Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who said it has?

Clean-living has got something with alcohol?

clean-living has something to do with Muslims?
    You said it. In the post I quoted. :confused:
    It can't be hard to remember your own posts. Or just backtracking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Mellor wrote: »
    You said it. In the post I quoted. :confused:
    It can't be hard to remember your own posts. Or just backtracking?

Nope, never made that claim or anything like it.

Find it or just admit that you're over reaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

CROKE PARK - Dublin This Summer

THE RECKONING

Khabib V Conor 2

Tony Ferg v Diaz

Jon Jones v DC

GSP V WOODLEY

I would hope that the GAA would not let it into Croke Park. Not worth the hassle.

Even if there was the interest to fill it. Which I am not sure there would be. Unless the tickets were cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I would hope that the GAA would not let it into Croke Park. Not worth the hassle.

Even if there was the interest to fill it. Which I am not sure there would be. Unless the tickets were cheap enough

Float the idea that it's support for Garth Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭robwen

rob316 wrote: »
    Anyone else see the dana interview on tmz, he said over the bus thing McGregor is banned from fighting in the state of New York. Is that true?

Kavanagh was suggesting Paddy's weekend in NY for Conor's next fight/rematch on Joe Rogan the other day no mention of bans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He'd fill it twice over. The guys a mega star, regardless of what you think of him.

rob316 wrote: »
    Anyone else see the dana interview on tmz, he said over the bus thing McGregor is banned from fighting in the state of New York. Is that true?

That's Dana testing the waters for hunger for a rematch and for New York - Return of the Dolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

NYSAC would give McGregor a license when the venues complain that they don't want to lose all of that revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor will never fight in Ireland again, especially now after all that **** in Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

xtal191 wrote: »
    McGregor will never fight in Ireland again, especially now after all that **** in Vegas

The fight won't be in Ireland because of the market size and the timezone.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    The fight won't be in Ireland because of the market size and the timezone.

They've had shows in England to suit the timezone. Eastern Europe would to that travel in waves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They've had shows in England to suit the timezone. Eastern Europe would to that travel in waves

Not with a superstar though. Dana isn't going to chuck away 30% revenue of a McGregor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ya, smaller fights. They're never going to waste their biggest draw (Conor) on a show that's might earn less money. Have a look at this list of the top 50 PPV fights of all time. Not a single one outside the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Given some of the guff I've heard in the media since 229, I would expect that a UFC show in Ireland to feature something like this:

latest?cb=20120219105133

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ya, smaller fights. They're never going to waste their biggest draw (Conor) on a show that's might earn less money. Have a look at this list of the top 50 PPV fights of all time. Not a single one outside the US.

Yeah, that makes sense. Too much of a risk. But I do think Conor will get his way eventually. And get a show in Dublin. He might have to wait until his last fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Conor has five of the top 15 not including the Khabib fight which is going to be top five all time.
    A lot of people over here don't realise just how big Conor is in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

spix wrote: »
    No... Khabib was the one at the airport and wasn't recoginzed. So the idea he's suddently a superstar after beating mcgregor isn't looking too good.

That’s the joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The 229 buy rate is meant to be 2.5m @ $60 each thats $150m, there is no venue in the world to make up that shortfall in gate revenue, nevermind Ireland.

They did UFC 193 out in Melbourne with Rousey headlining in a stadium, the gate was only 7m for a 55k attendance. UFC 229 had a gate of $17m for a 20k attendance. The time zone is ahead so to have a Saturday 10pm ET main card it can be on a sunday in australia at like 5pm (20 hour ahead I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

How much was the PPV in the US?

The carrier / provider usually gets a large cut, something like 30-50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Lads, Croke Park will never happen. Give over.

• Advertisement

He'd fill it twice over. The guys a mega star, regardless of what you think of him.

Possibly. I could be wrong. And more power to him if he could.

The obvious question would have to be why have his recent event in a 20,000 seater venue given that people were forking out hundreds or thousands of dollars for it.

I'm not knocking the fella. I just don't think he'd be filling Croke Park unless the tickets were reasonably cheap.

And as someone else referred to above, he might be fairly famous now but he's no Garth Brooks. Whatever about having friends in low places.

he might be fairly famous now but he's no Garth Brooks. Whatever about having friends in low places.

OOoooohhh..

Haha..

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Possibly. I could be wrong. And more power to him if he could.

The obvious question would have to be why have his recent event in a 20,000 seater venue given that people were forking out hundreds or thousands of dollars for it.

I'm not knocking the fella. I just don't think he'd be filling Croke Park unless the tickets were reasonably cheap.

And as someone else referred to above, he might be fairly famous now but he's no Garth Brooks. Whatever about having friends in low places.

I liked your post for the wit. As far as content its way off are you aware how many travel to the US to see him. He is a superstar and i dont like the guy as a person.

Commanchie wrote: »
    I liked your post for the wit. As far as content its way off are you aware how many travel to the US to see him. He is a superstar and i dont like the guy as a person.

I know a lot traveled. But look, for them it's part of the package. Mad week away with the lads. Throw 500 quid down on a ticket as part of the overall once-in-a-lifetime experience/trip.

Don't get me wrong, those people would of course follow him to Croker. But are there enough extra to fill the place? How many shelled out to view it on the PPV in Ireland? I know it might not be fair to look at that due to it being on in the middle of the night but it might give some sort of an indication. I have no idea how many. It might have been massive

I don't know. Maybe he would fill it. I just wouldn't be confident. Not a reflection on him. I think he'd have as good if not better chance to fill it than any other current individual sports star. Say for example Katie Taylor - I'd have been a great fan of hers during her amateur days. But I don't think she'd fill Croke Park too easily. For Katie Taylor, they could try other angles like cheap tickets for kids and that. But I couldn't see her filling it at say 200 quid a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I know a lot traveled. But look, for them it's part of the package. Mad week away with the lads. Throw 500 quid down on a ticket as part of the overall once-in-a-lifetime experience/trip.

Don't get me wrong, those people would of course follow him to Croker. But are there enough extra to fill the place? How many shelled out to view it on the PPV in Ireland? I know it might not be fair to look at that due to it being on in the middle of the night but it might give some sort of an indication. I have no idea how many. It might have been massive

I don't know. Maybe he would fill it. I just wouldn't be confident. Not a reflection on him. I think he'd have as good if not better chance to fill it than any other current individual sports star. Say for example Katie Taylor - I'd have been a great fan of hers during her amateur days. But I don't think she'd fill Croke Park too easily. For Katie Taylor, they could try other angles like cheap tickets for kids and that. But I couldn't see her filling it at say 200 quid a ticket.

It wasn't even on PPV in Ireland mate.

Hed fill it out easy. There are plenty of people in Ireland who've never seen him live and would love the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

I attended me 4th mcgregor fight the weekend. Im not over for a week away with the lads. I went to watch MMA of a great standard. A minority go for a weekend away as not every session head can pull 4000 handy to go and have a gargle at a mcgregor fight. Its not a cage warriors or down the local gaa club production.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dulux99 wrote: »

Hed fill it out easy. There are plenty of people in Ireland who've never seen him live and would love the opportunity.

If it was croker, a rake of yungfellas that can't afford to go to Vegas would definitely go.

I'd go.

dulux99 wrote: »

Maybe. I'm not trying to insult the fella. Some people seem to be taking it personally and jumping to his defense. I don't follow MMA. All I know is that he fought in Dublin before. I had to google and it was in 2014 in the O2/Point. Capacity 9500.

Commanchie wrote: »
    I attended me 4th mcgregor fight the weekend. Im not over for a week away with the lads. I went to watch MMA of a great standard. A minority go for a weekend away as not every session head can pull 4000 handy to go and have a gargle at a mcgregor fight. Its not a cage warriors or down the local gaa club production.

That's fine and to be expected. I'd expect you to go to a show he was on in Ireland. And I'd expect there to be plenty more like you. I just wouldn't expect there to be 80,000 of you

If it was croker, a rake of yungfellas that can't afford to go to Vegas would definitely go.

I'd go.

Fair enough. How much would you pay though? Say it was a non-big-name opponent? Would you pay 500 to attend? 200? 100? 50?

The "yungfellas" who were denied boarding at Dublin Airport would be able to attend at least :pac:

That's fine and to be expected. I'd expect you to go to a show he was on in Ireland. And I'd expect there to be plenty more like you. I just wouldn't expect there to be 80,000 of you

People would come from all over Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

People would come from all over Europe.

Sweet Christ, listen to yourself!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement