Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Hahaha the state of this. Fighter poses with raised hands. "He copied Díaz!"

Hahaha. Its true tho. Not raised hands, 1 arm sticking out straight. He never posed anything like that in any other fight, I remember mcgregor saying something about diazs hand in his face in the embedded afterwards. Ali probably told him to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

First off, I cant wait for tonights fight. Always wanted to see these two fight. Both great fighters. The irish in me wants to see McGregor win. But part of me wants to see Khabib smash him into the canvas.

My question is, all this talk of "the biggest event in UFC history". Mainly from the UFC. Is it really? I just dont feel it . There have been many huge rivalries and massive fights down through the years that generated a real buzz. I felt the hype around McGregor Aldo and some of McGregors other fights was bigger. I know there was world tours and more promotion for some of these so that could be part of it. Maybe all the rivalry and hatred seems a bit contrived this time aroud. Or maybe I'm just getting old and jaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Christ I wish that kick, McG threw, had cracked Dana in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

spix wrote: »
    Hahaha the state of this. Fighter poses with raised hands. "He copied Díaz!"

Hahaha. Its true tho. Not raised hands, 1 arm sticking out straight. He never posed anything like that in any other fight, I remember mcgregor saying something about diazs hand in his face in the embedded afterwards. Ali probably told him to do it.
    Spike O'Sullivan did that pose a few weeks ago too. I suppose he was copying Diaz as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Mellor wrote: »
    It's also absurd to declare that only the ones you find funny are a actually funny. That only your opinion is correct and the rest of the world are wrong.

As ever you've misrepresented what was actually said.

I simply asked why people liked him, his persona, his 'style' if you like, not the comedy. There may be something that I don't see, as I'm not an MMA fan.

I'll sidestep your condescension and agree that yes, there are many hundreds of successful comedians who I do not find funny. But Rogan is far more famous for his pidcast than his comedy, of which I know SFA.

• Advertisement

Spike O'Sullivan did that pose a few weeks ago too. I suppose he was copying Diaz as well.

Did he do it against mcgregor and is it something he never done before?

spix wrote: »

Did he do it against mcgregor and is it something he never done before?

Ah ok. I see how it works now. McGregor threw a front kick, so I guess he was imitating Silva. Or maybe Machida. Absolute waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

The Diaz pose khabib did pissed conor right off, at first it was like conor said come on pull your hand back and then he hit khabibs hands down just like what he did to diaz,
    Conor looked the worst there I think.
    As someone else previously said Khabib is from a very dark part of the world. This is chicken feed to him. Excuse the pun conor

Ah ok. I see how it works now. McGregor threw a front kick, so I guess he was imitating Silva. Or maybe Machida. Absolute waffle.

Your argument makes zero sense, talking about face off pose here, not attacks used in a fight. Conor has thrown a kick at weigh in before btw. Khabib has never done that and its something people think got to mcgregor when diaz done it. You don't need to be a genius to come to the conclusion he was copying diaz. He even kept the pose after he backed up when mcgregor hit his hands. Muscle memory...was probably practicing it all week long.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

https://youtu.be/Gstcj_bn-gc
    Conor loses face off territorial battle.
    Same as khabib face off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1048375613453750274

Khabib shaking in his boots...no, no he isn't.

He's not shaking but he's different than normal.....look back at his other face offs he gets in peoples faces sometimes it's him doing the shoving ......he has kept his distance in both face offs with McGregor

Macdarack wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Gstcj_bn-gc
    Conor loses face off territorial battle.
    Same as khabib face off.

It's ridiculous that McG can pretty much do whatever he wants zero repercussions. Sh1t talking is one thing but actually hitting another fighter during face-offs is way over board.

This is me having a go at the UFC/Dana, McG gets rewarded for this crap so of course he is going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    He's not shaking but he's different than normal.....look back at his other face offs he gets in peoples faces sometimes it's him doing the shoving ......he has kept his distance in both face offs with McGregor

Probably 5 million on the line for khabib. He doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize that payday. I can't imagine how far 5 million would go in Dagastan.

Given all the chat about Proper Twelve being an official sponsor and on the canvas etc, I've yet to it on any of the official branding along with any other sponsors. What odds it was all bull****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

icanmunch wrote: »
    Nice one , where did you get those odds?

Ladbrokes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JJayoo wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that McG can pretty much do whatever he wants zero repercussions. Sh1t talking is one thing but actually hitting another fighter during face-offs is way over board.

This is me having a go at the UFC/Dana, McG gets rewarded for this crap so of course he is going to do it.

He threw the kick knowing full well it wouldn't get anywhere near Khabib.

The handbags between Lewis and Volkov was worse.

He threw the kick knowing full well it wouldn't get anywhere near Khabib.

The handbags between Lewis and Volkov was worse.

He punched Diaz full force in the hand and he hit khabibs hand full force, your hand is kinda important in a fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor's whiskey is Bushmills. It's basically white bush with cheap IDL grain whiskey added to it.

That's at least the 3rd different version of the blend I've seen posted here. Where are yous getting this from?

White Bush already has IDL grain in it btw.

Edit: Genuinely curious btw. Bushmills are pretty open with their blends. Wonder if they'd ever share this one. It's not like they hid that they distilled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Given all the chat about Proper Twelve being an official sponsor and on the canvas etc, I've yet to it on any of the official branding along with any other sponsors. What odds it was all bull****?

Dana confirmed it will be on the mat for all of McGregors fights going forward.

He punched Diaz full force in the hand and he hit khabibs hand full force, your hand is kinda important in a fight...

Hitting Diaz's hand with a clenched fist should have had a hefty sanction.

His hands were open last night. A double handed slap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Bad omen the last time he did that he got choked out.

Dana confirmed it will be on the mat for all of McGregors fights going forward.

Yes but Dana tells lots of lies. If it was a fight sponsor, you'd expect to see it as part of the backdrop at weigh-in/press conference etc. I'm not saying it isn't, but it's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I’ve doubted Conor before I can’t doubt him now. Jack slack’s analysis is good and compares khabib’s approach to Rhonda. I see conor doing a holly holm initially and then grinding out the win.

Proper 12 hasn’t been well received by whisky critics, it’s a shot mixer whisky that sounds not dissimilar to red bush. Personally i’d buy a bottle of green spot or redbreast 12 and stick a picture of conor on it before buying what sounds like pish. If he wants to build s brand he should be more concerned about quality and also the art on the bottle. This sounds like a one purchase bottle and that his target market will return to Jameson’s tullamore etc after trying this. It’ll do fuuucking nothing but damage Irish whisky as an industry by showcasing poor quality spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

If it was a fight sponsor, you'd expect to see it as part of the backdrop at weigh-in/press conference etc. I'm not saying it isn't, but it's interesting.

More like UFC is sponsoring Proper 12, the deal spoke about alluded to free advertising essentially unless I've got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It’s probably just one of those sponsorship deals like the movies that you often see on the canvas on fight night, but never on the backdrops of press conferences etc.

It’s going to be on the canvas, in Khabib’s corner, tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Rogan is an idiots idea of a smart person because 'he questions stuff'.

His career is fascinating. He's not particularly funny yet has made a hugely career based from his stand up.

He can't act yet was part of a very successful sitcom.

He's never had a professional fight* and yet hes the premier colour commentator for the main MMA promotion.

He's excellent on his podcast at getting a conversation going. He's really quite skilled there. There are criticisms for who he gives his platform too and I don't recall once him being sharp (imagine Rogan on a panel show).

He must be a really nice guy though, seems very respected in all corners.

* this is a personal bug bear. I'm aware his BJJ belts are legit but all the same, I feel the man describing the emotions and intricacies of a fight should have more hands on experience than 3 ammy kick boxing bouts and local TKD tourneys (this national champ thing is a myth, hyped up).

The discussion about Joe Rogan as comedian at least makes for a welcome break from deciding who has won the fight because Khabib blinked an odd/even number of times in some arbitrary time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

McGregor looks in awesome shape. 155 seems to suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Personally i’d buy a bottle of green spot or redbreast ...
    They're two of my favourites Irish whiskeys. But hardly a fair comparison. They're single pot still at about twice the price.
    Proper 12 is competing with the likes of cask mates, distillers series, and other "premium but not really premium whiskeys".

I tried Red Bush a while ago at the distillery. It's tastes like they going after the bourbon market with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

https://youtu.be/q85AtheYnDA

A no dolly promo.

I'm excited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement