Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He probably realised 'oh maybe Danis isn't a bigger better version of Khabib'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Who is he and where is he saying that?

Intellectually bereft gaa player from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nothing happened. People looking for excuses for the mauling.

What are they saying happened ?
    Pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

froog wrote: »
    that or he just had that fed up of fighting feeling he had before.

He was fed up of fighting? Possibly, can't be easy to stay focused all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

One thing that stood out to me was how emotional Conor was at the night weigh in - there was no savage intensity to the screams - and he got emotional near the end of the second scream almost like he couldn't believe he had finally returned. He was happy. Touched by the adulation. Doesn't suggest focus or being there for the right reason.

But, you can read too much into these things. It's just an exterior facial expression and emotion in the moment. He's a professional. But he is human.

He lost a fight, far and square. End of. Khabib had the right game plan and executed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Maybe the comings and goings were cause he was being diva making demands thats why all the comings and going? Im sure if you standing in cage cross from khabib whatever issues you had backstage are forgotten.

Look conor lost lads to a beast no shame in it and if khabib looked off it wouldnt be mentioned on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

One thing that stood out to me was how emotional Conor was at the night weigh in - there was no savage intensity to the screams - and he got emotional near the end of the second scream almost like he couldn't believe he had finally returned. He was happy. Touched by the adulation. Doesn't suggest focus or being there for the right reason.

But, you can read too much into these things. It's just an exterior facial expression and emotion in the moment. He's a professional. But he is human.

He lost a fight, far and square. End of. Khabib had the right game plan and executed.
    Sensible post alert !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I don't see why people are saying "The McGregor juggernaut is over" and so on in relation to this. I hear a lot of talk about how this is his third UFC-era defeat, but realistically IMO it only properly counts as his first. Diaz I involved moving up an entire weight class at ridiculously short notice, and Mayweather was a boxing bout he was never likely to win to begin with. This is the first time since he started his UFC career that he's lost a bout simply because the other guys outclassed him, but all other factors were equal. He was at a disadvantage from the get-go in his other two losses, they were special cases.

So in my view, the hype for his next fight will be immense. It's going to be spun as a comeback story, two years out of the UFC and a very personal defeat, now the former king has to battle his way back to the top before he can challenge the throne again. Isn't that the kind of story the media and casual fans absolutely adore?

For longtime UFC fans in general, the awe of McGregor has certainly been dented by this. But McGregor's hype was always about more than just general UFC fans, he has his own following and his own hype which draws in people who've never watched any other MMA fight in their lives. This is where the money is made, and this is not going to go away. If anything, suffering a genuine defeat helps the cause by injecting a ridiculous amount of motivation and 'story' into his next fight.

Now, if it happens again, that'll be a different story. Especially if it happens relatively soon after this defeat. Then it goes from being a once-off chapter narrative, to a narrative of "he's past his prime, the McGregor train is over".

Those writing off his star power after this one defeat are being incredibly premature. His next fight will be spun majestically by the UFC and by Conor himself, and the hype will be just as huge as it was for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Personally I don't see why people are saying "The McGregor juggernaut is over" and so on in relation to this. I hear a lot of talk about how this is his third UFC-era defeat, but realistically IMO it only properly counts as his first. Diaz I involved moving up an entire weight class at ridiculously short notice, and Mayweather was a boxing bout he was never likely to win to begin with. This is the first time since he started his UFC career that he's lost a bout simply because the other guys outclassed him, but all other factors were equal. He was at a disadvantage from the get-go in his other two losses, they were special cases.

So in my view, the hype for his next fight will be immense. It's going to be spun as a comeback story, two years out of the UFC and a very personal defeat, now the former king has to battle his way back to the top before he can challenge the throne again. Isn't that the kind of story the media and casual fans absolutely adore?

For longtime UFC fans in general, the awe of McGregor has certainly been dented by this. But McGregor's hype was always about more than just general UFC fans, he has his own following and his own hype which draws in people who've never watched any other MMA fight in their lives. This is where the money is made, and this is not going to go away. If anything, suffering a genuine defeat helps the cause by injecting a ridiculous amount of motivation and 'story' into his next fight.

Now, if it happens again, that'll be a different story. Especially if it happens relatively soon after this defeat. Then it goes from being a once-off chapter narrative, to a narrative of "he's past his prime, the McGregor train is over".

Those writing off his star power after this one defeat are being incredibly premature. His next fight will be spun majestically by the UFC and by Conor himself, and the hype will be just as huge as it was for this fight.

i reckon he'd walk through ferguson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Those writing off his star power after this one defeat are being incredibly premature. His next fight will be spun majestically by the UFC and by Conor himself, and the hype will be just ase huge as it was for this fight.

Shark. Jumped. Whatever about the Mayweather circus. He lost to Diaz fair and square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Helwani is about to go on sports center with news regarding Khabib vs Conor....could Diarmo have been spot on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Shark. Jumped. Whatever about the Mayweather circus. He lost to Diaz fair and square.

He lost to Diaz after training for several months for a bout at lightweight and agreeing to bulk up to Welterweight in just ten days. The fight itself was a fair fight but the circumstances of it were extraordinary. Going up a weight class and training for a different opponent in ten days is not a normal UFC fight, the odds were stacked against him from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There are people on here who have been waiting over 5 years to write McGregor off.

Holloway was hand-picked despite Max going on to become one of the best in the UFC, the win against Mendes was due to short notice, Aldo was a lucky punch, he was found out against Diaz the first time, the second fight was then a lucky decision, I can’t even remember the excuses for the Eddie fight but he was probably also hand-picked or something.

Let them have their moment they’ve been waiting half a decade for.

Regardless, even if Conor was to go out and lose another day two fights in a row and called it quits (which is very conceivable), it will never take away what he achieved at the pinnacle of this sport.

If the run is over, it has been an all-time great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm not sure why any of that - people coming in and out of a locker room - would cause him to change his pick though.

That's what he initially said, he saw something that caused him to change his pick to Khabib.

Hard to know what Anik meant but it sure did seem more like an after party before the fight than the atmosphere you'd expect in a locker room before one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bor5wsPnksZ/

dulux99 wrote: »
    Helwani is about to go on sports center with news regarding Khabib vs Conor....could Diarmo have been spot on?

Probably about suspensions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hard to know what Anik meant but it sure did seem more like an after party before the fight than the atmosphere you'd expect in a locker room before one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bor5wsPnksZ/

circus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

circus

My mistake, seems that was the night of the weigh in.

Even still. You'd hope for a bit more tension than that. It's like a party. Hangin' wit Drake...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Even still. You'd hope for a bit more tension than that. It's like a party. Hangin' wit Drake...

Have a word with him and while your at it tell erin not to ever sing again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,299 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib is an individual to me. I've no interest in his religion or drinking - and none of my posts have any interest in his religion. This forum is not the place for such discussion. It's about MMA.
    You brought up his non-drinking with some nonsense "clean living" label :confused:
    I agree it's not the place, which is why I called you on it. Good that you've distanced yourself from it. Lets move on.
    That round was razor close in fairness. Khabib landed a couple of flush shots
    It wasn't close. Conor landed twice as many strikes and stuffed 3 takedowns. (Stikes landed in rd 1 were razor v.close).
    Unless people actively score it as the found unfolds, then they to let the overall fight influence scoring.
    You see this all in time in close fights, with clear rounds. People are bias towards the guy who does well overall if they don;t score the roudns as they go.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Plus if he was to be let go Bellator would bend over backwards and throw some serious money at him and his team mates
    If he walks, he is still in contract to the UFC. He'd be fighting in M1 Global or Rizin.

He lost to Diaz after training for several months for a bout at lightweight and agreeing to bulk up to Welterweight in just ten days
    Changing the fight to WW was Conor's idea. after Diaz said he couldn't make 160. In hindsight, it was a bit reckless considering he had been fighting at 145 3 months previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Who is he and where is he saying that?

He's the GAA player that went to court for smashing some a guys orbital bone outside a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

When people say they thought something wasn't the norm or was off.
    I had similar thinkings:
    When Drake had the flag, at the ceremonial weigh-in, I thought that was a break from the norm
    When he did his walkout, he did not do the usual stare thing he does at the camera. But then again he may have done a variant of it.
    And in the ring at the announcement, he definitely did not look as focused compared with alverez fight -  watching his opponent constantly, conserving his energy(this may be a stretch)

Its funny its probably apart of me that just want to find an excuse for him. And there may or may not have been something, we may never know. Obviously, you can read into these things too much. But it is interesting the affect it has on you/me. :) Even when that bull rumour from that gaa player I was strangely hoping it might be true. But when all is said and the done the best man won, and quite convincingly, but not as convincingly after rewatching it, but still a dominant performance. 
    I just can't see Conor ever having much pop in his shots after the 2nd round. Not that there is much to base this on but given what we have seen so far, his next few fights could be tough because of this. I hope I am wrong. And I am not trying to discredit what he has done to date!
    Re drake carrying the Irish flag, it stinks of the celebrity nonsense that I did not think that Conor was into. I know he has gone more that way but that is generally money related. its an irish flag and drake is not irish. Don't get me wrong the Irish flag is not that big of a deal, I just thought it was more a break from the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Serious question, you've been on boards 5 years and over 3000 posts, why have you been hiding all this wisdom from us? Could be wrong, but you've never posted on this forum until the khabib fight?

In fairness i wouldnt blame him im a big MMA fan, but anytime i pop into this thread its mostly bickering. Theres a Few good posters that know their stuff the rest is utter tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He lost to Diaz after training for several months for a bout at lightweight and agreeing to bulk up to Welterweight in just ten days. The fight itself was a fair fight but the circumstances of it were extraordinary. Going up a weight class and training for a different opponent in ten days is not a normal UFC fight, the odds were stacked against him from the beginning.
    He didn't bulk up to welterweight, he just didn't cut much, if any, weight.
    His normal weight is around the 170 mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thebull85 wrote: »
    In fairness i wouldnt blame him im a big MMA fan, but anytime i pop into this thread its mostly bickering. Theres a Few good posters that know their stuff the rest is utter tripe.

^^^ Agreed.

I come here when I'm utterly bored and really just skip to contributions from two posters.

And I used to moderate this place, myself & Paul Cowzer (Rush Fight Academy) got it off the ground. The bickering & UFC/CmcG fanboy adulation burned us both out, and we've been around the Irish MMA scene from the beginning lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I watched the show again.

I agree with a lot who say that he looked off throughout...

The actual fight? He was not really sharp. Slow striking. Previous fights his hands and reactions were noticeably faster...

Still think the old Conor from 2/3 years ago does a lot better..or at least gives himself the chance at doing a lot better.

The Conor from Saturday wins 1/10 fights with Khabib, maybe less.......The Conor from 2015/2016 wins 5/10 and possibly more....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

walshb wrote: »
    I watched the show again.

I agree with a lot who say that he looked off throughout...

The actual fight? He was not really sharp. Slow striking. Previous fights his hands and reactions were noticeably faster...

Still think the old Conor from 2/3 years ago does a lot better..

Round 3 Conor struggled to deal with how khabib pulls back his head while retreating as a means of striking defense. He couldn't land clean, struggled with the range. Don't understand how he had no answer for that kind of basic defense, bad coaching or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

^^^ Agreed.

I come here when I'm utterly bored and really just skip to contributions from two posters.

And I used to moderate this place, myself & Paul Cowzer (Rush Fight Academy) got it off the ground. The bickering & UFC/CmcG fanboy adulation burned us both out, and we've been around the Irish MMA scene from the beginning lol.

The forum itself harbors plenty of good discussion. It's just the CMcG threads that self destruct with vitriol and constant sniping. I agree that is tiresome, but it doesn't really permeate into the rest of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

walshb wrote: »
    Still think the old Conor from 2/3 years ago does a lot better..

His striking would have been a lot sharper, and he'd have stood a better chance of KO'ing Khabib. But his wrestling was worse than it is now, so Khabib would probably have made road kill of him sooner.

We all suffer defeats, they suck. Sh*t happens and you move on.

But after the sh*t talk, bullying and downright mean, nasty & scummy things CmcG said to Khabib he deserves this humiliation.

I've either ignored or excused his behavior for years, but he over stepped the mark on this one big time.

I'm now longer in the MMA scene, I haven't been in an MMA club in over three years but I'm still coaching Judo (and some BJJ in work). If I seen one of my lads carry on like that he'd be ran out of the club in a heartbeat.

Disgusting, and a well deserved and long over due humiliation IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement