Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

A Gamebred appearance perhaps.

One can only dream. For a minute I taught it would be Wonder v Gamebred as the 230 main event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Who was the poster that got banned because of his hate of Ido portal? Use to get some buzz off him going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Anybody see tony ferguson’s media scrum ???

Dudes a weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who was the poster that got banned because of his hate of Ido portal? Use to get some buzz off him going mad.
    Warz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dana predicting 3million ppvs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

dave1982 wrote: »

Dana will say mass in the vatican befkre it gets 3 million ppvs. Not even 2 IMO

Commanchie wrote: »

Haha i know he even claims this is so big even he had to buy his own ticket to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Haha i know he even claims this is so big even he had to buy his own ticket to attend

Gotta love Dana, we'll miss him when he's gone. I can see Conor taking over the president role at some point. WME will recognise it will be better to have him pop up at every PPV card instead of one every couple of years, even if it is just chatting at a presser.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Might as well go full Dr Evil meme and claim 100 million PPVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Commanchie wrote: »

I would pay more money to watch Dana White say mass in the Vatican as the main event of UFC 230 than the actual main event they are giving us.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sijara Eubanks headlining a PPV? Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is the only way to watch this through eir sport lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'm fairly sure you can order it through Fight Pass and PlayStation/XBox Live as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I'm fairly sure you can order it through Fight Pass and PlayStation/XBox Live as well.

Don't think this option is available anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Nope, don't think so. They have exclusivity with BT and EIR in Ireland/UK. It is blacked out until wednesday.

He's asked about Irish fans travelling over and replies:

"Yeah, massive ticket sales in the UK ... um and Ireland"

He just about managed to get his foot out of his mouth there fairly quick. I remember Conor having a go at him for thinking Ireland was part of the UK...seems like it didn't sink in :o

• This is a great watch

ianob7 wrote: »
    Don't think this option is available anymore
    D.Q wrote: »
    Nope, don't think so. They have exclusivity with BT and EIR in Ireland/UK. It is blacked out until wednesday.

What a mess. I'm with Virgin Media which doesn't carry BT/Eir Sport and have the use of my dads SkyGo account with all those channels too. Yet I won't be able to watch the fight 'legitimately'!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

What a mess. I'm with Virgin Media which doesn't carry BT/Eir Sport and have the use of my dads SkyGo account with all those channels too. Yet I won't be able to watch the fight 'legitimately'!
    It's been like that a while chief

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It's been like that a while chief

Fair enough, but I usually just watch the fights back the day after on certain websites. This is one I'll watch live and would pay to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

"how he seems to treat female physicians after a fight" is absolute nonsense too, you're looking for things to justify your irrational dislike of him based on his religious beliefs.

I agree that much of the criticism of Khabib is irrational and based on reflexive anti-religious sentiment (and ignorance).

However the notion of talking nonsense and looking for things to justify ones dislike of a fighter could be applied far more so to CM's detractors, the majority of whom appear to be motivated not so much by mere dislike, but by an intense hatred that borders on pathological. To the degree that virtually ANY praise of him, no matter how rational or modest, is instantly met by the same hackneyed trope, namely accusations of "dick riding" or "ring tonguing" or any one of a plethora of crude homosexual innuendos. Ironically many of these were the very same people who screamed loudest about him being a "homophobe" during the Mayweather promotion circus.

Its amazing to observe how hatred can so completely warp a persons perceptions that they can only see the worst in an another human being. If CM gives a charitable donation, its just cynical publicity stunt (one poster seriously compared it to Al Capones soup kitchens lol). If he praises a past opponent such as Max or Aldo, its only to make himself look good by bigging up the guys he has beaten. If he cuts a promo to sell a fight then he is a WWE clown. If he chooses to take a more lucrative and prestigious fight for the lightweight belt instead of immediately rematching Aldo, its because he is a coward who is "afraid" of getting back in the cage with him. Yep that's right, afraid of the man he just spent 18 months chasing before starching him in 13 seconds. You couldn't make this stuff up. When the Khabib fight was being floated, I read plenty of posts on different fora where haters loudly declaimed that the fight will never materialise because McGregor is ducking him, knowing that he will get smashed. Even after the fight was announced some people were saying its a publicity stunt and Conor will find an excuse to drop out to avoid being humiliated. Oddly enough as the fight gets closer those voices have grown progressively quieter given that their confident predictions look increasingly stupid. When he voiced concern recently that Khabib would not make weight, and said he is prepared to fight Pettis or Tony, the fact that he mentioned Pettis was held up as evidence of him looking for an easier fight. And on and on on it goes. Its both pathetic and fascinating in equal measure.

There is no shortage of haters out there who can't even bring themselves to admit Conor is an elite fighter. I have witnessed otherwise intelligent knowledgeable adults vehemently insist to me that the only reason he accomplished what he has is because the fights were fixed, either by McGregor bribing his opponent or Dana paying them to take a fall. This is the kind of deranged ****e that haters spew on a regular basis, and the number who actually believe it is frightening.

Others have told me with an absolutely straight face that he is a "fraud" who has somehow fluked his way into being a 2 division champion, and when he finally faces fighter X then he will be found out. Of course when he beats them, said fighter immediately becomes a bum and then the narrative changes to "when he beats fighter Y he will be exposed". Even now, there are plenty of people bigging up Khabib (justifiably so imho) and talking about how he will absolutely wreck Conor. I would bet everything I own that if McGregor somehow beats him, especially with an early knockout, then immediately the very same folks will be loudly proclaiming that Nurmagomedov is just an overrated journeyman with a record padded out from crushing cans, and only when CM is forced to fight Ferguson will we see the truth.

Its perfectly fine to dislike a person based on their attitude or behaviour. There are some things about CM's public persona and antics that I don't care for either. But dislike is one thing. Spewing out any old nonsense to justify an irrational hatred is entirely another. Without a doubt, the finest exponents of the latter are the McGregor haters. Whatever about "Trump Derangement Syndrome", McGregor Derangement Syndrome is absolutely real.

• Conor looking incredibly calm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If your da has Eir/BT sports on Sky, then he'll have a login for http://live.eirsport.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Still Ill

If your da has Eir/BT sports on Sky, then he'll have a login for http://live.eirsport.ie/

Got this sorted myself the other day, as my mother has Eir broadband. Was checking it out last night for the CL. Pretty annoying that there seems to be a 2-3 minute delay in comparison to TV coverage. Would want to have your phone on silent and stay off boards in between rounds if you're gonna be watching it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry to be a dope, is this being broadcast free on Eir sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Cyrus wrote:
    sorry to be a dope, is this being broadcast free on Eir sport?

It's gonna be broadcast on BT Sport which comes with the eir sport package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The striking stats are crazy. Khabib has better accuracy and defense..
    Common enough. Khabibs stats include ground strikes. Accuracy goes way up when you have somebody giftwraped underneath you.

I remember fightmetric talking about the "Riddle effect" after Matt Riddle threw nearly 200 strikes with 90% accuracy in a single round. After that they started breaking them down into significant strikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement