Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Interesting that McGregor's camp are floating the idea that Khabib might not make the weight.
    I thikk lots of people are saying this, he look very big at the press conference, and has history,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I thikk lots of people are saying this, he look very big at the press conference, and has history,

A history which he's probably sorted out since his fight cancellation in March.
    In much the same way Conor has a history of cardio issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Interesting that McGregor's camp are floating the idea that Khabib might not make the weight.

As they should, they should be pushing that line into the media, hoping they start pressing Khabib on it. Conor will keep pressing on his family and manager too at the presser I'd imagine.

As cool as Khabib is/seems, during a weight cut, having to do media interviews, they should aim to have as many questions posed to Khabib based on what Conor or his camp has said as it'll surely get on his nerves after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Effects wrote: »

What has Khabib's weight have to do with Conors cardio ?

What has Khabib's weight have to do with Conors cardio ?

They are both big issues that have affected their fights in the past.

Issues that they are both working on but people seem to think either fighter isn't aware of the problem or doing anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Weight cutting is very different to cardio/strength/technical improvements though.
    Successfully making weight doesn't fixed issues you had previously. Next time, the weight cut is just as hard as ever. If you come into fight week too heavy, you'll miss weight. A lot of the guys with weight issues are repeat offenders.

Mellor wrote: »
    Weight cutting is very different to cardio/strength/technical improvements though.
    Successfully making weight doesn't fixed issues you had previously. Next time, the weight cut is just as hard as ever. If you come into fight week too heavy, you'll miss weight. A lot of the guys with weight issues are repeat offenders.

I'm not saying they are similar in terms of linked improvements. I'm saying Conor has cardio issues, and people think he's not going to have worked on this.
    Khabib has issues cutting weight, and people think he's not going to have worked on this.
    Didn't he sort himself out with a new nutritionist post 209 to try and avoid these issues in the future?

• Effects wrote: »

Issues that they are both working on but people seem to think either fighter isn't aware of the problem or doing anything about it.

You can't miss a fight for some perceived cardio issues. You can for not making weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Didn't he sort himself out with a new nutritionist post 209 to try and avoid these issues in the future?

He hasn't, going by that Anatomy of a Fighter video posted a few pages back anyway. His manager Ali was cooking his dinner for him in that.

You can't miss a fight for some perceived cardio issues. .

Who ever said you could?

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He hasn't, going by that Anatomy of a Fighter video posted a few pages back anyway. His manager Ali was cooking his dinner for him in that.
    Yeah, I saw that big spread that was put on when they arrived at the house. Was he eating it though?

He had a nutritionist for 219. But dropped him for the next fight, 223, due to a conflict of interest. Afaik, he not working with him for this one. Maybe he found 223 a breeze so didn't see the need.

One prevents a fight from happening, the other has a potential effect on a fighter during an actual fight.

It's an odd thing to be comparing.
    You either make weight or you don't and that's it.

He had a nutritionist for 219. But dropped him for the next fight, 223, due to a conflict of interest. Afaik, he not working with him for this one. Maybe he found 223 a breeze so didn't see the need.

Yeah, I just took a look at his social media to see if he was around for Khabib's camp and no sign of him. I thought the affiliation to Lockhart might have been some sort of conflict. I didn't know he had dropped him for 223.
    Hopfully with Ali cooking for him Khabib will struggle to make weight and it'll affect his performance.

It's an odd thing to be comparing.
    You either make weight or you don't and that's it.

Depends on which way you compare them. I think you just didn't understand my post.
    You could also say you gas in a fight or you don't.

Yeah, I saw that big spread that was put on when they arrived at the house. Was he eating it though?

I didn't see him eat the big feed but a few seconds later Ali was over a frying pan doing some salmon and cutting garlic saying it was for Khabib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I think I remember talks of some sort of falling out.

I think I remember talks of some sort of falling out.

I think it was after Tony got injured, and Max stepped in. Khabib fired (or parted with) Lockhart/Minton because they were working with Max. Gave a few interviews about Max's cut etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

I am at a wedding in Benalmadena this weekend

Just from googling nowhere appears to be advertising the fight. A long shot but anyone know off the top of their head of a bar who might show it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

A bar at 6am you will be lucky...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

R.F. wrote: »

Just from googling nowhere appears to be advertising the fight. A long shot but anyone know off the top of their head of a bar who might show it?

Best bet would be up at the 24hr square. One of the places up there will defo show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

ricero wrote: »
    Dan Hardy also said Till would walk through Woodley.

Big fan of Hardys analysis but he nearly has a worse record than Sonnen for picking winners in a fight.

Bisping is usually always right and i think he picked Mcgregor.

I think GSP has picked the right winner for all of Conors fights and he's picked Khabib.

It's funny, I always thought Khabib would be Conors toughest fight but the more I think about the fight, especially after re watching Khabibs most recent fights and Conor vs Alvarez, the more I think Conor will make an absolute show of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

R.F. wrote: »

AS said earlier, one of the tacky bars like St. Andrew's in the square will probably show it. There's a few Irish bars scattered around the place too, one of them will probably show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Conor has an excellent chance to score the KO here. Khabib getting very overrated by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Axwell wrote: »
    Open workouts Wed
    Presser Thur
    Official Weigh In Fri morning (US Time)
    Ceremonial Weigh In Fri Evening (USTime)

Cheers axwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think this fight is going the distance. Khabib isn't a prolific finisher. His GnP is nasty, but it's not concussive, more slashing blows that cut you up.

I also don't subscribe to the idea that Khabib will be the automatic winner if it goes the distance. McGregor's path to victory will obviously be more difficult though.

I can see Khabib getting dropped a few times, but not KO'd fully, as he's shown a solid chin in the past. He's good off his back and it will be hard to finish the job, and McGregor might be hesitant to follow him down.

Anyways, can't wait.

• Hopefully Conor takes the leanings from the Diaz 1/2 fights & even his fight with Mayweather and look to utilize his energy better this time around.
    I think he will slap the ****e out of Khabib once he doesn't go mad wild in round 1.

Hopefully Conor takes the leanings from the Diaz 1/2 fights and look to utilize his energy better this time around.
    I think he will slap the ****e out of Khabib once he doesn't go mad wild in round 1.

Just like the fight with Eddie.

How do you approach this fight if you are McGregor? Pressure Khabib and keep him on the back foot or let him come forward and try pick him off with counter strikes?

The first exchange as always is so interesting. Does Khabib charge out from the off to get the takedown as soon as possible or does he trade on the feet first and wait for a clean opportunity, being wary of getting caught on the way in.

• Advertisement

Just like the fight with Eddie.

I think so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement