Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I absolutely hate when fighters go for that flashy knee ko against a takedown attempt from a top wrestler. Amazing when you pull it off but it's too to rare and risky. Like when Conor went for it against Chad, I really cringed. Same with Mir Lesnar 2. Frank actually hurt brock with it but he was pinned underneath him and got mauled. Yeah, every round starts standing but getting grinded on for 5 minutes will zap you.

Same with guillotine attempts, absolutey amazing when you pull out off but most cases end up with your arm bolloxed and a guy on top pummeling you.

Not everyone can be Yoel Romero!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JamToastButter

Visited a friend in hospital and he typed out this heap of an essay. Says he hasn't forgotten the empathy & kindness shown to him from his friends on here.

Conor put in an immense performance on many levels and I think with the benefit of time his performance will be upgraded. Right now the prevailing opinion is "Conor got mauled" and that perception (as usual) is fueled by Joe Rogan's commentary.

But that narrative doesn't hold up under a minimum amount of scrutiny. Yes it was a finish and a clean, deserved victory but it was far from a mauling and there's a lot that Conor did that points to him still retaining championship hopes for the future.

The overall strike stats can be misleading but they're at least consistently measured so there is some merit in taking a look.

Total strikes landed:

Khabib 154 Barboza 25 (15 mins)
    Khabib 172 Iaquinta 43 (25 mins)
    Khabib 104 McGregor 96 (18 mins)

I see 2 "maulings" above if we're viewing it in strike differential.

Josh Thomson on his podcast was absolutely raving about Conor's performance and this shocked me because he was disparaging and dismissive towards Conor before the fight.

His first words in the clip:

"I am more impressed with Conor as an athlete and as a fighter than ever before".

Thomson says he has sparred countless more rounds with Khabib than anyone in AKA over the years and some of the things Conor was able to do astonished him to the point he isn't confident the rematch goes the same way (he still thinks Khabib wins a rematch but isn't as confident of that).

He cited 3 specific things:

1. Conor's ability to free a leg.

He said Khabib has trapped the legs of Olympic wrestlers and BJJ black belts who couldn't get their legs free and he personally couldn't do it without an ordeal. For Conor to free his legs multiple times early on immediately impressed him.

2. His wrist control.

Khabib has been able to trap the far side wrist of Iaquinta, Barboza and Johnson. Conor's grip strength (according to Josh) must be incredible to do so well for so long and barely (if ever) giving up that position. Speculates Conor must have mallets for hands because his hand stretched around Khabib's wrist, whereas his own hand can't.

3. His ability to avoid shots on bottom.

Yes Khabib unloaded in round 2 but most of those strikes were landing on arms, shoulders and Khabib punched the mat a few times. Khabib usually slices through the guard, steps into side control, but Conor maintained guard effectively for long stretches. His face after the fight also bears no resemblance to how previous Khabib opponents looked. Iaquinta, Johnson and Barboza were black and blue whereas Conor had a tiny shiner.

Thomson was effusive in his praise for that ground defence. He added that Khabib's arms were gassed in round 3. His overall gas tank still there but his arms were heavy, not just from throwing so many ground n pound shots but from battling Conor's wrist control.

He ended the segment by saying he didn't previously understand why Poirier, Aldo and Alvarez didn't just grab Conor and throw him around. He now feels he understands why.

Conor "looking off"

A lot has been said about this. He did at least 4 things differently during fight week that he did not do in his last few victories. Why he did it and what impact this had I don't know.

The most important of those differences in my view was his:

1. Arrival time at the venue on fight night.

For UFC 202 and 205 we have footage from Owen Roddy of Big John McCarthy giving his rules breakdown to Conor in the locker room.

At UFC 202, Conor is already undressed and wearing his fight gear as John's giving those instructions and we can see Sabah Homasi vs Tim Means on the telly in the background grappling on the mat, before the round ends.

So that's the first round of the first Main Card fight and Conor's stripped and already warming up.

At UFC 205, we see Conor is in a shirt during the instructions, getting a massage from Sergey, and we can hear on the telly in the background Rogan and Goldie giving their intro package to the PPV.

So that's before the Main Card even starts.

After a bit of digging, his arrival times at the venue (Irish time):

UFC 202: 2:11am
    UFC 205: 2:13am
    UFC 229: 3:14am.

He was shown on the Big Screen arriving at the venue in between rounds 1 and 2 of Lewis-Volkov (3:39am) but he was pictured arriving at 3:14am.

This might be meaningless to some. But I'm sure the UFC and the Nevada State Athletic Commission were having absolute kittens that he wasn't at the venue a good three quarters of an hour before the Main Card started.

Herb Dean was the ref for Lewis-Volkov which was 2nd fight up on the Main Card. Logistically speaking I am not sure he was able to give Conor his rules instructions before that fight.

That hour difference in arrival time is obviously an hour less for Conor to work with for wrapping hands, for warming up, for flow sparring, etc but it's also an hour less for the ref and commission.

Bob Bennett of NSAC is always in the locker room during refs initial rule instructions for Main Event but he was pictured cageside for Lewis-Volkov. It would appear to me that both the ref and commission had to scramble and leg it backstage after that fight.

Whether this is part of the "chaos" Anik alluded to I don't know but I can see how it would be a fairly frantic or rushed atmosphere back there. I saw one report/rumour that Conor Jr. was in the locker room bawling before being taken elsewhere. Might be complete heresay but a crying baby would help create an impression of chaos also.

2. He has a baby now. Obvious difference but at this point we have to note he's 0-2 while having a child. Granted those losses were Floyd and Khabib so we can't draw much inference but we can recall his UFC 194 interview with Ariel where he said having children is a negative for fighters.

Plenty of champions have children - Jon Jones, Khabib, Woodley, DC - but none of them ever publicly stated views like Conor did.

3. He has only twice smiled *immediately when stepping on the scale* during Official Weigh Ins. The first time was UFC 196 and the second time was UFC 229. He lost both fights obviously and armchair psychology can get ridiculous but still he's 0-2 when smiling on the scale.

I'm not sure if the smile is overconfidence or insecurity but I'm leaning towards insecurity.

4. Having looked through every single one of Conor's staredowns (as PPV headliner) as the fight begins, he has never broken eye contact with his opponent until Khabib. He broke eye contact and stared at the big screen instead.

All of the above can be chalked up as coincidences or just irrelevant nonsense but those are my observations.

Khabib:

The narrative that Khabib is some principled, respectful, professional man of honour is laughable.

Kadyrov believes in extrajudicial murders of gay people. Shortly after an estimated 56 people were murdered in a single night by Kadyrov's goons, Khabib showed up with Kadyrov to that kids MMA fight where 8 year old kids battered each other.

That's not any type of "principles" I can relate to.

Conor gets a ton of abuse for a lot he does (much of it justified) including his perceived casual racism towards Nate and Floyd.

Khabib isn't above casual racism either. On the conference call for Khabib-Ferguson, lets not forget Khabib said this:

"I think you're a cleaner. You make no money fighting so I think you clean houses"

You can't get more casually racist that calling a Mexican a cleaner and FYI Ferguson took it as racist in his reply to him: "yeah I'm a Mexican beaner I don't give a f*** what you say".

In terms of trash talk, the short term memories of people are astounding.

Khabib "I don't like trash talk" Nurmagomedov. The same Khabib that laid into Donald Cerrone and Anthony Pettis endlessly when he was injured in 2014 and early 2015. Calling Pettis a "paper champion playboy", Cerrone an "alcoholic fake Cowboy". When Pettis lost his belt, Khabib taunted him on The MMA Hour saying "Pettis is a prelim fighter, enjoy the prelims."

Why trash talk a man while he's down? Why revel in someone else's defeat?

He's not above weigh in antics either. He pushed Abel Trujillo at the weigh ins despite coming in overweight at 158.5 lbs himself.

He has a history of looking for trouble and starting/finding brawls.

He gave an interview a day before the WSOF event saying if Nate and Nick showed up to support Jake Shields that it would kick off. He ironically called the Diaz brothers "thugs" and made a disparaging comment about their parents

That's without getting into all the stuff he said about our country.

Conor was right about him.

Anyone who thinks it's ok to murder gay people or provide political cover for dictators who do it, IS backwards - regardless of religion.

He supports leaders who would gladly wipe western culture off the map and is 100% misogynistic to boot - he gave an interview saying girls make fighters weak.

Girls can be fighters too last time I checked.

I hope nobody is buying into this "humble" routine he has going on. His shilling for Kadyrov alone tells me all I need to know of his character. If Conor takes money from Putin and shills for him too, then I'll say the same of Conor too.

As for Zubaira Tukghov - the guy is just back from a 2 year USADA ban, popped for Ostarine, publicly says he's gonna jump Conor, then tries to jump him. Delighted Conor cracked him with a counter left.

The UFC is the least of Zubaira's worries. The NSAC are going to hammer everyone not named Conor or Khabib because that's the only way they can show strength. They dished out 5 years to Nick Diaz for weed, so I'm confident they'll hand out some crazy bans for undercard fighters like Zubaira for jumping the megastar who brings fortunes to the state of Nevada.

Conor:

One thing I keep coming back to with Conor is he has the heart of a lion until chokes are around his neck.

Anyone who withstands that 9th round against Floyd and doesn't quit, who withstands the 3rd round against Nate, anyone who fights for a world title on a dodgy knee, anyone who even accepts Khabib on the back of a 2 year layoff...

You can't question his heart.

What we can question is why he seems to give up to chokes without hand fighting. Him tapping isn't a big concern, it's that he seems to panic when an arm is around his neck.

I am not suggesting he could have escaped the neck crank or the rear naked choke from Nate. I'm saying his instinct was to tap rather than hand fight. And exhaustion plays a big role in both instances.

Still, you'd have to wonder if he has built up the muscle memory in training of those uncomfortable positions.

On his rise to glory the gym was full of strong minded individuals who didn't try copy Conor. The likes of Chris Fields, Tom Egan, Cathal Pendred.

Nowadays there is almost God-like worship and imitation of Conor.

He rolls with Dillon a lot but let's be real here - Conor is Dillon's hero. The last thing he wants to do is tap him out a dozen times a day and demoralise him (which he could easily do).

And yet when a fight comes and a choke is across the neck or under the chin, he almost instantly taps.

I question on a fundamental level if anyone is left in that gym willing to consistently challenge him in ways he needs to be challenged, whereas I have no doubt Pendred etc wouldn't give a bollox back in the day and would just go full pelt.

I'm also confused as to why Gunni Nelson played no role in this camp. He's fit as a fiddle and in the gym daily. Yes, Conor had Dillon and Dillon is an excellent wrestler as well as grappler. And yes Conor had the 2 young Moldovan's Kosti Gnusariov and Nikolay Grosdev.

I've no doubt those boys are good wrestlers. But the fact remains his key training partners for this fight ended up being Queally, Danis, Pascu, and 2 Moldovan's.

Queally and Danis are 1-0 combined at the top level of the fight game. That might be a harsh way of putting it but Queally has built his 11-4 at regional levels.

Surely what Conor needed in sparring for this was the best fighter SBG could get hold of, who is excellent on the ground... so the fact Gunni was not involved leads me to suspect he can't stomach the sycophant environment of a Conor camp.

Pure speculation there but I will say UFC 229 was the first fight ever that Gunni did not wish Conor good luck publicly on his instagram. Whatever that means.

Conor's grappling is excellent. His defensive jujitsu is very good. The way he kept guard for so long against Khabib was honestly extremely impressive given how easily Khabib has passed everyone else.

I am nitpicking here to a large degree but the insta-taps look like panic taps. With a bit more composure he would at least give it a few seconds of hand fighting.

Career wise the best move now is to allow Ferguson and Khabib to fight. If Khabib wins, the rematch is there whenever he wants it. If Ferguson wins he has a favorable stylistic match up.

I believe Conor can beat both of them.

I also believe he's a justifiable underdog against both and they can easily beat Conor too if he's not completely on it - actually even at his best. They're supremely gifted fighters all 3 of them.

I think Kevin Lee in time will smash all of them.

But Khabib could well be Conor's stylistic bogey man like Jones is for DC.

It's also possible the hunger just isn't there anymore. I got the vibe as soon as the fight started his instincts kicked in but right up until that he looked like a man who knew he was going home on a private plane with his child and pregnant partner, with all the riches he could ever need. He was more worried about how he looked on the Big Screen than how his opponent looked in front of him.

If he fights Khabib again, I would love to see him go nuts. Nuts as in implement some offensive wrestling. The power double he hit on Buchinger is in his locker and Khabib drags his back leg forward when winging haymakers, leaving him completely off balance. That takedown is there for Conor if he can get the timing down and his top pressure is excellent. Risky stuff I know but if he makes a mess of it he has shown he can survive for long periods under Khabib.

Part of me hopes he gets home, smells the fresh Kildare air and retires on the spot. Love him or hate him he has left an indelible mark on the sport and most of it positive.

The other part of me hopes he fights again but instead of the angry personal, political stuff we get a vintage build up like the build up to Mendes.

Laidback witty Conor > angry geopolitical Conor.

Reflecting on everything I believe the defeat will sting Conor badly because 2 of the 3 take downs Khabib landed came from unforced errors.

I believe the judges in Nevada going in had one scoring criteria for this fight and it was biased in Conor's favour.

Standing = Conor 10-9 or better.
    Mat = Khabib 10-9 or better.

I honestly believe Khabib would not have been given a single round standing - even if he shaded it - because the perception was so entrenched that Conor is far better on the feet (which he is).

It probably stings even more because his ground defence was so good, and takedown defence on point, that all he had to do was stay on his feet 3 rounds; and I believe he had the skills to do it - if only he executed better early on.

I don't get the chance to get a computer much and I'm not too well right now, so you can take this as 6 months worth of essays. I will catch up on replies in 2019 please God.

If anyone wants to watch the Khabib-Tibau fight back there's a funny little sequence. Khabib level changed into a winging overhand right. I think at the end of round 2. The same setup he caught Conor with.

Tibau slipped it effortlessly. I don't know why but the sight of a Hulk Tibau easily slipping it compared to Conor getting plastered just made me laugh, as you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Just shows how much easier it is when not worrying about the takedown.

Before I wrap this thesis up, there is 0% chance Conor said "it's only business" or "only business". The first word was longer than the second and besides that, Conor always says the word "business" with emphasis on the "Z" sound in business.

That's my Zapruder analysis.

Hope everyone has a great Xmas and New Years.

The UFC world featherweight of the championship guy.

Oh man, that lad made me laugh so hard. It was a bit on second captains for ages...

Pretty sure it was McGregor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bFLUjUVYo

Inspired by this, maybe,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ks4DLsHUc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Missed ya buddy!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Visited a friend in hospital and he typed out this heap of an essay. Says he hasn't forgotten the empathy & kindness shown to him from his friends on here.

Tell your friend hope he gets well soon and is looking after himself and to have a good Christmas and New years.

• Advertisement

That's my Zapruder analysis.

Hope everyone has a great Xmas and New Years.

Excellent post.

Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'm not pretending to know McGregor but this is just an observation... He genuinely seems a bit more passionate about his whiskey than he does about his fighting over the last few weeks. I get it, the business world must give you a thrill when you're flying like he probably is. Even his latest insta posts he seems in great form going to proper 12 meetings. Maybe fighting just doesn't do it for him like it used to. He set out to be a two weight UFC world champion, get the picture with both belts draped over his shoulder, and then fought Mayweather. He reached the top of the hill and maybe he just doesn't give much of a sh*te anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Regarding this whole debate of whether McGregor was humiliated or not.

I am neither a "fanboy" nor a "hater", but I am a big admirer of McGregor as a fighter. I think many of the criticisms of him are motivated by nothing more than personal antipathy. I can totally understand people not liking his persona, but a fight fan should be able to appreciate the fighter even if they don't care for the man himself. I have posted numerous times to rebut what I saw as attempts to downplay his achievements due to personal dislike, and I still stand by those posts. I think his achievements have been absolutely remarkable and deserve due recognition.

However for me there is no question that this was a humiliation for Conor. As people have pointed out earlier, when you take account of all that was said in the build up, it cannot be spun as anything other than that. Conor made things intensely personal, with insults about Khabibs family, his coach being a deadbeat dad, accusations of terrorism, denigrating comments about his culture, ethnicity and his religion. He raised the stakes dramatically with that bus attack which eroded a lot of goodwill toward him among his peers and fight fans. We had that photo call with Putin and Khabib apparently getting snubbed by his own president, which at the time seemed like a masterstroke. He went all in on this being a feud that would continue long after the fight, and publicly stated that he would maul Khabib before knocking him out in brutal fashion.

And then he went out and lost in the worst possible way, by getting beaten up badly before tapping out in front of the world. Given all that went before (95% of which was instigated by Conor) getting submitted was the absolute most humiliating way that this fight could end, because it essentially says "please no more. I give up." In a normal context there is zero shame in getting submitted, especially by a beast like Khabib. But when you raise the stakes the way McGregor did you absolutely need to back it up. So to then have your will broken and be absolutely humbled by your opponent to the point of surrender is as bad as it gets. At least if he got knocked out (even brutally like Sanchez against Brown) or choked out (like Holly against Miesha) you could say he went out on his shield, and that although he lost the fight he was not "defeated", at least in spirit. But there is no sugar coating the way he lost. It was a humiliation plain and simple.

In complete contrast, for Khabib it was total redemption in almost every way. He cemented his legacy as a true champion. There is no question who is the king at lightweight. He continues an astonishing unbeaten record that now looks far more legitimate. He shoved Conor's insults back down his throat in brutal fashion and won legions of new fans by giving Danis a concussion lol. To put the cherry on top, he even got feted as a national hero by Putin himself, in what can only be seen as a kind of poetic justice.

Make no mistake this was an absolutely terrible moment for Conor the fighter. He has lost his aura, his claim to be the champ and a huge amount of respect generally. Its not irretrievable however. There is a path back but its an enormously difficult one and would hinge on getting a rematch with Khabib and somehow managing to beat him. He did it before against Diaz. Can he do it again? I personally don't think so. Aside from the fact that McGregor looked much worse out there than I thought he would, I also think Khabib is just the better fighter and the tougher, stronger man. But who knows. As CM has said many times, its a crazy game. One thing is for sure however. He is still the PPV king and that still gives him enormous leverage in the UFC. Will he go the hard route and try to repair his legacy by taking on the best and regaining his belt, or will resign himself to being past his prime and start to cash out and take money fights against the Silvas or the Nates. Time will tell.

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Love him or loathe him or neither, it was an embarrassment/humiliation....

He got beaten well, and after all that horrible and hateful badgering......

Khabib was taking that seriously and personally, and so was Conor.....

Khabib was like a demon in there and wanted to really hurt Conor...

Khabib then went in there and subbed Conor, after giving him a "solid" beating during several moments in the fight....

People looking for positives here and there doesn't cut it. He was soundly beaten, even if he didn't get badly beaten up/brutalized....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

When you've slagged off a man's family, his nationality, his religion (I couldn't give a toss about religion, but religious people do) and all the other nasty crap he threw at Khabib, like telling him that he's a dead man, he was going to kill him etc etc etc... Then the same man crushes you and you give up without an attempt to defend the crank you're humiliated.

Oh come on, Mak, McGregor does that for all fights. He told Nate he was going to toy with him and that he was like an injured gazelle and that all his mates were going see him getting his carcass eaten alive etc etc. It's trash talk. He got choked out then too. By your measure he was humiliated there too.

When he moved over to boxing he said he was boxing and look at all the crap he said he'd do to Mayweather. You seem to think him saying he's going to butcher someone and then not doing it means he's then humiliated. Like he said, he'll dry his eyes with his money.

Khabib ain't no saint either you know. He's shoved opponents at face-offs, called Cowboy a fake who was always drunk, goading Nate which led to a bit of brawl and let's not forget he had a go at the Irish for speaking English and said that McGregor's grandfather had fought for the British and killed Irish people.... all of which I've no issue with but let's not pretend butter wouldn't melt.

There was also this when he was in NY:

https://twitter.com/TheMMABible/status/1026412643073044480

walshb wrote: »
    He was soundly beaten, even if he didn't get badly beaten up/brutalized....

Which is it? Make up your mind! Can't be both!

If it was one sided - it wasn't a good fight. If it's a humiliation someone has gotten destroyed.

Haven't heard one serious analyst use the word humiliated.

Humiliated? Was he knocked out? Was it a bloody mess?

Was DC humiliated against JJ? Was he head kicked into concussion? Was that a humiliation at the time? The same level as McGregor?

Reread the long post - the guy outlines the stats. McGregor hit Khabib way more than any opponent Khabib faced before.

The context of the **** talk is nothing. It means something to you and other posters because it offended you.

A humiliation is something like the wrestler v Mickey Gall. But even that is stretching to humiliation.

Cain V Lesnar - is that a humiliation? A first round destruction?

McGregor got beaten - he lost a fight.

Humiliation has no place in a discussion of that fight. The way you're stretching just means you really want it to be a humiliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Humiliated yet he beat Khabib in a round, something no one has ever managed.

If it was one sided - it wasn't a good fight. If it's a humiliation someone has gotten destroyed.

Haven't heard one serious analyst use the word humiliated.

Humiliated? Was he knocked out? Was it a bloody mess?

Was DC humiliated against JJ? Was he head kicked into concussion? Was that a humiliation at the time? The same level as McGregor?

Reread the long post - the guy outlines the stats. McGregor hit Khabib way more than any opponent Khabib faced before.

The context of the **** talk is nothing. It means something to you and other posters because it offended you.

A humiliation is something like the wrestler v Mickey Gall. But even that is stretching to humiliation.

Cain V Lesnar - is that a humiliation? A first round destruction?

McGregor got beaten - he lost a fight.

Humiliation has no place in a discussion of that fight. The way you're stretching just means you really want it to be a humiliation.

Look I want Conor to succeed as much as anyone, but you have to view the fight and the result in context. You cannot simply look at it in a vacuum.The humiliation doesn't come from the fight itself. There is no embarrassment from getting submitted by Khabib.

What makes it humiliating is getting submitted like that after all that came before. Conor got broken by the man that he denigrated and insulted to a degree we have never seen before. It was orders of magnitude more nasty, personal and dark than any of the examples you mentioned. When you up the ante like that you need to deliver. Instead he was forced to surrender in front of the biggest audience an mma fight has ever had. If thats not humiliating, then I really don't know what is.

I can understand why Conor and his coach would be keen not to dwell on the humiliation angle, and instead view events in a more positive and constructive light. Its important for the psychology of any fighter to use it as learning experience to further grow and develop and avoid any dis-empowering interpretations of what it means for them as an athlete. But to the rest of the world, its pretty clear what happened. If you lived under a rock and missed the build up to the fight, you could say there was nothing humiliating about it. But once you know the background, you cannot whitewash it and present it as just another fight. It wasn't. Without a doubt its the nadir of his career. The only question is where he goes from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Please tell him to look after himself. We're thinking about him. Been waiting months for this post.

Are you saying that you cannot be soundly beaten unless you are beaten up/brutalized?

Conor was not brutalized, but he was soundly beaten. Clear cut.....

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The subjective nature of the term "humiliation" is why so many disagree.

Khabib won convincingly, why isn't that enough for people?

The constant need for hyperbole around Conor astonishes me. When he wins he's automatically the P4P #1 and GOAT and when he loses he's a fraud who got humiliated.

Are you saying that you cannot be soundly beaten unless you are beaten up/brutalized?

Conor was not brutalized, but he was soundly beaten. Clear cut.....

I'm saying you're not humiliated if are not brutalised or made to look completely unskilled. You used the word humiliated, that has nothing to do with being beaten.

You said 'it was an embarrassment/humiliation....'

In a fight, how can you be humiliated without being brutalized or made to look completely unskilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

BigMo1 wrote: »
    The subjective nature of the term "humiliation" is why so many disagree.

Khabib won convincingly, why isn't that enough for people?

The constant need for hyperbole around Conor astonishes me. When he wins he's automatically the P4P #1 and GOAT and when he loses he's a fraud who got humiliated.

Is it hyperbole to say it was as one sided as the Iaquinta fight? Cos that's what I think.

I'm saying you're not humiliated if are not brutalised or made to look completely unskilled. You used the word humiliated, that has nothing to do with being beaten.

You said 'it was an embarrassment/humiliation....'

In a fight, how can you be humiliated without being brutalized or made to look completely unskilled?

No..

There are two elements here that you are missing..

The humiliation is not in losing a fight..

Look at all that went before the fight and then add in how Conor lost.

Soundly beaten AFTER all that real crass trash talking and insulting...

That is a humiliating loss.....at least it comes across that way to me..

Had Conor been more humble and respectful in his dealing with Khabiv, it would have been just another run of the the mill loss.

Conor set it up to be much more than that. He set himself up for a fall, and he fell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Humiliated yet he beat Khabib in a round, something no one has ever managed.

Yeah, he did well, but it's still laughable to be banging on about beating him in one round. He still lost the fight and it wasn't even close.

I think when people go on about the humiliation it's because of all the talk and lack of respect he showed to Khabib before he was beaten.

No..

There are two elements here that you are missing..

The humiliation is not in losing a fight..

Look at all that went before the fight and then add in how Conor lost.

Soundly beaten AFTER all that real crass trash talking and insulting...

That is a humiliating loss.....at least it comes across that way to me..

Had Conor been more humble and respectful in his dealing with Khabiv, it would have been just another run of the the mill loss.

Conor set it up to be much more than that. He set himself up for a fall, and he fell..

He sold a fight.

If you were offended or believed any of that, it's up to you. If you wanted to see him get beaten because of something crass he said, that's up to you.

I saw no humiliation in the fight. Anything anyone said I forgot about. Just well used to it now. A few things McGregor said against Aldo have stuck with me. But, I saw or heard nothing new in the lead up. It was all typical McGregor sell a fight stuff.

If McGrgeor set himself up for a fall and fell in humiliation and embarrassed - shouldn't those feelings be privy to him?

I'll leave it at that. I understand what you're saying but I don't really see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Get in, get rich, get out. Never said anything about going undefeated. All still going swimmingly to plan. Has at least another 50 mil fight in him likely.

Folk at turns offended/ defensive/offensive, depending on who's side you'e on. Everybody's entertained.

Prize fighting, suck it up, what do you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think the humiliation thing is a bit overrated. Ali said if Frazier beat him he'd crawl on his hands and knees to kiss his feet. Ali was well beaten and didn't do it.

McGregor needs the rematch. If he loses again - which is likely - then fair enough.

Its only a bit of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

So good to have you back dude. This needs to find its way over to reddit... Anyways hope your health improves and all the nest for the new year and xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭505_

He was beaten convincingly, humiliated is definitely overboard.

What is the obsession with the money he has made in every argument? Some fans like to use it as a defense for every loss. I don’t think anyone is disputing he has done extremely well and earned an insane amount of money. But when people debate top footballers or other sports people the amount of money they have is not mentioned. Maybe occasionally in boxing but that’s mayweather. McGregor did essentially take the mayweather blueprint and bring it to mma. A lot of people somehow don’t recognize this, maybe casuals/those not in to boxing at all. Even stuff like mayweather getting out of his own contract and promoting himself, mcgregor wanted to go down this route with “partners with the ufc”. He was smart to copy Floyd and it’s not easy to do either so he deserves credit for pulling it off. But I just find it very tiring that every argument or discussion seems to go back to how much money he has rather than on the actual sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

505_ wrote: »

What is the obsession with the money he has made in every argument? Some fans like to use it as a defense for every loss. I don’t think anyone is disputing he has done extremely well and earned an insane amount of money. But when people debate top footballers or other sports people the amount of money they have is not mentioned. Maybe occasionally in boxing but that’s mayweather. McGregor did essentially take the mayweather blueprint and bring it to mma. A lot of people somehow don’t recognize this, maybe casuals/those not in to boxing at all. Even stuff like mayweather getting out of his own contract and promoting himself, mcgregor wanted to go down this route with “partners with the ufc”. He was smart to copy Floyd and it’s not easy to do either so he deserves credit for pulling it off. But I just find it very tiring that every argument or discussion seems to go back to how much money he has rather than on the actual sport.

the money he has made singles him out more than anyone else in MMA, he is a trailblazer and for good or bad his legacy will last,

every footballer earns a fortune now and every transfer fee was massive, but back when it was later everyone spoke about the RM galacticos for example.

and people will say, ok he looks foolish now but he has $150m so who is really the fool?

505_ wrote: »

Soccer is not the Hurt Business. Money is such a factor because to come out of boxing or MMA or Kickboxing on the right side - a lot of money and your health - is insanely difficult. There are just way too many sad stories. And stories of people just being taken advantage of and retiring busted mentally and psychically. So to see someone calling the shots is great. I just hope he gets out before before he starts getting knocked out like Chuck or Rashad.

Like in the NFL - the cost is high - paid well but more than likely your career will last 2 to 3 years and you'll have some kind of injury for life and you better hope it's not mental. You spend your whole life pursuing something that ravages the rest of your life and end up not having the education to handle money. And concussion out the wazooo

I think McGregor's achievements in MMA - a belt in two divisions- beating Aldo, beating Eddie (two legends), the long run, managing to pull off the Mayweather fight - are amazing achievements. Especially in a sport where everybody losses to somebody.

McGregor said he wants to help fighters regarding weight cuts. He knows the pain of that. A noble thing if he follows through. Demand to fight Diaz for the 165 belt - or 160 or whatever the **** it has to be- and just blow open the weight divisions. Then we'll have people at comfortable weights, moving up and down for more exciting fights and more fight choices. And not killing themselves to get an advantage at a weight

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Soccer is not the Hurt Business. Money is such a factor because to come out of boxing or MMA or Kickboxing on the right side - a lot of money and your health - is insanely difficult. There are just way too many sad stories. And stories of people just being taken advantage and retiring busted mentally and psychically. So to see someone calling the shots is great. I just hope he gets out before before he starts getting knocked out like Chuck or Rashad.

Like in the NFL - the cost is high - paid well but more than likely your career will last 2 to 3 years and you'll have some kind of injury for life and you better hope it's not mental. You spend your whole life pursuing something that ravages the rest of your life and end up not having the education to handle money. And concussion out the wazooo

I think McGregor's achievements in MMA - a belt in two divisions- beating Aldo, beating Eddie (two legends), the long run, managing to pull off the Mayweather fight - are amazing achievements. Especially in a sport where everybody losses to somebody.

McGregor said he wants to help fighters regarding weight cuts. He knows the pain of that. A noble thing if he follows through. Demand to fight Diaz for the 165 belt - or 160 or whatever the **** it has to be- and just blow open the weight divisions. Then we'll have people at comfortable weights, moving up and down for more exciting fights and more fight choices. And not killing themselves to get an advantage at a weight

A 165 weight decision will still have fighters killing themselves to get an advantage.

• Advertisement

A 165 weight decision will still have fighters killing themselves to get an advantage.

a 165 division will blow open the divisions - you could have a division every five pounds. You can't fight in every division all the time. There's enough fighters now - more and more all the time.

The more divisions you have the more fighters will settle. The exception will always move around.

But, obviously not just that will work. You need more weigh ins - not just for show and promotion. A Weigh in on the afternoon of a fight - where people can't afford to weaken themselves too much - might solve a lot of that kind of massive cut problem and water loading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement