Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭robwen

He`s still the champ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sounds like they are just stringing the fans along and placating the 'vacate or defend' brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

robwen wrote: »
    He`s still the champ

Doesn’t really clarify anything. Dana stated that Ferguson-Khabib is for the undisputed belt. In that clip he states that if McGregor signs up for a fight he won’t be stripped. How can there be 2 undisputed champs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

It'd be pretty dumb to officially make the announcement that he's been stripped now with tonight's event plus the press conferences and finalising of the fights for 222 and 223 just after happening. Stripping Conor now means all the focus and news is on him and from a business standpoint it's suicide. Wait a week or two and I'd assume they'll announce it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Urindanger wrote: »
    It'd be pretty dumb to officially make the announcement that he's been stripped now with tonight's event plus the press conferences and finalising of the fights for 222 and 223 just after happening. Stripping Conor now means all the focus and news is on him and from a business standpoint it's suicide. Wait a week or two and I'd assume they'll announce it then.

He pretty much says in the video that he'll only be stripped if he doesn't agree to fight the winner before the Khabib/Tony fight. It's pretty much double speak from him to keep both parties happy.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    He pretty much says in the video that he'll only be stripped if he doesn't agree to fight the winner before the Khabib/Tony fight. It's pretty much double speak from him to keep both parties happy.

But if he agrees to fight the winner, how does he get to keep his belt AND the winner of Ferguson-Khabib become undisputed champ.

But if he agrees to fight the winner, how does he get to keep his belt AND the winner of Ferguson-Khabib become undisputed champ.

We'll find out soon enough.

We'll find out soon enough.

I’d love it if Khabib beats Ferguson. McGregor starts his nonsense about wanting to fight Khabib, and Khabib says, nah, I want to drop to 145 first and be the first champion to hold, and defend, two belts and leaves McGregor hanging.

I’d love it if Khabib beats Ferguson. McGregor starts his nonsense about wanting to fight Khabib, and Khabib says, nah, I want to drop to 145 first and be the first champion to hold, and defend, two belts and leaves McGregor hanging.

More like be the first UFC champion to die making weight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

No chance Khabib makes that weight cut unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    No chance Khabib makes that weight cut unfortunately.

I think he could with his new dietician. We’ll see what happens anyway, but I’d love the new champ to fcuk McGregor around in much the same way McGregor has done to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

after watching the press conference i get the feeling Dana is trying to force conors hand by been very public that he will strip him of the belt. i think dana is terrified if conor is stripped he wont come back and the ufc loses there cash cow.

while i am a big fan of conor i think its very disrespectful to not only tony and khabib but too everyone in the division that he has held the belt up for this length of time.

honestly i think Dana should strip him and make him humble and let him work back up to a title shot and not give him the option of the winner of tony/khabib without fighting his way back up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Doesn’t really clarify anything. Dana stated that Ferguson-Khabib is for the undisputed belt. In that clip he states that if McGregor signs up for a fight he won’t be stripped. How can there be 2 undisputed champs??

UFC is just a phony prowrestling company anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    after watching the press conference i get the feeling Dana is trying to force conors hand by been very public that he will strip him of the belt. i think dana is terrified if conor is stripped he wont come back and the ufc loses there cash cow.

while i am a big fan of conor i think its very disrespectful to not only tony and khabib but too everyone in the division that he has held the belt up for this length of time.

honestly i think Dana should strip him and make him humble and let him work back up to a title shot and not give him the option of the winner of tony/khabib without fighting his way back up

Tony and Khabib should refuse the fight unless Dana actually states whether Conor is stripped or not. No more double speak like a useless politician.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    UFC is just a phony prowrestling company anymore.

Regardless of what you think of him, Conor is getting everyone paid more. Khabib manager has said as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

So how will he be the first to hold and defend 2 belts?......should he win the 145 he's have to defend that belt first or he's gonna defend both belts belts same night??

won't he be holding up the 155 in that case? that's ok is it because he's not called McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,343 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

tommyboy26 wrote: »

If they strip him there is now way he'll ever have to work his way back to a title shot ever again. He's just too big a star now. He'll probably fight a tune-up fight and get an immediate title shot. They could of course strip him and make him "humble" as you say but right now they probably need Conor more than he needs them. If they didn't they would have stripped him 6 months ago.

Conor is probably not going to fight a lot of fights going forward so the UFC will want to get maximum bang for their buck from any fight he does have. They won't put him in there with a succession of contenders. It will just be big fights from now on.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

sonofenoch wrote: »
    So how will he be the first to hold and defend 2 belts?......should he win the 145 he's have to defend that belt first or he's gonna defend both belts belts same night??

won't he be holding up the 155 in that case? that's ok is it because he's not called McGregor

Not if he actually defends them at some stage, instead of winning 145, then pissing around at 170 for two fights before going to 155, winning that, and not fighting since bar a circus of a boxing match.

Don't be a blind McGregor fan. If a fighter really wanted to they could defend two titles actively.

How will be holding them up if he’s ACTIVELY defending them??

How will be holding them up if he’s ACTIVELY defending them??

How will he defend them with 1 leg?

• Advertisement

How will he defend them with 1 leg?

He’s an expert hopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think he could with his new dietician. We’ll see what happens anyway, but I’d love the new champ to fcuk McGregor around in much the same way McGregor has done to others.

I think 45 would be madness for Khabib, not impossible, but conceivably dangerous. He's yet to hit 55 on the button in some time - even at 205 he was 156. 170 is obviously feasible and he'd no doubt be competitive. I think if he gets his hands on the LW he goes for the WW title. Imagine that.

Though we all know McGregor fancies his chances against Dos Anjos and wouldn't mind a crack at him at 170, but I don't see Dos Anjos beating Woodley.

Interesting few months ahead. And if you want to believe Dana - Jones, A Diaz, Brock all fighting in 2018 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bisping on his podcast said that Conor has actually been stripped, cited the fact that they have the same manager and then said he's "reading between the lines" and his "powers of deduction" are good. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well then why are they being cagey about it? O_o

Paully D wrote: »
    Bisping on his podcast said that Conor has actually been stripped, cited the fact that they have the same manager and then said he's "reading between the lines" and his "powers of deduction" are good. :pac:

The stripped stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The stripped stripped.
    Breaking more records what a guy :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Conor fan and im very dissapointed in his attitude tbh

All this talk about mma growing in ireland etc , that will all stop

I genuinely think he is afraid

Or as he said about aldo " he has a kid and that changes everything in ur head "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Faugheen wrote: »
    Not if he actually defends them at some stage, instead of winning 145, then pissing around at 170 for two fights before going to 155, winning that, and not fighting since bar a circus of a boxing match.

Don't be a blind McGregor fan. If a fighter really wanted to they could defend two titles actively.

Ok leaving McGregor out of the equation ...he beats Ferguson then goes swanning off to 145 .....that's 3 months preparation minimum plus fight date, where's Tony's rematch? he's left hanging ......you're looking at 9 months before another 155 fight in that case .......plus there's no way in hell Khabib fights more than twice in a year......which belt does he defend first while holding the other up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

where's Tony's rematch?

First of all, why does Tony deserve a rematch?
    Second of all, why do you assume Khabib needs a 3 month fight camp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ok leaving McGregor out of the equation ...he beats Ferguson then goes swanning off to 145 .....that's 3 months preparation minimum plus fight date, where's Tony's rematch? he's left hanging ......you're looking at 9 months before another 155 fight in that case .......plus there's no way in hell Khabib fights more than twice in a year......which belt does he defend first while holding the other up?

Your posts have quite the smell of cringe off them tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement