Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

ardinn wrote: »

FYP

Or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the following. I think the timelines would work nicely too.

Khabib v Ferguson
    Holloway v Winner of Diaz/Poirier
    McGregor v Loser of Diaz/Poirier

Would McGregor accept a non title fight?
    Any word of a rematch in the contract? So many uncertainties to be solved by the UFC and the police next week.

Surely even conor knows he needs to earn it his next title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Mcgregor looked so slow compared to past fights. Maybe it was the lactic acid from all the defensive wrestling (which he showed a big improvement on) or something else. but he did not look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

SteM wrote: »
    Can't believe that they would ever hold a Khabib fight in Russia after what happened last night. What would they have to gain from it that they couldn't achive in the states?

Sold out Olympic stadium in Moscow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mcgregor looked so slow compared to past fights. Maybe it was the lactic acid from all the defensive wrestling (which he showed a big improvement on) or something else. but he did not look the same.

It's tough to say. I'm sure Kav or Roddy know the real answer. Could very well be that Khabib robbed his energy stored early on that stopped McGregor having the dominance in the first 2 rounds that he usually has, as well as his speed and power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

RoryMac wrote: »
    It's a bit like Tyson's baddest man on the planet thing in boxing, it worked when he was in his prime and guys were afraid of him because he was on top of his game. Once his skills began to wane it was just gimmick that worked against mentally weak fighters, other top guys saw through it and weren't intimidated by it.

With McGregor guys are seeing weaknesses now and aren't intimidated, they know if they stick to the plan he can be beaten. He's going to have to up his game or pick his fights very carefully if he wants to continue

I don't think that's the case. I think nearly all his opponents to date fancied themselves to beat him and got a rude awakening when they took a few digs. Khabib, too fancied himself to beat him, and, well, he was right to!

I think the same thing is true after last night as it has always been. McGregor is an unbelievable frontrunner, but when he is put under pressure and faces adversity, he doesn't have that "**** it" mentality you see from some fighters like Ferguson or Edgar who seem to get stronger in the toughest situations.

I was actually surprised at how well he hung in there last night, there was plenty of opportunities to give it up in the second round but he dug in and tried to make something happen. He went up in my estimation in that regard, in defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

RoryMac wrote: »
    It's a bit like Tyson's baddest man on the planet thing in boxing, it worked when he was in his prime and guys were afraid of him because he was on top of his game. Once his skills began to wane it was just gimmick that worked against mentally weak fighters, other top guys saw through it and weren't intimidated by it.

With McGregor guys are seeing weaknesses now and aren't intimidated, they know if they stick to the plan he can be beaten. He's going to have to up his game or pick his fights very carefully if he wants to continue

Conor got lazy after the Mayweather fight and the game passed him by. You can't go on nightly booze ups and whatever else he did, not train the entire time and expect to come back and rule the place. The fighters didn't stop training just because he did. He thought he could coast on his reputation and gimmick and he paid dearly for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Conor needs new coaches that will actually help him improve, his current coaches are content with just being cheerleaders even when they know he's not at his best.

spix wrote: »
    Conor needs new coaches that will actually help him improve, his current coaches are content with just being cheerleaders even when they know he's not at his best.

He fell into the same trap that BJ Penn and Ronda Rousey fell in. Surrounded by nothing but Yes-Men and enablers and believed their own hype and thought they didn't have to work hard anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's tough to say. I'm sure Kav or Roddy know the real answer. Could very well be that Khabib robbed his energy stored early on that stopped McGregor having the dominance in the first 2 rounds that he usually has, as well as his speed and power.

As all of mcgreggor fans pointed out in the build up the fight started on the feet. He wasn't dominant at all when he was on his feet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

spix wrote: »

Can any of you just accept that maybe mcgregor is not actually that good? Yes, he can pick off opponents rushing in in the early rounds. But when it descends into the nitty gritty stuff, he's just not that good. He wouldn't stand a chance against someone like ferguson, or even pettis imo. No engine and he just burns out after 2 rounds. Maybe he should drop back to the little guys in 145 where he had success. 155 is a step too far for him.

Wailin wrote: »
    Can any of you just accept that maybe mcgregor is not actually that good? Yes, he can pick off opponents rushing in in the early rounds. But when it descends into the nitty gritty stuff, he's just not that good. He wouldn't stand a chance against someone like ferguson, or even pettis imo. No engine and he just burns out after 2 rounds. Maybe he should drop back to the little guys in 145 where he had success. 155 is a step too far for him.

He's good, but not as good as he was built up to be [aka He's the Elite of the Elite]. Its pretty obvious that he was protected his entire career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Enjoy these last few posts about an Irish lad in the ufc.

Will never happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

He can be better than he was in that fight. I could tell in the first few seconds he wasn't his usual self. He didn't show the same confidence with his movement/punches as he did in all his previous fights in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

JJayoo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/rZhduV6cRZ8

Don't feck with the Russians

Idiots, look at the numbers they had and they let 1 drunken fool get sucker punched ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I think that's swinging things back too far the other way. He's still a fantastic fighter. Khabib is an unbelievable fighter, with the worst possible skill set for him. Pettis on the other hand is tailor made for him.

Even Ferguson wouldn't necessarily have the wrestling required to nullify McGregors striking, though he may well have the chin to outlast him.

While McGregor definitely isn't as good as his biggest fanboys believed him to be, he's still a lot better than many of his detractors believe him to be. Last night didn't change that fact, though it did show that Khabib was every bit as good as he appeared to be when dominating less than elite fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He fell into the same trap that BJ Penn and Ronda Rousey fell in. Surrounded by nothing but Yes-Men and enablers and believed their own hype and thought they didn't have to work hard anymore.

They're getting paid well, why would they care.

Kavanagh will cut ties with Mcgregor once it's not financially worth his while. Don't think Kavanagh has much time for him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

If we are all frank and honest. It goes from the ground up. Jk and Rod arent as good as people would like you to know. They have believed their own hype for far too long while trying to monopolise MMA in ireland.

Look at fighters who got caught on the train:
    James Gallagher
    Richie Kiely
    Cian Cowley
    Cathal pendred

Really talented lads but got caught in the hype of what Jk was selling and didnt work for them. I think new coaching is needed personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Idiots, look at the numbers they had and they let 1 drunken fool get sucker punched ffs

Might have been the most embarrassing episode of the entire night. The lets sing ole ole louder response to it in particular had me squirming. Drunkin fools making a disgrace of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Commanchie wrote: »
    If we are all frank and honest. It goes from the ground up. Jk and Rod arent as good as people would like you to know. They have believed their own hype for far too long while trying to monopolise MMA in ireland.

Look at fighters who got caught on the train:
    James Gallagher
    Richie Kiely
    Cian Cowley
    Cathal pendred

Really talented lads but got caught in the hype of what Jk was selling and didnt work for them. I think new coaching is needed personally.

So make this new coach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I did hear a little rumour about 4 weeks ago of alot of staf infection around the sbg gym.

Possibly the reason, possibly just a rumour.....

Not started by me I might add. Just something I heard from a guy that trains there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He's good, but not as good as he was built up to be [aka He's the Elite of the Elite]. Its pretty obvious that he was protected his entire career.

Quality nonsense.

Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,209 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mdwexford wrote: »
    Quality nonsense.

Good job.

Quality rebuttal.

Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did hear a little rumour about 4 weeks ago of alot of staf infection around the sbg gym.

Possibly the reason, possibly just a rumour.....

Not started by me I might add. Just something I heard from a guy that trains there.

I train there and I haven't seen or heard anything. The mats up there are kept spotless

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

walshb wrote: »
    Quality rebuttal.

Good job.

Why don't you toddle off back to the boxing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,209 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing about Conor’s family for this big fight...

Very much under the radar. Were they “involved” in any of the build up? Were they even there watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I train there and I haven't seen or heard anything. The mats up there are kept spotless

Then what i heard is probably bull****.

I know a guy that trains there and I see him through work.

In passing I asked who he had for the fight. His reply was "there's alot of staf infection going the gym, that's all I'm saying".

That's all he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Very much under the radar. Were they “involved” in any of the build up? Were they even there watching?

What do you mean nothing about his family, what would you expect to hear/see from his family? Yes they were in attendance last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

They went over a few days before the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was expecting Khabib to beat Conor, but I wasn't expect Conor to struggle like he did.

Whatever he has been doing for the past 2 years has to stop, the rest of the 155ers will have big smiles on their faces this morning, chink in the armour is probably an understatement.

John and Owen said that the focus on boxing will show up in his striking, it was nowhere to be seen. And seeing him get rocked like that as well...

The crap after the fight has no place in any sport, at all. I don't care who caused what and you could get into a pissing competition all you want, doesn't negate that it happened when it shouldn't have.

As for what's next? I'd fancy Conor vs Kevin Lee, that's a tasty one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement