Iaquinta fight it gets slippy in there and he was easily able to get out when khabib shot for the single leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Reckon he could go for the aul Romero jump knee to the head as he shoots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Sorry I'm dragging up a topic from a few pages back where people are picking holes in mcgregors choice in sparring partners. The man is a two weight ufc world champion, I think he can assemble his fight camp sparring partners better than a few lads on a forum. He knows what he's doing. It's largely the same team that he had for most of his previous title fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

dulux99 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm dragging up a topic from a few pages back where people are picking holes in mcgregors choice in sparring partners. The man is a two weight ufc world champion, I think he can assemble his fight camp sparring partners better than a few lads on a forum. He knows what he's doing. It's largely the same team that he had for most of his previous title fights.
    You're right. People should just say nothing and start absolutely quiet until fight night. I mean, what's the point of a discussion board after all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement