Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Steve wrote: »
    Good evening ladies, just to let you know that your regular mod will be on hols tomorrow so I'll be keeping an eye in here ...

play nice :)

:D
    I made this for Axwell when he joined here, I guess we need a new updated picture now after this weekend

12hlun.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

eddie73 wrote: »
    v Diaz, very close, Diaz has to fight a couple of times to get his match fitness back.

Match fitness?

Nate Diaz accepted a fight a few days out while he was in Baja eating tacos and drinking Tequila on a boat and broke Conor in 2 rounds.

The man is possibly the most aerobically fit fighter in MMA, he does adventure races for ****s and giggles. He's fighting in like 3 weeks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

No..out wrestled..yer man can take a slap..

They said the same about Eddie. Turned out well. Eddie is a lot better than Al.

They said he'd beat Khabib too..

Is Eddie lot better than Al?
    I don't think so, not anymore. Eddie's chin is gonzo. He gets rocked in almost every fight, Al has a granite chin and can throw hands, and Eddie's not going to out wrestle him. 4 of his 5 wins before the Khabib fight were TKO's, and his conditioning is fantastic.
    Is Eddie better than Al, maybe, maybe not. But he's not a "lot" better than him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

JJayoo wrote: »
    Crazy when you think that originally Khabibs was set to fight Eddie for the belt but the UFC gave the shot to McG instead.

So if Khabibs had gotten the shot and beaten Eddie and then went on to smash McG it would have changed everything.

Who says Khabib was getting a shot back then? He fought on the prelims that night Conor beat Eddie after over 2 years out

D'ye see Danis gestured "come on" to Khabib..

Is Eddie lot better than Al?
    I don't think so, not anymore. Eddie's chin is gonzo. He gets rocked in almost every fight, Al has a granite chin and can throw hands, and Eddie's not going to out wrestle him. 4 of his 5 wins before the Khabib fight were TKO's, and his conditioning is fantastic.
    Is Eddie better than Al, maybe, maybe not. But he's not a "lot" better than him.

He has sure had a better career than AL. A LOT BETTER. And, yes, he is a lot better than AL.

Eddie hasn't been as good since 2016. But AL will never reach the heights of Eddie's career.

Lads, are ye so hell bent on downgrading mcgregor that'll ye downgrade any of his opponents too. Jesus wept.

AL alongside Eddie. Come on...

Eddie got beat by a prime Dustin P. It happens.

AL got off the couch with no expectation or pressure to put it up to a distracted Khabib. Fair play. But, no, nowhere near Eddie. Certainly not the Eddie of 2016. Al has had about four fights in four years...

And one loss in 2018 does not mean McGregor is finished. Practically the same age as Khabib. Just two years of rusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

He has sure had a better career than AL. A LOT BETTER. And, yes, he is a lot better than AL.

Eddie hasn't been as good since 2016. But AL will never reach the heights of Eddie's career.

Lads, are ye so hell bent on downgrading mcgregor that'll ye downgrade any of his opponents too. Jesus wept.

AL alongside Eddie. Come on...

Eddie got beat by a prime Dustin P. It happens.

AL got off the couch with no expectation or pressure to put it up to a distracted Khabib. Fair play. But, no, nowhere near Eddie. Certainly not the Eddie of 2016. Al has had about four fights in four years...

And one loss in 2018 does not mean McGregor is finished. Practically the same age as Khabib. Just two years of rusting.

I think its hilarious your talking about lads downgrading Mcgregor when you sound like ya would sell your granny to big him up.

Commanchie wrote: »
    I think its hilarious your talking about lads downgrading Mcgregor when you sound like ya would sell your granny to big him up.

sell your granny...

How have I 'bigged him up'?

What does text sound like?

• Advertisement

I'm not downgrading anyone ya looper.
    Al Iaquinta is a very good fighter, so is Eddie, I just happen to think Al would probably beat Eddie at this point of both their careers.
    Anyone in the top 10 in the UFC is one of the 10 or 15 best light weights on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Match fitness?

Nate Diaz accepted a fight a few days out while he was in Baja eating tacos and drinking Tequila on a boat and broke Conor in 2 rounds.

The man is possibly the most aerobically fit fighter in MMA, he does adventure races for ****s and giggles. He's fighting in like 3 weeks too.

His longest wait was a year before the Michael Johnson fight and before that, another year. (Dos Anjos fight I think). He lost that one. This is a 2 year plus 3 month lay off.

He had fought on very short notice and no camp for sure v Conor, but he had fought very recently before ufc 196. IMO he had some fight fitness to fall back on.

I really believe that he would need a couple of fights to get back to where he needs to be at, not to compete with Conor McGregor (which he would do regardless), but to have a chance of winning it.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

sell your granny...

How have I 'bigged him up'?

What does text sound like?

Read your posts. Im sure everyone else here can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just listened to it, agree with whoever said it should have been two separate podcasts, a full two hours was needed for sure, but anyway.......

Rematch for Paddy's weekend would be epic, hope it comes about.

That docu they talked about with the Paulie footage sounds interesting.

Speaking of which, he's been retweeting clips of the apparent 'It's only business' clip and saying it shows, guess what? That's right, that Conor has 'No balls!' Least he's consistent I suppose.

No doubt because JK mentioned that they may fight sometime, the clown will get even more twitter miles out of it.

Also thought it interesting to hear JK say that he didn't hear Dillon saying anything to Khabib from the side of the cage. Thought they would start arguing there as Joe had said that he heard Dillon shouting insults at Khabib to try and provoke him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

not bad.

what about Al Iaquinta, Diaz, Tony, and then Khabib again.

gregor gillespie :)

Aldo trying to get his 5 minutes from the fallout...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bosdin2DoCT/

I can't say that I'd hate to see this rematch though. Two years ago it mightn't have made sense for Conor, now I think it could do his MMA career a world of good. As we've long suspected and as JK reasserted on last night's JR podcast...Conor's only interested in prize fighting these days. A rematch with Aldo would certainly be that.

Conor might still have no interest in going back and facing an opponent he comprehensively beat the first time. However, that should help him get an insight to the way Khabib could be feeling about their own rematch.

Conor v Aldo, v Diaz, then v Khabib. That's a route I'd like to see him take in the next 12-14 months if it is to be 'prize' fighting. Surely there could be another $100m+ accumulated from those three fights since those are his three most anticipated rematches. Won't happen though. Conor's looking to go straight back for the Khabib rematch, the heart is ruling the head. He needs to build up to that level again after two years out of a very competitive game and it showing in his most recent bout.

Also, if he takes another spell to go off and fight Malignaggi or some other kind of circus with Floyd, we can forget about another win for Conor against a top MMA fighter in his UFC career IMO. The game is just moving on too quick without him in his absence. Never mind Khabib, I'd even worry for Conor's chances against Tony Ferguson if he was to somehow end up fighting him next. These are top fighters at 155 who have been refining and progressing their game while Conor has been out of the octagon. Khabib said "After me, he goes back to boxing". I really hope this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »
    Crazy when you think that originally Khabibs was set to fight Eddie for the belt...
    Pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Khabib was out for 2 years with a reoccurring injury. Conor was given the shot verses RDA while Khabib was out. Khabib didn't come back until April 2018 (after McGregor v Diaz) against Darrel Horcher. Not really enough to get him a title show. But after he beat Michael Johnson at 205, he had a solid claim imo (and got the interim shot verses Tony)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd be all for an Aldo rematch at 155, that or a Diaz rematch, two fights I think he'd win with not much problems, a nice confidence booster and then start hyping up a Khabib rematch. I have zero interest in Khabib rematch next, UFC would be a joke if they do that next, not that it would surprise anyone.

Tony and Khabib have to fight next. I'll feel very sorry for Poirier in all this if he beats Diaz, which I don't think he will, but if he does the poor chap will never get his deserved title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this is a stupid qn from someone with no knowledge but maybe someone can humour me, have re watched the fight again, is there not an opportunity when Khabib has conor on the ground (before he started smashing him with G&P) for conor to get him in a front facelock and get a choke on him or is there no leverage for him the way khabib has his legs tied up?

Aldo trying to get his 5 minutes from the fallout...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bosdin2DoCT/

I can't say that I'd hate to see this rematch though. Two years ago it mightn't have made sense for Conor, now I think it could do his MMA career a world of good. As we've long suspected and as JK reasserted on last night's JR podcast...Conor's only interested in prize fighting these days. A rematch with Aldo would certainly be that.

Conor might still have no interest in going back and facing an opponent he comprehensively beat the first time. However, that should help him get an insight to the way Khabib could be feeling about their own rematch.

Conor v Aldo, v Diaz, then v Khabib. That's a route I'd like to see him take in the next 12-14 months if it is to be 'prize' fighting. Surely there could be another $100m+ accumulated from those three fights since those are his three most anticipated rematches. Won't happen though. Conor's looking to go straight back for the Khabib rematch, the heart is ruling the head. He needs to build up to that level again after two years out of a very competitive game and it showing in his most recent bout.

Also, if he takes another spell to go off and fight Malignaggi or some other kind of circus with Floyd, we can forget about another win for Conor against a top MMA fighter in his UFC career IMO. The game is just moving on too quick without him in his absence. Never mind Khabib, I'd even worry for Conor's chances against Tony Ferguson if he was to somehow end up fighting him next. These are top fighters at 155 who have been refining and progressing their game while Conor has been out of the octagon. Khabib said "After me, he goes back to boxing". I really hope this isn't the case.

All professional fighting is prizefighting.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cyrus wrote: »
    this is a stupid qn from someone with no knowledge but maybe someone can humour me, have re watched the fight again, is there not an opportunity when Khabib has conor on the ground (before he started smashing him with G&P) for conor to get him in a front facelock and get a choke on him or is there no leverage for him the way khabib has his legs tied up?
    Khabib could easily escape it as Conor couldn't do anything with his legs.
    He knew it wasn't going to work so didn't try I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Has Conor ever won by a sub?
    I’d say that train of thought never comes into his mind when grappling?
    More about defense and getting back on his feet with the odd smack thrown in when he can?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

XsApollo wrote: »
    Has Conor ever won by a sub?

No and all 4 losses by sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

The Nal wrote: »
    No and all 4 losses by sub.

He choked out Dave Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

McGregor is past his peak in terms of hype now. He's no longer the unbeatable, raw powerhouse who knocks out everyone in his sight. People are sick of his pre fight routines now, everything has been seen before.

He got absolutely schooled on Saturday and he's in no way deserving of a Khabib rematch. He's more interested in marketing his bottle of piss than anything now. His ground game is terrible.

More and more people are happy to see him beat after his antics over the years. He's just wholly unlikable and it's clear this "I'm a dick" persona isn't a persona, it's who he is.

I'm actually surprised he signed up for 6 fights...didn't really see 6 fights worth in the UFC for him, less so now. He can't be that stuck for money. Maybe he's not making as much from these mega fights as he claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised he signed up for 6 fights...didn't really see 6 fights worth in the UFC for him, less so now. He can't be that stuck for money. Maybe he's not making as much from these mega fights as he claims?

Both Conor and the UFC know there’s not a hope in hell that he will fight 6 more times. Probably one or two more at most.

All it does is give the UFC a bit of security in case someone like Bellator come at him a few years down the line with a mega money offer. Oh and you can be sure that Conor was given a substantial amount of money for even signing that 6 fight contract too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pussyhands wrote: »
    McGregor is past his peak in terms of hype now. He's no longer the unbeatable, raw powerhouse who knocks out everyone in his sight. People are sick of his pre fight routines now, everything has been seen before.

He got absolutely schooled on Saturday and he's in no way deserving of a Khabib rematch. He's more interested in marketing his bottle of piss than anything now. His ground game is terrible.

More and more people are happy to see him beat after his antics over the years. He's just wholly unlikable and it's clear this "I'm a dick" persona isn't a persona, it's who he is.

Past his best, yet he probably just beat the MMA record for PPV buys.

You'll have to excuse him, but I doubt Dana will be looking to you for business advice.

People have always tuned in hoping that he loses, the very fact that he's so divisive is why he's such a big draw, so that helps him more than anything.

You probably don't follow the sport, so you don't realise that he has generally signed a new long term contract after every second fight. It's not worth much, the UFC just do it to keep him tied to the promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ASOT wrote: »
    He choked out Dave Hill

So he did yeah.

Interesting from JK last night saying he considered McGregor done after Alvarez.

Hard to see where he goes from here. Another loss and he should pack it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'd be all for an Aldo rematch at 155, that or a Diaz rematch, two fights I think he'd win with not much problems, a nice confidence booster and then start hyping up a Khabib rematch. I have zero interest in Khabib rematch next, UFC would be a joke if they do that next, not that it would surprise anyone.

Tony and Khabib have to fight next. I'll feel very sorry for Poirier in all this if he beats Diaz, which I don't think he will, but if he does the poor chap will never get his deserved title fight.

I find it a bit sad that so many are calling for handy fights that they're sure he'll win. Like, that's not what sport's about.

I'd love to see him in the cage with Khabib again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement