Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

spix wrote: »
    Hopefully this is eye opening for him and his coaches and they can turn things around (or mcgregor gets some new coaches which aren't yes men)

He's loyal so hard to see him dumping his coaches. But maybe it would the right thing to do. He'd probably need to focus on his training a lot more and put his businesses on the back burner, but can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Effects wrote: »
    He's loyal so hard to see him dumping his coaches. But maybe it would the right thing to do. He'd probably need to focus on his training a lot more and put his businesses on the back burner, but can't see that happening.

You never know. I don't think he cared much about the mayweather loss as hes not a boxer so his training after that was definitely not what it should've been until the fight with khabib was signed. But you saw how he turned things around after Diaz 2. I think mma loses affect him much more so he'll want to make sure the next time he's in the cage, he's at his best.

I don't think it was to prove a point. Khabib looked pretty tired himself so I think he was taking the round off to give him energy for the 4th and 5th rounds.

you do have a point there for sure as round 2 did use a good bit of energy from Khabib's point of view but also Khabib could have chosen not to engage so much on stand-up in Round 3 imo.

glasso wrote: »
    you do have a point there for sure as round 2 did use a good bit of energy from Khabib's point of view but also Khabib could have chosen not to engage so much on stand-up in Round 3 imo.

When he did eventually decide to try a takedown in round 3, he failed, even after all the rest. I think he respected mcgregors strength and takedown defense more than people think so didn't even attempt the takedown earlier as he knew he wouldn't get it.

imo he's too used to the yes-man fawning culture that he has built up around himself that it would take a major self-awareness hit to change up things dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I'm glad others are saying it and it's not just me imagining it. Megregor the other night is not the same megregor that won all the fights pre Mayweather. I really looking forward to some fight breakdowns etc to really have an in Dept look at what went wrong.

P.s it absolutely was a definite bashing from khabib regardless. But he wasn't fighting a prime megregor.

What time is Joe Rogan podcast

I'm glad others are saying it and it's not just me imagining it. Megregor the other night is not the same megregor that won all the fights pre Mayweather. I really looking forward to some fight breakdowns etc to really have an in Dept look at what went wrong.

P.s it absolutely was a definite bashing from khabib regardless. But he wasn't fighting a prime megregor.

his heart wasn't in it and I don't believe that he thought he had much chance of winning - just go back and look at his eyes in the ring before the start of the fight.

with the cash he has earned the hunger that he had for winning has gone (which was related to accumulating cash mostly). even tho he earned lots the other night and will get a couple more big paydays if he wants - which he will take but that desire to win like he had will never come back unless he manages to lose everything which is not going to happen assuming his mgt. are not unscrupulous idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

How does a fighter divvy up their fight purse? Are the coaches 'hired' by the fighter and paid a fee for their services or do they get a percentage of his purse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

glasso wrote: »
    his heart wasn't in it and I don't believe that he thought he had much chance of winning - just go back and look at his eyes in the ring before the start of the fight.

with the cash he has earned the hunger that he had for winning has gone (which was related to accumulating cash mostly). even tho he earned lots the other night and will get a couple more big paydays if he wants - which he will take but that desire to win like he had will never come back unless he manages to lose everything which is not going to happen assuming his mgt. are not unscrupulous idiots.

Probably true.

The mcgregor that didn't give in to Chad mendes when he had him locked up had a never say die attitude, has the fancy life style softened him a little?

I think the great Marvin Hagler had a saying about motivation for fights.

It was something like. "it's hard to get up at 5 am and do hill sprints when you sleep in silk pyjamas"

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You'll find they're people that mostly have never had it applied to them and probably think UFC is a martial art.
    Speaking from experience, like yourself, that **** hurts like ****, never mind while being applied by an angry Russian man.

For sure and the more u wriggle the tighter its applied or you risk hand flatsided being slipped under the neck and getting a RNC. conor was in trouble once applied.

Lets make no mistake to tap out doesn mean **** all no matter how quick. If you know thats locked in and you cant shift it tap or your going asleep or out in an ambulance. Lets not be a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

He wasn't at his best because he was at his peak 2 years ago! 2 years without an MMA bout at 30 years old is a lot. He wasn't training with the best in the world day in day out like so many others during that time. He wasn't focused on MMA like Khabib was the last 2 years, lets not make excuses for the man.

He was under prepared and it showed badly. Everybody knew what Khabib was going to do and he was not able to overcome it at all.

It is a pity yes but let's not beat around the bush!

I am glad for Conor that he capitalised on his momentum and fame when he did and put together the deals he did, because if you were to go and try do that now he's make half as much on them.

He said himself from the start get in, get rich, get out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone know what time JK is on Joe Rogan show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

djPSB wrote: »
    Anyone know what time JK is on Joe Rogan show?

Wont be until tonight. Sure its only 6am at the moment in LA

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Perry12 wrote: »
    How does a fighter divvy up their fight purse? Are the coaches 'hired' by the fighter and paid a fee for their services or do they get a percentage of his purse?

a % split of purses in normal up until the fighter starts earning silly money, 10-15% are standard. When you're on a 7 or 8 figures like McGregor then its generally a large flat fee (or a % of the 'show' money).

When the fighter is earning smaller amounts coaches and managers often don't take a cut. Small hall and leisure centre shows style. but depends on the relationship.

People brought in for sparring are paid and expenses covered. Dillon will be getting paid for his expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The mcgregor that didn't give in to Chad mendes when he had him locked up had a never say die attitude, has the fancy life style softened him a little?

Maybe he would have given in. Mendes gassed. He only took the fight on 10 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

You never know. I don't think he cared much about the mayweather loss as hes not a boxer so his training after that was definitely not what it should've been until the fight with khabib was signed. But you saw how he turned things around after Diaz 2. I think mma loses affect him much more so he'll want to make sure the next time he's in the cage, he's at his best.

why are people presuming that wasn't McGregors best? he met a better fighter, simple as. he is extremely dangerous on his feet for 2 rounds against guys with an inferior reach but the blue print is now there, take him into the latter rounds and make him work.

his best may not be enough to beat the top guys at 155.

conor from 2/3 years ago still loses to Khabib in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I need that one explained to me. What battle exactly is he talking about? Cash?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    why are people presuming that wasn't McGregors best? he met a better fighter, simple as. he is extremely dangerous on his feet for 2 rounds against guys with an inferior reach but the blue print is now there, take him into the latter rounds and make him work.

his best may not be enough to beat the top guys at 155.

conor from 2/3 years ago still loses to Khabib in my opinion

Because you could tell by his early movement and punches that he wasn't his best, before khabib even done anything. That mcgregor had nothing on the one from 202 or even 196.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Because you could tell by his early movement and punches that he wasn't his best, before khabib even done anything. That mcgregor had nothing on the one from 202 or even 196.

Seriously, he can't be the same person as 2 years ago. Stop using 202/196 as examples

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    I need that one explained to me. What battle exactly is he talking about? Cash?

Maybe that in the end, khabib fooked up so in some ways it was a bit of a victory for him. He had 3 of khabibs teammates go after him in the cage and gave 1 a black eye. Khabibs pay was suspended, at least 1 of his teammates wont be fighting in the ufc again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

McGregor was well beaten to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe that in the end, khabib fooked up so in some ways it was a bit of a victory for him. He had 3 of khabibs teammates go after him in the cage and gave 1 a black eye. Khabibs pay was suspended, at least 1 of his teammates wont be fighting in the ufc again.

Isn't Artem going to lose as well? Have they cancelled that fight yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

DIMgnNvV4AAqdT6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Khabib has lost everything. His coveted honour. He will lose his belt - he will be suspended.

That tweet/post is just more mcgregor spin/****ery. He knows how to play the media game. But, more than anything, glass in hand, he is just pushing his whiskey.

Yeah that dude was fired

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No. Tukhugov has been taken off the card to be replaced by some other jabroni. Shame really. That would've been interesting!

But The GOAT Artem is still on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

a % split of purses in normal up until the fighter starts earning silly money, 10-15% are standard. When you're on a 7 or 8 figures like McGregor then its generally a large flat fee (or a % of the 'show' money).

When the fighter is earning smaller amounts coaches and managers often don't take a cut. Small hall and leisure centre shows style. but depends on the relationship.

People brought in for sparring are paid and expenses covered. Dillon will be getting paid for his expertise.

That's a tidy little sum for JK and coach Roddy then, fair play to them.

Khabib has lost everything. His coveted honour. He will lose his belt - he will be suspended.

no he hasn't. he gets a good chunk of PPV money which will be life-changing for him as he didn't have much before and he humbled McGregor.

belt or not the UFC will have him back fighting as they need him. they will be using the footage of the post-match fracas in the promos for his next fight.

Khabib - Ferguson is now probably the most anticipated fight in the UFC.

• Advertisement

Jeremy Kennedy VS Artem Lobov

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement