Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Good interview with JK (better than the Rogan one at least):

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

el diablo wrote: »
    Not sure if he'd want to fight at 145 again at this stage.....

There was a lot of talk of Aldo moving up. He's fought pretty much everyone there, and he's lost three title fights in his last 5. He's nowhere near another shot, and probably won't be around much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

cliggg wrote: »

He went to hospital before another fight because of some pains, yet didn't when he had seizures? Don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

dulux99 wrote: »
    Attending any live sporting event is better than watching it on the telly. Bit snarky to say people go for the instagram posts.

I do agree but anytime I see a liver football game, I usually feel the need to rewatch the highlights and get pundit opinions on it.

I haven't ever been to a live boxing/MMA event so maybe it's different. Maybe some guys who attended McGregor fights could give their opinion? I would be interested...would you guys recommend being wayyy back in a football stadium for an MMA event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

spix wrote: »
    He went to hospital before another fight because of some pains, yet didn't when he had seizures? Don't buy it.

closer to organ failure than "pains"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I haven't ever been to a live boxing/MMA event so maybe it's different. Maybe some guys who attended McGregor fights could give their opinion? I would be interested...would you guys recommend being wayyy back in a football stadium for an MMA event?
    I've been to UFC PPVs, UFC fight night events, McGregor fights and UFC stadium events.

And I think I can sum up them all and say that athmosphere is everything. Big PPVs great fights abdvthe crowd is into are great. I've been at fight nights were the crowd was losing interest, booing, shouting stuff during ground work etc. Even though I'm a huge grappling fan, it dragged my mood down.
    UFC 189, I was in the nosebleeds. And it was superb. The crowd was electric you just soak that up. Shortly after that,I was at 193 in Melbourne. 55,000 people. The stadium was huge. I was on the pitch and still miles from the cage. I watch a lot of the action on the big screens. It kinda felt like the spread out crowd let the athmosphere float away. It was weirdly quiet. Even during the 115 title fight. But when Holm knocked out Rousey. It was a bit nuts and made up for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

clsmooth wrote: »
    Seeing McGregor advertise his whiskey out and about on instagram since the loss makes me feel that he’s probably done. After the Diaz loss he went quiet and obviously really knuckled down and got his rewards for it, he was peaking as an athlete culminating in the Alvarez win.

What he did, I mean a lad from Crumlin fighting bloody Floyd Mayweather is unbelievable! And how he could top that? Let’s be honest, it’s not going to be topped. This defeat doesn’t seem to have a fire under him. And why should it? A millionaire, with wife and a child. It’s been some rollercoaster he’s brought us on, a legend and someone who was the best in the world at what he did and a proud Irishman. I don’t think he’s getting to that level again. The hunger appears gone.

He's not done... he's advertising his whiskey because hes currently touring the US to visit various distributors, that was obviously planned regardless of the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

cliggg wrote: »

Wow, what a warrior of a man

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good interview with JK (better than the Rogan one at least):

Concerning to me would be towards the end when Kavanagh says there’s a lot of things he would change from a training standpoint and would like to get back to a situation where they go into an old school gym with the old crew and disappear for 3 months.

We’ve been here before after the first Diaz fight when Kavanagh was saying a lot of the same things about Conor’s approach.

It seems things went completely off course again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

el diablo wrote: »
    Not sure if he'd want to fight at 145 again at this stage.....

He won’t, Aldo would have to come up to 155. It’s the best match for Conor imo; like the other poster said the history is there already so not much promotion needed, fighting at the higher weight class would be a big advantage for Conor and Aldo is at a stage where he is past his best but still high level. If he lost to Aldo at 155 he’d have no business fighting’s for any title in any sort of foreseeable future so there would be real stakes. If he lost he’d still have the Diaz trilogy as a last payday. If he won he’d be perfectly lined up to face the winner of Khabib vs Tony.

Conor will have two more fights maximum.

They’ll be Khabib 2 and/or Diaz 3. They’re the only two that make sense.

The likes of Aldo at 155lbs are fantasy land and won’t be happening. He has nothing to gain (he’ll make more money from the aforementioned before anyone says it) and everything to lose from those matchups.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd be happy if he just fights Khabib again and then retired, kinda over the Diaz trilogy. If he does, he needs to drop the business side of things for a year and give the fight a proper go. I suppose NAC's decision on Khabib will be a deciding factor anyway.

Also, he certainly isn't pulling a Ronda unless he's going around with a blanket over his head while on his US whiskey tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Paully D wrote: »
    Concerning to me would be towards the end when Kavanagh says there’s a lot of things he would change from a training standpoint and would like to get back to a situation where they go into an old school gym with the old crew and disappear for 3 months.

We’ve been here before after the first Diaz fight when Kavanagh was saying a lot of the same things about Conor’s approach.

It seems things went completely off course again.

Yep.

It does almost seem like McGregor needs a whooping every now and then to refocus him. The fan in me hopes he does take this advice for a potential rematch, but as myself and others have pointed out, I'm not so sure the hunger is there to avenge this one like there was for the Diaz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I'm impressed but also a little surprised with Kavanaghs interview.

He talks very well and seems very measured in his answers. I dont know though, I mean how could they have not have taken this seriously enough not to lock themselves away in a training camp and dedicate themselves to making sure he was capable of giving a performance like he did in mcgregor v diaz 2. Diaz is a good fighter but not on the same level as Khabib. Also seems like there was a serious mistake in their tactical approach to this fight by not being offensive enough early on, everyone and their dog knew that Mcgregors best chance in this one was starting very offensively and capitalising on that.

Its one of two things imo, either Mcgregor is too difficult/stubborn to listen properly to the coaching advice that Kavanagh is giving him or Kavanagh & the team are a little out of their depth at this level. The truth is probably a combination of both.

Whatever about that anyway, I do think Mcgregor not only needs to lock himself away for a long time in a training camp abroad but also needs to improve the training partners he has if he is to have a chance at succeeding. When you see the quality of fighters in Khabibs gym, Rockhold & Cormier and then look at Mcgregors, it doesnt take too long to figure out what went wrong.

Khabib the goat has called out Floyd for a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ricero wrote: »
    Khabib isn’t in it for the money though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Khabib isn’t in it for the money though

It seems like Ali has his Twitter account, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

It seems like Ali has his Twitter account, again.

Big big drama show

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo5V0arHcAK/?utm_source=ig_embed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Two lads having a laugh in an audience turns into droves of clickbait picked up by loads of news sites. Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

McGregor and Kavangh's relationship is on the rocks judging from that interview

dulux99 wrote: »
    Two lads having a laugh in an audience turns into droves of clickbait picked up by loads of news sites. Yawn

Khabib destoryed Mcgregor in the stand up and is confident of doing one better than Conor.

McGregor and Kavangh's relationship is on the rocks judging from that interview

Yeah, really highlighted by the part when JK said McGREGOR sent him long essay texts about what they need to do differently. And the part about making plans for the next camp, that's what really highlighted that their relationship is on the rocks...

Must be the end...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Khabib destoryed Mcgregor in the stand up and is confident of doing one better than Conor.

Jesus christ mate you have some serious problems any chance you get to throw your oar in...

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1051566893948067840?s=21

But, but, but, Conor has disappeared since the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Yeah, really highlighted by the part when JK said McGREGOR sent him long essay texts about what they need to do differently. And the part about making plans for the next camp, that's what really highlighted that their relationship is on the rocks...

Must be the end...:)

Well if the fighter is telling the coach what needs to be different....

Well if the fighter is telling the coach what needs to be different....

It's called discussing tactics. It's not some little boy going to the headmaster :pac:

You looking for drama!?! :)

Big Coronation Street fan, yeah? :D

https://twitter.com/ufconfox/status/1051594318828294145?s=21

Apparently Tony McGregor reported him missing as well since he hasn’t been seen since the night of the fight.

Expect of course in numerous locations in the United States, in the Staples Center last night, and in the stadium of one of the most popular teams in the world tonight.

Apart from that....

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ufconfox/status/1051594318828294145?s=21

Apparently Tony McGregor reported him missing as well since he hasn’t been seen since the night of the fight.

Expect of course in numerous locations in the United States, in the Staples Center last night, and in the stadium of one of the most popular teams in the world tonight.

Apart from that....

I'll tell you one thing though, by the looks of the fluff on one of his jacket sleeves, he looks embarrassed...:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement