Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

glasso wrote: »
    no he hasn't. he gets a good chunk of PPV money which will be life-changing for him as he didn't have much before and he humbled McGregor.

belt or not the UFC will have him back fighting as they need him. they will be using the footage of the post-match fracas in the promos for his next fight.

Khabib - Ferguson is now probably the most anticipated fight in the UFC.

Khabin and ferguson is not anticipated outside mma circles. Casuals want conor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jeremy Kennedy VS Artem Lobov

Kennedy no problem for the GOAT
    Commanchie wrote: »

Casuals only know Conor. And Lesnar. Maybe Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

no he hasn't. he gets a good chunk of PPV money which will be life-changing for him as he didn't have much before and he humbled McGregor.

belt or not the UFC will have him back fighting as they need him. they will be using the footage of the post-match fracas in the promos for his next fight.

Khabib - Ferguson is now probably the most anticipated fight in the UFC.

Why do you think he'll get that PPV money now? Khabib has no clout. When the commission threatened McCGREGOR with a huge fine - he threatened to walk with his money. If Khabib's does similar - they'll laugh. Khabib does not draw.

MCgregor has over a hundred million in the bank - nothing will humble him.

UfC need McGregor - they do not need Khabib.

Nobody outside of the hardcore knows who Tony is. I love Tony. But the dude is as much of a draw to the average fan as a fly going up a wall.

Styles make fights. That's not a good fight for Tony. Kevin Lee would give Khabib a better fight. Bigger and a wrestler. Not sure he'd win though.

Commanchie wrote: »

McGregor's whole hyper routine has become tired and devoid of any charm in the last couple of promos along with a showing in the ring that was his poorest to date - his star is on the wane even for the people who bought into it 100%

Why do you think he'll get that PPV money now? Khabib has no clout. When the commission threatened McCGREGOR with a huge fine - he threatened to walk with his money. If Khabib's does similar - they'll laugh. Khabib does not draw.

MCgregor has over a hundred million in the bank - nothing will humble him.

UfC need McGregor - they do not need Khabib.

Nobody outside of the hardcore knows who Tony is. I love Tony. But the dude is as much of a draw to the average fan as a fly going up a wall.

Styles make fights. That's not a good fight for Tony. Kevin Lee would give Khabib a better fight. Bigger and a wrestler. Not sure he'd win though.

the PPV money is a separate arrangement with tv companies to the purse which is related to commission activities. they cannot withhold his PPV money from the fight afaik like they could with his purse.

• Advertisement

McGregor's whole hyper routine has become tired and devoid of any charm in the last couple of promos along with a showing in the ring that was his poorest to date - his star is on the wane even for the people who bought into it 100%

Says who. He's about to break ppv records again. Are you paying attention to what happened?

Over half a million people watched a press conference with McGregor in it. HALF A MILLION. A PRESS Conference. He's bigger than ever. All his sponsors just resigned him to bigger money deals.

I'm sorry but when major companies invest in you it's because you have major draw. You have major long-term draw.

There's a difference between an individual wanting his star to wane and the actuality. He is more popular than ever. That's just a fact.

the PPV money is a separate arrangement with tv companies to the purse which is related to commission activities. they cannot withhold his PPV money from the fight afaik like they could with his purse.

afaik says it all.

Do you know he is even getting PPV?

afaik says it all.

Do you know he is even getting PPV?

lol, trying to jump on afaik

"Nurmagomedov, the reigning champion, will get a straight $2m for the fight and he will not receive an additional bonus, either, should he retain his belt. Both fighters will have been given an additional cut of the PPV buys so they stand to make significantly more than the base, reported sum. They also have separate sponsorship deals for the bout."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/full-salaries-ufc-229-180050

'The biggest expense for the UFC is their “partner” Conor McGregor. According to McGregor he will earn around $50 million if the events sells 3 million to 3.6 million pay-per-views. This would suggest that McGregor is receiving a split of around 1/3 the total revenue. This would easily be the largest amount, both in terms of monetary and share of revenue, a fighter has ever earned with the UFC. It would mark a dramatic increase from his previous purses.'

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/6/17944142/ufc-229-khabib-vs-mcgregor-prize-in-prizefight-biggest-event-financial-mma-statistics

'While we have no knowledge of what Khabib Nurmagomedov’s actual agreement is for this match, we can use previous payouts by Zuffa as a guide.

Generally, when a fighter receives pay-per-view bonuses it is paid out in tiers. The standard seems to be $1 per PPV starting at 200,000 buys, rising to $2 a PPV for every buy over 400,000, and then finally rising to $2.50 a PPV for every buy over 600,000. It changes somewhat fighter to fighter, with the price per pay-per-view or the tiers being slightly different.

The biggest stars not only have larger PPV bonuses (up to $4 or even $5 a buy) they will also often have side deals. These side deals pay guaranteed money in addition to their show purses, and are not reported to the athletic commissions. Part of the side agreement might also include requiring the pay-per-view bonus to reach a higher number of buys before it kicks in, while in exchange the fighter receives more guaranteed pay.

Lately, Zuffa seems as if they may be eschewing some of these side agreements, instead including the total guaranteed amount in the reported purse.

The National Athletic Commission reports that Nurmagomedov will be paid $2 million to defend his lightweight title. Since this purse is identical to what Nate Diaz was paid to fight McGregor at UFC 202, lets make the assumption that Khabib asked for and received a similar deal as Nate.

According to sources familiar with Diaz’s deal, he reportedly earned around $4 million for UFC 202, after the pay-per-view bonuses were included. If Khabib has a similar deal than we can estimate that if UFC 229 sells 2 million pay-per-views he might earn in the neighborhood of $6 million and over $8 million if it does 3 million buys.'

lol, trying to jump on afaik

"Nurmagomedov, the reigning champion, will get a straight $2m for the fight and he will not receive an additional bonus, either, should he retain his belt. Both fighters will have been given an additional cut of the PPV buys so they stand to make significantly more than the base, reported sum. They also have separate sponsorship deals for the bout."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/full-salaries-ufc-229-180050

Don't ever link me to Joe.ie again! Absolute rag!

At least use a proper source!

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/6/17944142/ufc-229-khabib-vs-mcgregor-prize-in-prizefight-biggest-event-financial-mma-statistics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Just watched the fight again and I actually don't think McGregor's performance is as bad as some people are making out at all , he was always expected to be taken down and for the most part I actually think he defended pretty well but of course that becomes more difficult as the fight goes on and as Khabib continues to apply that pressure over and over.

Round 3 was the moment that he didn't manage to take , he had time to exchange and connect with his strikes but couldn't get through and this is where he didn't look his usual self , he was hesitant and slow on his feet. He did try to engage more with that heel into the mid section here though and what I assume was set up a left hand , but it never came and Khabib was growing in confidence even in the striking exchanges by this point.

Loads of would have could have should have but the result is what it is , Khabib is an animal a total top level elite athlete and that fight could play out 100 times and end the same more often than not.

I'll agree that something seemed off with McGregor , his body launguage , lack of eye contact - dare I say it lack of confidence seemed apparent from the beginning but it was not the embarrassing loss some ejets are making it out to be.

UFC will look at this at how they make money from it , they don't really care about what happened afterwards they car about how they can profit and from their perspective banning Khabib for a period may suite them if they can keep Conor in the title mix as a result , Conor needs a win - he needs to think about how to get sharper , get his confidence back and get a win against a good level opponent - forget about a Khabib rematch for now. Doubt he wants 145 again but Max would make sense as would Dustin at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How many fighters have a prime longer than 4 or 5 years? Like really at the top. People either tire of them or they lose. Happens to most fighters. Silva, Chuck, GSP, Couture, Ronda, Tyson, Naseem etc. Even Mayweather who wasn't drawing serious money until he was about 30.

4-5 years is a good run in the fight game at that level. I think its just running its natural course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Will JK still be on JRE today?

The Nal wrote: »
    How many fighters have a prime longer than 4 or 5 years? Like really at the top. People either tire of them or they lose. Happens to most fighters. Silva, Chuck, GSP, Couture, Ronda, Tyson, Naseem etc. Even Mayweather who wasn't drawing serious money until he was about 30.

4-5 years is a good run in the fight game at that level. I think its just running its natural course.

fully agree and he got a great run out of it. I was arguing with the other guy that he will not be the draw that he was from now out.

McGregor did amazingly well financially out of the whole thing - the key thing was UFC needing a guy like him at the time to bring the promotion to a wider audience. Everything aligned. He's still useful to them but not as much as he was. They gave him every break it has to be said.

he will never get back to the same ppv numbers again for a fight that he may be in I predict tho.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Just watched the fight again and I actually don't think McGregor's performance is as bad as some people are making out at all , he was always expected to be taken down and for the most part I actually think he defended pretty well but of course that becomes more difficult as the fight goes on and as Khabib continues to apply that pressure over and over.

Round 3 was the moment that he didn't manage to take , he had time to exchange and connect with his strikes but couldn't get through and this is where he didn't look his usual self , he was hesitant and slow on his feet. He did try to engage more with that heel into the mid section here though and what I assume was set up a left hand , but it never came and Khabib was growing in confidence even in the striking exchanges by this point.

Loads of would have could have should have but the result is what it is , Khabib is an animal a total top level elite athlete and that fight could play out 100 times and end the same more often than not.

I'll agree that something seemed off with McGregor , his body launguage , lack of eye contact - dare I say it lack of confidence seemed apparent from the beginning but it was not the embarrassing loss some ejets are making it out to be.

UFC will look at this at how they make money from it , they don't really care about what happened afterwards they car about how they can profit and from their perspective banning Khabib for a period may suite them if they can keep Conor in the title mix as a result , Conor needs a win - he needs to think about how to get sharper , get his confidence back and get a win against a good level opponent - forget about a Khabib rematch for now. Doubt he wants 145 again but Max would make sense as would Dustin at 155.

McGregor should take that Tony fight. That's a good fight for McGregor. While Tony is a cardio machine, has reach, and is just as tough as hell - probably has the most ways of striking people - Tony is so hittable. Tony is unbelievably hittable for a top-level guy. And Tony cuts easy. All the blood will make McGregor hard to hold on the ground. Close out New Year's eve with Tony - fight Nate - Fight Khabib again when he his back from suspension. Retire in the sunset with hundreds of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Will JK still be on JRE today?

He (JK) tweeted yesterday that he would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

And Tony cuts easy.

Does he? Can't remember Tony ever being cut bad. He's usually covered in the blood of his opponents after slashing them to bits with elbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Yeah, they even just copy pasted the fight purses form MMA junkie. They could have at least checked the original source for typo's :rolleyes:
    MMA Junkie wrote:
    Tony Ferguson: $150,000 to show ($5,000 to win)
    vs Anthony Pettis: $145,000 to show ($145,000 to win)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

McGregor should take that Tony fight. That's a good fight for McGregor. While Tony is a cardio machine, has reach, and is just as tough as hell - probably has the most ways of striking people - Tony is so hittable. Tony is unbelievably hittable for a top-level guy. And Tony cuts easy. All the blood will make McGregor hard to hold on the ground. Close out New Year's eve with Tony - fight Nate - Fight Khabib again when he his back from suspension. Retire in the sunset with hundreds of millions.

It has to be Khabib v Tony next

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Never!

If Conor can't deal with Khabib's takedowns, I'd imagine his da will be non-too-plussed by his wrestling game!

#Coinage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah, they even just copy pasted the fight purses form MMA junkie. They could have at least checked the original source for typo's :rolleyes:

That's not a typo. Tony talked about it at the press conference and that is the correct figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Yes if the UFC is to have any legitimacy as a competitive sport it has to be Tony v Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dana (I know I know) said he is never going to make that fight again after it being pulled so many times

Does he? Can't remember Tony ever being cut bad. He's usually covered in the blood of his opponents after slashing them to bits with elbows.

Against Barboza - while Barboza bled like a pig - he definitely cut up Tony. Tony has those sharp cheekbones - always easier to make those bleed - bone does the job for you.

Bizarrely Tony's ears seem to have bleed against Pettis - cauliflower ears!

Good fight against Pettis. Wasn't impressive though. Took a lot of punches off a fighter past his best.

Tony lost to Brown. Faced a past his best Barboza. Beat a young Kevin Lee. Great fighter to watch - i don't think he beats Khabib. I don't think he beats a hungry McGregor. A mcgregor with over a hundred mill in the bank. Probably. Maybe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Never!

If Conor can't deal with Khabib's takedowns, I'd imagine his da will be non-too-plussed by his wrestling game!

#Coinage

The Tony v Petis fight was the one to face the champ. Tony won, he gets the champ.
    Hopefully it'll be fifth time lucky and come together.

Tony deserves it after having being stripped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

That's not a typo. Tony talked about it at the press conference and that is the correct figure.

ooh, I just assumed it was typo as all other figures for win matched the show money.

I stand corrected :o

Think both websites copy and paste from The National Athletic Commission...:rolleyes:

Like the last five times they tried to make that fight? :)

Doesn't have to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CdYoouHjA

Khabib will be suspended - they won't wait. Tony Ferguson would beg for the conor fight. That's the money. They are prize fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

JJayoo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/rZhduV6cRZ8

Don't feck with the Russians

Why would you provoke a load of russians if you're not prepared to fight??? was the plan to sing them into submission.
    Sticking his head in him at the start and then spitting at him, then doesnt even protect himself, what a complete idiot

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Introverted Moment

spix wrote: »
    Maybe that in the end, khabib fooked up so in some ways it was a bit of a victory for him. He had 3 of khabibs teammates go after him in the cage and gave 1 a black eye. Khabibs pay was suspended, at least 1 of his teammates wont be fighting in the ufc again.
    The only victory he'll win from here forth is a face off! He can still do that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement