Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I think Tony would be more exciting in the build up. The **** talking between the two would be fairly tasty

50% of it would be anyway, Tony is a cringy fúck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

D'Agger wrote: »
    Some of it a bit cheddar alright, but he's such a weirdo I think it'd make it very interesting.
    Instead of Khabib's I smash you blurb over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Starting to think Conor is really scared of losing again

Think that myself tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Well know alot more come april if conor goes to UFC 223 to support Artem , i dont know though i cant see him sitting there for the khabib v ferguson winner and not been able to talk sh!t back when whoever wins . And if he leaves before that fight it just gives either of the 2 more ammo to fire at him :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

D'Agger wrote: »

So is Conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

why wouldn't he talk sh1t back to them? I'd imagine it'd be a similar situation to Aldo v Edgar 2 where he'll be cageside watching intently and he'll gladly welcome any talk back.

though it's hard to know whether the UFC will actually strip the belt before that night or let him keep it so that the above confrontation has more legitimacy on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

CatFromHue wrote: »
    So is Conor

Yeah difference is Tony has the wit of a 15 year old boy child. I personally find it amusing and like him as a fighter, but no one would ever be drawn to his press conferences. You know there is gonna be some quality verbal sparring when McGregor fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I can honestly see Mcgregor all but done with fighting by the end of 2020. I reckon he has 3 fights max left perhaps 4. The 3 mma fights being the winner of khabib v tony, diaz part 3 and GSP.

Then a boxing rematch with Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tanjee83 wrote: »
    With talks again of Mayweather possibly rematching in MMA, honestly, I think this is the best option for Conor first, to validate his brand and secure his worth. If it goes through, it will solidify his market value.

Seriously? What drugs are you on?
    It's nothing like Conor wanting to take on Mayweather at his sport. Conor did it for the money, no other reason.
    Mayweather doesn't stand a chance against Conor in MMA. He won't take a fight like that because he doesn't want to lose, which is a certainty, and he doesn't need the money.

Stop talking about this joke of a possible match up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For what it's worth Floyd is older than DC, Maia, and Belfort.

He's 41 next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I reckon McGregor attends, belt in hand, and sits cage side for the whole card with it draped over his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

ricero wrote: »
    I can honestly see Mcgregor all but done with fighting by the end of 2020. I reckon he has 3 fights max left perhaps 4. The 3 mma fights being the winner of khabib v tony, diaz part 3 and GSP.

Then a boxing rematch with Mayweather.

Pretty much zero chance of Mayweather boxing in 2020

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tanjee83

Effects wrote: »
    With talks again of Mayweather possibly rematching in MMA, honestly, I think this is the best option for Conor first, to validate his brand and secure his worth. If it goes through, it will solidify his market value.

Seriously? What drugs are you on?
    It's nothing like Conor wanting to take on Mayweather at his sport. Conor did it for the money, no other reason.
    Mayweather doesn't stand a chance against Conor in MMA. He won't take a fight like that because he doesn't want to lose, which is a certainty, and he doesn't need the money.

Stop talking about this joke of a possible match up.

He’s always been about the money, and he always will. His legacy will be more about how he changed the game and the rules, and didn’t follow the UFC pathway of many years to maintain a legacy. Not to mention the minimal pay UFC fighters receive compared to other league sports.

I’m not saying that fighting Mayweather MMA will validate him as a fighter, but let’s just say it is to happen, then basically, it validating him as a brand and his worth as a fighter and entertainer to bring a highly celebrated boxer into the octagon and generate a level of millions flowing into a UFC event that will be unique. No other fighter has been able to generate this level of appeal into the octagon. That’s what I’m talking about.

If it were about legitimizing his division that he currently is the champ of, then a fight between Tony should of already happened. And Khabib would of never gotten his opportunity to jump the que and get a title shot. But for whatever little movement has occurred with the UFC 223 fight announcement, it still revolves around Conor and what he is going to do next. And he’s always been ahead of the game. So if that means a rematch with Floyd in the octagon, and it’s never been done before, then I say good for him.

There are a lot of people who are waiting anxiously what his next move will be. There is a whole sport waiting anxiously what his next move will be. If that doesn’t symbolize that he’s at the top of his game, then I don’t know what else does. More power to him......

pone2012 wrote: »
    Moreover, I doubt Khabib would have his record if he were to fight in his true division

I'd argue that statement is far more relative to Conor as opposed to Khabib

In what way exactly? He beat out the featherweight division in such a short time and always made weight and never pulled out of an event. Conor’s true division is 155, and that is why the pressure is on him and why a cloud of uncertainty surrounds him. But, he hasn’t the fight record in the LW division for people to do MMA math on his ass and verify speculation.

Khabib’s record is from the LW division and he has a very complex history with the division and has struggled immensely with the division.

So, no, it is not far more relative to Conor. It is time for Khabib to put up, or shut up. And he knows it. Everyone knows it. Conor can walk away at the point and never fight again. There is a significant difference.

Ush1 wrote: »
    What's your "true" division?:confused:

The division of love for the sport and the appreciation that fighters, past and present, bring to it. And the division where I find Conor very interesting compared to any fighter that has entered the sport.

What’s your true division, Champ?

So, no, it is not far more relative to Conor. It is time for Khabib to put up, or shut up. And he knows it. Everyone knows it. Conor can walk away at the point and never fight again. There is a significant difference.

Are you high or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Excellent reply in the comments section of his Instagram post about back mount top

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent reply in the comments section of his Instagram post about back mount top

Who the fook is that guy and what did he do with Conor!! Would be brilliant if he kept this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Who the fook is that guy and what did he do with Conor!! Would be brilliant if he kept this up.

I had the same exact thought myself when I read that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

In what way exactly? He beat out the featherweight division in such a short time and always made weight and never pulled out of an event. Conor’s true division is 155, and that is why the pressure is on him and why a cloud of uncertainty surrounds him. But, he hasn’t the fight record in the LW division for people to do MMA math on his ass and verify speculation.

Khabib’s record is from the LW division and he has a very complex history with the division and has struggled immensely with the division.

So Khabib has a recording of 9/0 at lightweight... Conor has a 1/0

Khabib is a smaller LW by comparison to a McGregor FW

Apart from Eddie...The last two times Conor fought a person nearer his true size he got decimated the first time and barely scrope the second.......

By comparison Khabib has completely dominates everyone he fought

Oh and Conor was stripped of the FW Belt due to inactivity and looks like he's going to be stripped of the LAW also

And you think Khabib is the one to put up or shut up ??? Haha

I think you either need to review your statement or go to specsavers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Apart from Eddie...The last two times Conor fought a person nearer his true size he got decimated the first time and barely scrope the second.......

Oh and Conor was stripped of the FW Belt due to inactivity and looks like he's going to be stripped of the LAW also

Tibau?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Tibau.

Edit: Damn you Lukker! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The division of love for the sport and the appreciation that fighters, past and present, bring to it. And the division where I find Conor very interesting compared to any fighter that has entered the sport.

What’s your true division, Champ?

Say whut?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ush1 wrote: »
    Say whut?

Something something Joy Division?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

In fairness to McGregor, the size difference between him and diaz was greater than the size difference between him and all his 145 opponents (bar maybe mendes, but its close)....he really wasn't that huge a featherweight, he talked the size thing up more than it actually was, and he did always look pretty bad weighing in, but judging by the way his body looked when he weighed 168 for the nate fights, and the way it looked fighting at featherweight,.I doubt he was cutting more than 15lbs to make weight. No more than holloway or aldo cut, definitely less than poirier was etc...

The three fighters mentioned above were all most definitely 'near his true size'

Khabib is 9 in UFC but 25 overall. Conor is 1 in UFC, but has also fought in multiple divisions. Which, if you re- read my comment, you would see is my entire point.

Explain this...
    Khabib is 5’10” Conor is 5’8”..... by comparison, McGregor is an average sized FW and a smaller LW, while Khabib is an average sized LW.
    Diaz is 6’0” and McGregor is 5’8”..... Eddie Alvarez is 5’10”. When you factor the fact that the 2 Diaz fights happened at welterweight, things get into perspective more size wise.

Now, if you had said that Nate Diaz had beat McGregor in the first fight on short notice, then I would agree with you 100%.

As for the second fight, Conor won. It wasn’t a draw. It wasn’t a loss. It was a win.

Going by your argument above, Khabib hasn’t completely dominated everyone he has fought. The truth is, within the MMA community, Khabibs record actually raises a lot of suspicion and questions and is viewed as severely padded.

And he most definitely didn’t completely dominate over Eddie Barboza. And going off of that fight, he has a tough fight with Tony.

If you remember, when Conor was stripped of FW, it caused a bit of a stir. Conor’s coach came out and questioned the stripping because he was never notified by the UFC about it. Dana came out and said that he spoke with Conor directly and told him to pick a division since he wasn’t going to allow him to hold up one division while defending the other. He was stripped very shortly after he won the LW title, giving him zero opportunities to defend.

The irony of it all is that it seems that Conor has made his millions fighting in another sport, and still is holding up a division due to inactivity, and has yet to be stripped. The reason why Conor is very affective and efficient at what he does.

I get it..... it’s only fair that there are Khabib nut huggers since there are Conor nut huggers.

I think you need to know your fighters stats before you make your statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Khabib is 9 in UFC but 25 overall. Conor is 1 in UFC, but has also fought in multiple divisions. Which, if you re- read my comment, you would see is my entire point.

Explain this...
    Khabib is 5’10” Conor is 5’8”..... by comparison, McGregor is an average sized FW and a smaller LW, while Khabib is an average sized LW.

Diaz is 6’0” and McGregor is 5’8”..... Eddie Alvarez is 5’10”. When you factor the fact that the 2 Diaz fights happened at welterweight, things get into perspective more size wise.

Now, if you had said that Nate Diaz had beat McGregor in the first fight on short notice, then I would agree with you 100%.

As for the second fight, Conor won. It wasn’t a draw. It wasn’t a loss. It was a win.

Going by your argument above, Khabib hasn’t completely dominated everyone he has fought. The truth is, within the MMA community, Khabibs record actually raises a lot of suspicion and questions and is viewed as severely padded.

And he most definitely didn’t completely dominate over Eddie Barboza. And going off of that fight, he has a tough fight with Tony.

If you remember, when Conor was stripped of FW, it caused a bit of a stir. Conor’s coach came out and questioned the stripping because he was never notified by the UFC about it. Dana came out and said that he spoke with Conor directly and told him to pick a division since he wasn’t going to allow him to hold up one division while defending the other. He was stripped very shortly after he won the LW title, giving him zero opportunities to defend.

The irony of it all is that it seems that Conor has made his millions fighting in another sport, and still is holding up a division due to inactivity, and has yet to be stripped. The reason why Conor is very affective and efficient at what he does.

I get it..... it’s only fair that there are Khabib nut huggers since there are Conor nut huggers.

I think you need to know your fighters stats before you make your statement.

Alvarez isn't taller than McGregor.

Fall_Guy wrote: »

In fairness to McGregor, the size difference between him and diaz was greater than the size difference between him and all his 145 opponents (bar maybe mendes, but its close)....he really wasn't that huge a featherweight, he talked the size thing up more than it actually was, and he did always look pretty bad weighing in, but judging by the way his body looked when he weighed 168 for the nate fights, and the way it looked fighting at featherweight,.I doubt he was cutting more than 15lbs to make weight. No more than holloway or aldo cut, definitely less than poirier was etc...

The three fighters mentioned above were all most definitely 'near his true size'

90% agree with you. Diaz is a big boy. Conor is a pretty tiny guy. The moment he is at 170 and above, he looks soft and obviously his body frame can’t carry that extra weight and it affects his fighting.

His ideal fighting weight is at 155..... while I appreciate what he did in FW division, most weigh ins he looked like death and unhealthy. Then there were the weigh ins where he looked just fine and dandy.

I’m sure he appreciated not having to cut weight and have a full belly with the two Diaz fights. Hunger is a mental bitch, and cutting weight is a terror, especially since muscle mass weights more. Imagine it, having to keep muscle weight for fighting purposes, but having to cut weight at the same time. It’s a complete oxymoron of a concept. And one I don’t understand since this is a sport and health should be promoted. One of the biggest draw back of the sport, in my opinion. I always cringe and feel sorry for fighter durin weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

No chance Eddie is 5ft 10

1111-conor-mcgregor-eddie-alvarez-01-1200x630.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Sensei Conor is always funny to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement