Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Golden boy is set to be in the crowd at UFC 223 to cheer on Artem vs Caceres , no doubt ferguson or khabib will have something to say whoever wins .

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/conor-mcgregor-set-crowd-ufc-223-artem-lobov-gets-tricky-fight-150838

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's actually a smart move by the UFC/Artem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Golden boy is set to be in the crowd at UFC 223 to cheer on Artem vs Caceres , no doubt ferguson or khabib will have something to say whoever wins .

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/conor-mcgregor-set-crowd-ufc-223-artem-lobov-gets-tricky-fight-150838
    Lukker- wrote: »
    It's actually a smart move by the UFC/Artem

But there is literally nothing in either article to say he'll be there. Its Joe.ie searching for clicks by putting 2+2 together and getting McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Yay! lets make UFC 223 all about conor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

well if he isint there it just goes to show he dont give a F about teammates or even returning to the UFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭cletus

But there is literally nothing in either article to say he'll be there. Its Joe.ie searching for clicks by putting 2+2 together and getting McGregor.

Joe.ie is completely a clickbait site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

He probably will be there though, not like him to miss Artem's fights. Should place him there perfectly for an in-cage confrontation with winner of Khabib/Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib smashes Tony and calls Conor out in his post fight speech saying he's ready to fight again right now. Then Ronda Rousey comes in on a ziplone wearing rowdy Roddy pippers leather jacket and rock bottoms them both before CM Punk does an acrobatic flying elbow from the top of the cage and the win the mixed tag team title.

It's a ****ing joke at this stage, the might as well do the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib smashes Tony and calls Conor out in his post fight speech saying he's ready to fight again right now. Then Ronda Rousey comes in on a ziplone wearing rowdy Roddy pippers leather jacket and rock bottoms them both before CM Punk does an acrobatic flying elbow from the top of the cage and the win the mixed tag team title.

It's a ****ing joke at this stage, the might as well do the above.

Its not that bad. Some people have gotten way over the top and pure hyperbole since the WME purchase :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If he goes to support Artem he'll leave the building before Tony/Khabib fight. He's not giving the winner the chance to mouth off at him with no mic to return.

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    If he goes to support Artem he'll leave the building before Tony/Khabib fight. He's not giving the winner the chance to mouth off at him with no mic to return.

I'd imagine they'd have him in the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd imagine they'd have him in the cage.

They'll need to keep the booze and drugs away from him if they let him in there :pac:

That card is shaping up really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

It really is a shame what's happening here with McGregor. I don't blame him for not fighting to be honest, knowing the UFC they are criminally lowballing him. They wouldn't have sold the company for 4 billion if he didn't have the year he did in 2015. He didn't even compete in the UFC in 2016 and he still was their most lucrative asset because of the Mayweather fight.

But the fact is - when we are telling our grandkids in the future about this run he went on, nobody will give a sh*t that he was being lowballed - the fact will remain that he won two World titles, didn't defend either of them, and was stripped due to inactivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

dulux99 wrote: »
    It really is a shame what's happening here with McGregor. I don't blame him for not fighting to be honest, knowing the UFC they are criminally lowballing him. They wouldn't have sold the company for 4 billion if he didn't have the year he did in 2015. He didn't even compete in the UFC in 2016 and he still was their most lucrative asset because of the Mayweather fight.

But the fact is - when we are telling our grandkids in the future about this run he went on, nobody will give a sh*t that he was being lowballed - the fact will remain that he won two World titles, didn't defend either of them, and was stripped due to inactivity.

2017 you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    ..knowing the UFC they are criminally lowballing him. They wouldn't have sold the company for 4 billion if he didn't have the year he did in 2015.

The UFC that are lowballing him and the UFC that cashed in 4 billion are two different groups though. If anything the current owners paid extra due to Conor's 2015/2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mellor wrote: »
    The UFC that are lowballing him and the UFC that cashed in 4 billion are two different groups though. If anything the current owners paid extra due to Conor's 2015/2016

Yeah I know, I didn't articulate that properly. The fact is he is the face of the company and they're most likely not compensating him to that degree. It probably wouldn't happen in any other sport where the unrivaled top star can be so underpayed. Again this is only me speculating as I don't know what he's been offered but this current regime seem totally fcking miserable. Such as trying to fob off paying John dodson last week when his opponent couldn't make weight. Shambolic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tanjee83

I wonder if Dana White’s job is on the line if Conor never fights again.....

Tanjee83 wrote: »
    Firing Dana hurts their brand more than it hurts Dana tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'm certain he fights again, provided it's an event with the necessary magnitude. Really, at this point, I just don't think Tony in Vegas will do it for him. Yes it's a fight we all want to see but on the draw/ hype scale it tapers off from what came before, which is not how Conor does business.

- Khabib in Russia necessarily accommodated for the PPV market in North America will do it.

- Mayweather rematch will do it, though here's hoping that doesn't come to pass. Won't be as big but will be sufficiently big to trump anything a UFC match-up could muster.

- In the absence of the above, Nate 3 will eventually come in to being.

I think it's obvious who the concerned parties want to see with the W at 223. As Dana fanboyed at the presser , 'it's Khabib time'

If Tony chokes out Khabib. All that Khabib Hype is transferred to Tony. And his stock skyrockets. It's like highlander.

• Advertisement

If Tony chokes out Khabib. All that Khabib Hype is transferred to Tony. And his stock skyrockets. It's like highlander.

That dude just isn't marketable. I hope he wins too, because I think Conor would smoke him compared to Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I think Tony would be more exciting in the build up. The **** talking between the two would be fairly tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I think Tony would be more exciting in the build up. The **** talking between the two would be fairly tasty

One could say it would be f*cking ridiculous :cool:

I think Khabib vs Conor would be more entertaining build up wise tbh

Firing Dana hurts their brand more than it hurts Dana tbh.
    It was tongue-in-cheek statement.....

I think Khabib vs Conor would be more entertaining build up wise tbh
    Agreed, but Khabib projects a turdish demeanor about himself. For someone who has fought as little in 2 years himself, he really is drilling this Conor thing into the ground. Moreover, I doubt Khabib would have his record if he were to fight in his true division.

With talks again of Mayweather possibly rematching in MMA, honestly, I think this is the best option for Conor first, to validate his brand and secure his worth. If it goes through, it will solidify his market value.

It will be interesting to see what happens when April comes around......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Moreover, I doubt Khabib would have his record if he were to fight in his true division

I'd argue that statement is far more relative to Conor as opposed to Khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What's your "true" division?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I don't think Khabib is as unstoppable at 170 but I think he'd surprise a lot of people.
    If Conor fights Floyd in an octagon it massively tarnishes his MMA legitimacy in my opinion. All this talk about backing up the talk goes out the window entirely. His moments of brilliance in MMA are starting to be forgotten by the masses in favour of all this party/celeb lifestyle. All said and done I feel MMA fans won't hold him in anywhere near the same regard as the other champs of this era with his lack of defences and constant courting of attention for things other than fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Starting to think Conor is really scared of losing again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement