Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

spix wrote: »
    Conor didn't say 'business' and khabib didn't say 'guess so'

You can't tell what conor said but there was definitely no 'it' or 'business', khabib said 'lets go'

One was struggling for breath a lot more than the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Sorry meant - Johnson.

Everything else is self explanatory - if you don't know you're not qualified to talk about it.

This is gold - 'Tony takes punches in every fight, that's how he fights.'

Yeah, fighters fight to get hit. Wonderful game plan. If you're saying he eats punches to get in punches - I think Tony is a way better fighter than that.

He is but he has no problem eating punches to get in punches either
    The barboza fight he ate a lot of kicks but kept coming at him till he broke edson
    He's too tough for his own good, same as Diaz but better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Sorry meant - Johnson.

Everything else is self explanatory - if you don't know you're not qualified to talk about it.

This is gold - 'Tony takes punches in every fight, that's how he fights.'

Yeah, fighters fight to get hit. Wonderful game plan. If you're saying he eats punches to get in punches - I think Tony is a way better fighter than that.

It's not self explanatory at all Barboza was vicious in that fight as was Kevin Lee. You're being condescending instead of defending your points.

You know what I mean, Tony's game revolves around constant forward motion and volume until he drowns his opponent with pressure. Tony does well to avoid strikes doing this but he's always gonna take a couple of punches as well so yes relying on his toughness is a part of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Of course Conor can beat him. Khabib isn't indestructible. I think Conor fought a poor match by his standards. With a bit of work who knows what can happen.

Khabib has not lost a match yet. He has proven to have a good chin. He has really good stand up too, not the best ever, but combined with the option of switching to take down, he is lethal.

A lot of nonsense was spouted over the past year about Khabib and the quality of the opposition that he fought. The reality is that it doesn't really mater who he fights, it is going standard for him. The ease with which he sprang out of the ring at the end of the fight sums up what sort of a machine he is. Himself and Tony Ferguson have the 2 biggest engines in the UFC roster. Conor McGregor may have a chance against Tony Ferguson provided he knocks him out in the first 2 rounds. Anything later than that and there would be similar issues as the Khabib fight.

But for Conor McGregor to beat Khabib, I cant ever see this happening. It would take a very hard shot early in the fight against a guy who is reckless and open. Khabib is not going to do this v McGregor, ever. He only went toe to toe with him in round 3 as he knew the money was already in the bank then and the ko was not going to happen.

In short, Conor is going to successfully see out his money making career. Fighting career will be asterisked provided he doesn't regain the belt and then defend it successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

6 months of Clean living, going training 6 days a week, no drink/ coke, stop acting like a scumbag, drops the hangers on and yes men and he'll have the support of the Irish fans again and will have a much more competitive fight with Khabib.

He's pretty much did exactly what he said he wouldn't do, neglect his training. I can appreciate its hard to do the hard miles when you're sleeping in silk pyjamas. If he walked away from the sport I think most people would understand, its not the type of sport you'd want to be in if your heart isn't in it.

• Advertisement

It's not self explanatory at all Barboza was vicious in that fight as was Kevin Lee. You're being condescending instead of defending your points.

You know what I mean, Tony's game revolves around constant forward motion and volume until he drowns his opponent with pressure. Tony does well to avoid strikes doing this but he's always gonna take a couple of punches as well so yes relying on his toughness is a part of this.

In fairness, Tony takes a lot of punches. I made my point - everyone knows Pettis's record has gotten salty in the last few years. And tony took some shots in there. And as you've said always takes shots. This is in the light of a potential fight with McGregor. Has a great chin, McGregor will test that chin like it's never been tested before.

Tony's revelation that he hasn't sparred in four or five years shows he is concerned about the punishment he takes.

I'd love to see Tony fight Diaz. That would be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor refused media so he can train properly, so no excuses for not training. Khabib is just better than conor simple as that. I do think rematch will happen though and will be same result. Dillon said he training with conor and claimed hes better version of khabib

PLOPS wrote: »
    6 months of Clean living, going training 6 days a week, no drink/ coke, stop acting like a scumbag, drops the hangers on and yes men and he'll have the support of the Irish fans again and will have a much more competitive fight with Khabib.

That's what it would take but changing his lifestyle is something I just can't see him doing
    He needs to change camp but he'll never do that.

He'll never be loved again like he was around the time he beat aldo, he's changed too much and gotten far too big for his own boots sadly...

We got a few good years out of it and it was great while it lasted.

I'd love to see Tony fight Diaz. That would be insane.

guanteed fight of the year right there if it ever happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Screen_Shot_2018_10_08_at_09.10.55.png

NURMA-GEDDON

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

John Kavanagh on the JRE at about 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

mailburner wrote: »
    That's what it would take but changing his lifestyle is something I just can't see him doing
    He needs to change camp but he'll never do that.

He'll never be loved again like he was around the time he beat aldo, he's changed too much and gotten far too big for his own boots sadly...

We got a few good years out of it and it was great while it lasted.

couldn't care less about him changing i loved watching him fight and the pressers are a show nothing else hes no my mate i really don't care about his private life

but he was not the fighter i love to watch on sat night really feel he only did it for more cash and to promote his brand and **** whiskey

id love to see him come back semi regular 2-3 fights a year and put in the effort but i dont think he has it in him anymore and those guys around him are doing nothing for him only stroking his ego and ashing cheques

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I wonder what would happen if Diaz fought Khabib. When they went to ground, who would dominate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What's the craic with the Diaz trilogy thing should he lose to Poirier next month? surely Dustin would be next up for Conor in that case ......I think he could do with a fight or 2 before tackling Khabib again (or Ferguson)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mousewar wrote: »
    When they went to ground, who would dominate?

Khabib. But Nate would at least try and attack off his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

spix wrote: »
    Perry12 wrote: »
    Which round? I did notice Conor trying to touch gloves at the beginning of the 3rd but Khabib was like f5@k off!

Eh.. he didn't try to touch gloves, mcgregor always comes out with his hand extended, thats just his stance.

Upon rewatch you’re right. My bad

Mousewar wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if Diaz fought Khabib. When they went to ground, who would dominate?

Now that would be something. Another great fight - you'd imagine Khabib would be too strong for Diaz. But when you look at what RDA did to Diaz... and what Khabib did to Diaz...

But, i think Diaz has come on leaps and bounds since...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

dave1982 wrote: »
    Conor refused media so he can train properly, so no excuses for not training. Khabib is just better than conor simple as that. I do think rematch will happen though and will be same result. Dillon said he training with conor and claimed hes better version of khabib

refused media so we wouldn't see his preperation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Nate Diaz is very good but also horribly overrated IMO, he's **** against wrestlers and you can just leg kick him to death for 3 or 5 rounds. Same goes for his brother Nick, both hugely entertaining IF you fight them on their terms but the blueprint is there to beat them if you follow a simple gameplan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I would fancy Conor to beat Tony in a 3 round fight but not in a 5 round fight.

No chance Mcgregor ever fights as a co-main again but if he was to it would have to be the co-main to DC vs Lesnar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nate vs Conor for Nate's first defence of his Superfighter Division title.

Don't know if it's true, but heard on the grapevine that McGregor tore his knee running into the lead up of the fight. Similar to the injury he had against Mendez. This is why he his punches didn't have the usual pop or why he didn't throw as many punches.

Probably bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

ardinn wrote: »
    John Kavanagh on the JRE at about 7pm

No sign for me? Will it be streamed live yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ricero wrote: »
    No chance Mcgregor ever fights as a co-main again but if he was to it would have to be the co-main to DC vs Lesnar.

Really? The next time he's back in the octagon it's as the main event, no question about that. Imagine him fighting halfway through a card, it would be awkward when the majority of the crowd either just get up and leave or completely lack interest in the fights that come afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

https://www.youtube.com/c/powerfuljre/live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Nevermind live now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAT9HQY6e4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really? The next time he's back in the octagon it's as the main event, no question about that. Imagine him fighting halfway through a card, it would be awkward when the majority of the crowd either just get up and leave or completely lack interest in the fights that come afterwards.

Thats why if he was ever to fight co-main it could only be on the DC v Lesnar card.

No chance anyway. He will always be main event i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ricero wrote: »
    Thats why if he was ever to fight co-main it could only be on the DC v Lesnar card.

No chance anyway. He will always be main event i reckon.

Sorry, I misunderstood that completely. I thought you were saying he'd never be in a main event fight again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

This Lockhart fella is full of pure bro science bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This Lockhart fella is full of pure bro science bull.

Christ it's painful stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement