Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tanjee83 wrote: »
    Khabib is 9 in UFC but 25 overall. Conor is 1 in UFC, but has also fought in multiple divisions. Which, if you re- read my comment, you would see is my entire point.

Explain this...
    Khabib is 5’10” Conor is 5’8”..... by comparison, McGregor is an average sized FW and a smaller LW, while Khabib is an average sized LW.

Diaz is 6’0” and McGregor is 5’8”..... Eddie Alvarez is 5’10”. When you factor the fact that the 2 Diaz fights happened at welterweight, things get into perspective more size wise.

Now, if you had said that Nate Diaz had beat McGregor in the first fight on short notice, then I would agree with you 100%.

As for the second fight, Conor won. It wasn’t a draw. It wasn’t a loss. It was a win.

Going by your argument above, Khabib hasn’t completely dominated everyone he has fought. The truth is, within the MMA community, Khabibs record actually raises a lot of suspicion and questions and is viewed as severely padded.

And he most definitely didn’t completely dominate over Eddie Barboza. And going off of that fight, he has a tough fight with Tony.

If you remember, when Conor was stripped of FW, it caused a bit of a stir. Conor’s coach came out and questioned the stripping because he was never notified by the UFC about it. Dana came out and said that he spoke with Conor directly and told him to pick a division since he wasn’t going to allow him to hold up one division while defending the other. He was stripped very shortly after he won the LW title, giving him zero opportunities to defend.

The irony of it all is that it seems that Conor has made his millions fighting in another sport, and still is holding up a division due to inactivity, and has yet to be stripped. The reason why Conor is very affective and efficient at what he does.

I get it..... it’s only fair that there are Khabib nut huggers since there are Conor nut huggers.

I think you need to know your fighters stats before you make your statement.

Barboza was 100% dominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Explain this...
    Khabib is 5’10” Conor is 5’8”..... by comparison, McGregor is an average sized FW and a smaller LW, while Khabib is an average sized LW.

You appear to be confusing height with size. There is a co-relation obviously, but using height as an absolutely measure of size is pretty stupid.
    Mark Hunt is 5'10" - which should put the whole thing to rest.
    McGregor is 5’8”..... Eddie Alvarez is 5’10”.
    Not sure where you pulled those stats from. We can say for certain they are incorrect though.
    Both Eddie and Conor are listed at 5'9" on their official profiles. I'm not going to suggest those heights are perfectly accurate - but if anyone is taller, it's not Eddie. That's obvious from the 205 photos.

Conor-McGregor-Eddie-Alvarez-731644.jpg

conor-mcgregor-eddie-alvarez-faceoff-ufc-205.jpg

Going by your argument above, Khabib hasn’t completely dominated everyone he has fought. The truth is, within the MMA community, Khabibs record actually raises a lot of suspicion and questions and is viewed as severely padded.

And he most definitely didn’t completely dominate over Eddie Barboza. And going off of that fight, he has a tough fight with Tony.

Seriously?
    It was absolutely dominant in Khabibs favour. The stats highlights pretty clearly. 7 out of 9 rounds on the official score cards were 10-8 in Khabibs favour (30-24 and 30-25 x2). The majority of the 18 media scored it 30-25 for Khabib. Some were 30-26 or 30-24.
    Honestly, have you seen that fight?

I think you need to know your fighters stats before you make your statement.

Kinda ironic statement tbh.

Hunger is a mental bitch, and cutting weight is a terror, especially since muscle mass weights more. Imagine it, having to keep muscle weight for fighting purposes, but having to cut weight at the same time. It’s a complete oxymoron of a concept.
    Muscle doesn't weight more. A lb of muscle of tissue weighs a lb, regardless of it being fat or muscle.
    Muscle mass is made up of water, fat isn't. And since weight cutting involves dehydration, carrying a higher % of muscle mass (for a given weight) makes the weight cut easier, not harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Latest Tweet from McGregor suggesting his next fight could be in Croker.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/965378165144195072

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd read that as a plug for his Whiskey and not for a Croker event

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'd read that as a plug for his Whiskey and not for a Croker event
    Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Tanjee83

You appear to be confusing height with size. There is a co-relation obviously, but using height as an absolutely measure of size is pretty stupid.
    Mark Hunt is 5'10" - which should put the whole thing to rest.

No, I’m not. I was responding to the person who said that Khabib is smaller FW than Conor, so I posted height of other fighters he named as a reference that size is a combo of height, weight, body mass, reach. Khabib is a big boy. Conor is not such a big boy. Khabib is def bigger than Conor. Khabib is def using weight class manipulation to his advantage.
    Not sure where you pulled those stats from. We can say for certain they are incorrect though.
    Both Eddie and Conor are listed at 5'9" on their official profiles. I'm not going to suggest those heights are perfectly accurate - but if anyone is taller, it's not Eddie. That's obvious from the 205 photos

Various sites have various information. UFC says they both are 5’9”, so for argument sake, since they are both UFC contracted fighters, 5’9” it is. But, if You stick your chin out and pull your shoulders back, you can make yourself appear bigger and more threatening than your opponent.
    Seriously?
    It was absolutely dominant in Khabibs favour. The stats highlights pretty clearly. 7 out of 9 rounds on the official score cards were 10-8 in Khabibs favour (30-24 and 30-25 x2). The majority of the 18 media scored it 30-25 for Khabib. Some were 30-26 or 30-24.
    Honestly, have you seen that fight?

The 10-8 rule is bull**** and treats MMA as an offensive sport. It based on judge’s consideration of the two fighters, which is where we end up with dangerous situations like Priscilla VS Valentina where refs start deciding not to call a fight to give the other fighter a chance.

Moreover, if the 10-8 rule is considered, then at least make the bout 5 rounds versus 3 rounds. MMA is a skill based sport, and one round one fighter can dominate, while the next 3 rounds a fighter can switch the game plan and dominate.

Muscle doesn't weight more. A lb of muscle of tissue weighs a lb, regardless of it being fat or muscle.
    Muscle mass is made up of water, fat isn't. And since weight cutting involves dehydration, carrying a higher % of muscle mass (for a given weight) makes the weight cut easier, not harder.

Muscle mass weighs more because it’s skeletal. I think you’re thinking of lean muscle, which is different to muscle mass. Lean muscle is made up of more water, hence why fighters will flush their bodies out with dehydration and no salt intake. If fighters lost muscle mass, they wouldn’t be able to fight after flushing out their bodies. Moreover, it would take too long to lose and too long to gain back. That is why fighters can drop 20-30 pounds 5 days leading up to weigh in, while still doing intense training camps to keep their muscle mass, because they can gain that water loss weight back in 24 hours, and still be mean fighting machines and not affect their performance.

Weight cutting is not easy. It is extremely dangerous, and there needs to be the guarantee that that weight can be gained back in a very rapid time frame in order to fight. It also is class manipulation. Performance drugs are illegal, but cutting 20-30 pounds for weigh ins 3 times a year is perfectly legal. Not all fighters need to drop that weight, and are true weights of their division, but risk facing a fighter on fight day that is now 20-30 pounds heavier than them. Not to mention the strain fighters that are dropping the weight, what they have to experience in order to fight. It is something that I don’t agree with the sport. Cyborg is my main example in this..... UFC won’t provide her her natural class, so in order to fight, she is forced to cut weight. Not to mention how many fighters have had medical emergencies because of weight cutting. Weight cutting is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No, I’m not. I was responding to the person who said that Khabib is smaller FW than Conor, so I posted height of other fighters he named as a reference that size is a combo of height, weight, body mass, reach. Khabib is a big boy. Conor is not such a big boy. Khabib is def bigger than Conor. Khabib is def using weight class manipulation to his advantage.
    Pretty much every fighter does that, bar a handful
    Cyborg is my main example in this..... UFC won’t provide her her natural class, so in order to fight, she is forced to cut weight. Not to mention how many fighters have had medical emergencies because of weight cutting. Weight cutting is not easy.
    Cyborgs natural weight is the same as Conor's; welterweight.
    I can't think of too many women who are welterweights, most would be somewhere between featherweight and lightweight at a push I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

No, I’m not. I was responding to the person who said that Khabib is smaller FW than Conor, so I posted height of other fighters he named as a reference that size is a combo of height, weight, body mass, reach.
    Nobody said Khabib was smaller than McGregor.
    He clearly said he was refering to each at LW and FW.

You didn't mention the actual weight or body mass of either. Also not sure why you are making out like they are diffetent things.

Various sites have various information. UFC says they both are 5’9”, so for argument sake, since they are both UFC contracted fighters, 5’9” it is. But, if You stick your chin out and pull your shoulders back, you can make yourself appear bigger and more threatening than your opponent.
    Alvarez is not 2" taller than McGregor. Doesn't matter what websites say, or who stuck their chin out.

The 10-8 rule is bull**** and treats MMA as an offensive sport. It based on judge’s consideration of the two fighters, which is where we end up with dangerous situations like Priscilla VS Valentina where refs start deciding not to call a fight to give the other fighter a chance.
    MMA is an offensive sport. It's categorically impossible to win by defensive actions.
    I've no idea why you mention Priscilla v Valentina. What does the referees action have to do with judging completed rounds.
    Moreover, if the 10-8 rule is considered, then at least make the bout 5 rounds versus 3 rounds. MMA is a skill based sport, and one round one fighter can dominate, while the next 3 rounds a fighter can switch the game plan and dominate.
    What do you mean the 10-8 rule? That's how fights are scored. The fight in question was a 3 rounder. Even if we look at the fight as a whole, Khabib dominated. At this point I don't think you seen the fight.

Muscle mass weighs more because it’s skeletal. I think you’re thinking of lean muscle, which is different to muscle mass. Lean muscle is made up of more water,
    Every bit of that is complete nonsense.
    Muscle mass and lean muscle mean the same thing, it's simply muscle.
    If somebody adds a kg of muscle, they have added 1kg to their muscle mass.

1kg of muscle mass weighs the same as 1kg of body fat.
    All muscle tissue is mostly water.
    hence why fighters will flush their bodies out with dehydration and no salt intake. If fighters lost muscle mass, they wouldn’t be able to fight after flushing out their bodies. Moreover, it would take too long to lose and too long to gain back. That is why fighters can drop 20-30 pounds 5 days leading up to weigh in, while still doing intense training camps to keep their muscle mass, because they can gain that water loss weight back in 24 hours, and still be mean fighting machines and not affect their performance.
    I fully understand how weight cutting works.
    As I said above the dehydrated water comes from muscle not fat.
    Weight cutting is not easy. It is extremely dangerous, and there needs to be the guarantee that that weight can be gained back in a very rapid time frame in order to fight. It also is class manipulation. Performance drugs are illegal, but cutting 20-30 pounds for weigh ins 3 times a year is perfectly legal. Not all fighters need to drop that weight, and are true weights of their division.
    No fighters below 205 competes at their true weight. Those days are long gone.
    (Besides once off last minute fights, like Silva v Cormier, )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Struggling to see Conor beat either Khabib/Tony at the moment. Actually think that Lee and Vick would trouble him

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    Machida at 205 was light, on his first run at least.
    Gunni cut very little in his first few. Probably still some though. Certainly cuts now.

In 2017/2018, I be shocked if any fighter putting on the Reeboks has cut something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Struggling to see Conor beat either Khabib/Tony at the moment. Actually think that Lee and Vick would trouble him

Very impressed with Vick. Really think he will have a title shot within the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

ricero wrote: »
    Very impressed with Vick. Really think he will have a title shot within the next 12 months

Will be interesting to see how he handles the step up to top ten contenders, few interesting matches potentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

darced wrote: »
    Gunnar Nelson, Stipe Miocic, Cain Velasquez , Demetrious Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gunnar Nelson, Stipe Miocic, Cain Velasquez , Demetrious Johnson

Only Stipe and Cain don't cut weight out of those you've just listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Is he training, working out keeping fit or building his gas tank even at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Is he training, working out keeping fit or building his gas tank even at the moment?

doing plenty in the gym going by his insta posts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Conor is now 1st & 6th on the list of fighters who won UFC belts and never attempted to defend them. This list was published on Sunday so he's on 466 days now as Lightweight Champion. I think it's very impressive myself :D

mcgregortable.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Im sure everyone else on that list was injured too btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

dave1982 wrote: »
    Im sure everyone else on that list was injured too btw
    Most of them yeah. I should have pointed that out in my original post. Here is the link to the article for anyone who cares https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/2/19/17029454/conor-mcgregor-ufc-history-title-defense-mma-news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

conor will be stripped, ferguson vs khabib for the title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

pudzey101 wrote: »
    conor will be stripped,  ferguson vs khabib for the title

He didn't say anything new or that we didn't already know. Didn't outright say he would be stripped either, same as last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

dnB4qqk.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There is some curious choice of words there, very cagey in what he is saying.
    He initially answers the question by saying Khabib/Ferguson is for the title.
    Then when pressed, he rephrases the question to 'is Conor going to be upset?' from what was asked, and answers that.

There is something up his sleeve I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

yeah if Tony or Khabib pull out then they won't strip Conor's belt and he'll be defending the belt against the other

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw man we could have seen Conor Vs Frankie!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgvR31Hu1i/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

in his absolute **** was he going to step in against frankie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Caption from the above for those not bothered clicking
    I am fighting again. Period.
    I am the best at this.
    I put my name forward to step in at UFC 222 to face Frankie Edgar when Max Holloway pulled out, but I was told there wasn't enough time to generate the money that the UFC would need.
    I was excited about bouncing in last minute and taking out the final featherweight, without all the rest of the stuff that comes with this game.
    Please respect the insane amount of work outside the fight game that I have put in.
    On top of the fighting.
    I am here.
    It is on them to come and get me. Because I am here.
    Yours sincerely,
    The Champ Champ™

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement