Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What did he say, McGregor's grandfather fought in the British Navy and killed Irish people?

Seems he's been busy on Google trying to find some dirt on the McGregor clan :P

Conor Jnr after a new 25lbs division.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Conor Jnr after a new 25lbs division.

Some load of HORSE ****E.........................................................................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

No sign of a foot injury here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Okay Conor I'm sold, where do I pay?

• Advertisement

sutmm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

darced wrote: »
    Tony Ferguson, I love it. How did I not know until today he was this wacky? Should be a big star.

Plus he is absolute magic to watch in the octagon, like poetry. It hurts my heart to think of the rotten bad luck he had getting such an injury at that moment in time--and yet he is BACK in fighting form, total inspiration is the man.
    I am as excited about seeing him as well as the main, what a treat we are in for this weekend!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Clip from last night's Conan (another two here).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,390 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just watched Embedded Ep.2. Am I the only one that got pissed off watching Tony Ferguson balance on a swissball? He's pulled from so many fights because of injury and he's balancing on a rubberball four days out from the fight?

Not saying whether it's wise to be doind it a few days out from a right. But stability training like that is pretty crui
    mangobob wrote: »
    Trained killers who make a living by getting locked in a cage with other trained killers whose objective is to take their head off, choke them into unconsciousness or smash them into bloody insensibility
    Trained killers?
    You need stop smoking up that crystal hollywood.
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Did Danis say he believes he is a bigger and better version than Khabib...what?
    I assume he refers to grappling only, not MMA.
    I'm sure his butt scooting is a lot better than Khabib in fairness.
    Who do you think would wins in an grappling match between the two? ADCC rules. Serious question, as I know you rate the death squad highly. Khabib has trained at Renzos etc. Danis fount to a draw with Gordon - which was more impressive than beating AJ.

Khabib, for me, is the best grappler in MMA. I'd love to see Khabib in ADCC tbh. Maia has better jiujitsu, but when he grapples he does jiu jitsu. There are better wrestlers too. Askren. But when he grapples he wrestles. Khabib flows constantly between grappling and striking on the ground much more fluidly than any one else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He says the proper 12 on the canvas was a calculated move , khabib will be standing on it in his corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »

Who do you think would wins in an grappling match between the two? ADCC rules. Serious question, as I know you rate the death squad highly. Khabib has trained at Renzos etc. Danis fount to a draw with Gordon - which was more impressive than beating AJ.

Khabib, for me, is the best grappler in MMA. I'd love to see Khabib in ADCC tbh. Maia has better jiujitsu, but when he grapples he does jiu jitsu. There are better wrestlers too. Askren. But when he grapples he wrestles. Khabib flows constantly between grappling and striking on the ground much more fluidly than any one else.

I dunno tbh I think under adcc rules Dani's probably just pulls guard and rolls for a leg lock eventually. It really depend on how much Khabib has worked defending that type of grappling. It's a danis sub or points win though. Unless khabib f*cking powerbombs him and manages to stay on top or something. Their specialties are very different. Khabib clearly has submissions in his arsenal being a two time sambo world champion and a judo black belt but I don't see that being enough to dominate the elite tier bjj players like the Danis' or Ryan's or Lepri's at their own game. They train specific for these rulesets almost exclusively, he'd be adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Khabib is some troll going onto fans at open work out, why dont you speak irish haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

dave1982 wrote: »
    Khabib is some troll going onto fans at open work out, why dont you speak irish haha

Ye he’s actually doing quite well in promoting the fight when compared to Eddie etc. His schtick is certainly better than “Santa Claus ain’t real people”.

Dana saying this is projecting to do 3m ppv’s. You’d imagine the metrics they use to measure this stuff are fairly accurate or has he been known to over state ppv buys before and way off? I can’t recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dana overstates EVERYTHING!

I'd be impressed if it beat the 1.65m of the second Diaz fight, never mind 2m or 3m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ye he’s actually doing quite well in promoting the fight when compared to Eddie etc. His schtick is certainly better than “Santa Claus ain’t real people”.

Dana saying this is projecting to do 3m ppv’s. You’d imagine the metrics they use to measure this stuff are fairly accurate or has he been known to over state ppv buys before and way off? I can’t recall.
    He is a very consistent liar and he's just hyping the ppv. There are people who will hear him say that and buy the ppv because of FOMO.

DabwOKRWkAANq3N.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,390 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I dunno tbh I think under adcc rules Dani's probably just pulls guard and rolls for a leg lock eventually. It really depend on how much Khabib has worked defending that type of grappling. It's a danis sub or points win though. Unless khabib f*cking powerbombs him and manages to stay on top or something. Their specialties are very different. Khabib clearly has submissions in his arsenal being a two time sambo world champion and a judo black belt but I don't see that being enough to dominate the elite tier bjj players like the Danis' or Ryan's or Lepri's at their own game. They train specific for these rulesets almost exclusively, he'd be adjusting.
    I think that's a fair rundown. I'd love to see him give it a go. He's undersized for the 88kgs with Danis and Ryan. Prob goes in the 77's with Tonon, Lepri.

I know Khabib as submissions, his early wins were often triangles. But there would be plenty of judo black belts who wouldn't have many subs in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

cliggg wrote: »
    He is a very consistent liar and he's just hyping the ppv. There are people who will hear him say that and buy the ppv because of FOMO.
    Though that being said it's a virtual certainty that after this weekend that the top 5 selling UFC PPV's of all time will be ones headlined by McGregor. Whether you love or hate Conor that is an absolutely amazing achievement for anybody in this sport. I was born and raised in Bawnogue which is a similar area to Crumlin and only a 5 minute drive away and to go from there to where he is now is almost unthinkable really.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think that's a fair rundown. I'd love to see him give it a go. He's undersized for the 88kgs with Danis and Ryan. Prob goes in the 77's with Tonon, Lepri.

I know Khabib as submissions, his early wins were often triangles. But there would be plenty of judo black belts who wouldn't have many subs in the bag.

Ah yeah some schools of judo these days focus very little on ground work as the ippon is God.
    I was more thinking the sambo side for subs, from what I know of Sambo there's a huge focus on leg attacks to the point of Sambo and to a lesser extent catch wrestling being where Danagher got the inspiration for his leg attack system originally.

I think he'd do really well at ADCC but wouldn't win. It could be fun to watch The fact that you can slam in adcc might even mean you see someone getting wrecked because they refused to let go of something and khabib takes them for a ride.

In an MMA fight at 170 he'd slap Danis silly though. It's a different beast.

DabwOKRWkAANq3N.jpg

I’m well aware of Dana’s relationship with fact. However, has he a history of saying a ppv is trending towards x figure and being way off? I have heard him give trend figures before but can’t recall if actusls ever turned out to be close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

DabwOKRWkAANq3N.jpg

I’m well aware of Dana’s relationship with fact. However, has he a history of saying a ppv is trending towards x figure and being way off? I have heard him give trend figures before but can’t recall if actusls ever turned out to be close.

Absolutely he does. May-Mac and 205 being prominent examples.

has he a history of saying a ppv is trending towards x figure and being way off?

Yes. Yes he does.

Yes. Yes he does.

Fair enough, I know he was saying MayMac was going to beat MayPac but he wasn’t a million miles off there and it wasn’t his show.

Any other examples where he was way off? To be fair I can’t see this doing even 2 million myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Khabib to retire after the fight. Find that hard to believe.

The Nal wrote: »
    Khabib to retire after the fight. Find that hard to believe.

Josh Thompson blowing smoke up Schaubs arse and Schaub running with it most likely.

I do think he'll retire before he hits his mid 30s but not before defending a few times and maybe having a crack at 170 or even 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Josh Thompson blowing smoke up Schaubs arse and Schaub running with it most likely.

I do think he'll retire before he hits his mid 30s but not before defending a few times and maybe having a crack at 170 or even 145.

he barely makes 155, how is he going to get to 145!? The 170 thing would be interesting, if he could get close enough to wrestle Tyron he could do well, but he'd probably get lit up on the feet by Tyron before he closed range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

There's no way Khabib would make 145, can't even see him considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Surely he’d never go down to 145 given he has previously missed weight at 155? Isn’t it harder to cut weight as you get older anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Cutting to 145 might be in the realms of possibility. He seems to have his diet in check the last couple fights. He would just have a lose a good chunk of muscle over a while. Though personally I don't see it happening, I think he was just throwing it out there. Can definitely see him trying 170.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement