Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Whelo79 wrote: »
    If Khabib gets a 6 month ban do you think Tony will sit it out and wait for that title shot or if he was offered a title eliminator v McGregor would he jump at it? And would McGregor take it?

I think if Khabib gets a 6 month ban we won't see him until after Ramdan, so July/August next year before he fights again IMO (that's if he gets a 6 month ban).

As you say a six month ban along with Ramadam could see Khabib shelved until mid summer next year. It's also possible the NSAC could go harder on Khabib and give him say 9+ months and say McGregor gets 3-6 months.

If either of that happens and with the UFC's love of an Interim belt, McGregor vs Ferguson for one isn't too much of a stretch. You'd think Ferguson would definitely go for it, who knows about McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Also do Nevada have any rules about leaving the cage (that they've likely never enforced before)? I do remember New York threw a ban at Romero for leaving it to celebrate at 205, he got two months for that which was a joke of a ban.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/23/13732868/yoel-romero-suspended-60-days-by-nysac-for-leaving-cage-after-beating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Honestly think McGregor would easily beat Ferguson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

xtal191 wrote: »
    Honestly think McGregor would easily beat Ferguson

Would be a great fight and one Conor could definitely be a lot more confident about.

Tony's been rocked a few times by strikers that are not as good as McGregor (Pettis had him wobbled the other day).

Could still go either way but "Tony would destroy Conor" is a bit silly.

People still acting like he stumbled into the cage hungover with a pot belly at 229 and was subbed in 30 seconds. All things considered - the absurd level of opponent in particular, he didn't perform bad at all.

I'd say the Diaz I performance was a lot worse......and arguably his win in the second go wasn't anything amazing either despite the win considering the calibre of opponent.

McGregor's a KO artist in the first few rounds....if he doesn't get it done then, or if the opponent has an iron jaw, tends not to work out so well.

Nothing wrong with that, tons of high ranked fighters just like him and worse. (I know its HW but look at Derrick Lewis, could barely lift his arms against Volkov and gets a Hail Mary with 10 seconds to go in R3).

McGregor v Fergusson would be a stellar stand-up trade war. At this point I don't think a few defeats would remotely harm McGregors brand provided he puts up a good show, at this point he's only ever gonna be fighting top ranked guys so he can't possibly win them all.

All the talk about ruining his legacy is just ridiculous. Nothing can ever take away his meteoric rise to the top in such crazy, memorable fashion, it's a huge and colorful part of UFC history.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Problem with Tony when he is rocked he always seems to clinch, collapse the clinch then get his bearings.
    COnor would need to be patient (posture strike, posture strike) and not try to force the finish or risk being tied up.

Id love to see Conor Tony but maybe after Conor has got serious for 6 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Would be a great fight and one Conor could definitely be a lot more confident about.

Tony's been rocked a few times by strikers that are not as good as McGregor (Pettis had him wobbled the other day).

Could still go either way but "Tony would destroy Conor" is a bit silly.

People still acting like he stumbled into the cage hungover with a pot belly at 229 and was subbed in 30 seconds. All things considered - the absurd level of opponent in particular, he didn't perform bad at all.

I'd say the Diaz I performance was a lot worse......and arguably his win in the second go wasn't anything amazing either despite the win considering the calibre of opponent.

McGregor's a KO artist in the first few rounds....if he doesn't get it done then, or if the opponent has an iron jaw, tends not to work out so well.

Nothing wrong with that, tons of high ranked fighters just like him and worse. (I know its HW but look at Derrick Lewis, could barely lift his arms against Volkov and gets a Hail Mary with 10 seconds to go in R3).

McGregor v Fergusson would be a stellar stand-up trade war. At this point I don't think a few defeats would remotely harm McGregors brand provided he puts up a good show, at this point he's only ever gonna be fighting top ranked guys so he can't possibly win them all.

All the talk about ruining his legacy is just ridiculous. Nothing can ever take away his meteoric rise to the top in such crazy, memorable fashion, it's a huge and colorful part of UFC history.

That's a fact. He is a huge global star. More so, than Ronda ever was. And no matter who the stars are that follow - they will be sought to be compared with or will be compared to McGregor. The blueprint is in place now.

That's a fact. He is a hue global star. More so, than Ronda ever was. And no matter who the stars are that follow - they will be sought to be compared with or will be compared to McGregor. The blueprint is in place now.

For his aura and his ability not as much his legacy as a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tony has Wolverine-esque regenerative abilities. Him getting dropped against Pettis was the big moment of the fight but he actually did more damage with the elbow while he was backing up. He excels in those kind of scrambles https://streamable.com/if7v3

Tony has Wolverine-esque regenerative abilities. Him getting dropped against Pettis was the big moment of the fight but he actually did more damage with the elbow while he was backing up. He excels in those kind of scrambles https://streamable.com/if7v3

Yes thats a fact. His ability to clear house when he is in the SH!t is amazing. Pettis rocked him and he stumbled across the cage to take control of the exchange on grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Commanchie wrote: »

No chance. McGregor became a two weight champion in two of the most competitive divisions in the world at the time, Ronda was one dimensional and was fighting a load of nobodies and got throttled badly the two times she fought anyone decent.

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    No chance. McGregor became a two weight champion in two of the most competitive divisions in the world at the time, Ronda was one dimensional and was fighting a load of nobodies and got throttled badly the two times she fought anyone decent.

Im not comparin to Rhonda maybe you misunderstood me hahah.

I mean Conor as a stand alone Mixed martial artist will be known more for his personality then his fighting. No doubt he is the one of the greatest to ever do it, But I believe his persona over shadows it.

Yeah, Champion in two weight divisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Im not comparin to Rhonda maybe you misunderstood me hahah.

I mean Conor as a stand alone Mixed martial artist will be known more for his personality then his fighting. No doubt he is the one of the greatest to ever do it, But I believe his persona over shadows it.

Agreed he will no doubt be remembered for his personality but I think mcgregor deep down wants to be remembered as the greatest fighter ever and arguably had achieved that at featherweight but it’s his ego that pushed him to higher weight class etc and that hasn’t worked out as well although he did take alvarez he’s been shown up a bit more and certainly his outside pursuits have now distracted from him becoming the absolute best time away from training etc

Although when all is said and done I do not see Mcgregor even in his prime koing khabib with his hardest left, khabibs physique/shape just too strong the guys made of oak and will ultimately go down as the goat lightweight fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Tony would batter Conor..

With his slim fit Hugo Boss suit

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

Conor stared down every fighter that he has fought in the centre of the Octagon before the fight.

He couldn't even look Khabib in the eye. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Well lads, if the hunger and desire from McGregor genuinely is gone... By god its been some craic all the same. Some of the most memorable times of my life.

By god its been some craic all the same. Some of the most memorable times of my life.

That's great, Conor. What inspired the name dulux99 if you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well lads, if the hunger and desire from McGregor genuinely is gone... By god its been some craic all the same. Some of the most memorable times of my life.

Yep.

If it has come to an end (and I can’t see any more than Khabib 2 and/or Diaz 3, so two fights max left) I doubt most of us will ever see anything like it again in our lifetimes.

What a ride it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Im going with an ice cream theme with a flake and sprinkles, maybe two flakes even, imagine !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Conor already has an account. You'll get him banned with that talk :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

derfderf wrote: »
    Conor already has an account. You'll get him banned with that talk :).

2k6kfx.jpg

Im going with an ice cream theme with a flake and sprinkles, maybe two flakes even, imagine !

Whiskey flavored ice cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

John kavangh also said on joe rogan podcast that its more important that training partners they bring in get on with everyone when one would presume their qualifications would be main priority and him saying hes really not a fan of the trash talk and disrespect and that a rocky 3 style training camp is needed that its clear there is tension between them as to conors priorities and the way he is carrying himself.
    Dillon danis is another yes man that idolises conor and feeds his ego it really seems that everyone must obey conor and do everthing his way or you get the door. Conors ego was hurt by getting beaten in boxing sparring so released edited footage making himself look good against paulie malinaggi and chris heerden.
    All indications to me show a massive ego and you just have to be a yes man to conor or you get high road.
    When fighting mayweather people around him must of known that getting a top proven boxing trainer in would be damn right near necessary, the likes of a virgil hunter or garcia or a camp in big bear. Im guessing conors ego convinced him he didnt need anyone he could beat Floyd without no outside help and those around him too frightened to suggest a change.
    His ego got him to the top but his ego will also be the downfall of him i feel.

I have a lot of respect for Conor because he could have stayed at featherweight for a few more years and probably remained undefeated in UFC. He could have rematched Aldo, maybe Mendez, fought Edgar, Pettis and rematched Holloway.
    I think he wins all those fights, granted they would be tough.

But he wanted to fight some tougher opponents. In the Diaz fights, I thought Conor came across as the better fighter but just couldn't KO him. Remember, he stepped up to 170 for those fights.

He also absolutely destroyed Alvarez in what I think was his best performance in UFC.

Khabib is a freak. I haven't really seen a fighter before thats so determined to go to ground at every chance. I don't think anyone really knows how to approach him. I think Conor did well in defense but failed to hurt Khabib himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id love to see Khabib fight a top class MMA wrestler ,
     His biggest struggle was against Tibau , but who is the best wrestler in the division is it Kevin Lee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Whelo79 wrote: »
    That was before McGregor got beat though. I guess he was taking the chance Conor was going to win.

Tony will still make more money in a fight against Conor rather than a fight against Khabib, wouldn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

But he wanted to fight some tougher opponents. In the Diaz fights, I thought Conor came across as the better fighter but just couldn't KO him. Remember, he stepped up to 170 for those fights.

I'm a big Conor fan but that's just inaccurate.
    He didn't step up to 170, he fought at his natural weight.
    He weighs in or around the same in his other fights as he did for the two with Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Id love to see Khabib fight a top class MMA wrestler ,
     His biggest struggle was against Tibau , but who is the best wrestler in the division is it Kevin Lee ?

Justin gathie is also an incredible wrestler thou he never shows it.

I don't think Kevin Lee could keep pace with Khabib if the fight goes into the 4th round, he carries alot of muscle mass

• Advertisement

John kavangh also said on joe rogan podcast that its more important that training partners they bring in get on with everyone when one would presume their qualifications would be main priority and him saying hes really not a fan of the trash talk and disrespect and that a rocky 3 style training camp is needed that its clear there is tension between them as to conors priorities and the way he is carrying himself.
    Dillon danis is another yes man that idolises conor and feeds his ego it really seems that everyone must obey conor and do everthing his way or you get the door. Conors ego was hurt by getting beaten in boxing sparring so released edited footage making himself look good against paulie malinaggi and chris heerden.
    All indications to me show a massive ego and you just have to be a yes man to conor or you get high road.
    When fighting mayweather people around him must of known that getting a top proven boxing trainer in would be damn right near necessary, the likes of a virgil hunter or garcia or a camp in big bear. Im guessing conors ego convinced him he didnt need anyone he could beat Floyd without no outside help and those around him too frightened to suggest a change.
    His ego got him to the top but his ego will also be the downfall of him i feel.

Mayweather is also surrounded by Yes men and Yes women. It's a trait of superstar egos like that. It feeds the ego and self belief. But, yes has its drawbacks. But these people won't ever have camps without that kind of carry on. Because it fuels their ego and belief that they're one-offs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement