Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

dulux99 wrote: »
    Of course the whole point of social media is to portray your life and happiness to a whole new extreme, far from the actual reality but McGregor definitely doesn't seem too downhearted after this loss. After the Diaz loss there was that huge post about how he took a shot and missed. What we're seeing from him now is lots of smiles, his whiskey flying off the shelf and enjoying himself. I alluded to it earlier in the thread but it's very possible he could have grown out of the love of fighting. He's achieved everything, it'd be understandable.

He was humbled finally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Of course the whole point of social media is to portray your life and happiness to a whole new extreme, far from the actual reality but McGregor definitely doesn't seem too downhearted after this loss. After the Diaz loss there was that huge post about how he took a shot and missed. What we're seeing from him now is lots of smiles, his whiskey flying off the shelf and enjoying himself. I alluded to it earlier in the thread but it's very possible he could have grown out of the love of fighting. He's achieved everything, it'd be understandable.

Agreed. I don't think the defending part bothers him at all. Unlike all the other fighters, his market value outgrew the UFC. And it is still bigger than the UFC. It transcends UFC and Boxing. I think the UFC holds him back in terms of money.

Should have retired or pursued the Pualie fight. Maybe he still will. He'd make a lot more than what he did against Khabib. The fight would sell like hotcakes. But maybe he doesn't want to take on the responsibility and work of a promotion on that scale again. Make a sweet amount, up against 50 mill, by turning up for one press conference and a couple of weigh ins. Pretty sweet.

Then again, why risk the head trauma. Just get out. Money made. Live your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's whole point. To have them fighting closer to their out of camp, more natural weight. If they are expected to be on weight at that point - so far out - it will prevent fighters going for the overnight water-loading cut. They have to be close to fight weight all the time. They'll have go to a more natural weight..
    I think you are misunderstanding my point.
    When drug testers turn up. They will be at their actual weight because they aren't going to be cutting. But they might not be anywhere near cage weight. Lots of fighters put on weight between camps. You can't penalise a guy for putting on weight over Christmas (for example). Especially if he's no fight booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

I think for McGregor to go from 2 years out of the sport to facing Khabib was a monumental task.

McGregor's notorious personal life and the Floyd fight. I doubt he was doing too much serious training that a professional athlete should have been doing over those 2 years.

Khabib was in training and fight camps and fighting more or less throughout.

Conor could have done with a tune up fight with someone like Siver but given his status he is not the position to have one.

I think alot of Conor's talk on his way up is going to bite him on his way down. He looked slow and stiff in the octagon.

I hope he retires as I don't think he has a big win left in him.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you are misunderstanding my point.
    When drug testers turn up. They will be at their actual weight because they aren't going to be cutting. But they might not be anywhere near cage weight. Lots of fighters put on weight between camps. You can't penalise a guy for putting on weight over Christmas (for example). Especially if he's no fight booked.

10 to 15 pound overweight out of competition limit. That prevents drastic cuts. It will force fighter to fight closer to their natural weight.

Preventing guys like Holloway, who is almost 6ft, from trying to make 145

• Advertisement

10 to 15 pound overweight out of competition limit. That prevents drastic cuts. It will force fighter to fight closer to their natural weight.

Preventing guys like Holloway, who is almost 6ft, from trying to make 145
    It prevents drastic cuts, but it also prevents weight gain which makes it unusable.

15 lbs is a reasonably mild cut. I'd guess all LW walk around at 170ish naturally.
    So say a LW walks around 170. Grand he's within the limit. But if he puts on some winter fat, bulks up, gets injured etc. He could end up over that limit in perfectly reasonable time to get back down to 170 for the next fight. Penalising out of comp weight gain is dumb.

It prevents drastic cuts, but it also prevents weight gain which makes it unusable.

15 lbs is a reasonably mild cut. I'd guess all LW walk around at 170ish naturally.
    So say a LW walks around 170. Grand he's within the limit. But if he puts on some winter fat, bulks up, gets injured etc. He could end up over that limit in perfectly reasonable time to get back down to 170 for the next fight. Penalising out of comp weight gain is dumb.

Who says you punish someone for being overweight when injured?

Doesn't have to be so black and white.

Nobody suggested it had to be like that. You're running away with making imaginary penalization of people who are injured. That's dumb.

way too simplistic and overboard an example.

Who says you punish someone for being overweight when injured?

Doesn't have to be so black and white.

Nobody suggested it had to be like that. You're running away with making imaginary penalization of people who are injured. That's dumb.

way too simplistic and overboard an example.
    What you said was: "15 pd over limit".
    If people aren't penalised, it's not much of a limit and would be entirely useless.
    So how are you proposing this limit would work.

Being injured was one example. I gave a few others (that you ignored). Many fighters put on extra weight for no reason at all. They just put on when out of camp. Even guys who stay in shape put on a couple.
    If a fighter is cutting 15 lbs already, a small cut, he has zero room to put on weight.l without being over the limit.

Many fighters put on extra weight for no reason at all. They just put on when out of camp. Even guys who stay in shape put on a couple.
    If a fighter is cutting 15 lbs already, a small cut, he has zero room to put on weight.l without being over the limit.

But the whole point is to prevent that. If fighters want to put on mass they can go up a division. Simple. They'll be forced to get more serious about weight control and their health in terms of cutting. They'll have a designated division - they have a weight limit - no drastic cuts. I gave 15 as an example - could be twenty. Three months out from a fight - maximum 20 pounds over and that decreases with each passing month. Eight pound minimum two weeks out. If they want to put on weight - they notify that they're shifting division.

This will prevent guys walking in fully hydrated and having ridiculous advantage in weight.

More weight divisions and more regulation of weight.

I'd also have more divisions. Band water loading. Weigh ins on fight day.

The gap between weights in the heavyweight ranks is particularly ridiculous - need way more weight divisions between 205 and 260.

I think if testers also do weight ins - and more regularly - they can monitor fighters shifts in weight and muscle mass - and sense anything fishy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Your ideas would lead to people dying.

Stop, please, you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Commanchie wrote: »
    He hasnt achieved everything though mate. He will be haunted about never defending.

Well, no, he hasn't achieved a GSP status within the sport itself, but in terms of the overall fight game he's achieved more financially than any other MMA fighter ever. Get in, get rich, get out was his motto. He spoke about being two weight world champion from day one. Involved in 5 of the 6 biggest UFC fights ever.

The McGregor of 2016 was haunted about the loss to Diaz, my post was trying to convey that I kind of think the McGregor of 2018 isn't quite as haunted.

He's 30 now, is about to become a father for a second time, and is making strides in the business world. His Mrs and family are probably pleading with him to jack it in, especially after how the last fight went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib took Mcgregors soul. He will never be a champion again imo.

Three months out from a fight - maximum 20 pounds over and that decreases with each passing month. Eight pound minimum two weeks out. If they want to put on weight - they notify that they're shifting division.
    CSAC have a 10% rehydration limit. And fight week checks. That's workable. Even enforcing a limit once a fight is booked is workable.

Bit a constant limit is not a good approach. Apart from hard to manage it's not even good from a training and recovery point if view.
    This will prevent guys walking in fully hydrated and having ridiculous advantage in weight.

I'd also have more divisions. Band water loading. Weigh ins on fight day.
    Fight day weigh-in dangerous, increasing the risk of brain trauma. They were they moved them back in the first place. You want fighters fully hydrated in there.

I agree about more divisions. I want to see LW and WW split into 155/165/175. But don't think k it stops people cutting 20lns plus during fight week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

ricero wrote: »
    Khabib took Mcgregors soul. He will never be a champion again imo.

McGregor's soul was no longer there to take.

His heart is not in MMA anymore.

Looked a shadow of his former self

McGregor's soul was no longer there to take.

His heart is not in MMA anymore.

Looked a shadow of his former self

This is my suspicion too.

"It's real hard to get up at 5am & run 5 miles when you're in a 4 post bed wearing silk pyjamas" as Iron Mike famously said.

"It's real hard to get up at 5am & run 5 miles when you're in a 4 post bed wearing silk pyjamas" as Iron Mike famously said.

"Its hard to get up and run at 5am when you're wearing silk pyjamas" - Marvin Hagler. :D

"Its hard to get up and run at 5am when you're wearing silk pyjamas" - Marvin Hagler. :D

My bad!

CSAC have a 10% rehydration limit. And fight week checks. That's workable. Even enforcing a limit once a fight is booked is workable.

Bit a constant limit is not a good approach. Apart from hard to manage it's not even good from a training and recovery point if view.

Fight day weigh-in dangerous, increasing the risk of brain trauma. They were they moved them back in the first place. You want fighters fully hydrated in there.

I agree about more divisions. I want to see LW and WW split into 155/165/175. But don't think k it stops people cutting 20lns plus during fight week.

Fair enough. Do you have links for CSAC, I want to read more about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Can we just rename the thread this? Seems to have been written an awful lot over the past week :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

My bad!

I'm fairly sure it was actually Abe Lincoln who said that

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    Can we just rename the thread this? Seems to have been written an awful lot over the past week :D

It's a very long thread in fairness, I can't be reading all of it!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it was actually Abe Lincoln who said that

Can you make that meme - with Lincoln and a speech bubble? And maybe Iron Mike and Hagler's face on MT. Rushmore in the background. Cheers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

"It's hard to run in silk pyjamas, no matter what time you get up at" - Kenny Powers

Seeing McGregor advertise his whiskey out and about on instagram since the loss makes me feel that he’s probably done. After the Diaz loss he went quiet and obviously really knuckled down and got his rewards for it, he was peaking as an athlete culminating in the Alvarez win.

What he did, I mean a lad from Crumlin fighting bloody Floyd Mayweather is unbelievable! And how he could top that? Let’s be honest, it’s not going to be topped. This defeat doesn’t seem to have a fire under him. And why should it? A millionaire, with wife and a child. It’s been some rollercoaster he’s brought us on, a legend and someone who was the best in the world at what he did and a proud Irishman. I don’t think he’s getting to that level again. The hunger appears gone.

Double post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Seeing McGregor advertise his whiskey out and about on instagram since the loss makes me feel that he’s probably done. After the Diaz loss he went quiet and obviously really knuckled down and got his rewards for it, he was peaking as an athlete culminating in the Alvarez win.

What he did, I mean a lad from Crumlin fighting bloody Floyd Mayweather is unbelievable! And how he could top that? Let’s be honest, it’s not going to be topped. This defeat doesn’t seem to have a fire under him. And why should it? A millionaire, with wife and a child. It’s been some rollercoaster he’s brought us on, a legend and someone who was the best in the world at what he did and a proud Irishman. I don’t think he’s getting to that level again. The hunger appears gone.

Also the maclife on ig , all about how much he spends on clothes etc , hes made minimum $30 mil from 229 and more if he returns for a rematch etc , alot of money for 25 mins max , id love to see him as mcgregor of 2013 but no way in hell , no fire or hunger not to mention the clingers on etc , that ginger p rick does my nut in and baldy cuunt “ serpico ninja “ opitamy of wa nk stains

Fair enough. Do you have links for CSAC, I want to read more about it?

This gives an overview
    https://www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2017/5/16/15648532/csac-passes-ground-breaking-package-of-weight-cutting-regulations
    Seeing McGregor advertise his whiskey out and about on instagram since the loss makes me feel that he’s probably done.
    Seeing McGregor on IG makes me feel he understands marketing. He may well be emotional done in terms of fighting, he may not. But these photos aren't random candid shots of McGregor. They are posed or at least, carefully selected photos.

Somebody smiling, in real life or on social media, doesn't necessarily mean they are happy. Not specifically in relation to McGrebor, but mental health in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I think Conor should definitely look at the Aldo rematch. Winnable, and there's history there, so no need for over the top promotion.

The whole fight build up drama is over after the Khabib fight I reckon. With Khabib, Aldo, and Nate, you could maybe buy in to the tension, but the build up to the Eddie and Mayweather fights were so fake. The Mayweather fight was like someone in corporate took a look at Conor's schtick and asked him could he dial it up 43%.
    Like if he fought Barboza next for example it would look ridiculous trying to sell him as his mortal enemy.

After a couple of fights of just Conor the fighter i doubt as many will care any more. I buy most PPVs regardless, but i can't see 2 million ppv buys for Conor vs Gaethje (even though that would deserve more!).
    If Conor's heart isn't in it anymore he definitely should stay away from killers like Khabib and Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭el diablo

derfderf wrote: »
    I think Conor should definitely look at the Aldo rematch. Winnable, and there's history there, so no need for over the top promotion.

Not sure if he'd want to fight at 145 again at this stage.....

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

el diablo wrote: »
    Not sure if he'd want to fight at 145 again at this stage.....

Not sure if he'd be able to tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement