Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'll tell you one thing though, by the looks of the fluff on one of his jacket sleeves, he looks embarrassed...:rolleyes:

The hunger is all but gone it seems. A true champion would not act like this in defeat. Khabib took his fighting spirit that night. Hes all but retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

ricero wrote: »
    The hunger is all but gone it seems. A true champion would not act like this in defeat. Khabib took his fighting spirit that night. Hes all but retired.

:pac: :D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Zero-Cool wrote: »

The only thing not on form was his throwing technique...

Probably nothing but interesting that he was with the Cowboys given the stadium has hosted some big boxing fights. Could be a potential future UFC venue for a stadium show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The only thing not on form was his throwing technique...

Probably nothing but interesting that he was with the Cowboys given the stadium has hosted some big boxing fights. Could be a potential future UFC venue for a stadium show.

I wonder if Greg Hardy would be on such a potential card...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Your trolling isn't even remotely funny.

You just sound like a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

With regards to Khabib not being interested in money (which is currently being bandied about by those who believe he will follow up on his laughable threats to the UFC) if he wasn't motivated by money then why didn't he call out Eddie from the Octogan at 205? Or when he was talking to Dana through the cage, why not just talk about getting the strap, why reference the guy who didn't even have it yet.

Chap is after the pay day like all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

With regards to Khabib not being interested in money (which is currently being bandied about by those who believe he will follow up on his laughable threats to the UFC) if he wasn't motivated by money then why didn't he call out Eddie from the Octogan at 205? Or when he was talking to Dana through the cage, why not just talk about getting the strap, why reference the guy who didn't even have it yet.

Chap is after the pay day like all the rest.

At 205 khabib was meant to fight Eddie for the belt, the fight was set up, and then they pulled khabib in favour of McG. That's why he was pissed at the UFC/Dana/mcg

Yeah, I remember all the stuff with him being sent the contracts but that palaver shouldn't have made him focus solely on McGregor, if anything McGregor had little to do with all that stuff anyway as apparently it was done so they could pay him less.

Anyway, I don't believe a word of Khabib's ultimatum. No way he'll turn his back on a potential $25m or so (after ppv) which is what I'd say he'd be looking at.

Ain't gonna get anything close to that off 50 cent.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1051644501159227394

Him drinking from that little nagan sized bottle was the giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib destoryed Mcgregor in the stand up and is confident of doing one better than Conor.

Khabib landed a solid overhand right.
    The classic wrestler fake level change.
    Biggest hit of the fight. But overall, McGregor landed much more on the feet (even if it was sub par for him).
    Khabib mauled him by taking him down. You are kinda exposing yourself as a troll or just clueless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Australian media reporting that Conor is coming to Oz, as part of the line up for Im a celebrity. Biazare rumour to start, even more bizarre if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    Australian media reporting that Conor is coming to Oz, as part of the line up for Im a celebrity. Biazare rumour to start, even more bizarre if it's true.

Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being tony not Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

McGregor is one of the biggest celebrities in the world now and his son is the most known MMA fighter, these shows attract z list at best. Bizarre rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JJayoo wrote: »
    At 205 khabib was meant to fight Eddie for the belt, the fight was set up, and then they pulled khabib in favour of McG. That's why he was pissed at the UFC/Dana/mcg

He can't really expect to get an instant title shot after 2 years out. He was used as leverage to make the bigger fight, happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

This is more a question about SBG than Conor but what's the story with John being the main cornerman for so many fighters? The tweet below is a perfect example, how can he train/coach so many people for upcoming fights especially when Conor has a fight coming up too so he would obviously get the most attention? I know they have other coaches too of course so why can't they go without John? It seems he's spreading himself very thin to me.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1050839911262277634

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

He's the Head coach, it's not unusual. Just like Greg Jackson, Javier Mendes, Duke Rufous etc etc would have dozens of pros under his tutelage at any one time.

It wasn't long ago people (including me) criticised John for not being in Artems corner in (i believe) Texas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

cliggg wrote: »
    This is more a question about SBG than Conor but what's the story with John being the main cornerman for so many fighters? The tweet below is a perfect example, how can he train/coach so many people for upcoming fights especially when Conor has a fight coming up too so he would obviously get the most attention? I know they have other coaches too of course so why can't they go without John? It seems he's spreading himself very thin to me.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1050839911262277634

Long story short he's not the main coach for anyone besides a handful of lads. But everyone he corners he gets paid by, so it's in his interests to be there as often as he can. The other two people in the corner will change for most fights, they're the ones the fighter would have trained with more regularly. John's sold himself as some savant of combat sports to his crew. Fair play to him.

Long story short he's not the main coach for anyone besides a handful of lads. But everyone he corners he gets paid by, so it's in his interests to be there as often as he can. The other two people in the corner will change for most fights, they're the ones the fighter would have trained with more regularly. John's sold himself as some savant of combat sports to his crew. Fair play to him.
    Ah that makes sense then. It was the travel as much as the training that I was curious about, I couldn't see Greg Jackson etc.. doing all that travelling since they couldn't possibly have been the main coach for all those training camps at roughly the same time. It must be annoying for the trainers who spend most of the fight camps with fighters only for John to come in and they have to step aside and be number 2 or 3 for the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

cliggg wrote: »
    Ah that makes sense then. It was the travel as much as the training that I was curious about, I couldn't see Greg Jackson etc.. doing all that travelling since they couldn't possibly have been the main coach for all those training camps at roughly the same time. It must be annoying for the trainers who spend most of the fight camps with fighters only for John to come in and they have to step aside and be number 2 or 3 for the fight.

In fairness to Jackson, Hooft, Rufus etc they tend to stack a few of their own fighters on to the same card whenever they can so that they have a few heads in camp working together and then they can be there for all of them.

Same thing applied though, they can't fully run camps for dozens of fighters. A lot of the lower ranked guys would likely train more often with other coaches and then the head coaches still come corner them for fights because it's seen as the thing to do, and they will get paid.

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    He's the Head coach, it's not unusual. Just like Greg Jackson, Javier Mendes, Duke Rufous etc etc would have dozens of pros under his tutelage at any one time.

It wasn't long ago people (including me) criticised John for not being in Artems corner in (i believe) Texas.
    Yeah I remember John being criticised over the Swanson fight but he already had a book tour (I think) of Australia planned before the fight was made. Though again if Roddy and whoever else was in Artem's corner that night then it does show that he doesn't need to be in all of the fighter's corners' for every fight as he seemingly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

John corners lots of his ammy fighters too, often been at shows around the country and he's cornering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rob316 wrote: »
    McGregor is one of the biggest celebrities in the world now and his son is the most known MMA fighter, these shows attract z list at best. Bizarre rumour

Hang on, I have to come back to this as nobody else has. Are you actually saying Tony McGregor is one of the biggest celebrities in the world?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hang on, I have to come back to this as nobody else has. Are you actually saying Tony McGregor is one of the biggest celebrities in the world?!

I don’t think anyone went back to it because it’s a massive wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just watched JK video with Ariel, in Rocky 3, Rocky had a new head trainer :) Also noticed he never mentioned Roddy as part of a core team.

Conor seems to want to come back, excited by the Dallas possibilities, not sure he will ever get best prepared unless he drops the crap however they can sell it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

At least we know one thing after all is said and done, McGregor is very lucky Khabib didn't get off that bus :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

One thing that I took from the JK interview is that he wants Conor to have no distractions and lock him up in a gym for 3 months to train.

When I read into that, it sounds like his ventures are disrupting training.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's a weird criticism. If he misses a corner, he gets criticized. Corners too many fighters, gets criticized.

What's he getting out of cornering all his ammy fighters too?

The cynical attitude is boring and kind of taints valid opinions. It's not really uncommon what he does, he's got a big stable of fighters in a nation that doesn't have the most gyms. The fact is, if you are on the pro team, you are probably working directly with him day to day, so it's not really a surprise that he's cornering many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Just watched JK video with Ariel, in Rocky 3, Rocky had a new head trainer :) Also noticed he never mentioned Roddy as part of a core team.

Conor seems to want to come back, excited by the Dallas possibilities, not sure he will ever get best prepared unless he drops the crap however they can sell it again.

JK has referenced Rocky 3 a number of times throughout Conor's career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    One thing that I took from the JK interview is that he wants Conor to have no distractions and lock him up in a gym for 3 months to train.

When I read into that, it sounds like his ventures are disrupting training.

I dunno, I'd say the more he's locked up with his yes men the worse he'll get. I wouldn't be surprised judging by how little effort he put into defending that neck crank, if it was the first time since Diaz 1 he actually had someone try to choke him.

Could also benefit from trying a new pads man, I feel hes stuck in a rut with roddy doing the same routine over and over again. I remember hearing an interview with someone from box n burn gym that mcgregors manager said he could hold the pads for mcgregor, but when he went to do it mcgregor just stayed hitting the heavy bags for like 30minutes. From hearing that and some things his coach has said before, I don't think mcgregor likes training with new people, probably to hide the truth that his striking ability is extremely limited because he just does the same thing over and over again which mostly consists of tip tapping with roddy. He needs to try some new training methods or I don't see him ever getting better than what we saw against khabib. Also feel he needs to expand his workouts, it seems all his mcgregor fast program consists of is using a rowing machine, treadmill and bouncing a ball off the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement