Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Conor fan and im very dissapointed in his attitude tbh

All this talk about mma growing in ireland etc , that will all stop

I genuinely think he is afraid

Or as he said about aldo " he has a kid and that changes everything in ur head "

This notion that he's afraid is complete an utter bollox tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Completely agree that anyone that thinks McGregor is scared is out of their mind. We've already seen his levels of delusion with the Mayweather fight. Why would he be afraid of any fighter in a sport he's actually world class in? I just wonder if he'll regret wasting his peak years ****ing about, talking about how rich he is when he could be cementing his legacy. You just can't get those years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Have timed my alarm spectacularly. MacDonald-Lima coming up next. If it's lengthy, will be perfect timing for switching over for the LHW title fight.

Could not give a flying one about Sonnen-Rampage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Have timed my alarm spectacularly. MacDonald-Lima coming up next. If it's lengthy, will be perfect timing for switching over for the LHW title fight.

Could not give a flying one about Sonnen-Rampage.

It's only three rounds so should be well done before DC makes his run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Genuinely have zero interest in it. Might go for a **** or something instead. A forty year old middleweight pumped full of everything against a 40 year old fat light heavyweight in a heavyweight fight, to maybe get a crack at the ghost of the GOAT? Not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Ok leaving McGregor out of the equation ...he beats Ferguson then goes swanning off to 145 .....that's 3 months preparation minimum plus fight date, where's Tony's rematch? he's left hanging ......you're looking at 9 months before another 155 fight in that case .......plus there's no way in hell Khabib fights more than twice in a year......which belt does he defend first while holding the other up?

Tony’s rematch? When was Aldo’s/Alvarez’s rematches? Did I miss them??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tony’s rematch? When was Aldo’s/Alvarez’s rematches? Did I miss them??
    Eddie was conclusively beaten over two rounds, no need for rematch.
    Aldo fight was obviously abrupt, and maybe there's a case that he deserved a full length fight. But there's no way he should have been fighting 3 mo the later after that KO.

Also seems a bit of for guys to be talking about Tony's rematch at the point. At least let him lose first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Mellor wrote: »
    Aldo fight was obviously abrupt, and maybe there's a case that he deserved a full length fight. But there's no way he should have been fighting 3 mo the later after that KO.

Also seems a bit of for guys to be talking about Tony's rematch at the point. At least let him lose first

But Conor had that belt a lot longer than 3 months... And he was practically handed a shot at the LW title..he certainly did not earn it nor deserve it...he beat nobody at LW and was mauled by Disc Diaz's once and scraped the second fight at 170..hardly an earned shot...more marketing by the UFC

Come to think of it Conor has had 4 belts and never defended once...very smart brand protection and a great marketing ploy to gain the title of champion yet never have to engage in the actual actions of a champion

But let's be realistic about it...for actual MMA fans (not Conor fanboys) it practically nullifies his title of champion.

It's one thing not to defend based on injury...it's a total other to just avoid and ignore champion duties

My dislike for Conor McGregor has continued to increase from the day he beat Jose Aldo... because he's had a sense of entitlement ever since that is somewhat unwarranted... respect Conor and how he's helped the sport... but he's doing more bad than good lately imo

As Tony often said.... defend or vacate... and it's a bad state of affairs when the UFC have to step in twice to strip somebody due to inactivity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Seems logical...certainly more so than Khabib going for 2 belts just to stick 2 fingers up at the Dirty Dub....

and I'm being cringy ....keep patting each other on the back with your 'thanks' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

pone2012 wrote: »
    But Conor had that belt a lot longer than 3 months... And he was practically handed a shot at the LW title..he certainly did not earn it nor deserve it...he beat nobody at LW and was mauled by Disc Diaz's once and scraped the second fight at 170..hardly an earned shot...more marketing by the UFC

Come to think of it Conor has had 4 belts and never defended once...very smart brand protection and a great marketing ploy to gain the title of champion yet never have to engage in the actual actions of a champion

But let's be realistic about it...for actual MMA fans (not Conor fanboys) it practically nullifies his title of champion.

It's one thing not to defend based on injury...it's a total other to just avoid and ignore champion duties

My dislike for Conor McGregor has continued to increase from the day he beat Jose Aldo... because he's had a sense of entitlement ever since that is somewhat unwarranted... respect Conor and how he's helped the sport... but he's doing more bad than good lately imo

As Tony often said.... defend or vacate... and it's a bad state of affairs when the UFC have to step in twice to strip somebody due to inactivity

aint that the truth. he said many a time that he would be an active champion not like everyone else on the roster but we all seen how truthful that was:rolleyes:

strip conor make tony the undisputed champ let khabib fight for the title no grey area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

just noticed on the ufc website that there is no headline fight for the london event on paddys day.

dana is hardly hoping for conor to fight that night before the tony/khabib fight but dont know who he would fight unless a 3rd diaz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    just noticed on the ufc website that there is no headline fight for the london event on paddys day.

dana is hardly hoping for conor to fight that night before the tony/khabib fight but dont know who he would fight unless a 3rd diaz fight.

Bisping guaranteed headline I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zero chance Conor will be on that London card

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Conor on a fight night card? Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

rob316 wrote: »
    Conor on a fight night card? Hilarious

Conor on any card is looking hilarious at the moment...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Conor on any card is looking hilarious at the moment...

il_fullxfull.1368306005_rrd3.jpg

Is there any chance that McGregor is actually carrying an injury and just not disclosing it. Any images from insta that I've seen lately is of him rolling. Perhaps something is holding him back in doing any striking.
    We know that he's hidden injuries in the past.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is there any chance that McGregor is actually carrying an injury and just not disclosing it. Any images from insta that I've seen lately is of him rolling. Perhaps something is holding him back in doing any striking.
    We know that he's hidden injuries in the past.
    Extremely slim tbh.
    He's hidden injuries during camp/fight week for obvious reasons. Can't think why he'd keep quiet now as if he was actually injured in justifies this whole nonsense.

He had striking pics up this week on in Insta this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There’s literally more chance of one of us on this forum fighting on the London card than Conor.

Artem is supposedly on it against Caceres, so he’ll probably turn up and cause havoc for half an hour again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Paully D wrote: »
    There’s literally more chance of one of us on this forum fighting on the London card than Conor.

Artem is supposedly on it against Caceres, so he’ll probably turn up and cause havoc for half an hour again.

Gotta keep himself "relevant".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I will consider the winner of Khabib vs Ferguson to be the true champ no matter what way the UFC spins it. It kind of saddens me to say that but if McGregor won't fight then what can you do? I know he's probably being low-balled by the UFC but that's all behind the scenes stuff - from a fan's point of view the LW 'champ' won't fight any of the top contenders. His last fight wasn't even in MMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Yeah the winner of Tony v Khabib is the real champ. Every real fan and fighter knows that this is for the true title, whether they call it so or not. Conor is a novelty at this stage. Fighting once in nearly two years as the "champ" is f***ing ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Yeah Lineal does me something - the man who beat the man who beat the man.

but in the same way Whittaker Vs Romero was the fight against the two best MWs at that period, Khabib and Tony is the same.

The way McGregor outclassed Eddie was fantastic. And despite Nates borderline journeyman MMA record to come back and amend his errors is a very good win against a top end LW. But Tony and Khabib have been delviering at 155 for years now and they're the top fighters.

It would be hilarious if Khabib refused to fight Conor if he wins. Demands he earns his shot and proves he can turn up.

Yeah Lineal does me something - the man who beat the man who beat the man.

but in the same way Whittaker Vs Romero was the fight against the two best MWs at that period, Khabib and Tony is the same.

Conor is not just the lineal though. He is the current LW champion.
    The MW situation differs because Whitaker was promoted from Interim to Champion in december.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tanjee83

Hmmmm...... so it's more confusing with Dana not specifying what is going on. Anyone else think the UFC will implement multiple champs in a division to then create a super title? Or have lineal champs, like in boxing?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeUKqYtH-uL/
    Sick of sitting around waiting for you ****ers to do **** there's no excitement in this fight **** step your games up I'll see u around may,June.
    Sincerely The Real Champ 🖕🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It would be hilarious if Khabib refused to fight Conor if he wins. Demands he earns his shot and proves he can turn up.

Khabib will do what he’s told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

May/Jun would line up with 225 timings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tanjee83 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the UFC will implement multiple champs in a division to then create a super title? Or have lineal champs, like in boxing?

No, can't see this happening. The possible reasons I see the UFC being so ambiguous about the belt:

A - They need to maintain Conor's official status as LW champ for as long as possible, for promotional/other reasons, before UFC 223.
    B - Conor could be looking to come back sooner than September, and is still in negotiations with the UFC. They want to keep him champ in case Tony or Khabib pulls out. Or worse, they'll do Conor vs Nate for the belt on the same card or in may/june. Though that wouldn't be so bad if he was stripped before that, leaving Khabib/Tony the undisputed champ.
    C - UFC aren't going to strip him at all. I find this unlikely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement