Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

What's ge getting out of cornering ammy fighters?

Money, they all pay fees to use the gym which pays his rent, staff wages, and provides him profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    One thing that I took from the JK interview is that he wants Conor to have no distractions and lock him up in a gym for 3 months to train.

When I read into that, it sounds like his ventures are disrupting training.

Yep I think it was pretty obvious the training and preparation was not up to the usual standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

spix wrote: »
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    One thing that I took from the JK interview is that he wants Conor to have no distractions and lock him up in a gym for 3 months to train.

When I read into that, it sounds like his ventures are disrupting training.

I dunno, I'd say the more he's locked up with his yes men the worse he'll get. I wouldn't be surprised judging by how little effort he put into defending that neck crank, if it was the first time since Diaz 1 he actually had someone try to choke him.

Could also benefit from trying a new pads man, I feel hes stuck in a rut with roddy doing the same routine over and over again. I remember hearing an interview with someone from box n burn gym that mcgregors manager said he could hold the pads for mcgregor, but when he went to do it mcgregor just stayed hitting the heavy bags for like 30minutes. From hearing that and some things his coach has said before, I don't think mcgregor likes training with new people, probably to hide the truth that his striking ability is extremely limited because he just does the same thing over and over again which mostly consists of tip tapping with roddy. He needs to try some new training methods or I don't see him ever getting better than what we saw against khabib. Also feel he needs to expand his workouts, it seems all his mcgregor fast  program consists of is using a rowing machine, treadmill and bouncing a  ball off the ground.
    Not sure about this at all,
    He absolutely tooled Eddie on the feet like no one has ever done,
    He out struck Diaz both occasion which no body does , (I know he's cardio failed but he did out strike him,
    In the Mayweather fight he done better than another fighter in his division would have done,
    He has never been out struck in his life ( bar Mayweather ) Khabib caught him once with a big shot but that was due to the wrestling aspect and not down to pure striking ,
    I don't see the issue at all with his striking coach,
    But it was clear as day all was not well in the build up, the flying out late to Vegas, the lack of media work obvious trying to play catch up in the gym and he knew this himself, Even from the walk out he didn't look himself, But I would not blame that on his trainers more on his life style leading up to the training camp.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

He out struck Diaz both occasion which no body does , (I know he's cardio failed but he did out strike him,
    In the Mayweather fight he done better than another fighter in his division would have done,
    He has never been out struck in his life ( bar Mayweather ) Khabib caught him once with a big shot but that was due to the wrestling aspect and not down to pure striking ,
    But it was clear as day all was not well in the build up, the flying out late to Vegas, the lack of media work obvious trying to play catch up in the gym and he knew this himself, Even from the walk out he didn't look himself, But I would not blame that on his trainers more on his life style leading up to the training camp.,

I'd say it's a case of getting distracted with business outside of fighting. McGregor is obviously prepping for life after fighting. That's smart. But a big risk when getting in a ring with a man who is hungry for money to set him and his family up for life.

Khabib will now get a small taste of what it's life to be the center of attention and having to juggle fifty different obligations as champ. And if he wants to stick to his general routine of just training, he'll soon get a whiff of what's its like for the UFC to not want you to have the belt. Personally, I don't think Khabib cares about the fanfare and he will reject it. Let's see how he wears the crown...

I think if there's a rematch and if Khabib and Conor did a world tour of media they could break the PPV record. They'd certainly have a shot. A world tour might be an idea for camp McGregor because it would really wear on Khabib.

Also re-Khabib's admission that he was having seizures or convulsions while trying to make weight. Doesn't seem like he can keep doing it for much longer without a serious risk to his health. And he stated he has no interest in going up in weight. You'd wonder how many more fights Khabib wants...

McGregor should make Khabib wait. Fight Diaz - make a packet - a third fight will break 2.4 PPV with a lot of media. Let Khabib fight someone else - Khabib won't be long realizing what the difference in pay packet is between fighting McGregor and someone else. Khabib won't reach 400,000 PPV.

Did Khabib v Al do 300,000 buys?

I'd say it's a case of getting distracted with business outside of fighting. McGregor is obviously prepping for life after fighting. That's smart. But a big risk when getting in a ring with a man who is hungry for money to set him and his family up for life.

Khabib will now get a small taste of what it's life to be the center of attention and having to juggle fifty different obligations as champ. And if he wants to stick to his general routine of just training, he'll soon get a whiff of what's its like for the UFC to not want you to have the belt. Personally, I don't think Khabib cares about the fanfare and he will reject it. Let's see how he wears the crown...

I think if there's a rematch and if Khabib and Conor did a world tour of media they could break the PPV record. They'd certainly have a shot. A world tour might be an idea for camp McGregor because it would really wear on Khabib.

Also re-Khabib's admission that he was having seizures or convulsions while trying to make weight. Doesn't seem like he can keep doing it for much longer without a serious risk to his health. And he stated he has no interest in going up in weight. You'd wonder how many more fights Khabib wants...

McGregor should make Khabib wait. Fight Diaz - make a packet - a third fight will break 2.4 PPV with a lot of media. Let Khabib fight someone else - Khabib won't be long realizing what the difference in pay packet is between fighting McGregor and someone else. Khabib won't reach 400,000 PPV.

Did Khabib v Al do 300,000 buys?
    Lets be fair ,Conor is a very very rare case in MMA.
    Nobody before him ever made the type of money he has , so there is no yard stick to tell what happens to an MMA fighter when they are set for life money wise,
    Brock is probably in money terms the closet there has ever been to Conor and its not even close,
    Khabib won't be in the same planet as Conor in terms of attention , COnors a once in a lifetime guy for that,
    Also Khabib talking about seizures making weight is nonsense to me, its him trying to hide how he approached it very unprofessionally and is trying to make out he did everything he could which he clearly didn't his preparation in the past was awful  ,
    Khabib is a bullsh*tter, talks about respects of sport and all this and then loses exactly like Conor, Goes on about being a good Muslim but there's video of him paying bums to do press ups while laughing at them,Linked to that guy who's locked up in Russia, taking cash from the Kadyrov , His mangers dodgy past
    He's hides behind his religion and lack of English to pretend he is a simple humble man,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

What's ge getting out of cornering ammy fighters?

Money, they all pay fees to use the gym which pays his rent, staff wages, and provides him profits.

So literally like every other gym so

Yup. On all counts. It's his business. That's why he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yup. On all counts. It's his business. That's why he's there.
    I've always been under the impression that some of the fighters don't pay the membership as he has them coaching as well.
    Saves him paying someone else and saves the fighter a few quid on membership, some of which John makes back when cornering.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

So when the dust has settled what does everyone think the next step will be for Mcgregor in terms of fights? Where does he go from here, the fight loss will have to hurt and that can actually be a good thing in terms of making him dig deeper and refocus on his fighting but I think the whole whiskey thing is a big distraction as he will have lots of touring commitments to market it which is more time away from training, I think fighting khabib again straight away wouldn’t be wise and he should get a few other fights under his belt but another loss to him would be hard to come back from as a fighter, does anyone think even with a hard training camp and no distractions he could take khabib the next time? That is even if khabib is around next year to take a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,496 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The biggest money for a Khabib rematch, next to that would be Diaz rubber fight, after that maybe Poirier, Ferguson or back down to feather and fight Holloway.

• Advertisement

He can't possible fight Khabib next,
    Khabib will get a suspension and then Ferguson will have to fight him, He never lost his belt , he simply has to fight him next, Even with the UFC I can't see them putting anyone else next v Khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

For me personally the diaz trilogy fight does nothing for me. Diaz seems like a distant memory at this rate. Since McGregor vs Diaz 2 , McGregor has fought Eddie Alvarez, Floyd Mayweather, Khabib and taken a long rest along the way. Diaz never gets any crap for being inactive either.

I genuinely would love to see McGregor get a decent winnable fight under his belt before taking Khabib on again. Anthony Pettis, or welcoming Jose Aldo to 155 would be ideal I reckon. But I can't see that happening.

Why should Tony have to fight Conor? Tony is #1 contender, he's earned a title shot.
    Conor can get back in line and earn a fight with either.

Khabib's suspension will be 6 months max. He'll be free to fight by late April, he can fight Tony then.

This is one of the biggest problems with having the UFC as both the sanctioning body and promoter, they can screw over fighters like Tony for the sake of a few quid. Merit be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

With or without suspension I don't think Khabib fights for another 8-10 months. He's had 3 fights this year which is insane for him when you consider how much of an injury prone guy he was in the past, I reckon he always planned on taking it easy for a small while after 229.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why should Tony have to fight Conor? Tony is #1 contender,

This is one of the biggest problems with having the UFC as both the sanctioning body and promoter, they can screw over fighters like Tony for the sake of a few quid. Merit be damned.

you have answered your own question there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

A Diaz trilogy fight would be a bit of a guilty pleasure. You're guaranteed an awesome build-up and an exciting standup fight. It would've been almost the perfect fight if Nate beat Poirier. Tis a shame that fight fell through. Nate being inactive for so long does take a bit of the wind out of the trilogy fight at the moment.

Tony doesn't have to fight Conor no, but I'd imagine Tony is the kind of guy to relish the opportunity if an offer to fight Conor came in the door and Khabib was taking a break. Tony doesn't strike me as the wait for the title shot type either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

A Diaz trilogy fight would be a bit of a guilty pleasure. You're guaranteed an awesome build-up and an exciting standup fight. It would've been almost the perfect fight if Nate beat Poirier. Tis a shame that fight fell through. Nate being inactive for so long does take a bit of the wind out of the trilogy fight at the moment.

Tony doesn't have to fight Conor no, but I'd imagine Tony is the kind of guy to relish the opportunity if an offer to fight Conor came in the door and Khabib was taking a break. Tony doesn't strike me as the wait for the title shot type either.

Put Diaz and Conor in a conference together - it will sell. Next week - next year - ten years from now. It's money. People love em. Love watching them fight. They're really exciting fights.

Another factor of the 2.4 PPV is the amount of boxing and in general fans that Conor brought over after Mayweather fight. Add that to Diaz v Conor 3 - it will break records.

Tony would batter Conor..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lukker- wrote: »
    He can't really expect to get an instant title shot after 2 years out.

Are you talking about McG?
    Or Woodley?
    or Jones?
    Or maybe GSP?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It'll be next summer before either fight again so I don't think any suspension is going to matter. Don't forget Dee is ready to pop too so I don't see him entering a long 3 month camp late into her pregnancy and the child been born. Pretty conceivable its another 12 months before this fight happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hear hear, Conor is finished at the top level. He doesnt have the discipline, cardio or will power to get back to the top imo. A shame as hes an exciting fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

rob316 wrote: »
    It'll be next summer before either fight again so I don't think any suspension is going to matter. Don't forget Dee is ready to pop too so I don't see him entering a long 3 month camp late into her pregnancy and the child been born. Pretty conceivable its another 12 months before this fight happens.

Well he went on a bender in the UK for a month the last time, so I wouldn’t rule it out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mellor wrote: »
    Australian media reporting that Conor is coming to Oz, as part of the line up for Im a celebrity. Biazare rumour to start, even more bizarre if it's true.

It's not true. I'd wager about €980 on it not being true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

ricero wrote: »
    Hear hear, Conor is finished at the top level. He doesnt have the discipline, caridio or will power to get back to the top imo. A shame as hes an exciting fighter.

The two of yous may as well start riding each other lads Jesus.

I'd honestly see him beating Tony, he gets rocked every fight. Usada Pettis nearly finished him, lando had him like Bambi, would be very dangerous on the ground all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

ricero wrote: »
    Hear hear, Conor is finished at the top level. He doesnt have the discipline, cardio or will power to get back to the top imo. A shame as hes an exciting fighter.
    ASOT wrote: »
    The two of yous may as well start riding each other lads Jesus.

I'd honestly see him beating Tony, he gets rocked every fight. Usada Pettis nearly finished him, lando had him like Bambi, would be very dangerous on the ground all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Hang on, I have to come back to this as nobody else has. Are you actually saying Tony McGregor is one of the biggest celebrities in the world?!

He monetised his coinage video through Storyful and he's already made €90,000 from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

If Khabib gets a 6 month ban do you think Tony will sit it out and wait for that title shot or if he was offered a title eliminator v McGregor would he jump at it? And would McGregor take it?

I think if Khabib gets a 6 month ban we won't see him until after Ramdan, so July/August next year before he fights again IMO (that's if he gets a 6 month ban).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,496 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ferguson called out McGregor. He wants a payday before the golden goose is no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ferguson called out McGregor. He wants a payday before the golden goose is no more.

That was before McGregor got beat though. I guess he was taking the chance Conor was going to win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement