Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya rewatched it too McGregor did well in the 3rd round, his striking was much more accurate but he was absolutely exhausted at this stage so very little power or snap in those shots. Took zero damage in the 1st round too. 2nd was a really bad round for him though.

As soon as the NSAC sort out Khabib they'll go to the table about the rematch. NSAC said they'll sort it quick as they have with held a fighters full purse so it needs to be expedited. Then it all depends on when their next Vegas event is once Khabib's suspension is served.
    He actually done reasonably well in the second considering his position. Managed to keep him from proper mauling him and a lot of the shots were either blocked, slipped, or not very damaging. It absolutely sapped his energy defending that position though, and that was the beginning of the end.

Although, it also tired Khabib, so there is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Ya rewatched it too McGregor did well in the 3rd round, his striking was much more accurate but he was absolutely exhausted at this stage so very little power or snap in those shots. Took zero damage in the 1st round too. 2nd was a really bad round for him though.

As soon as the NSAC sort out Khabib they'll go to the table about the rematch. NSAC said they'll sort it quick as they have with held a fighters full purse so it needs to be expedited. Then it all depends on when their next Vegas event is once Khabib's suspension is served.

Meeting to take in November I heard somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He actually done reasonably well in the second considering his position. Managed to keep him from proper mauling him and a lot of the shots were either blocked, slipped, or not very damaging. It absolutely sapped his energy defending that position though, and that was the beginning of the end.

A rematch with proper training and no rust would be very hard to call.

People been too harsh on his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

All that said, it's also highly conceivable and possible a rematch could go worse than the first. That's the nature of fighting someone like Khabib.

As someone else noted earlier in the thread, assumedly they both showed up fit and ready to go on fight night and the result was decisive, with the better man prevailing. Aside from the monetary incentive on behalf of the UFC, why the fan chatter to see this re-run right now?

Even in consideration of the money angle, I think the UFC benefits from giving this some steam and allowing any rematch to build, ie let khabib defend, let Conor put himself in title contention again and then you've something massively marketable on your hands. Of course no certainty with trying to engineer such a narrative, but UFC have a bit of form for this kind of thing.

All that said, it's also highly conceivable and possible a rematch could go worse than the first. That's the nature of fighting someone like Khabib.

As someone else noted earlier in the thread, assumedly they both showed up fit and ready to go on fight night and the result was decisive, with the better man prevailing. Aside from the monetary incentive on behalf of the UFC, why the fan chatter to see this re-run right now?

Even in consideration of the money angle, I think the UFC benefits from giving this some steam and allowing any rematch to build, ie let khabib defend, let Conor put himself in title contention again and then you've something massively marketable on your hands. Of course no certainty with trying to engineer such a narrative, but UFC have a bit of form for this kind of thing.

Mostly because of the way the fight ended. People want more drama - and the UFC brass know that's what will sell to a much wider audience than the UFC hardcore. You get your scrap and you can your dose of coronation street in the lead up and post fight. Some craic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tazzimus wrote: »

Nonsense. The layoff may have had an effect (something I raised a few days before the fight but a LOT of people on here dismissed it as not a concern) but what wasn't "proper" about his training?

If a rematch is made, Khabib will open as a very heavy favourite. There was nothing in the fight on Saturday to suggest that a rematch would be "hard to call". Anyone claiming they believe McGregor would win a rematch is doing so through irrational, emotional support for him, not rational thought based on the evidence of the fight we've already seen.

What's the betting on Dana setting up a fight card that includes three or four lads from SBG take on three or four lads from Eagles MMA Team?

That's the first thing that came to my mind when Dana said the two boys who hopped in the cage and threw slaps would never fight in the UFC again. He'll have them fight Artem and Danis on a Khabib v Conor rematch card and watch the millions roll in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You also run the risk of McGregor losing against say Khabib or Khabib losing to Ferguson. I know the bad blood is there but you could equally hurt the promotion of it not moving on it now. They'll do just what they did with Diaz, they won't wait around unless Khabib gets a ridiculous suspension.

What's the betting on Dana setting up a fight card that includes three or four lads from SBG take on three or four lads from Eagles MMA Team?

Highly unlikely I'd have thought. McGregor is a star. Khabib is significantly less of a star. Everyone else is a nobody when it comes to trying to sell anything.

Besides, is there anyone in SBG deserving (not that deserve would have anything to do with it) of a UFC call up?

Highly unlikely I'd have thought. McGregor is a star. Khabib is significantly less of a star. Everyone else is a nobody when it comes to trying to sell anything.

Besides, is there anyone in SBG deserving (not that deserve would have anything to do with it) of a UFC call up?

Yeah, but Conor would headline.... duuuuuuuuuuuh

• Advertisement

Yeah, but Conor would headline.... duuuuuuuuuuuh

Ok, all your snarkiness aside, I'll be even clearer for you. It'll not happen because nobody would give a ****.

Also, Danis is under contract with Bellator in case you hadn't noticed. As is Gallagher.

Nobody else in SBG belongs on anything higher than a BAMMA, or what's left of it, card at this stage.

Ok, all your snarkiness aside, I'll be even clearer for you. It'll not happen because nobody would give a ****.

Also, Danis is under contract with Bellator in case you hadn't noticed. As is Gallagher.

Nobody else in SBG belongs on anything higher than a BAMMA, or what's left of it, card at this stage.

Oh, I'm the one who is being snarky? haha

You know that fighters change promotions? Yeah? Coker is lovely about letting fighters go...

Who cares about the standard? You think Dana let's a fighter's standard of skill get in the way of making money? Ever heard of CM Punk and that fiasco?

MMA hardcore wouldn't give a ****e. But that ****e would sell - be very easy to promote to a wide audience.

I threw it out as a possibility... - but let's get snarky hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't care why he doesn't drink. Or what religion he practices. Couldn't care less.
    I never said you care.
    I'm saying you understand why he doesn't, but maybe I was giving you too much credit.
    I've backed everything I've said in many posts. He is on the dirty payroll, he has gangster and blood money connections. He has links to very dodgy people. He publicly backs highly questionable people. He goes missing for long periods of time - doesn't fight much. He comes from a place where national doping programmes run.
    I notice you left out the Muslim connection this time. Point proven I suppose.
    Now, maybe, you are struggling to come to terms with the fact that your squeaky clean hero has dodgy links but there's nothing I can do to help you. Best of luck with it! :)
    I think your the one struggling tbh.
    I ask how was Islam relevant to a doping discussion. I said nothing about whether Khabib (or other Russian) would.

Mellor wrote: »
    I never said you care.
    I'm saying you understand why he doesn't, but maybe I was giving you too much credit.

I notice you left out the Muslim connection this time. Point proven I suppose.

I think your the one struggling tbh.
    I ask how was Islam relevant to a doping discussion. I said nothing about whether Khabib (or other Russian) would.

I never linked a Muslim or Islam to doping. You did.

That's the first thing that came to my mind when Dana said the two boys who hopped in the cage and threw slaps would never fight in the UFC again. He'll have them fight Artem and Danis on a Khabib v Conor rematch card and watch the millions roll in.

No one from SBG besides Conor should be near the UFC. Charlie Ward was an embarassment and Artem holds a mighty 14-13-1 record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

No one from SBG besides Conor should be near the UFC. Charlie Ward was an embarassment and Artem holds a mighty 14-13-1 record.

Artem is the GOAT

That's not my question! I'm clearly no asking that. Besides Dana has consistently shown he doesn't care about the standard when money is to be made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqKvOZZqJNE

Artem is the GOAT

He is and I suppose what we love about him is he's a warrior, the man is never finished, constant UD against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I never linked a Muslim or Islam to doping. You did.
    Khabib is a Muslim.
    You linked Khabib to doping.

To be clear, before you come with something else. I disagree in general with flaky links to doping. But I really don't see how Khabib's non-drinking Muslim status has to do with it.

Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib is a Muslim.
    You linked Khabib to doping.

hahaha Nice logic.

Khabib is an individual to me. I've no interest in his religion or drinking - and none of my posts have any interest in his religion. This forum is not the place for such discussion. It's about MMA.

You're continually seeing and interpreting something in my posts that is simply not there. If that's your bugbear keep it up. But nothing to do with me.

• Advertisement

That's not my question! I'm clearly no asking that. Besides Dana has consistently shown he doesn't care about the standard when money is to be made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqKvOZZqJNE

True but punk was a hugely popular pro wrestler, Dana did it to sell a few PPV to the wrestling crowd. Bellator is the best them lads in Concorde deserve to be. The thoughts of Queally, Danis on a UFC card is awful.

True but punk was a hugely popular pro wrestler, Dana did it to sell a few PPV to the wrestling crowd. Bellator is the best them lads in Concorde deserve to be. The thoughts of Queally, Danis on a UFC card is awful.

It is awful. But those guys put themselves on everyone's lips. And it's all over the media. The UFC sniffs at every opportunity - I wouldn't be surprised if they're considering it.

And Danis, deluded as he is, is doing everything he can to link himself to the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ray Longo was on Florian & Aniks podcast a couple of days ago. One of his points was saying McG won't ever win a 5 round match again (previously he said never win another match again, so he changed his tune from 5 rounds to 3 rounds).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Longo has always shat on Conor. I just dont think he likes the promotional side and cant see through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

To be honest Artem is a great fighter for the UFC to have on their books because he will stand and swing. Put him with another guy who will stand and swing, and you have a very entertaining fight with a KO.

Put him against a wrestler or BBJ guy and ya it's gonna be a bit sh1t.

They should keep him and put him against bums for Irish cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

MarkJD wrote: »
    Longo has always shat on Conor. I just dont think he likes the promotional side and cant see through it.

Chael Sonnen gives his opinion on his latest podcast. For my money, Chael has the best understanding of meta game of promotion, PPV buys, etc.
    https://www.podcastone.com/chaelsonnen
    I need to re-listen, but I think he said McGregor took the 3rd round on the judges score cards. Does that make it the first round Khabib has lost or does it not count since it didn't go the distance?

It was, officially, the first round he's lost in his UFC career.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

It was, officially, the first round he's lost in his UFC career.

Que the 'But Khabib just let him win that round' .....

Khabib was just taking that round off to regroup.... hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

More like Que the " I don't think Khabib cares in the slightest"

I have heard Khabib say multiple times that he is undefeated I have never heard him say that he has never lost a round or that he cares about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement