Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Absolutely sickened for Sean O'Malley

Trace amounts of ostarine in his samples, USADA have said that the company he was using for his caffeine pills are notorious for having cross contamination, and the trace that was found in his sample was clearly from a tainted sample, but have still pulled him from the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm trying to be the voice of reason..going 'what are ye at lads?'

The voice of reason works both sides of the fence. I don't think that applies to your good self? :)

I've no problem if you want to bash and snide comment all the time. I find a lot of it amusing*. I just don't get the mentality behind it.

Edit: Amusing, not abusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I wonder will Tony and Pettis be at the presser this week. Tony sitting beside Khabib or Conor would be mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Tony going full on goofball.
    Still, might give more of a reaction than Khabib

eeloe wrote: »

Trace amounts of ostarine in his samples, USADA have said that the company he was using for his caffeine pills are notorious for having cross contamination, and the trace that was found in his sample was clearly from a tainted sample, but have still pulled him from the card.

Do USADA not have a list of approved supplements and medication? If not, why not? And if they do then no athlete should have the excuse 'I didn't know'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

eeloe wrote: »

Yeah, I was looking forward to him fighting. Such a great card for a rising fighter like him to be on. He seems to be taking it as well as he can.

I wonder will Tony and Pettis be at the presser this week. Tony sitting beside Khabib or Conor would be mad.

Maybe stick Conor in between them.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The voice of reason works both sides of the fence. I don't think that applies to your good self? :)

I've no problem if you want to bash and snide comment all the time. I find a lot of it abusing. I just don't get the mentality behind it.

ok..first and foremost..I'll say I don't like the persona he portrays..he seems to embody everything I don't like in people..the devotion he seems to inspire is an interesting social phenomenon though..like, grown men worshipping the whole 'school bully in a fancy suit knacker leprechaun' craic..no matter what he does its like 'well, I admire his passion and work ethic'..Hitler was passionate and had a work ethic as well I'd imagine..an artist as well..

But yeah, most of my posts here should probably be viewed as maybe a bit tongue in cheek..but surely to someone with such self belief, it shouldn't really matter..

And I'm bored..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

ok..first and foremost..I'll say I don't like the persona he portrays..he seems to embody everything I don't like in people..the devotion he seems to inspire is an interesting social phenomenon though..like, grown men worshipping the whole 'school bully in a fancy suit knacker leprechaun' craic..no matter what he does its like 'well, I admire his passion and work ethic'..Hitler was passionate and had a work ethic as well I'd imagine..an artist as well..

But yeah, most of my posts here should probably be viewed as maybe a bit tongue in cheek..but surely to someone with such self belief, it shouldn't really matter..

And I'm bored..

Might help if you viewed some of Conor's promotional antics as tongue in cheek too. Just a thought.

Might help if you viewed some of Conor's promotional antics as tongue in cheek too. Just a thought.

You can't throw a handcart at a bus tongue in cheek..unless it's like plastic or foam or something..

• Advertisement

You can't throw a handcart at a bus tongue in cheek..unless it's like plastic or foam or something..

That wasn't a promotional move. Listening to him on Ariel's show you can see just how much he values his relationship with Artem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

And I'm bored..

Is this the first instance of Godwin's Law on this thread, can't remember to be honest.

Your posts seem, to me, to be a tad more vitriolic than tongue in cheek, but then there's often something lost in translation on fora such as these.

The admission that you're bored is a little more problematic, as its suggests the posts border on trolling rather than having a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

like, grown men worshipping the whole 'school bully in a fancy suit knacker leprechaun' craic..no matter what he does its like 'well, I admire his passion and work ethic'..Hitler was passionate and had a work ethic as well I'd imagine..an artist as well..

Well...not even half 10 in the a.m. and we're talking Hitler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Sad ill not see Sean fight loved him on the contender a hardy lad with a fine skillset.

cletus wrote: »
    Is this the first instance of Godwin's Law on this thread, can't remember to be honest.

Your posts seem, to me, to be a tad more vitriolic than tongue in cheek, but then there's often something lost in translation on fora such as these.

I'd probably characterise them more as a gentle ribbing as opposed to vitriolic..and generally humorous..

I wouldn't want to be outright insulting..I know how ye get about Conor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do USADA not have a list of approved supplements and medication? If not, why not? And if they do then no athlete should have the excuse 'I didn't know'.
    They have a list of supplements that have listed ingredients on the banned list. Or have been found to ace been tainted* with banned substances that weren't listed. But they don't keep a list of clean supplements. There are two many products on the market to test them all. And even if they did, the test would only be good for that batch. A subsequent batch could be tainted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Who was the steve guy in the latest Roddy vlog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Have just watched Embedded. "Khabib's Army" definitely one of the worst things in UFC history.

I was cringing for Khabib there. They were like a group of software dev nerds shouting and acting hard.

And I'm bored..

First off, I meant to say I find it amusing, not abusing as per my original post. Edited now.

I can understand the sychophants coming on here. It's no different than similar lads who frequent the Liverpool or Man Utd threads. I think there is one, maybe two posters in here who will not condone McGregor no matter what he does. There are a lot more who will not give him credit for anything he does.

Mellor wrote: »
    They have a list of supplements that have listed ingredients on the banned list. Or have been found to ace been tainted* with banned substances that weren't listed. But they don't keep a list of clean supplements. There are two many products on the market to test them all. And even if they did, the test would only be good for that batch. A subsequent batch could be tainted.

WADA have a list I'm pretty sure. You can go online and type in the product you want to take. It will tell you if it's approved and if it's not it suggests an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Who was the steve guy in the latest Roddy vlog?

I had to Google him to see what was the craic. He is some health and fitness business owner but also is a gymshark athlete so he either paid to have a training session with Conor's coach or gymshark had Owen meet up with him as part of their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

WADA have a list I'm pretty sure. You can go online and type in the product you want to take. It will tell you if it's approved and if it's not it suggests an alternative.

But what happens if you use a product and it was wada approved but it was cross contaminated.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I had to Google him to see what was the craic. He is some health and fitness business owner but also is a gymshark athlete so he either paid to have a training session with Conor's coach or gymshark had Owen meet up with him as part of their brand.

Roddy needs to keep in mind what people need to know if thats the case I thought he was someone famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you sure?
    I find it a bit hard to believe they'd try to do something like that.

2 second google turned up this;
    https://www.wada-ama.org/en/questions-answers/prohibited-list-qa#item-1360
    3. CAN A SUPPLEMENT COMPANY HAVE THEIR PRODUCTS APPROVED BY WADA?

WADA is not involved in any certification process regarding supplements and therefore does not certify or endorse manufacturers or their products. WADA does not control the quality or the claims of the supplements industry which may, from time to time, claim that their products have been approved or certified by WADA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd probably characterise them more as a gentle ribbing as opposed to vitriolic..and generally humorous..

I wouldn't want to be outright insulting..I know how ye get about Conor..

I'm sure you're gently ribbing me here, but I don't consider myself to be either a nuthugger or sycophantic. I am, first and foremost, a fan of mma, and I come to this forum because you can get reasoned and informed discussion and debate. I have left a number of other fora due to the general stupidity of the posting, and while I can put up with (for the most part) those who are simply passionate either way re. McGregor, I find it off putting that people come here to stir shït because they're bored or to see what reaction they can elicit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bit surprised about his eagerness to stay in the UFC for the forseeable future. Talking about a number of fights he has in mind after the Khabib fight. What happened to 'Get in. Get Rich. Get out'? That been said I'm not complaining. Love him or hate him nobody else generates such excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Roddy needs to keep in mind what people need to know if thats the case I thought he was someone famous.

He's pretty famous among the bodybuilding and fitness industries with a couple million followers on social media, but I can see your point that not every joe soap that watches the vlog would recognise him.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not calling you a joe soap :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

And I'm bored..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Duff wrote: »
    He's pretty famous among the bodybuilding and fitness industries with a couple million followers on social media, but I can see your point that not every joe soap that watches the vlog would recognise him.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not calling you a joe soap :pac:

Yeah fair enough, something in the bottom of the video would have sufficed. I've been called worse, love Roddys vlogs unfortunately these ones not as good as before however that may be fatigue on my part rather than quality.

• Advertisement

Ah, I didn't compare yer man to Hitler..I asked whether the fact that Hitler was driven, got to the top of his game, and aroused such blind devotion is something to be admired, and if we should overlook everything else he did because of that..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement