Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQGXuMqq840

an interesting video on Khabib's friends, they trump conors....

in fairness the magnamedov guy looks like to have bs politically motivated charges against him

the dictator dude - you can hardly refuse to be in a photo with him or he could fook up your family

that leaves the mgr ali - he's his mgr - probably knew feck all about him b4 hooking up with him. may have been his only option to get to the US.

McGregor parties with scumbags, goes to gangsters funerals. he chooses this.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

What did McG say about Khabibs religion? Can anyone clarify please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What did McG say about Khabibs religion? Can anyone clarify please?

I thought it was Danis that said it? Called in a "backwards c-unt"

Gintonious wrote: »
    I thought it was Danis that said it? Called in a "backwards c-unt"

the worst was saying that his (Khabib's) dad smelled of shyte.

going after someone's family like that is low and not acceptable anywhere.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

McGregor called Khabib a backwards c*nt.

Here it is for 5 minutes :)

The only other thing was that I recall that people are interpreting as being about religion is that Conor said some Arabic....which is a language, not religion.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    McGregor called Khabib a backwards c*nt.

The only other thing was that I recall that people are interpreting as being about religion is that Conor said some Arabic....which is a language, not religion.

riling him about not drinking was directly going after his religion.

he also tried to pass over a bottle of proper piss.

and Danis posted a twitter pic of Khabib with a bottle of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

glasso wrote: »
    riling him about not drinking was directly going after his religion.

he also tried to pass over a bottle of proper piss.

and Danis posted a twitter pic of Khabib with a bottle of it.

that can be interpreted a number of ways, but he's not explicitly saying anything.

FYI - not defending Conor here, I think he is fully aware of the interpretations that can be made.

that can be interpreted a number of ways, but he's not explicitly saying anything.

FYI - not defending Conor here, I think he is fully aware of the interpretations that can be made.

come on. he knew exactly what he was at.

if he explicitly mentioned the Muslim religion there would be hell to pay.

unfortunately for McGregor, Khabib is very mentally strong and was able to channel alll this into controlled aggression in the fight - he let it all out there - and afterwards! although obviously that Danis knob said something to provoke him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The difference between GSP's return last year and Mcgregors was night and day.

GSP looked like he never missed a beat and was gone for years while Mcgregor looked like he was the one gone for longer. I just dont think Mcgregor is looking after himself at all as an athlete.

If there was a rematch I'd say the change in Mcgregor's tone would be hilarious..

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    come on. he knew exactly what he was at.

if he explicitly mentioned the Muslim religion there would be hell to pay.

unfortunately for McGregor, Khabib is very mentally strong and was able to channel alll this into controlled aggression in the fight - he let it all out there - and afterwards! although obviously that Danis knob said something to provoke him.

We are on the same page ;) He knew what he was saying and 'cute' in not explicitly saying anything.

On the interview with Joe Rogan, he said that he was beside Dillon Danis and he did not hear what is being circulated in the media at the moment in relation to religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Well he started talking about "Lord Jesus Christ" in the presser so it's pretty clear what he was getting at.

McGregor doesn't seem the church going type

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

ricero wrote: »

GSP looked like he never missed a beat and was gone for years while Mcgregor looked like he was the one gone for longer. I just dont think Mcgregor is looking after himself at all as an athlete.

McGregor was also fighting Khabib. I love Bisping but he was not the same calibre of athlete like Khabib. He was well past his best and Khabib is the p4p #1 now imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Big difference between Khabib and Bisping (a victim of juicers all his career) - Bisping who had a rib injury going into the GSP fight. GSP was fighting a fighter from his own era and not the new style of MMA fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A come on GSP faced an aging Bisping who retired after. I loved bisping but GSP was always on another level to him. Conor probably isnt looking after himself but the two fights don't compare.

All this ****e about Danis...

that happens all the time.

Numerous times, Khabib taunts people from inside the cage. Embarrasses opponents by talking to Dana from inside the cage! The honor of it! And attacks people outside the cage. Poor Khabib hahaha A victim haha

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Great to see JK joking about his whole team being an embarrassment and his #1 being clattered around an octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Pussyhands wrote: »
    His ground game is terrible.

In those first two rounds Conor, despite being taken down, kept guard and frustrated Khabib who was trying to land on him (particularly in the second round). Watch McGregor's feet position in that 2nd also and you'll see how he was preventing Khabib doing much of what he was trying to do, get full mount.

Not suggesting his ground game is on par with Khabib's but who's is, which is why he was odds-on favourite to win.

But anyway, saying his ground game is terrible just isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

All this ****e about Danis...

that happens all the time.

Numerous times, Khabib taunts people from inside the cage. Embarrasses opponents by talking to Dana from inside the cage! The honor of it! And attacks people outside the cage. Poor Khabib hahaha A victim haha

Victim!!! Thanks in the main to his stunt the other night, Khabib is now a household name and next to Conor, the biggest star in UFC.
    It’s a dream come through for the UFC. They will of course big him up as the man who shut up the bully. Leaked audio of “its only business” etc. will feed this narrative. Conor looks like the lad who goaded someone into acting and when they do, turns around with the “what’s wrong with him? I was only messing” defence.
    The UFC and Conor moved MMA towards mainstream “sports entertainment”. The money that has come with that has and will continue to attact eltite athletes.
    Conor, like Ronda before him, is in danger of getting left behind. Difference this time is the UFC learned their lesson and have managed to push Khabib into superstar status to fill the void.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

kneejerk wrote: »
    Victim!!! Thanks in the main to his stunt the other night, Khabib is now a household name and next to Conor, the biggest star in UFC.
    It’s a dream come through for the UFC. They will of course big him up as the man who shut up the bully. Leaked audio of “its only business” etc. will feed this narrative. Conor looks like the lad who goaded someone into acting and when they do, turns around with the “what’s wrong with him? I was only messing” defence.
    The UFC and Conor moved MMA towards mainstream “sports entertainment”. The money that has come with that has and will continue to attact eltite athletes.
    Conor, like Ronda before him, is in danger of getting left behind. Difference this time is the UFC learned their lesson and have managed to push Khabib into superstar status to fill the void.

I don't see Khabib being a big star at all in terms of PPV buys which lets be honest are what its all about. 2 million plus buys for this fight, I'd be really surprised if Khabib passes 400,000 for his next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I've said it before but I would pay money to watch him give McGregor another hiding. Very satisfying.

And to think of all the diehards turning themselves inside out trying to justify or write it off.

He won the third round. He wasn't battered. His takedown defence was great. If it was 2016 he would've won no bother.

Just class.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

darced wrote: »
    I don't see Khabib being a big star at all in terms of PPV buys which lets be honest are what its all about. 2 million plus buys for this fight, I'd be really surprised if Khabib passes 400,000 for his next.

Since Sunday he has gained almost 5 million followers on Instagram, from just over 6.1m to over 11m and this is without promotion.
    The UFC are going to promote the hell out of him. Expect numerous talk show/TV/Film appearances, an English language social media onslaught, commercial endorsements etc.
    If his next match is the rematch, he will have equal if not bigger pulling power than Conor

Since Sunday he has gained almost 5 million followers on Instagram, from just over 6.1m to over 11m and this is without promotion.
    The UFC are going to promote the hell out of him. Expect numerous talk show/TV/Film appearances, an English language social media onslaught, commercial endorsements etc.
    If his next match is the rematch, he will have equal if not bigger pulling power than Conor

McGregor has thirty million followers. Have you heard Khabib's english?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

McGregor has thirty million followers. Have you heard Khabib's english?

Have you heard McGregors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Have you heard Khabib's english?

It's a lot better than Conor's Irish, not far off his english tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Khabib will be the golden boy for the next while alright but he will never draw like Conor, mainly because 1. No trash talk, 2. Style of fighting is boring to casuals. I think his next fight will sell well, after that it will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

All off Conors fame. Khabibs biggest payout before this was 500k. Quadrupled his pay vs Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

But he won the Instagram followers

Yay Conor

:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcKxeGw1Nf8

If only he wasn't a dickhead before the fight..

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    But he won the Instagram followers

Yay Conor

:rolleyes:

And well over a hundred million so far :)

It's called prize fighting kid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement