Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Khabib does dive in from distance his head just asking for a knee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

You're right. People should just say nothing and start absolutely quiet until fight night. I mean, what's the point of a discussion board after all?

Haha, that's a bit rich coming from the guy who posted ;
    All joking and bitching and pettiness aside, this fight has been talked about long enough that there's not really anything new or incisive that can be added.

There's only so many ways you can say "McGregor destroys him on the feet and Khabib destroys him on the ground".

Seems like you were the one discouraging people from discussion there pal, not me. I made an observation on previous discussions, discussions I felt were silly, I didn't tell anyone to stop talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

dulux99 wrote: »
    You're right. People should just say nothing and start absolutely quiet until fight night. I mean, what's the point of a discussion board after all?

Haha, that's a bit rich coming from the guy who posted ;
    All joking and bitching and pettiness aside, this fight has been talked about long enough that there's not really anything new or incisive that can be added.

There's only so many ways you can say "McGregor destroys him on the feet and Khabib destroys him on the ground".

Seems like you were the one discouraging people from discussion there pal, not me. I made an observation on previous discussions, discussions I felt were silly, I didn't tell anyone to stop talking about it.

I discouraged nothing - I simply made my opinion known which, in case you struggle to understand, is pretty much still the consensus. McGregor wins in the feet, Khabib on the ground.

You found it silly. Big deal, other people can comment on it all they want. There's **** all else to talk about in the build up to it unless people really want to sink to the depths and analyse his da's interview with Helwani.

The man is a two weight ufc world champion*, I think he can assemble his fight camp sparring partners better than a few lads on a forum. He knows what he's doing. It's largely the same team that he had for most of his previous title fights.

*former..

(even if he does go around with his two pretend belts..)

*former..

(even if he does go around with his two pretend belts..)

Haha when I read it back I was just waiting for someone to point that out!

• Advertisement

I discouraged nothing - I simply made my opinion known which, in case you struggle to understand, is pretty much still the consensus. McGregor wins in the feet, Khabib on the ground.

You found it silly. Big deal, other people can comment on it all they want. There's **** all else to talk about in the build up to it unless people really want to sink to the depths and analyse his da's interview with Helwani.

You made your opinion known on the stylistic match up and I made my opinion known on the debate about potential sparring partners. What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Sorry I'm dragging up a topic from a few pages back where people are picking holes in mcgregors choice in sparring partners. The man is a two weight ufc world champion, I think he can assemble his fight camp sparring partners better than a few lads on a forum. He knows what he's doing. It's largely the same team that he had for most of his previous title fights.

Well obvs. We all have fantasy ideas - no one's claiming JK and Roddy are frauds, its a forum to bounce ideas around.

I personally think if Conor had brought Ben Askren into his camp.

There are other factors as mentioned. Will they try and make a name for themselves in the spar session and go to hard, will they blab to the media or their socials too much, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Strange there's been no footage at all of conor training in any of the FAST vlogs or roddys first one.

None of their Instagram footage has him training either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There's plenty of top fighters that are part of gyms where they're the top fighter by a distance, McGregor isn't some anomaly. DJ, Max, Whitaker a couple that come to mind straight away.

I never hear of any of them bringing in other 'star' names to spar with (could be wrong obviously). Bring in a star names, you deal with their ego, their personality, potentially not being a compliant sparing partner. You can end up with situations where McGregor had his knee damaged by Rory MacDonald because 200+ pound Rory is rumoured to have went for a jumping scissor takedown. That's just reckless stuff when you're preparing for fights that are so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I seen his dad making the comment that Khabib still fights like an amateur, is slow and limited, 
    I would imagine there are things he heard Conor or his team say , Will this end like the Eddie fight , everyone thought it would be a really tuff fight and Conor and Kavanagh kept saying it would be easy and it turned out that way,
    Is it possible Conor has been working at his wrestling non stop since the first Diaz fight as surely he knows if he keeps it standing he beats anyone at lightweight ,

kavanagh and mcgregor also said conor would knock mayweather out:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

No need for the hand-wringing, lads - he didn't need any high level grappling because he's going to pick him off quicker than he did Eddie. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The no footage of Conor is odd. No snippets of training, no bike work, nothing at all.

I wonder if there is an injury (the rumored foot break) or if he is really just keeping the cameras away as he wants to do little to no promotion for the fight.

Conspiracy theorists unite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What happens if there is another Aldo style knockout, by either man?? Where does that put either of them regarding their future in UFC??

I know if McGregor sparks Khabib it’ll probably put him in the conversation as in if the best ever, but who does he go on to face? Is there any competition for him at the moment without going up weight??

Or what if Khabib sparks McGregor? 27 and 0 with a definitive ko against one of, if not the, UFCs biggest star? Where does he go from there? Does it cement his status as a great? Or does he need to fight more ranked opponents??

Edit: Just realised that some people’s heads will explode because I just asked a straight question rather than knocking McGregor. Apologies for that, hope it won’t be too messy to clean up lol.

look at conor mcgregor and there's a part where he tells how hard they've trained he says something like, we've had broken feet but though he says "WE" his eyes drop to his own foot.

I think mcgregor is so hyped and emotional over this that he'd rather get disqualified than be beaten, id consider a disqualification if he's losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What happens if there is another Aldo style knockout, by either man?? Where does that put either of them regarding their future in UFC??

I.

If McG wins, Dana will announce that Nate Vs Poirir is for the new 165 lb belt, meaning that Conor will fight the winner and try and get a third belt.

If Khabib wins then they won't announce the new 165lb division

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The no footage of Conor is odd. No snippets of training, no bike work, nothing at all.

I wonder if there is an injury (the rumored foot break) or if he is really just keeping the cameras away as he wants to do little to no promotion for the fight.

Conspiracy theorists unite!

Maybe the footage of Conor himself is to be exclusive with a broadcast partner and/or a documentary maker.

I don't think he'd have gone into this camp with an injury as he's that much leverage with the UFC he can do as he pleases time wise.

The thing on his hand and the rumour about his foot and then him nodding at it in the presser does make the plot thicken. Ready made excuse I suppose, just hope he's coming in healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If McGregor win you do him versus GSP in the Rogers Arena in Toronto with 55,000 at it for the new UFC 165lb belt. It won't happen but I'd like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Maybe the footage of Conor himself is to be exclusive with a broadcast partner and/or a documentary maker.

I don't think he'd have gone into this camp with an injury as he's that much leverage with the UFC he can do as he pleases time wise.

The thing on his hand and the rumour about his foot and then him nodding at it in the presser does make the plot thicken. Ready made excuse I suppose, just hope he's coming in healthy.

He’s too proud to pull out especially after slating aldo.

Have a feeling he’s carrying an injury.

Be a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

He’s too proud to pull out especially after slating aldo.

Have a feeling he’s carrying an injury.

Be a real shame.

I missed all of this. Where's the evidence that he's carrying an injury?

There's none, just whispers. Sadly sometimes with these things theres no smoke without fire. I'm hoping it's not the case but I'm worried about the lack of training footage.

• Advertisement

There's none, just whispers. Sadly sometimes with these things theres no smoke without fire. I'm hoping it's not the case but I'm worried about the lack of training footage.

I wouldn't be that concerned with the lack of footage. A quiet build up is the way to go.

I'd be sick if there was a pull out at this stage, getting hyped for this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Well when he said we have had foot injuries and looked at his foot and the rumour here last week.

Could be nothing and hopefully not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was there footage of training with McGregor on Roddy's last vlogs?

If there was I didn't think there was much. In general I thought the vlogs were just about Roddy and the gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Will the fight be shown on fight pass?
    I'll pay for fight pass if the show the McGregor kabib fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Will the fight be shown on fight pass?
    I'll pay for fight pass if the show the McGregor kabib fight

No. Fight pass only shows the early preliminary fights live. It will be on fight pass a few days later. The only way to watch live in Ireland legitimately is BT Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

What is the easiest way to watch this fight legally next weekend on my computer or television? :):)

No. Fight pass only shows the early preliminary fights live. It will be on fight pass a few days later. The only way to watch live in Ireland legitimately is BT Sport.

Infuriating. I don't have Sky in the house nor Eir broadband. The only legal way to watch it is at a mate's house. I remember the good old days, buying the PPV for €20 on the UFC website, not like that anymore I tell ya!!

I get free BT Sport :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

That's a pain in the ass. My only option is an illegal stream so. I've no computer and <snip> is impossible to work on a phone

• Advertisement

If you know anyone with BT they could give you login details for the mobile service?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement