Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

I have a lot of respect for Conor because he could have stayed at featherweight for a few more years and probably remained undefeated in UFC. He could have rematched Aldo, maybe Mendez, fought Edgar, Pettis and rematched Holloway.
    I think he wins all those fights, granted they would be tough.

But he wanted to fight some tougher opponents. In the Diaz fights, I thought Conor came across as the better fighter but just couldn't KO him. Remember, he stepped up to 170 for those fights.

He also absolutely destroyed Alvarez in what I think was his best performance in UFC.

Khabib is a freak. I haven't really seen a fighter before thats so determined to go to ground at every chance. I don't think anyone really knows how to approach him. I think Conor did well in defense but failed to hurt Khabib himself.

He was way too big for Featherweight, it was killing him and i mean that literally. No one ever looked as bad in the UFC weighing in as Conor did at 145, remember the footage of him walking around before the weigh-in versus Chad? He was as close to death as anyone I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

JJayoo wrote: »
    Justin gathie is also an incredible wrestler thou he never shows it.

I don't think Kevin Lee could keep pace with Khabib if the fight goes into the 4th round, he carries alot of muscle mass

Kevin Lee is still a little green. He needs some more big-fight experience. Winning big fight experience before Khabib. Lee is too enthusiastic - and going too quick. Also I don't know how long more he will make 155 - i think that's a fair question too.

Kavanagh and McGregor look like they are done to me, Kavanagh since the loss has gave some great insight into the realities of working with Conor has become. I couldn't stand to hear an interview with him for the past 3 years, so much ****e spilled out of his mouth, but his past 2 interviews he came across well, all the little sayings were gone (update the software to protect the hardware & Win or learn) he just talked sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

JJayoo wrote: »
    Justin gathie is also an incredible wrestler thou he never shows it.

I don't think Kevin Lee could keep pace with Khabib if the fight goes into the 4th round, he carries alot of muscle mass

Kevin Lee is still a little green. He needs some more big-fight experience. Winning big fight experience before Khabib. Lee is too enthusiastic - and going to too quick. Also I don't know how long more he will make 155 - i think that's a fair question too.
    Its strange cause at the moment there isn't really any good high wrestler at lightweight,
    Khabib time has come at the perfect moment for him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

PLOPS wrote: »
    He was way too big for Featherweight, it was killing him and i mean that literally. No one ever looked as bad in the UFC weighing in as Conor did at 145, remember the footage of him walking around before the weigh-in versus Chad? He was as close to death as anyone I've ever seen.
    Tony looks rough at LW when he weighs in, as does Khabib.

Also, Rumble when he used to be what, WW was it? Never understood how he could get down to that considering his size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I have a lot of respect for Conor because he could have stayed at featherweight for a few more years and probably remained undefeated in UFC. He could have rematched Aldo, maybe Mendez, fought Edgar, Pettis and rematched Holloway.
    I think he wins all those fights, granted they would be tough.

But he wanted to fight some tougher opponents. In the Diaz fights, I thought Conor came across as the better fighter but just couldn't KO him. Remember, he stepped up to 170 for those fights.

He also absolutely destroyed Alvarez in what I think was his best performance in UFC.

Khabib is a freak. I haven't really seen a fighter before thats so determined to go to ground at every chance. I don't think anyone really knows how to approach him. I think Conor did well in defense but failed to hurt Khabib himself.

Disagree , no way in hell he could have stayed at featherweight for even 2 more fights IMO

Them days are long, long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I read article online this morn from Khabibs uncle saying that khabib turned down offer from mcgregor for rematch and plans to fight Ferguson next year then retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Calltocall wrote: »
    I read article online this morn from Khabibs uncle saying that khabib turned down offer from mcgregor for rematch and plans to fight Ferguson next year then retire
    I saw his da quoted as saying he has already turned down $15 million for the rematch and wants to fight Tony. Josh Thompson said he was retiring after the McGregor fight. Khabib says he wants to move up to 170 and fight GSP but he also wants to fight Tony & Mayweather. There is so much sh*te talk in this sport that nothing any fighter, manager, coach, training partner etc... says has any real meaning. Let them all sh*te on until actual news is announced is my take on the whole sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Calltocall wrote: »

Sounds about right there was talk if he won hed retire. He wont risk fighting Conor again IMO incase his record ends with a blemish.

Id say he will fight fergie but after so many attemots and fails at that fight i dont know. I think Kevin Lee could give him some trouble with his strength. Conor showed if you have have wrist control you can limit his GnP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Commanchie wrote: »
    Sounds about right there was talk if he won hed retire. He wont risk fighting Conor again IMO incase his record ends with a blemish.

Id say he will fight fergie but after so many attemots and fails at that fight i dont know. I think Kevin Lee could give him some trouble with his strength. Conor showed if you have have wrist control you can limit his GnP

Conor is probably the most winnable and lucrative fight out of those three. If he doesn't fight Conor again it's because he wants to cement his legacy by beating Tony. Then maybe a GSP for fun before retirement if that's in the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Also, Rumble when he used to be what, WW was it? Never understood how he could get down to that considering his size

Rumble has wins where he made weight at WW against former challenger Dan Hardy and at HW against former champion Arlovski. Insane stuff. He'd struggle to make 265 based on the most recent photos.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Tony looks rough at LW when he weighs in, as does Khabib.

Tony looks very gaunt even after re hydrating, Khabib looks ill but Conor looked like a skeleton, he couldn't even talk his vocal chrods were so dry. Rumble looked like death actually, but that was because he was 2 weight divisions below his actual weight, most times he tried to weigh in at 170lb he missed it too, then at 185 he missed as well.

All i'm trying to say was Mcgregor is way too big at 145, and he could have made the weight again, but i think he was hurtin ghis body longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How do people think the UFC will handle Khabibs team mates over the post fight brawl? Khabib has said he wont fight in the UFC again if they are not re-instated to the roster. He cited honour amongst brothers as his reason so I dont think he is going to back down on this one, I dont even think it is a bluff either, he is deadly serious. Puts the UFC between a rock and a hard place imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How do people think the UFC will handle Khabibs team mates over the post fight brawl? Khabib has said he wont fight in the UFC again if they are not re-instated to the roster. He cited honour amongst brothers as his reason so I dont think he is going to back down on this one, I dont even think it is a bluff either, he is deadly serious. Puts the UFC between a rock and a hard place imo.

Like they handle lots of things. Initial outrage, give it a few weeks til things die down and quietly slip them back in the back door.

Did the Mac Life have coverage of 229? A company Dana swore would never have access to an event again :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The cornerman/fighter that punched Conor in the back of the head and boasted about it in Instagram will not be back in the UFC.

Dana also said Jon Jones would never headline again...

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The cornerman/fighter that punched Conor in the back of the head and boasted about it in Instagram will not be back in the UFC.

He shouldn't be of course. But I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he did come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Conor is probably the most winnable and lucrative fight out of those three. If he doesn't fight Conor again it's because he wants to cement his legacy by beating Tony. Then maybe a GSP for fun before retirement if that's in the mix.

GSP won't fight Khabib

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

dulux99 wrote: »
    He shouldn't be of course. But I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he did come back.

He's a trained fighter that knows the risks in the punch he threw.

Has he even had a fight in the UFC yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bring back Paul Daley if them lads get back in. So many good fights could be made.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    He's a trained fighter that knows the risks in the punch he threw.

Has he even had a fight in the UFC yet?

Yeah, both of them. Banned by USADA during their UFC stints. Ruslan Magomedov and Zubaira Tukhugov got two-year suspensions due to failed drug tests. Had a fight with Artem coming up.

Yeah, both of them. Banned by USADA during their UFC stints. Ruslan Magomedov and Zubaira Tukhugov got two-year suspensions due to failed drug tests. Had a fight with Artem coming up.

Not anymore he doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Like they handle lots of things. Initial outrage, give it a few weeks til things die down and quietly slip them back in the back door.

Did the Mac Life have coverage of 229? A company Dana swore would never have access to an event again :D

yeah agree that is how it will likely play out, because Khabib isnt going to break his honour. Puts them in awkward postion if there is a repeat of it but they probably dont really give a dam :D

I would be shocked if he came back. Doubly so after Khabib's threats (to breach contract).

If Khabib was clever he would have kept those threats private. Dealt with it behind closed doors. Now that they've been made public, there's no way UFC can keep the guy. If they do it looks like they are giving in to contract breach threats. Opens the door for everyone else.

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I would be shocked if he came back. Doubly so after Khabib's threats (to breach contract).

If Khabib was clever he would have kept those threats private. Dealt with it behind closed doors. Now that they've been made public, there's no way UFC can keep the guy. If they do it looks like they are giving in to contract breach threats. Opens the door for everyone else.

Not a chance.
    Tukhugov has become a mini star in Russia, his Instagram has shot up to 1.8million and with the UFC keen to have more shows in Russia he would be a handy guy to have. At a later date, with the hype machine in full flow, Tukhugov Vs The goat Lobo in Moscow, Khabib in one corner McG in the other, or at least promoted like that would build a big buzz.

The guy in the red t-shirt is the one to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

That’s it, it’s a fighting legacy thing with this guy, personally I don’t think he’ll take another fight with McGregor, he’s proven his point, Conor may have to suck it up and focus on other fights, link to the article below, there’s a further link in that article to the full one, it goes into a lot of detail.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.punditarena.com/mma/joemcbrien759/uncle-khabib-fight-ferguson-retirement/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

snotboogie wrote: »
    GSP won't fight Khabib

Khabib is the only person GSP would fight right now, according to himself.

Khabib is the only person GSP would fight right now, according to himself.

Isn't he battling ulcerative colitis? I know bulking up to 185 was a disaster for him in terms of his health... A weight cut to 155 then, doesn't seem like a bright idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Lads where’s the Joe Brolly chat?

• Advertisement

lol

463890.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement