Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If you don't know that the Fertittas are Dana White's bosses and let him know what's what - then I can't take you seriously!

With Dana, the Ferdittas wouldn't have bought UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dulux99 wrote: »
    Attending any live sporting event is better than watching it on the telly. Bit snarky to say people go for the instagram posts.

Leave out the part where I said atmosphere? It's mostly watched on the big screen in arenas. Hardly snarky. I'd prefer to be there myself than watch at home

Gintonious wrote: »
    What the hell does that even mean?

Noone knows what it means. It's provocative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Dana is a good promoter and outspoken representative. He hadn't any money to buy the UFC. The Fertittas did.
    He was basically a mouthpiece for the Fertittas - promoting THEIR ideas and contacting people instead of them.

Was Dana good at what he did? Yes. But it's much less than the role the Ferrittas played.
    Dana was never a REAL PRESIDENT of a company, and doesn't really govern anything.

Dana was a very lucky man to have been a childhood friend to the Ferrittas.

Look - some of the background of Lorenzo will give you an idea of their pull and weight in Nevada:

Former Chairman of the Nevada Resort Association
    Former Member of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (November 1996 to July 2000)
    Former Board Member with the American Gaming Association
    Former Advisory Board Member of Nevada First Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Dana is a good promoter and outspoken representative. He hadn't any money to buy the UFC. The Fertittas did.
    He was basically a mouthpiece for the Fertittas - promoting THEIR ideas and contacting people instead of them.

Was Dana good at what he did? Yes. But it's much less than the role the Ferrittas played.
    Dana was never a REAL PRESIDENT of a company, and doesn't really govern anything.

Dana was a very lucky man to have been a childhood friend to the Ferrittas.

Look - some of the background of Lorenzo will give you an idea of their pull and weight in Nevada:

Former Chairman of the Nevada Resort Association
    Former Member of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (November 1996 to July 2000)
    Former Board Member with the American Gaming Association
    Former Advisory Board Member of Nevada First Bank

We have reached peak delusion in this thread. Congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't see Mcgregor ever fighting in Croker or Aviva, but I do think he will fight here so they can sell that aspect of it: McGregor fights in Ireland, but I just think it would be down the Point like before.

Could always do what Don King did for Rumble in the Jungle and have the fight at 4am. Zaire is roughly the same time zone as us and so if it was good enough for one of the biggest ppv events in history, then I don't see why it wouldn't work for a UFC fight.

Not that I'm saying McGregor's on Ali's level but just logistically speaking, it could be done without taking all that big of a loss in buys, if any at all.

We have reached peak delusion in this thread. Congratulations.

Don't worry, I know my stuff and the history of the sport. I'll educate you yet. It'll be hard. But, I'm up for the battle.

Riiiiiiiight, so in the 3 years before Zuffa was sold at 4.2 Billion when McGregor began competing in UFC, he added all that value in that time, am I reading that right? Thats what you are saying?

How many times now have people said this...

McGregor has 4 - soon to have 5 of the top 12 PPV'S Fights of all time. One of them is over three times the previous Lesnar record. THREE TIMES. That adds astromically to the value of the sport. McGregor - one fighter - five times... colossal value.

ALL.THAT.VALUE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

dulux99 wrote: »
    I feel you're living up to your username at this point.

Anthony Joshua instagram followers - 7.8m
    Conor McGregor instagram followers - 28m

Since after the mendes fight he’s the biggest Irish sports star there is . This is from a guy who hates him and loves him at the same time

Don't worry, I know my stuff and the history of the sport. I'll educate you yet. It'll be hard. But, I'm up for the battle.

Serious question, you've been on boards 5 years and over 3000 posts, why have you been hiding all this wisdom from us? Could be wrong, but you've never posted on this forum until the khabib fight?

• Advertisement

Serious question, you've been on boards 5 years and over 3000 posts, why have you been hiding all this wisdom from us? Could be wrong, but you've never posted on this forum until the khabib fight?

I come on in fits and starts for a bit. I'll be gone soon enough again. You'll be relieved I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Could always do what Don King did for Rumble in the Jungle and have the fight at 4am. Zaire is roughly the same time zone as us and so if it was good enough for one of the biggest ppv events in history, then I don't see why it wouldn't work for a UFC fight.

One was a corrupt African dictatorship in 1974. The other is a (slightly less corrupt) Western democracy a couple of decades into the 21st century. Not quite comparing apples with apples.

There are laws and bylaws. Alcohol licensing. City council regulations. Residents. A fight in Dublin to suit US PPV time just isn't happening. Ever.

And you joined the board last year and started looking for advice about shaving or waxing your balls. What's your point?

And you joined the board last year and started looking for advice about shaving or waxing your balls. What's your point?

What has that to do with anything? I don't come on here out of the blue knowing all and claiming to educate everyone. It was a simple question and not aimed at you .

One was a corrupt African dictatorship in 1974. The other is a (slightly less corrupt) Western democracy a couple of decades into the 21st century. Not quite comparing apples with apples.

There are laws and bylaws. Alcohol licensing. City council regulations. Residents. A fight in Dublin to suit US PPV time just isn't happening. Ever.

Fcuking Ireland :( How come they can sort it in Manchester but not Dublin?

I know Croke Park can't happen but why not the 3Arena?

Take a joke, jesus. I can't throw in some comments and join the debate? Easy to ignore me.

You realise Manchester and Dublin are in two different countries, yes?

Fcuking Ireland :( How come they can sort it in Manchester but not Dublin?

I know Croke Park can't happen but why not the 3Arena?

There might have been an opportunity for McGregor to work something about Dublin into his last contract. Maybe he missed that trick or maybe he has given up on it.

Take a joke, jesus. I can't throw in some comments and join the debate? Easy to ignore me.

Wasnt anything against you. You are keeping the forum active which is good. Jist wondering why someone with a good knowledge of the sport and on here 5 years didn't bother to post here and noW has posted 100s of times in the last week. Just curious

Wasnt anything against you. You are keeping the forum active which is good. Jist wondering why someone with a good knowledge of the sport and on here 5 years didn't bother to post here and noW has posted 100s of times in the last week. Just curious

Missus kicked me out.

• Advertisement

Missus kicked me out.

I can give you good advice on shaving your balls

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I never mentioned the term Muslim. I said devout. It's clear I was talking about the image he presents to the media as a devout clean living man.
    You actually said a devout saint - which has specific religious connections.
    He doesn't drink alcohol because he is a muslim. Not because he is a clean living fitness fanatic.
    When has he ever said anything to portray an image of clean living?
    You know all of this of course, do you really lack the conviction to back what you said.

Islam and clean living aside, how does either one have anything to do with the steroid accusation?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can't see anything in a 10k arena never mind 80k. It's the atmosphere and the "I was there" and insta posts
    The "insta posts" bit sounds a bit dismissive tbh. Not sure if intentional.

The atmosphere and/or wanting to be present is the entire reason people go to almost all live sports. The view from the cheap seats will never be great.
    Steve wrote: »
    Genuine question:

If you go to a fight in an 80k arena, can you actually see anything?
    In a word, no. It's like watch two guys fighting in the missle of the pitch. You need to utilize the big screens. But that's not to suggest its anything like watching at home.
    Why did they not have the event last weekend in a bigger venue?
    T-Mobile is biggest venue in Vegas by a long way.
    Has there ever been a UFC event in a large stadium? It would also be worth taking into account that Croke Park would have a significantly bigger pitch than most stadia. Maybe the soccer pitches with the running tracks might be bigger.
    Yes. UFC 193 was in the MCG is Melbourne. Largest UFC attendance.
    It's a bigger than Croke Park. Pitch and Stadium.

There might have been an opportunity for McGregor to work something about Dublin into his last contract. Maybe he missed that trick or maybe he has given up on it.

The fact he floated the idea at the first presser says to me he hasn't given up.

If his next fight does as well as his previous ones, he'll renegotiate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

The fact he floated the idea at the first presser says to me he hasn't given up.

If his next fight does as well as his previous ones, he'll renegotiate again.

He will continuously peg the idea, he 100% wants it to happen before he retires but it just wont happen, if he gets over the hurdle of UFC agreeing it he then has to get DCC to agree to it, if they cancelled a country star aimed at over 50's it wont happen having an event like this. Add in the IMMA and politicians against it.

On Rogans podcast even kavanagh was talking about his meetings with politicians this week and how south it can go after the incidents the weekend.

The point depot could be made possible, id give this a 50/50 chance, but again it has to be at 3am for American PPV which is the main stumbling block.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Steve wrote: »
    Genuine question:

If you go to a fight in an 80k arena, can you actually see anything?

Just going on experience of rugby matches in the aviva where it's just possible to see whats going on from 10 rows back - if the play is near you. Those up in the nosebleeds wouldn't have a hope.

Surely there comes a point that you may as well just watch it on telly?

As people have stated before its the atmosphere, if your tickets are 40 or 400 likelyhood your looking at the screen, anything outside the VIP really.

I went to the Joshua fight a few weeks ago, got the cheapest tickets,flights and hotel and it cost me €140.

Originally i was going to belfast for frampton fight but it was costing €150 for flight,ticket and hotel, but didnt bother when a bigger event was on 30 minute flight away.

I knew id be looking at the screen but like matches you go for the "matchday experience", the build up and being away from the missus for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Alright mods can we get some ****ing action in here.. I mean i expected the thread to be **** for days but come on im having to read about fooooookers waxing and shaving their balls in the mcgregor thread...

So does anyone expect to see Conor fighting in the next 6 months? I hate that he is only in big fights from here on out most likely. Best timeline for the UFC would likely be Khabib suspended for 9 months which will bring him up to Ramadan so in turn McGregor will have to fight Ferguson and then possibly the winner of that takes on Khabib.

Also re watched the fight twice now, one time without commentary. Felt it was a different fight compared to watching it live. Seemed like a very comfortable fight for Khabib but McGregor didnt do as bad as people are making out. Finally i hated seeing all the fouls / cheating.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that we will see him before the end of the year, but not for a belt.
    He didn't get any injuries in that fight, so he should be able to get back into camp. Before the fight he was talking about fighting again this year.

But Kavanaugh was saying that he would be looking for Paddy's weekend.

Mellor wrote: »
    You actually said a devout saint - which has specific religious connections.
    He doesn't drink alcohol because he is a muslim. Not because he is a clean living fitness fanatic.
    When has he ever said anything to portray an image of clean living?
    You know all of this of course, do you really lack the conviction to back what you said.

Islam and clean living aside, how does either one have anything to do with the steroid accusation?

Saint has many usages besides a strictly religious meaning. 'Oh, he 's a right saint.' 'Ah, he's a saint.' Doesn't mean he/she goes to church.

I don't care why he doesn't drink. Or what religion he practices. Couldn't care less.

I've backed everything I've said in many posts. He is on the dirty payroll, he has gangster and blood money connections. He has links to very dodgy people. He publicly backs highly questionable people. He goes missing for long periods of time - doesn't fight much. He comes from a place where national doping programmes run.

Now, maybe, you are struggling to come to terms with the fact that your squeaky clean hero has dodgy links but there's nothing I can do to help you. Best of luck with it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MarkJD wrote: »
    Alright mods can we get some ****ing action in here.. I mean i expected the thread to be **** for days but come on im having to read about fooooookers waxing and shaving their balls in the mcgregor thread...

So does anyone expect to see Conor fighting in the next 6 months? I hate that he is only in big fights from here on out most likely. Best timeline for the UFC would likely be Khabib suspended for 9 months which will bring him up to Ramadan so in turn McGregor will have to fight Ferguson and then possibly the winner of that takes on Khabib.

Also re watched the fight twice now, one time without commentary. Felt it was a different fight compared to watching it live. Seemed like a very comfortable fight for Khabib but McGregor didnt do as bad as people are making out. Finally i hated seeing all the fouls / cheating.

Ya rewatched it too McGregor did well in the 3rd round, his striking was much more accurate but he was absolutely exhausted at this stage so very little power or snap in those shots. Took zero damage in the 1st round too. 2nd was a really bad round for him though.

As soon as the NSAC sort out Khabib they'll go to the table about the rematch. NSAC said they'll sort it quick as they have with held a fighters full purse so it needs to be expedited. Then it all depends on when their next Vegas event is once Khabib's suspension is served.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement