Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Grand. Well I'll be proven wrong when he has his big show in Croke Park.

It won't happen because he's too big a star to fight in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Grand. Well I'll be proven wrong when he has his big show in Croke Park.

Yes, because that's the only measure of stardom. If or if not he fights in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Duffy by submission by condescension..

It's terrible when the hurt do be hurting the hurted

It won't happen because he's too big a star to fight in Ireland.
    dulux99 wrote: »
    Yes, because that's the only measure of stardom. If or if not he fights in Croker.

Well sure that's the end of it then. I just said I didn't think he'd fill Croker. So I think it will never happen. You think it will never happen, just for different reasons. So we're never going to know. Seeing as he's too big to have an event in Dublin in a small 80,000 seater stadium and has to stick with the larger 20,000 seater venues in Las Vegas then there's no point arguing any more.

(I had also initially said that I'd hope the GAA wouldn't rent it to the UFC for an event anyways, but that's a different point)

Well sure that's the end of it then. I just said I didn't think he'd fill Croker. So I think it will never happen. You think it will never happen, just for different reasons. So we're never going to know. Seeing as he's too big to have an event in Dublin in a small 80,000 seater stadium and has to stick with the larger 20,000 seater venues in Las Vegas then there's no point arguing any more.

(I had also initially said that I'd hope the GAA wouldn't rent it to the UFC for an event anyways, but that's a different point)

Can you see that the post you just quoted by Ultimate seduction was not made by me? Good job mate.

• Advertisement

Can you see that the post you just quoted by Ultimate seduction was not made by me? Good job mate.

Yeah, but you aren't that special that people are only allowed to respond to you.

I'm sorry to break it to you "mate" but I'm allowed to reply to others as well.

Regards,

Yeah, but you aren't that special that people are only allowed to respond to you.

I'm sorry to break it to you "mate" but I'm allowed to reply to others as well.

Regards,

Your barometer whereby the only way to measure someone's fame is by if they fight in croke Park or not. I'd love to know how old you are because you don't seem to be living in the real world at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Him fighting in a 20,000 seater has nothing got to do with not being able to fill Croker, it's got to do with PPVs and revenue. It's like banging your head against a brick wall trying to explain this to you.

moneyman wrote: »
    Him fighting in a 20,000 seater has nothing got to do with not being able to fill Croker, it's got to do with PPVs and revenue. It's like banging your head against a brick wall trying to explain this to you.

It's unfortunate that they don't have the ability to send PPV signals westwards across the Atlantic then isn't it?

I was responding to the point that people think he's somehow too big of a star to have an event in Dublin. That's not quite the reason though is it? If MMA was as popular in Ireland as it is in the US, it would have events here. Why someone in NY would decide not to pay to remotely watch an event in Dublin, whereas someone in California would pay to watch an event in NY is something that someone will have to explain to me. Gate receipts in Vegas were 17m. Croker has 4 times the capacity. That's putting the gate receipts up close to 70m so.

Yes there are time difference issues, but as was alluded to above, despite having less followers on Instagram, Anthony Joshua can pack out Wembley in London, in the same time zone as Dublin, for a purse of 20 million GBP.

It's unfortunate that they don't have the ability to send PPV signals westwards across the Atlantic then isn't it?

I was responding to the point that people think he's somehow too big of a star to have an event in Dublin. That's not quite the reason though is it? If MMA was as popular in Ireland as it is in the US, it would have events here. Why someone in NY would decide not to pay to remotely watch an event in Dublin, whereas someone in California would pay to watch an event in NY is something that someone will have to explain to me

Yes there are time difference issues, but as was alluded to above, despite having less followers on Instagram, Anthony Joshua can pack out Wembley in London, in the same time zone as Dublin, for a purse of 20 million GBP.

Anthony Joshua fights on free TV in America due to his lack of pulling power and timezone issues. PPV revenue comes from the USA and Canada and they simply don't sell PPVs for 2pm in the day over there.

You're impossible.

• Advertisement

Anthony Joshua fights on free TV in America due to his lack of pulling power and timezone issues. PPV revenue comes from the USA and Canada and they simply don't sell PPVs for 2pm in the day over there.

You're impossible.

Time difference works both ways. I am sure there are people in Ireland (or Eastern Europe) who would have paid to watch the event only they were asleep due to West Coast US timing. If it's on in Europe, they pick up those people. It might not be as much, but sure they'll have all the extra money from the Croker gate revenue

Time difference works both ways. I am sure there are people in Ireland (or Eastern Europe) who would have paid to watch the event only they were asleep due to West Coast US timing. If it's on in Europe, they pick up those people. It might not be as much, but sure they'll have all the extra money from the Croker gate revenue

You're very naive in that case and you just don't understand what multiple people here have repeatedly tried to explain in many different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Jesus. The timezone difference means a massive amount of Americans, ie the ones who make up the vast majority of PPV buys, would not buy it. Some would of course, but it would be asking the UFC to lose a massive, massive amount of money. Not rocket science.

I was responding to the point that people think he's somehow too big of a star to have an event in Dublin. That's not quite the reason though is it? If MMA was as popular in Ireland as it is in the US, it would have events here.

Nobody is claiming it's as popular here as in the US. And the UFC does have events here. Do some research.
    Why someone in NY would decide not to pay to remotely watch an event in Dublin, whereas someone in California would pay to watch an event in NY is something that someone will have to explain to me. Gate receipts in Vegas were 17m. Croker has 4 times the capacity. That's putting the gate receipts up close to 70m so.

No, you're over simplifying it. You can't just extrapolate the gate based on arena size, although Croke Park would undoubtedly get a very big gate. It still makes up only a fraction of the revenue generated from PPV buys.

Someone else addressed this above.

It's been explained very clearly to you. He may or may not fight in Croke Park, I don't know whether he will or not. What I do know is that if he does, he will sell it out. Without a doubt.

I'm out for now. Bored.

Tapping out if you will. :pac:

I might come back if McGregor ever surfaces again to see what is being said about him.

I'm out for now. Bored.

Tapping out if you will. :pac:

I might come back if McGregor ever surfaces again to see what is being said about him.

Convenient that you get bored when you get brutally destroyed in the debate by moneyman with his last post.

All the best Donald, based on the interactions we've had I felt like I was actually talking to the real Donald Trump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Gintonious wrote: »
    Joshua is hugely popular in England though, and England is more of a boxing country as well. Joshua selling out Wembley is fairly relative when you consider the population of London and England in general.

UFC has always found it hard to get traction in England, even with Bisping and now Till its still not as popular as boxing over there.

Bisping and Till and everyone in the UFC are nobodies compared to McGregor.

Why do you think Mayweather fought McGregor?

Mayweather is a promotion genius. But he doesn't even have the social media and fame that McGregor has. He has a lot more money. Because he is in an established sport with established big network TV stations.

McGregor has brought a professional sport in its infancy into the billion dollar business world. That's why he gets such a large slice of the pie. Do you realize how much money he gets for advertising something with one post? Only guys like Messi and Ronaldo are bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nope, never made that claim or anything like it.

Find it or just admit that you're over reaching.

Find the post we're you linked Magomedov, Russian athletes and doping to Khabib the clean living Muslim.
    Eh, no problem...
    Yeah, I'm sure Khabib and his buddy Magomedov will be putting more people out of their homes!

But you'd have to know your stuff to know what they're like.

But then again a lot of Olympic Russian athletes have backed Magomedov...

But, wait, Russia was kicked out of the Olympics for organised doping...

But, Khabib is a clean-living man! A devout Saint! The media says so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Bisping and Till and everyone in the UFC are nobodies compared to McGregor.

Why do you think Mayweather fought McGregor?

Mayweather is a promotion genius. But he doesn't even have teh social media and fame that McGregor has. He has a lot more money. Because he is an established sport with established big network TV stations.

McGregor has brought a professional sport in its infancy into the billion dollar business world. That's why he gets such a large slice of the pie. Do you realize how much money he gets for advertising something with one post? Only guys like Messi and Ronaldo are bigger.

I think you should flip that around there mate. McGregor fought Mayweather to get money, that's all. Mayweather took it because it was serious return for a glorified sparring match for him.

Mayweather doesn't need social media, he was a well established star before that, his pay cheques would make your eyes water, and he does it with minimal sponsorship.

Pretty sure Dana White has has brought MMA into the business world ;)

I think you should flip that around there mate. McGregor fought Mayweather to get money, that's all. Mayweather took it because it was serious return for a glorified sparring match for him.

Mayweather doesn't need social media, he was a well established star before that, his pay cheques would make your eyes water, and he does it with minimal sponsorship.

Pretty sure Dana White has has brought MMA into the business world ;)

Mayweather is the A side and he choose McGregor because it made pure business and money sense. Because McGregor is a huge star. He is a money. A constant flow of money.

Doesn't need social media! It's only the biggest business platform in the world now! You might not understand that! Floyd does!

It's a pity I can't like this post because it's my own. Someone give me a like for me. It's too good.

I said THE BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS WORLD - Dana couldn't dream of Mayweather money until McGregor made it happen. THE Fertittas run Dana White like a lap dog.

Mellor wrote: »
    Find the post we're you linked Magomedov, Russian athletes and doping to Khabib the clean living Muslim.
    Eh, no problem...

I never mentioned the term Muslim. I said devout. It's clear I was talking about the image he presents to the media as a devout clean living man.

Nothing to do with alcohol. That's something that was in the media that you projected on my post. That is not there.

clean-living
    adjective
    not indulging in anything unhealthy or immoral.
    "Young is surprisingly clean-living: a non-smoking fitness fanatic"

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    You are just being wilfully ignorant. Without McGregor ufc would still be niche sport. McGregor brought it to the next level. He was the sellinf point v mayweather.

And what would McGregor be without the UFC? UFC was already doing well before he showed up, it's just doing better now.

Mayweather is the A side and he choose McGregor because it made pure business and money sense. Because McGregor is a huge star. He is a money. A constant flow of money.

Doesn't need social media! It's only the biggest business platform in the world now! You might not understand that! Floyd does!

I said THE BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS WORLD - Dana couldn't dream of Mayweather money until McGregor made it happen. THE Fertittas run Dana White like a lap dog.

I know he is, he also wasn't a risk to fight, hence why Mayweather went with it. But he already had some of the highest selling PPVs before McGregor, so this was just adding to his mantle. He had them before utilizing social media as well, he used another invention called TV to sell his fights.

I don't think I can take you seriously with the last paragraph, you don't have a clue what Dana White has done for MMA if you believe that.

And what would McGregor be without the UFC? UFC was already doing well before he showed up, it's just doing better now.

Yeah...because... that's the point...

McGregor's super-stardom took UFC into the stratosphere... - made it a billion dollar business. There's a reason why Dana compares him to ALI... - because he wants to lick him every way he can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Genuine question:

If you go to a fight in an 80k arena, can you actually see anything?

Just going on experience of rugby matches in the aviva where it's just possible to see whats going on from 10 rows back - if the play is near you. Those up in the nosebleeds wouldn't have a hope.

Surely there comes a point that you may as well just watch it on telly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

moneyman wrote: »
    Jesus. The timezone difference means a massive amount of Americans, ie the ones who make up the vast majority of PPV buys, would not buy it. Some would of course, but it would be asking the UFC to lose a massive, massive amount of money. Not rocket science.

Nobody is claiming it's as popular here as in the US. And the UFC does have events here. Do some research.

No, you're over simplifying it. You can't just extrapolate the gate based on arena size, although Croke Park would undoubtedly get a very big gate. It still makes up only a fraction of the revenue generated from PPV buys.

Someone else addressed this above.

It's been explained very clearly to you. He may or may not fight in Croke Park, I don't know whether he will or not. What I do know is that if he does, he will sell it out. Without a doubt.

Croke Park would be an absolute knackerfest. It would be carnage.

If we thought the Irish support in Vegas was disgraceful at the weekend, it would be so much worse with 80,000 plus people in Drumcondra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Steve wrote: »
    Genuine question:

If you go to a fight in an 80k arena, can you actually see anything?

Just going on experience of rugby matches in the aviva where it's just possible to see whats going on from 10 rows back - if the play is near you. Those up in the nosebleeds wouldn't have a hope.

Surely there comes a point that you may as well just watch it on telly?

You can't see anything in a 10k arena never mind 80k. It's the atmosphere and the "I was there" and insta posts

I don't think I can take you seriously with the last paragraph, you don't have a clue what Dana White has done for MMA if you believe that.

If you don't know that the Fertittas are Dana White's bosses and let him know what's what - then I can't take you seriously!

Yeah...because... that's the point...

McGregor's super-stardom took UFC into the stratosphere... - made it a billion dollar business. There's a reason why Dana compares him to ALI... - because he wants to lick him every way he can.

Riiiiiiiight, so in the 3 years before Zuffa was sold at 4.2 Billion when McGregor began competing in UFC, he added all that value in that time, am I reading that right? Thats what you are saying?

If you don't know that the Fertittas are Dana White's bosses and let him know what's what - then I can't take you seriously!

What the hell does that even mean?

• Advertisement

You can't see anything in a 10k arena never mind 80k. It's the atmosphere and the "I was there" and insta posts

Attending any live sporting event is better than watching it on the telly. Bit snarky to say people go for the instagram posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement