Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Reckon he retires.

What’s left for him to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Reckon he retires.

What’s left for him to do.

Defend a belt

Defend a belt

He has none:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Idiots, look at the numbers they had and they let 1 drunken fool get sucker punched ffs

Pussies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭pgj2015

dave1982 wrote: »

jesus, you would see more craic at a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Defend a belt

Seen someone carrying two belts to the ring behind him.
    Will last night put an end to That carry on now?

Should do, there was 3 of the same belt going around the weekend

Might have been the most embarrassing episode of the entire night. The lets sing ole ole louder response to it in particular had me squirming. Drunkin fools making a disgrace of us.

Apparently we've no reason to be embarrased by that. I was fu*king cringing. Bunch of owlwans standing around.

The fighting irish... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

dave1982 wrote: »
    He has none:D

Last time I checked he battered the current 145 champ, even on one leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

thebull85 wrote: »
    Apparently we've no reason to be embarrased by that. I was fu*king cringing. Bunch of owlwans standing around.

The fighting irish... lol

Standing around like fools, fight or **** off home

Last time I checked he battered the current 145 champ, even on one leg

Last time I checked he hasn't had that belt in just under 3 years and didn't defend the belt lost it and doesn't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Is he the only one who parades belts? Ferguson has 1 last week....Jon Jones brought one on stage to face DC after a drugs ban???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Is he the only one who parades belts? Ferguson has 1 last week....Jon Jones brought one on stage to face DC after a drugs ban???

It seems that the rule of thumb for this sort of chip on the shoulder carry-on is you can carry a belt if you were stripped but didn't subsequently lose a fight in that division.

So....in future Conor can still carry around his 145lb belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He's good, but not as good as he was built up to be [aka He's the Elite of the Elite]. Its pretty obvious that he was protected his entire career.

Protected from who ?

Holloway?
    Aldo ?
    Alvarez ?

He was well beaten last night but that’s nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Commanchie wrote: »
    If we are all frank and honest. It goes from the ground up. Jk and Rod arent as good as people would like you to know. They have believed their own hype for far too long while trying to monopolise MMA in ireland.

Look at fighters who got caught on the train:
    James Gallagher
    Richie Kiely
    Cian Cowley
    Cathal pendred

Really talented lads but got caught in the hype of what Jk was selling and didnt work for them. I think new coaching is needed personally.

Lol none of those guys are talented they got into the ufc or bellator on Conor's name alone.
    You can't blame John Kavanagh for that bunch they just aren't very good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just looking at Khabibs wikipedia page. His bio notes Abubakar Nurmagomedov (cousin) and
    Shamil Zavurov (second cousin) as notable relatives. Whats hilarious though are the 'Other Names' listed for these fellas:

Abubakar Nurmagomedov
    Dagestani Gangster

Shamil Zavurov
    The Champion
    Lion of Dagestan
    The Fan of GSP

Cyrus wrote: »
    Protected from who ?

Holloway?
    Aldo ?
    Alvarez ?

In fairness those are all good match ups for Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Conor was beaten fair and square last night, but to now start saying he was protected throughout his career and isn’t actually all that good on the back of last night’s defeat is just silly.

When all is said and done, Conor’s list of wins and opponents will stand up there against the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Cyrus wrote: »
    Protected from who ?

Holloway?
    Aldo ?
    Alvarez ?

That was 20 year old Max, and let's be fair Alvarez is a bruiser who was tailor made for Conor. Conor doesn't beat any of the other top lightweights.
    The win against prime Aldo was good, but it was more Conor mind games than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Asus X540L wrote: »
    That was 20 year old Max, and let's be fair Alvarez is a bruiser who was tailor made for Conor. Conor doesn't beat any of the other top lightweights.
    The win against prime Aldo was good, but it was more Conor mind games than anything else.

Wouldn't beat any of the other top lightweights, are you on a wind up?

Dustin Poirier is in the top 3 lightweights and mcgregor starched him.

But I suppose that's a good match up again.

Holloway, the 145lb champ, who can't make weight it seems. Mcgregor win every second of every round against him.

There's some right begrudging dopes around here.

Conor lost fair and square last night, no doubt about that. But saying he hasn't beaten anyone in that division is utter rubbish.

Pity he lost but tbf khabib is a beast, i dont see anyone taking the belt off him besides Dana for a long time. When conor lost to nate he showed heart it just wasnt there last but tbf he didnt give up his back on first opertunity. I cant get behind him on this lost he completely under estimated khabib zero respect for him just thought he could walk through him. Kavaugh told him to stop walking him down but ego got the better of him. Would a rematch be any different. I dont think so can he get to 145 again doubtful. So where do he go now? Trilogy with nate is only option at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I train there and I haven't seen or heard anything. The mats up there are kept spotless

They keep the mats as clean as they can, but there's still ****ers walking into the jack's in their bare feet and then back onto the mats. Absolutely wrecks my head when I'm being careful wearing flip flops everywhere that's not a mat.

There's only so much you can do if some of your members are dirty ****ers.
    They've threatened to start banning people of they're caught doing that but I've yet to see it happen unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Not sure if it was mentioned already but Kavanagh confirmed he'll be on JRE tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Commanchie wrote: »
    If we are all frank and honest. It goes from the ground up. Jk and Rod arent as good as people would like you to know. They have believed their own hype for far too long while trying to monopolise MMA in ireland.

Look at fighters who got caught on the train:
    James Gallagher
    Richie Kiely
    Cian Cowley
    Cathal pendred

Really talented lads but got caught in the hype of what Jk was selling and didnt work for them. I think new coaching is needed personally.

Great point. Mcgregor was good in spite of John and roddy. Everyone else from that gym is essentially a D grade fighter, lads who are lucky to be fighting on undercards. Connor was training with John redmond for this fight. Khabib was training with cain dc and rock hold. Javier mendes has a proven stable of champions, jk has a stable full of cans and then one anomaly in connor. Connor needs ego change gym to progress. Jk is a snake charmer and they are all yes men surrounding connor. There is no black box method in sbg. Just a snake oil salesman who believes connors success Is down to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tazzimus wrote: »
    They keep the mats as clean as they can, but there's still ****ers walking into the jack's in their bare feet and then back onto the mats. Absolutely wrecks my head when I'm being careful wearing flip flops everywhere that's not a mat.

There's only so much you can do if some of your members are dirty ****ers.
    They've threatened to start banning people of they're caught doing that but I've yet to see it happen unfortunately

There was a bit of a rampage a while back and blue murder during wimp2warrior alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can you honestly not see how ridiculous that is? With that convenient tailored logic in mind, almost any of the current top 15 are flukes.

McGregor is a great fighter, and even the best have their off days (or just days where their skillset does not, and cannot, translate), some of them at the expense of McGregor.

It's the fight game, what goes around, comes around. Did people claim Aldo was done after losing to McGregor? What about Alarez? Of course not. Those victories didn't magically diminish their previous achievements.

229 tells us less about Conor, certainly nothing that we didn't already know, and more about just how insanely good Khabib is.

What people are getting at here is like claiming Ronaldo is a crap footballer because he had a bad game; Serena Williams is bad tennis player because she lost the last tournament; Rory McIllroy is a crap golfer for the same reason; and so on.

It's just nonsense. Yeah, McGregor lost. He was beaten soundly, fair and square, and out-classed in every department. It happens, and to the very best.

Am I saying McG is the very best? Course not. But his career is not over nor is he suddenly a bad, poor, or mediocre fighter based on one result.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Lol none of those guys are talented they got into the ufc or bellator on Conor's name alone.
    You can't blame John Kavanagh for that bunch they just aren't very good

Thats what im saying. A very good coach would of improved the basics where each of these fighters fell short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can you honestly not see how ridiculous that is? With that convenient tailored logic in mind, almost any of the current top 15 are flukes.

McGregor is a great fighter, and even the best have their off days (or just days where their skillset does not, and cannot, translate), some of them at the expense of McGregor.

It's the fight game, what goes around, comes around. Did people claim Aldo was done after losing to McGregor? What about Alarez? Of course not. Those victories didn't magically diminish their previous achievements.

229 tells us less about Conor, certainly nothing that we didn't already know, and more about just how insanely good Khabib is.

What people are getting at here is like claiming Ronaldo is a crap footballer because he had a bad game; Serena Williams is bad tennis player because she lost the last tournament; Rory McIllroy is a crap golfer for the same reason; and so on.

It's just nonsense. Yeah, McGregor lost. He was beaten soundly, fair and square, and out-classed in every department. It happens, and to the very best.

Am I saying McG is the very best? Course not. But his career is not over nor is he suddenly a bad, poor, or mediocre fighter based on one result.
    Is it an off day or a permament decline?

He as been in some tough fights with Diaz, Lifestyle is poor & is now 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Standing around like fools, fight or **** off home

You'll only see any of those twats fighting when they're with 15 of their mates and jumping some young lad coming out of a chipper. Our estates are full of wannabe hard men who'd sh1t their pants in a dark room on their own.
    Go abroad where people eek out a living and you'll find people who can fight. Our thugs and gangsters are laughable in comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement