Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Sure it wasn't even a choke, why did he tap, pussy.

Etc

This place needs a sarcasm font :)

Im laughing how some people are saying "RNC wasnt even tight" dont know about a RNC but the crank was tight AF. I nearly lost a jaw and teeth from a tight crank once hahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Commanchie wrote: »
    Im laughing how some people are saying "RNC wasnt even tight" dont know about a RNC but the crank was tight AF. I nearly lost a jaw and teeth from a tight crank once hahah
    You'll find they're people that mostly have never had it applied to them and probably think UFC is a martial art.
    Speaking from experience, like yourself, that **** hurts like ****, never mind while being applied by an angry Russian man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You'll find they're people that mostly have never had it applied to them and probably think UFC is a martial art.
    Speaking from experience, like yourself, that **** hurts like ****, never mind while being applied by an angry Russian man.

Lets face it, Khabib was happy to kill on the night so tapping out is a life saver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What insulting thing did mcgregor say about khabib's religon and Islam in general as a matter of interest?

https://youtu.be/toMwqBmkt4E

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Meh I don't know lads, I think he tapped pretty quickly. Neck cranks are nasty but I've seen people stick worse for longer with nothing to gain.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    Meh I don't know lads, I think he tapped pretty quickly. Neck cranks are nasty but I've seen people stick worse for longer with nothing to gain.
    Different pain thresholds play into it as well I suppose.

I'll generally tap to them quite quickly if I'm caught as I like my neck and the ability to chew food the day after :) Some people can tough them out for a while, or even outlast the person applying it, depending how quick they burn their arms out.

That was a nasty looking one though, with the short grip he would have had a nice bit of torque on it as well.

Different pain thresholds play into it as well I suppose.

I'll generally tap to them quite quickly if I'm caught as I like my neck and the ability to chew food the day after :) Some people can tough them out for a while, or even outlast the person applying it, depending how quick they burn their arms out.

That was a nasty looking one though, with the short grip he would have had a nice bit of torque on it as well.

I just feel that wee bit of quit he has in him reared its head. No real shame as he impressed greatly defending on the ground but after everything that went on I expected him to just say **** it and try to ride it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

There's a clip that shows Khabib hunting for a kimura on Conor's left arm in the second round. Khabib calls out to Dana when doing it and a second later Conor hits him with the illegal knee. Maybe Conor knew he could've lost his arm moments later and tried to discourage him. I really can't imagine Khabib showing any mercy to his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

So where does he go from here? feel he will want an immediate rematch and the UFC will grant it to him, dependent on any potential bans for Khabib. Other than that Id love to see Diaz 3 if he beats Poirier.

Hoping for a quick turnaround for Conor, looked very sluggish on Saturday, none of his usual great movement, hopefully just ring rust and not a sign that his head isnt fully in it anymore.

I just feel that wee bit of quit he has in him reared its head. No real shame as he impressed greatly defending on the ground but after everything that went on I expected him to just say **** it and try to ride it out.
    Definitely a possibility alright.

I think one thing that most can agree on, he made Khabib work for those takedowns and defended very well when he was being pummelled. I'd say he surprised a lot of people in that department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not really sure why someone would stick it for much longer unless it's close to the bell. There was zero chance of getting out from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm not really sure why someone would stick it for much longer unless it's close to the bell. There was zero chance of getting out from it.

He shouldn’t really make comments like “I’d rather die than tap” if he’s gonna tap out as soon as a submission move is locked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He shouldn’t really make comments like “I’d rather die than tap” if he’s gonna tap out as soon as a submission move is locked in.

I also don't get why someone would say that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Your mind would change if you had one locked in on you.

First thing that you are thought going into a gym is that there is no shame in tapping, it's encouraged to protect yourself.

You need to distinguish this from bravado talk.

The chance you take is that the crank doesn't break anything, Khabib would realise quick enough that he wasn't tapping and have to let it go. A neck crank can only be applied full force for a short time. You see guys escape them quite a lot even in the UFC. I would like to hear what Conor says about it, could have been a blood choke mixed in there too.

McGregor is so good at tapping out..

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Given what happened afterwards, not a whole lot of talk about McGregors illegal knee and illegal holding of Khabibs glove. Yeah his TDD was decent, but grabbing the gloves also kept him up.

Id say "Conor McGregor, The Redemption Story" is already in the offing. Expect a late late toyshow appearance and some "leaked" stories of charitable donations in an attempt to win back the hearts and minds of the Irish people.

The biggest loser of this weekend was not Conor, Khabib or the UFC. That Irish fan that got slept by the Russian on youtube wins that accolade. Any empathy that might be afforded someone who gets assaulted like that goes out the window when you see him spitting at the guy. Scummy move.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Your mind would change if you had one locked in on you.

First thing that you are thought going into a gym is that there is no shame in tapping, it's encouraged to protect yourself.

You need to distinguish this from bravado talk.

It's still pretty embarrassing to do it in front of a full stadium and a large tv audience -

particularly coming after all the vitriolic teenage-level insult thrash-talk that he gave out before.

plus - he does have a very feminine dainty way of tapping out which doesn't help. he should really work on making it look a bit more manly for next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Anyone know how much Conor made from the fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Of course he should. The masses lap up that kind of entertainment. It's why he gets fifty times more money than anyone else.

It's just smart to tap quick - avoid injury.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Officially a 3 million purse, then add on PPV points and Sponsorship.

John Kavanagh on with Joe Rogan this afternoon, should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Ive seen 50m claimed. Dont believe that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

cournioni wrote: »
    Looking at McGregors footwork yesterday morning compared with previous fights, I thought he was quite flat footed and predictable.

What won the fight for Khabib was the punch he landed at the start of the second round (then the subsequent grapple etc.). McGregor never fully recovered from that.

Thought McGregor was poor and Khabib was his normal self, a master technician. I wouldn't rule out McGregor winning a potential rematch if it were to happen. Very unlikely I'd say.

Agreed. Not sure if he wasn't hungry for the win or just got worn down by Khabib before he got going. Either way he didn't show the usual awareness of space, etc. that used to win him fights. But again, that might have been more down to Khabib overwhelming him early and sapping his energy.

The Nal wrote: »
    Ive seen 50m claimed. Dont believe that though.

The PPV was on track to smash all records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I thought the same at first but I don't think he had any possible way to defend it. Conor was using his two arms to stop him from being forced face down onto the mat. Khabib had his legs wrapped up and was almost sitting on his back. Horrible looking position. And a neck crack hurts like hell, look how quickly Conor's face started to turn purple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

cournioni wrote: »
    Looking at McGregors footwork yesterday morning compared with previous fights, I thought he was quite flat footed and predictable.

What won the fight for Khabib was the punch he landed at the start of the second round (then the subsequent grapple etc.). McGregor never fully recovered from that.

Thought McGregor was poor and Khabib was his normal self, a master technician. I wouldn't rule out McGregor winning a potential rematch if it were to happen. Very unlikely I'd say.

That punch didn't hurt mcgregor much at all. Can tell by how he was getting back up immediately with his eyes locked onto khabib. He was caught as he was taking a backwards step so it more knocked him off balance than knocked down. He lost due to his striking/composure/movement not being as good has it has been in the past and the ground n pound in round 2 taking alot out of him. I wouldn't count him out of a rematch either, when khabib had him down in round 1 mcgregor showed that he can handle the grappling better than most of khabibs previous opponents. He spent at least 2 minutes trying to get mcgregor onto his back but couldn't do it, usually he has no issue early on.

spix wrote: »
    That punch didn't hurt mcgregor much at all. Can tell by how he was getting back up immediately with his eyes locked onto khabib. He was caught as he was taking a backwards step so it more knocked him off balance than knocked down. He lost due to his striking/composure/movement not being as good has it has been in the past and the ground n pound in round 2 taking alot out of him. I wouldn't count him out of a rematch either, when khabib had him down in round 1 mcgregor showed that he can handle the grappling better than most of khabibs previous opponents. He spent at least 2 minutes trying to get mcgregor onto his back but couldn't do it, usually he has no issue early on.

Khabib just has to do the same - drain McGregor in the first 2 rounds and McGregor can't win.

I actually thought that Khabib was a bit foolhardy to go toe-to-toe for much of round 3 on stand-up but he probably knew that he had him at that stage after the battering he gave him in round 2.

He wanted to prove a point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

glasso wrote: »
    Khabib just has to do the same - drain McGregor in the first 2 rounds and McGregor can't win.

I actually thought that Khabib was a bit foolhardy to go toe-to-toe for much of round 3 on stand-up but he probably knew that he had him at that stage after the battering he gave him in round 2.

I don't think it was to prove a point. Khabib looked pretty tired himself so I think he was taking the round off to give him energy for the 4th and 5th rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

glasso wrote: »

The main thing is that certainly wasn't the best version of mcgregor in the beginning of round 1/round 2. If the best version does show up then it could be a different story with the standup. Theres been many instances where fighters go through rough patches and come back better than ever. Hopefully this is eye opening for him and his coaches and they can turn things around (or mcgregor gets some new coaches which aren't yes men)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement