Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

well we'll consider ourselves educated uncle sam:rolleyes:

the **** americans post about Ireland is exhausting too I'm sure you'll agree. It's not all turf fields, in breeding, cottages and poitin stills either.
    We're not hicks that can be bowled over with false teeth, tits and low IQ's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rusty cole wrote: »
    well we'll consider ourselves educated uncle sam:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone's under any illusion of you being educated about anything to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

[QUOTE=rusty cole;108250710We're not hicks that can be bowled over with false teeth, tits and low IQ's.[/QUOTE]

I was born, raised and still live in Ireland and I can absolutely be bowled over by tits. How dare you suggest otherwise.

A Gamebred appearance perhaps.

what happened to that kid?

oooh scanning for sarcasm!! clean!! thanks buddy ol pal.
    there's a compliment or two in you yet.

all shyte aside right, with one or two exceptions I don't rate khabibs CV in the UFC. on paper to use an annoying phrase, mcgregor has a much more respectful CV, with 10 year champs, actual belt holders and one even going on to have a superb record in Max holloway, who's a beast of a kid really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Probably posted already as I haven't read this thread.

Press conference is 11pm Thursday will be streamed on YouTube :

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFC/featured?disable_polymer=1

Official weigh in is scheduled to start at 5pm on Friday, Ariel Helwani usually streams video of it via his Twitter feed and he can be very entertaining anyway.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani?lang=en

The ceremonial weigh-in is, I think, a bit of a joke but will start at 1am on Saturday also on UFC YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Mousewar wrote: »
    As a fair weather MMA fan (i.e. when McGregor fights) this may be a misplaced view but I wanted to voice it and see.
    It strikes me as interesting that I see this fight billed in many places as good guy Khabib (doesn't boast or smacktalk, just gets on with fight - good honest humble guy) versus scumbag McGregor (arrogant, trash talking, vulgar). Aside from the fact that most of that is performance and exaggeration, I get quite the opposite view of the two fighters from watching their fights.

They're both clearly good at what they do but in very different ways. Khabib is vicious. The few times he's finished an opponent he has done so mercilessly. I don't know the name of the fighter but it's the one where Khabib has the guy on the ground and holds his face in one hand and pummels it with the other. He does so repeatedly until the referee stops it. And if the ref didn't step in, you know he'd keep going and not even think about it.

I've seen enough of McGregor's fights to know he wouldn't do that. He never seeks to hurt a downed opponent anymore than is absolutely necessary. Think of the Buchinger fight. After he fell to the floor, Conor could easily have jumped on him and hammer fisted him but he saw he was done. I'm certain Khabib would have pummeled him. Any time Conor has had a nearly finished opponent down he has only ever really thrown a few perfunctory punches to satisfy the ref that the fight is over. The exception to this of course is Aldo but of course that was just 13 seconds into the fight so Conor can be forgiven for assuming Also still had a lot of fight left and he had to make his punches count.

Now, striking a downed opponent is of course part and parcel of the sport and I'm not saying Khabib is doing anything wrong, just that I think you can tell a lot more about how they are as men from how they fight rather than what they say. And what I see is that Conor is a respectful and fair fighter and Khabib is a vicious thug basically.
    That is just a style question or reason rather than it has anything to do with the persons character.
    Khabib style requires mercy.
    MG can take a step back and watch/wait

all shyte aside right, with one or two exceptions I don't rate khabibs CV in the UFC. on paper to use an annoying phrase, mcgregor has a much more respectful CV, with 10 year champs, actual belt holders and one even going on to have a superb record in Max holloway, who's a beast of a kid really.

Unquestionably so. Has anybody credibly tried to argue otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Rose was sexually abused as a kid, saw people being murdered in her neighbourhood, she grew up in a violent home with a father who suffered from schizophrenia. The girl has a lot of childhood trauma she's been very open about dealing with. The idea of something like that having a negative impact on her isn't all that strange.

Instead of being a crass fanboy, maybe try to understand context and show a bit of decorum?

I can certainly understand her being pissed off at the time, but I think her subsequent reactions were a little bizarre. Claiming to be afraid to leave her house, then telling Conor to **** off and apologise to her husband. If indeed she is as mentally and emotionally fragile as this, then perhaps she needs to rethink her moniker. You can't be as delicate as that and still call yourself "Thug". Karolina summed it up best when she shrugged her shoulders in bemusement and said something along the lines of having experienced worse incidents growing up in her home city.

As for the rest, most of the US fighters on the bus were university educated life long athletes who consider their profession just that, a profession. They don't go to work expecting 20 little scrotes from Dublin to be attacking their bus with railings and a metal trolley because somebody called their mate out for talking sh*t on TV

You make them sound like professional golfers or tennis players or something. They are supposed to be a collection of the most elite prize fighters on Earth. Trained killers who make a living by getting locked in a cage with other trained killers whose objective is to take their head off, choke them into unconsciousness or smash them into bloody insensibility. Those are not the kind of folks who should be reduced to a blubbering mass because some "scrote" threw a dolly at their bus.
    We're not hicks that can be bowled over with... tits

Speak for yourself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement

mangobob wrote: »
    Trained killers who make a living by getting locked in a cage with other trained killers whose objective is to take their head off

You're actually being serious, aren't you?

style wise McG is a big finisher and once he catches you if he doesn't knock you out, you're going on your arse at least, we can all admit that, 4 times in Diaz 2 and I lost count with alvarez, that's good fro him.
    Style wise Khabib has to get him down to work him but even saying that, alot of sup par fighters have weathered it and saw the bell even on their back for round after round. his last one was a good example of this, and mcgregor has a chin on him which we saw with a200lbs plus Diaz on him.

so much to ponder makes it a really good match, I'd say a bloody one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Apologies if posted before but this is really good (and entertaining) analysis from TheTrueGeordie.

what is it with you and the one liners, talk fighting will you or head over to personal issues, yes he's being serious, they're mentally tough as well as physically, have you ever had a scrap in a cage or boxing ring in your life?
    it toughens you up no end taking a few punches so YES, you;d expect these lads
    to be less rattled and not some chess club going to the Kasparov cup FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

...his last one was a good example of this, and mcgregor has a chin on him which we saw with a200lbs plus Diaz on him.

Ah here, Diaz will be bigger than Lesnar in the retelling of that fight soon at this rate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Will it be just Dana, Conor and Khabib for tomorrows presser again? why not a few other fighters as per usual......at least have Ferguson/Pettis up there, reckon McGregor would get more interaction off Ferguson on the stage than Khabib

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Ah here, Diaz will be bigger than Lesnar in the retelling of that fight soon at this rate :D

ah I know but still he's awkward as fook and draining on ye, not taking away from the drain ahead of you with khabib but still he has a good enough chin on him I think. even mendes though a smaller man laid a few into him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

ah I know but still he's awkward as fook and draining on ye, not taking away from the drain ahead of you with khabib but still he has a good enough chin on him I think. even mendes though a smaller man laid a few into him.

I do think he has a good chin, and definitely isn't afraid of taking a smack. Its funny, the way he fights in the stand-up is fearless, he doesn't blink when punches are millimetres from his nose as he counters, and he takes single shots really well.

But when he is constantly pressured its hard to deny that there is a definite shift, and his confidence and energy levels seem to drain away fairly quickly.

I'm hoping the fight is more Alvarez than Mended in the way it plays out, as I just don't see Khabib letting him off the hook like Mendes did if he has similar success with takedowns.

On the flipside, despite being a lot bigger than mendes, Khabib's a whole lot slower and less explosive too, so it's possible he won't find it as easy to close the distance as Mendes appeared to.

what is it with you and the one liners, talk fighting will you or head over to personal issues, yes he's being serious, they're mentally tough as well as physically, have you ever had a scrap in a cage or boxing ring in your life?
    it toughens you up no end taking a few punches so YES, you;d expect these lads
    to be less rattled and not some chess club going to the Kasparov cup FFS
    Tell you what, go and ask Namajunas, one of the best lb for lb fighters in the world what she thinks of the supposed characterization of her as a "trained killer" simply because she happens to make her living in the Octagon.

She's an athlete, a fighter. She's plenty tough enough. She doesn't need some mess sitting on a couch on the far side of the Atlantic telling her she should be tougher because of some outdated and misguided notion of what a fighter of, which most likely comes from a personal inferiority complex or insecurity about their own manhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Apologies if posted before but this is really good (and entertaining) analysis from TheTrueGeordie.

Jaysis that guy is an absolute clown. Can’t hack watching him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Tell you what, go and ask Namajunas, one of the best lb for lb fighters in the world what she thinks of the supposed characterization of her as a "trained killer" simply because she happens to make her living in the Octagon.

She's an athlete, a fighter. She's plenty tough enough. She doesn't need some mess sitting on a couch on the far side of the Atlantic telling her she should be tougher because of some outdated and misguided notion of what a fighter of, which most likely comes from a personal inferiority complex or insecurity about their own manhood.

aw come on now, had we a sneaky uncle touching up our manhood? I see you're getting through your ego vs superego vs Id videos anyway, you've answered my question, never had a run around a ring in your life there keyboard warrior. when you're finished fantasising over other posters mickeys, we'll be over talking sport ok, hankey!!! mister couldn't be less eager for beaver if you tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I see diaz weight size is brought up again, im sure when conor was fighting at fw he had huge size advantage himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

aw come on now, had we a sneaky uncle touching up our manhood? I see you're getting through your ego vs superego vs Id videos anyway, you've answered my question, never had a run around a ring in your life there keyboard warrior. when you're finished fantasising over other posters mickeys, we'll be over talking sport ok, hankey!!! mister couldn't be less eager for beaver if you tried.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dave1982 wrote: »
    I see diaz weight size is brought up again, im sure when conor was fighting at fw he had huge size advantage himself

Nate Diaz the 7 foot tall super heavyweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Iiiiiiiiiittttttttttt's time for episode 3.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGTzB8XMmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Iiiiiiiiiittttttttttt's time for episode 3.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGTzB8XMmcc
    Michelle Waterson's Irish accent sounds more Irish than mine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Top notch impressions from the karate hottie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    On the flipside, despite being a lot bigger than mendes, Khabib's a whole lot slower and less explosive too, so it's possible he won't find it as easy to close the distance as Mendes appeared to.

I agree and think Khabibs lack of speed is a big weakness vs. McGregors ability to dance in and out. He won’t get near McGregor’s leg quick enough to grab it is my prediction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement