Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

even if he'd gone and banged Dana's wife

Would make a change from Dana banging/trying to bang the fighters/their wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

If Khabib has been eating too much tiramisu and misses weight can McGregor still win the belt? I think he can, but if Khabib wins then it won't count as a title defense right.

The real loser from all this is Ferguson, he's on like a 10 fight win streak, got stripped of his interim title, and has essentially cleared out the whole division bar McGregor or Khabib. If he losses to Pettis he'll be a few fights away from a full title shot he really deserved by now. He's also a bit older than the lads so could hit his decline sooner.

It is such a brutal sport at the best of times, but UFC management make it even harder on the fighters messing them around. I'd love if someone took the time to go through the whole roster and find quotes from Dana sh1itting on them. It has got to be in the hundreds. The only fighters he basically 'likes' are those who keep quite and do what their told. But Ortega not taking a short notice fight paid off, and he'll get his title shot. So UFC management put their fighters between a rock and a hard place so often it is flabbergasting.

Compared to soccer players who are treated like royalty by their clubs. Remember Yaya Toure getting upset because he didn't get a birthday cake from the club, and he wanted them to Tweet birthday wishes as well. Could you imagine Jon Jones getting pissed off with Dana because he didn't buy him a big cake for his birthday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

sc86 wrote: »
    khabib got handed the title , lets be fair , and he made hard work of it

would have been like conor fighting dennis siver for the featherweight belt!

He really didnt make hard work of it. He played with Al for 5 rounds. It was 50-44, 50-43 and 50-43 on the scorecards.

Mcgregor fanboys make me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,402 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If Khabib has been eating too much tiramisu and misses weight can McGregor still win the belt? I think he can, but if Khabib wins then it won't count as a title defense right.
    If Khabib misses weight, Conor can still win the belt.

Tony had his title shot in the bag. The injury was really unfortunate for him. Now even if he beats Pettis, Dustin/Nate will be in contention too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just watched the Johnson and Barboza fights. This isn't going to end well for McGregor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

RasTa wrote: »
    Just watched the Johnson and Barboza fights. This isn't going to end well for McGregor

If Khabib tries to walk McGregor down and close the distance like he did against Barboza he will be getting TKO'd. McGregor's striking and counter punching is on another level to both of those fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

RasTa wrote: »

Just watched the Aldo and Alvarez fights. This isn't going to end well for Khabib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dave0301 wrote: »
    If Khabib tries to walk McGregor down and close the distance like he did against Barboza he will be getting TKO'd. McGregor's striking and counter punching is on another level to both of those fighters.

Yeah but he won't be that stupid but who knows. You're right his only weakness is when he runs at them in blitz mode but you would think his camp knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don’t know how anyone could watch the Khabib vs Johnson and Barboza fights and not get more encouraged about McGregor’s chances.

Khabib showed so many weaknesses in those fights that play exactly into the hands of Conor’s biggest strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Paully D wrote: »
    I don’t know how anyone could watch the Khabib vs Johnson and Barboza fights and not get more encouraged about McGregor’s chances.

Because he took a spinning heel kick from Barboza to the head and walked through it and ragdolled him. Because despite getting tagged by Johnson he walked through it and rag dolled him.

If Conor can't knock him out early he's going to get walked down and rag dolled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Khabib caught that kick on the neck as far as I recall, it wasn't entirely clean. I don't think Conor's shots are the kind you can walk through. Not to mention he's a master at catching people coming in compared to the two aforementioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Because he took a spinning heel kick from Barboza to the head and walked through it and ragdolled him. Because despite getting tagged by Johnson he walked through it and rag dolled him.

If Conor can't knock him out early he's going to get walked down and rag dolled.

Kick didnt connect clean , more on neck and khabib was moving with the kick , so thats a muted point

Johnson isn’t conor , hasn’t got precision or power etc , conors footwork will be biggest influence on this

Khabib caught that kick on the neck as far as I recall, it wasn't entirely clean. I don't think Conor's shots are the kind you can walk through. Not to mention he's a master at catching people coming in compared to the two aforementioned.

Took most of that kick on his hand, plus barboza was exhausted at that stage. Johnson has no power either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Yeah, you're probably sick listening to it seeing as he hasn't defended like 4 belts or something..

Very insightful point. He should have turned down the 155 title shot in Cage Warriors to defend his 145 belt. And he definitely should have turned down a UFC contract to defend his 155 Cage Warriors belt... Makes total sense.

You could make a valid point about him not defending, but when you include the two CW titles you're basically tattooing "I'm not rational when it comes to Conor" on your forehead.

All I'm saying is he could have defended one..The fact is he hasn't..4 times!..Like, if it was once you'd say something..

Yeah, I don't like him, but Jesus, the legitimate point is there..

Are you really a champion if you don't?..

(Someone link that "I'll be a busy champion" clip..)

There probably wasn't a chapter in 'the secret' about what to do with stuff once you had it..

All I'm saying is he could have defended one..The fact is he hasn't..4 times!..Like, if it was once you'd say something..

Yeah, I don't like him, but Jesus, the legitimate point is there..

Are you really a champion if you don't?..

(Someone link that "I'll be a busy champion" clip..)

Yes you are a champion once you win the belt! Would you say DC is a double champ or does it not count until he defends?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Conor is very good at using your momentum as well as his own power against you.

This is also why it's such a 50/50 fight to call, it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

Bit silly saying Michael Johnson has no power, he might not be the biggest puncher but he did ko Poirier, which plenty of better fighters couldn't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Even Khabib looked scarlet with all that.

Allah Akhbar on their T-shirts, absolute dunces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Allah Akhbar on their T-shirt’s, absolute dunces.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. He looked very uncomfortable. I get the sentiment but it's pretty embarrassing stuff from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yet he still went on to give the same message their t-shirts say.
    He's all about that stupid religious shït.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Effects wrote: »
    Yet he still went on to give the same message their t-shirts say.
    He's all about that stupid religious shït.

Why is it stupid?

I can't help but notice the similarity between how those dunces were acting and the crowd at this concert:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/17/17704528/khabib-nurmagomedov-outraged-by-modern-dagestan-for-hosting-hip-hop-concert-receives-backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Commanchie wrote: »
    Why is it stupid?

Belief in a supernatural space ghost with superpowers without any proof. That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Effects wrote: »
    Belief in a supernatural space ghost with superpowers without any proof. That's why.

Ohhh righttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Uh oh snowflake alert

Commanchie wrote: »
    Ohhh righttttt

I mean he has a point.... It is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Another Hardy insight that I thought was insane - Conor threw almost the same volume in Diaz 1 than he did in seven finishes in the UFC. Crazy stat.

Of course, also stands testament to Diaz taking a good smack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Another Hardy insight that I thought was insane - Conor threw almost the same volume in Diaz 1 than he did in seven finishes in the UFC. Crazy stat.

Of course, also stands testament to Diaz taking a good smack.

Hardly a secret that the two of them can take a slap or two :)

I do love watching Hardy's breakdowns, he's such a nerd for the sport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement