Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dulux99 wrote: »
    Honestly mate you are just boring. Obsessive hatred for a person you don't know is a weird trait.

Anyways, McGregor and Khabib both on Helwani tomorrow.

No hatred my friend but to call Khabib a bum is bonkers and shows a lack of knowledge of the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Yeah the Eir Sport package which is the only way to get BT Sport is the only way to get UFC 229

It's free with Eir broadband though, maybe you might have a relation with eir broadband who has no interest in sport and you could get eir sport through them for free, all you need is their account number and you can then get it for your Sky box or use the Eir Sport app with a Chromecast

Just an account number and you're good to? My work has Eir broadband and I'm sure they wouldn't mind me using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

It's just some scuffs, but on balance of probability and considering his pedigree it's likely he's taking shots rather than getting marked up grappling. Not sure if the wisest this close to someone like McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

All I'm saying is he could have defended one..The fact is he hasn't..4 times!..Like, if it was once you'd say something..

Yeah, I don't like him, but Jesus, the legitimate point is there..

Are you really a champion if you don't?..

(Someone link that "I'll be a busy champion" clip..)

Tbh I have never bought into this notion that you are not a champion until you defend the belt. Its baffling. You are a champion when you beat the champ and win the belt. End of story.

Furthermore its entirely understandable that he would prefer to fight for a second belt rather than just defend the first one. Its a far more prestigious and lucrative option. Every champ would do the same if they could, but they cant because they don't possess CM's leverage.

Likewise in terms of his failure to defend the lightweight belt, would you rather defend a belt you already won or would you prefer to fight floyd for a $100 million paycheck? Its a no brainer. I accept the fact that in the end stripping him was justified from a UFC point of view, but I really think the whole "he has never defended any belts" criticism is totally overstated. Just like most of the criticism haters throw at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

He's probably taking heavy shots in training still in the hope he picks up an injury so he can pull out.

Also, in that interview he sounds very dehydrated already nearly a week out from weigh ins. Won't surprise me at all if he doesn't show up to weigh ins Friday morning. BUM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Effects wrote: »
    It sounds like he's taking it personally. He might seem like he's still quite relaxed and level headed, but based on his words, McGregor is getting to him.

He's always said that he is going to make Mcgregor humble. Regardless he won't rush in or think that Conor will be erratic on the day, Khabib won't fall for it like Nate didn't fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

some Ivan Drago-esque scariness from Khabib there. wouldn't read into his emotional state based on a media interview.

I think he's finished hard sparring now but I'd imagine he wanted to get in as much as possible to prep for a striker the calibre of Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just an account number and you're good to? My work has Eir broadband and I'm sure they wouldn't mind me using it.

That and the phone number is all I think I needed to create the my eir account needed to set it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Inside The Octagon was a great watch (as always).

Interesting that Hardy thinks Conor will continue to use his variety of kicks throughout the fight despite Khabib’s obvious takedown threat.

He also cites that Conor could have Khabib in trouble with his elbows and strikes when Khabib has his head down trying to secure the takedowns if against the fence.

Hardy feels after all his years of studying fighters and doing breakdowns, he’s never seen anyone with a better understanding of utilizing range as Conor. He feels Khabib’s understanding of range is light years away from Conor’s.

It’s not something that he ever really gets credited for, but Dan also thinks that Conor’s takedown and grappling defense is “excellent”.

On the other end of the scale he says that Khabib’s boxing technique is poor and he’d never train anyone to fight like that, but as it’s so unorthodox he could perhaps surprise Conor with it as Conor is so used to training for and countering traditional strikers.

He broke down Khabib’s ground game nicely and showed how Khabib will keep pounding on Conor instead of taking submissions that arise.

Ultimately, he thinks Conor can live with Khabib on the ground enough to survive, but that he doesn’t think Khabib can do the same with Conor on the feet.

Dan obviously never gives predictions on the program, but if he was pressed I think he’d be leaning strongly enough towards Conor based on his breakdown.

• Advertisement

Think Dan Hardy picked him to win in the 2nd or 3rd on some bbc podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

ricero wrote: »
    He really didnt make hard work of it. He played with Al for 5 rounds. It was 50-44, 50-43 and 50-43 on the scorecards.

Mcgregor fanboys make me lol.

it went 5 rounds! so yes he made hard work of it
    he won easy on scorecards yes , but really it should have been 1st or second round finish if he is that good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

sc86 wrote: »
    But really it should have been 1st or second round finish if he is that good

Except he prefers to wear you down to get the win, and he's rarely lost a round.

And he said he's not going to make it easy for Conor by trying to sub him early on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Iaquinta also took Khabib 5 rounds despite only training for 3 rounds. He took that fight on a day's notice. I don't subscribe to the theory that Khabib will smash McGregor in the later rounds, because I just don't think he has the gas to do it. People forget that McGregor rallied and won the 4th round against Diaz who is a cardio machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Effects wrote: »
    Except he prefers to wear you down to get the win, and he's rarely lost a round.

And he said he's not going to make it easy for Conor by trying to sub him early on!

if he has option to finish him in first im sure he will take it happily

i get it that his game is high intensity , constant pressure , wear you down
    the thing is he has fought very few top guys so who knows if he will get his way like that at that level of fighter

its what makes the fight interesting but its just got the feel it will end like the alverez fight in him being out of his depth
    time will tell i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Iaquinta also took Khabib 5 rounds despite only training for 3 rounds. He took that fight on a day's notice. I don't subscribe to the theory that Khabib will smash McGregor in the later rounds, because I just don't think he has the gas to do it. People forget that McGregor rallied and won the 4th round against Diaz who is a cardio machine.

Just on this, having a mo ster on top of you wrestling g is honestly one of the most draining things you can experience. Every part of you feels wiped, you can't breathe, limbs feel heavy, slow and sore by the end

Just on this, having a mo ster on top of you wrestling g is honestly one of the most draining things you can experience. Every part of you feels wiped, you can't breathe, limbs feel heavy, slow and sore by the end

Never said otherwise. I just have my doubts that Khabib can go for more than 3 rounds at the pace he sets. He's only been in one 5 round fight and looked pretty average against a guy who had trained exclusively for 3 rounds. He should have been able to wipe the floor with Iaquinta in rds 4&5, and didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Never said otherwise. I just have my doubts that Khabib can go for more than 3 rounds at the pace he sets. He's only been in one 5 round fight and looked pretty average against a guy who had trained exclusively for 3 rounds. He should have been able to wipe the floor with Iaquinta in rds 4&5, and didn't.

Conors cardio is that bad and drops off so steep that I would fancy Khabib to give him hell standing if we hit round 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I'm backing Conors cardio to be better if it comes to it. The recovered knee for rosd work and 2 years with the doctor should have him in a better state even if he has had the odd bender.

It just doesn't seem like his power carrys late on, though maybe this will change if his cardio improves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

darced wrote: »
    Conors cardio is that bad and drops off so steep that I would fancy Khabib to give him hell standing if we hit round 4 or 5.

McGregor outstruck Diaz in the 4th and 5th rounds of their fight. No way Khabib gives him hell standing.

The two times McGregor has been fatigued to the point of debilitation were Diaz 1 and Mayweather.

He clearly approached the diaz fight wrong. Made every mistake he could have made. He corrected those mistakes and outlasted Diaz later that year in a five rounder. Diaz's cardio is on another planet to Khabibs, based on Khabibs only five rounder to date.

The Mayweather fight is not comparable. Pro boxers spend years and years working up to 12 rounds. Mcgregor tried to do it in about 3 months. Plus - he was fighting Floyd feckin Mayweather.

I'm not saying McGregor has amazing cardio, but it's not like he's a one round wonder either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I think this fight comes Down to how hard khabibs head is. I don't think he can finish Mcgregor basis on the fights I've watched. So my ultimate conclusion is Down to how hard his head is. If its really hard he could win on points but if its only kinda hard the fight will be stopped in the second, winning me a few bob in paddy powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

xtal191 wrote: »
    Think Dan Hardy picked him to win in the 2nd or 3rd on some bbc podcast

Dan Hardy also said Till would walk through Woodley.

Big fan of Hardys analysis but he nearly has a worse record than Sonnen for picking winners in a fight.

Bisping is usually always right and i think he picked Mcgregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

The two times McGregor has been fatigued to the point of debilitation were Diaz 1 and Mayweather.

He clearly approached the diaz fight wrong. Made every mistake he could have made. He corrected those mistakes and outlasted Diaz later that year in a five rounder. Diaz's cardio is on another planet to Khabibs, based on Khabibs only five rounder to date.

The Mayweather fight is not comparable. Pro boxers spend years and years working up to 12 rounds. Mcgregor tried to do it in about 3 months.

I'm not saying McGregor has amazing cardio, but it's not like he's a one round wonder either.

He completly gassed in Diaz 2 as well, it went from a total mismatch to a war by the 3rd round because Conor started huffing and puffing. He was all over the shopping turning his back and looking up at the clock.

This fight is all on Khabibs chin, can he take it early or not. If it goes longer than 3 prepare to see gassed face Conor again, I guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

He completly gassed in Diaz 2 as well, it went from a total mismatch to a war by the 3rd round because Conor started huffing and puffing. He was all over the shopping turning his back and looking up at the clock.

This fight is all on Khabibs chin, can he take it early or not. If it goes longer than 3 prepare to see gassed face Conor again, I guarantee it.
    if he can stay calm and collected like he did with alverez the cardio shouldn't be an issue. He did lots of cardio for the boxing match and I'd say he has been sparing for 5 rounds daily ever since. I'd say he has been training for this fight long before it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

The Mayweather fight is not comparable. Pro boxers spend years and years working up to 12 rounds. Mcgregor tried to do it in about 3 months.

And while its not quite the same, he gassed badly against Floyd.

He did get second wind in Diaz 2 in his defence. But those fights where boxing near enough, the damage from defending against someone like Khabib - be it avoiding the take down or defending while down and trying to posture up will be mighty sapping.

It's a fascinating fight.

And it comes down to how Khabib can take a McGregor shot really. That's what will make or break this IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

https://youtu.be/Ei4JWkfT680

New maclife interview with conor he seems intense not sure what to make of it.

https://youtu.be/qh5C6bPdHl4

NEW Khabib interview

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

"With all due respect, to everyone, Fúck Everyone" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Was conor at a horse fair?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement