Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

a 165 division will blow open the divisions - you could have a division every five pounds. You can't fight in every division all the time. There's enough fighters now - more and more all the time.

The more divisions you have the more fighters will settle. The exception will always move around.

But, obviously not just that will work. You need more weigh ins - not just for show and promotion. A Weigh in on the afternoon of a fight - where people can't afford to weaken themselves too much - might solve a lot of that kind of massive cut problem and water loading.
    You'll still get people taking the risk and going in dehydrated, which is life threatening when the other guy is trying to knock you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You'll still get people taking the risk and going in dehydrated, which is life threatening when the other guy is trying to knock you out.

Could do. What do you suggest should be done?

Chael puts paid to any question of 'humiliation' and the question of who started and escalated the melee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxn76N7khs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Weekly weigh ins, 6 weeks pre fight?

Effects wrote: »
    Weekly weigh ins, 6 weeks pre fight?

Good idea.

Weigh ins with every drug test - 15 pd over limit?

• Advertisement

Chael will say whatever to paint McGregor in the best possible light though..

Why's that?

Why's that?

Because that's what he always does..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

walshb wrote: »
    Love him or loathe him or neither, it was an embarrassment/humiliation....

You just haven't been embarrassed / humiliated if you get 70% through a fight and pick up a round along the way. Well beaten, yes - I'm sure McGregor and his camp will agree. But there's no scope for hyperbole in how it played out. I'd be fascinated to see what adjustments McGregor would make for a rematch after he handled Diaz the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Because that's what he always does..

Riveting argument.

Chael trains with and is friends with Khabib, at least in comparison to his relationship with Conor. If he was going to be biased, it would be towards Khabib. But don't let that get in the way of your fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

moneyman wrote: »
    Riveting argument.

Chael trains with and is friends with Khabib, at least in comparison to his relationship with Conor. If he was going to be biased, it would be towards Khabib. But don't let that get in the way of your fantasy.

Trains with khabib? Since when. Is chael not with Quest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ban weight cuts altogether, safer for all involved.
    The process is not good for your body at all.

One of the MMA organisations have done this already, ONE FC I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Ban weight cuts altogether, safer for all involved.
    The process is not good for your body at all.

One of the MMA organisations have done this already, ONE FC I think?

It’s not that they’ve banned it, it’s more down to their use of hydration testing which means you won’t get away with cutting any decent amount of weight. It’s the best strategy to combat weight cutting and there’s no sign of the major US promotions adapting it. At first you’d have a good few fighters being pulled out of fights on the day, but once they quickly realise cutting is no longer viable, you’d have almost everyone fighting at their natural weight.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It’s not that they’ve banned it, it’s more down to their use of hydration testing which means you won’t get away with cutting any decent amount of weight. It’s the best strategy to combat weight cutting and there’s no sign of the major US promotions adapting it. At first you’d have a good few fighters being pulled out of fights on the day, but once they quickly realise cutting is no longer viable, you’d have almost everyone fighting at their natural weight.

They're taking measures against water loading is it?

That's great.

That's great.

Water loading is actually a routine to a lot. Frightening to see the results when the cut back happens. Wish fighters realised how dangerous this is

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That's great.

Not sure of the exact science behind it, but essentially they test their weight throughout fight week and on top of that, they test their urine for solutes too. The more solutes they have, the more dehydrated the fighter is and depending on how these tests go throughout the week, they may opt to use fight-day testing also if there’s a belief the fighter might be overweight or dehydrated.

It’s the future of the sport in terms of weight cutting (or eventually lack thereof, hopefully). If athletic commissions don’t get on board with this soon, they’re putting fighters at unnecessary risk and not doing their job. It’s used elsewhere, it works, I can’t see why it’s so hard for them to implement in major promotions where the costs of testing aren’t a factor, especially the UFC. It benefits them greatly, the days of fighters pulling out at the eleventh hour due to bad cuts (Khabib, Holloway, Barao etc.) would be mostly over, which could only increase PPV buys.

Weight cutting is part of the MMA culture which is probably why it still exists, but it’s the absolute worst part of the sport and if there’s an effective way to do away with it like ONE FC have proven, they need to get on top of that shît quickly.

Not sure of the exact science behind it, but essentially they test their weight throughout fight week and on top of that, they test their urine for solutes too. The more solutes they have, the more dehydrated the fighter is and depending on how these tests go throughout the week, they may opt to use fight-day testing also if there’s a belief the fighter might be overweight or dehydrated.

It’s the future of the sport in terms of weight cutting (or eventually lack thereof, hopefully). If athletic commissions don’t get on board with this soon, they’re putting fighters at unnecessary risk and not doing their job. It’s used elsewhere, it works, I can’t see why it’s so hard for them to implement in major promotions where the costs of testing aren’t a factor, especially the UFC. It benefits them greatly, the days of fighters pulling out at the eleventh hour due to bad cuts (Khabib, Holloway, Barao etc.) would be mostly over, which could only increase PPV buys.

Weight cutting is part of the MMA culture which is probably why it still exists, but it’s the absolute worst part of the sport and if there’s an effective way to do away with it like ONE FC have proven, they need to get on top of that shît quickly.

Great post. Thanks. That certainly seems like the way forward. Maybe UFC are worried about how cost effective it would be for a giant roster like the UFC? But, definitely, seems worth while for all concerned on every level from health to PPV. UFC can only benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

regardless he is is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭cletus

Commanchie wrote: »
    Trains with khabib? Since when. Is chael not with Quest?

Don't think so, not any more. I think he's training in Gracie Barra under Fabiano Scherner, but he's spoken before about training with DC and Khabib, so I presume he makes the odd trip to AKA, probably if already near San Jose for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

cletus wrote: »
    Don't think so, not any more. I think he's training in Gracie Barra under Fabiano Scherner, but he's spoken before about training with DC and Khabib, so I presume he makes the odd trip to AKA, probably if already near San Jose for work

Scherner is also the BJJ coach for the fight team at quest.

Chael might have trained with DC or Khabib or both, but not regularly, he does his camps from home in Oregon, odds are he's based in Quest and does classed with Scherner at a GB school too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Weigh ins with every drug test - 15 pd over limit?
    Doesn't really work. Fighters are frug tested out of camp. There no issue with them putting on weight at that point.
    Chael is pretty bias towards wrestling. Pre-fight he was hyping Khabib the product of great wrestling as opposed to sambo.
    This is partially to needle sambo guys.
    There’s a massive flaw with that approach though. That’s a test for dehydration under normal circumstances. Dark concentrated urine due to the lack of fluids in the body. Everyone knows what it’s like to wake up and piss dark orange when you’re dehydrated after a big session.
    With weight cutting, fighters are still drinking a lot of fluids, they are also restricting salts, and the body can’t retain the water. They are pissing way all the water, which means very diluted urine. Especially during fight week. Only right at the end would they dry up.

Chael might have trained with DC or Khabib or both, but not regularly, he does his camps from home in Oregon, odds are he's based in Quest and does classed with Scherner at a GB school too.

Could be, these I only ever hear him talking about Fabiano and Clayton Hires, who does the stand up coaching in GB. Not sure if he's also linked to Team Quest.

Regarding the training at AKA, yeah I was trying to say that whatever it amounted to, it was only a very occasional thing, most likely just to get time on the mats while on the road

Could be, these days I only ever hear him talking about Fabiano and Clayton Hires, who does the stand up coaching in GB. Not sure if he's also linked to Team Quest.

Regarding the training at AKA, yeah I was trying to say that whatever it amounted to, it was only a very occasional thing, most likely just to get time on the mats while on the road

cletus wrote: »
    Could be, these days I only ever hear him talking about Fabiano and Clayton Hires, who does the stand up coaching in GB. Not sure if he's also linked to Team Quest.

Chael fights with Quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Of course the whole point of social media is to portray your life and happiness to a whole new extreme, far from the actual reality but McGregor definitely doesn't seem too downhearted after this loss. After the Diaz loss there was that huge post about how he took a shot and missed. What we're seeing from him now is lots of smiles, his whiskey flying off the shelf and enjoying himself. I alluded to it earlier in the thread but it's very possible he could have grown out of the love of fighting. He's achieved everything, it'd be understandable.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Of course the whole point of social media is to portray your life and happiness to a whole new extreme, far from the actual reality but McGregor definitely doesn't seem too downhearted after this loss. After the Diaz loss there was that huge post about how he took a shot and missed. What we're seeing from him now is lots of smiles, his whiskey flying off the shelf and enjoying himself. I alluded to it earlier in the thread but it's very possible he could have grown out of the love of fighting. He's achieved everything, it'd be understandable.

He hasnt achieved everything though mate. He will be haunted about never defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

dulux99 wrote: »

Where are all the smiles in social media ? I only saw one picture of him holding a glass or whiskey and he wasn't really smiling in that

Bullocks wrote: »
    Where are all the smiles in social media ? I only saw one picture of him holding a glass or whiskey and he wasn't really smiling in that

Your clearly blinde then haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Chael puts paid to any question of 'humiliation' and the question of who started and escalated the melee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxn76N7khs

He makes a good point to all those saying Conor threw the first punch when Khabib was already well over the fence and swinging like crazy at his team. Conor has no case to answer here. Just stood up for himself when Khabib and his crew attacked. He should be the one threatening to quit if any action is taken against him not that po faced Russian.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Doesn't really work. Fighters are frug tested out of camp. There no issue with them putting on weight at that point.

That's whole point. To have them fighting closer to their out of camp, more natural weight. If they are expected to be on weight at that point - so far out - it will prevent fighters going for the overnight water-loading cut. They have to be close to fight weight all the time. They'll have go to a more natural weight.

And you can hit two birds with one stone - weigh in and drug test.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement