Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I put my name forward to step in at UFC 222 to face Frankie Edgar when Max Holloway pulled out, but I was told there wasn't enough time to generate the money that the UFC would need.

I reckon he would have put his name forward but no way will the ufc let him fight, for the reasons stated above.
    When he does announce a fight they wanna milk it for months, get every last cent out of him as he probably won't fight again for 18months after that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

No doubt he will fight again but , when is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

scudzilla wrote: »
    I put my name forward to step in at UFC 222 to face Frankie Edgar when Max Holloway pulled out, but I was told there wasn't enough time to generate the money that the UFC would need.

I reckon he would have put his name forward but no way will the ufc let him fight, for the reasons stated above.
    When he does announce a fight they wanna milk it for months, get every last cent out of him as he probably won't fight again for 18months after that

Dave Meltzer has said negotiations are going well with Conor and that they include 2 fights in 2018. He usually has a fairly quick turnaround, so either he doesn’t fight at all or he’ll fight again fairly nifty after the comeback fight imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Lukker- wrote: »
    Dave Meltzer has said negotiations are going well with Conor and that they include 2 fights in 2018. He usually has a fairly quick turnaround, so either he doesn’t fight at all or he’ll fight again fairly nifty after the comeback fight imo

In WWE or UFC :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Offering to fight in a non title defence. Fück that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I reckon McGregor stepping in as a late replacement would be do huge ppv numbers. Nobody would expect it, you wouldn't have the slow 2+ month long build up. The excitement would have been rammed into 3 or 4 short weeks. Plus it was against Frankie. Although I'd say it would have maybe changed to a 150lb catchweight fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Translation: I tried to hold onto the belt for even longer without defending, this would have been my excuse for taking another few months off. Unfortunately the UFC saw through this.

Yours The Stripped Stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I take it all the McGregor botherers who frequent this thread would have had Frankie........you do have everyone he faces :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

At what weight? He would need surgery to make 145 again.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I take it all the McGregor botherers who frequent this thread would have had Frankie........you do have everyone he faces :D

I'd have Conor, no doubt. It's not the right fight for him though. Unless he vacates his title first.

• Advertisement

I was excited about bouncing in last minute and taking out the final featherweight, without all the rest of the stuff that comes with this game, like defending my title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Originally Posted by Conor McGregor
    I was excited about bouncing in last minute and taking out the final featherweight, without all the rest of the stuff that comes with this game, like defending my title.

Surely he's trolling with this bit, made me chuckle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sonofenoch wrote: »

Some of us have been calling for him to fight Frankie for years now, not a chance he will ever do it

He’s scared of Frankie

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McGregor/Edgar goes the exact same way as McGregor/Alvarez. Average striker/good wrestler getting lit on fire and struggling to get a takedown as they've been hurt from the first shot he landed.

He’s scared of Frankie

/s

Hes refused to go anywhere near him for years, it was smart from a business viewpoint to duck him too, Frankie would have been his toughest fight by far

Fromvert wrote: »
    McGregor/Edgar goes the exact same way as McGregor/Alvarez. Average striker/good wrestler getting lit on fire and struggling to get a takedown as they've been hurt from the first shot he landed.

Getting takesdowns after being hit early is what Frankie does best

Getting takesdowns after being hit early is what Frankie does best

He's 36 and took a a lot of damage in those Maynard/Aldo fights. He's on the way down now, if he caught McGregor on the way up 3/4 years ago it would be a contest, now I don't give him a chance. When the Holloway fight happens he takes a beating in that, McGregor would do the same now.

Hes refused to go anywhere near him for years, it was smart from a business viewpoint to duck him too, Frankie would have been his toughest fight by far

You are entitled to your opinion but Alvarez, Aldo, Holloway, Diaz are tougher matchups. Edgar is a good wrestler, but the best pure wrestler in the division was Mendes. Edgar might have better BJJ but I think Mendes has a better top game.

I don't think everything is a consipiracy, Frankie just missed his window.

He's 36 and took a a lot of damage in those Maynard/Aldo fights. He's on the way down now, if he caught McGregor on the way up 3/4 years ago it would be a contest, now I don't give him a chance. When the Holloway fight happens he takes a beating in that, McGregor would do the same now.

Did you see his last fight? The one where a lot of people said the exact same things and he beat the **** out of the guy. The only time he's ever looked bad is against Aldo and Maynard about 10 years ago, i really don't get why people here constantly talk him down and write him off

• Advertisement

Did you see his last fight? The one where a lot of people said the exact same things and he beat the **** out of the guy. The only time he's ever looked bad is against Aldo and Maynard about 10 years ago, i really don't get why people here constantly talk him down and write him off

Rodriguez is still an up and comer, he's only 25 and got his poor grappling exposed. He'll be more of slow builder, has the flashy striking but not enough grappling. Frankie is going to smoke guys who are not in the top 5 or up and comers. He's a very good fighter but rangey great strikers who have good takedown defense like McGregor and Holloway are going to keep at range and light him up with their hands.

Edgar/Ortega - I'd probably side with Edgar as I'm not sold on Ortega yet. Think Edgar is a good enough grappler to avoid any sneaky stuff and keep Ortega on his back. But Frankie is getting on and smaller guys don't age like Heavyweights, speed and good reflexes are key and they're going to slow soon enough.

Rodriguez is still an up and comer, he's only 25 and got his poor grappling exposed. He'll be more of slow builder, has the flashy striking but not enough grappling. Frankie is going to smoke guys who are not in the top 5 or up and comers. He's a very good fighter but rangey great strikers who have good takedown defense like McGregor and Holloway are going to keep at range and light him up with their hands.

Edgar/Ortega - I'd probably side with Edgar as I'm not sold on Ortega yet. Think Edgar is a good enough grappler to avoid any sneaky stuff and keep Ortega on his back. But Frankie is getting on and smaller guys don't age like Heavyweights, speed and good reflexes are key and they're going to slow soon enough.

Agreed. I love Frankie, his top game and wrestling are sweet, but once you can nullify the takedown his striking looks very average. He's got tidy enough boxing in MMA terms, but it has no knockout threat.

I think if Conor can shuck off Alvarez who must be 25 lbs heavier than Edgar, Edgar wouldn't have much joy. His only hope would be to somehow weather the storm for 4 rounds and score a takedown on an exhausted McGregor. But I couldn't see him getting rattled on the feet, and I just don't see Edgar walking McGregor down. So I don't think he'd have to exhaust himself like vs Diaz. Much easier to keep distance against a smaller guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Frankie struggled against Jeremy Stephens not too long ago as well. I'm not Conor's biggest fan or anything, but he's a whole different ball game to anyone Frankie's fought before.

He’s scared of Frankie

/s

Frankie would maul him/out wrestle him/BJJ him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Effects wrote: »
    Frankie would maul him/out wrestle him/BJJ him.

Like Mendes did, like Alvarez did

Like Mendes did, like Alvarez did

He’s afraid of Edgar/khabib.

Mendez didn’t have a full camp, Alvarez would easily beat him in a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Effects wrote: »
    He’s afraid of Edgar/khabib.

Mendez didn’t have a full camp, Alvarez would easily beat him in a rematch.

9v68YaU.gif

Agreed. I love Frankie, his top game and wrestling are sweet, but once you can nullify the takedown his striking looks very average. He's got tidy enough boxing in MMA terms, but it has no knockout threat.

I think if Conor can shuck off Alvarez who must be 25 lbs heavier than Edgar, Edgar wouldn't have much joy. His only hope would be to somehow weather the storm for 4 rounds and score a takedown on an exhausted McGregor. But I couldn't see him getting rattled on the feet, and I just don't see Edgar walking McGregor down. So I don't think he'd have to exhaust himself like vs Diaz. Much easier to keep distance against a smaller guy.

Only two guys ever really nullified his takedowns, Aldo and the first time he fought BJ Penn, one of the top strikers at the time, in a close fight that Edgar won in the end. In the rematch Frankie took him down 3 times, something only GSP and Hughes had managed to do in the previous years (Sanchez managed 0 out of 27 and Florian 0 out of 15). You don't just need good takedown defense against Frankie you need to be the very best there is, like Aldo was. If McGregor can nullify his takedowns is a huge question that I think people are really dismissing far too lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Full camp Mendes, haven't heard from him in a while.

• Advertisement

If McGregor can nullify his takedowns is a huge question that I think people are really dismissing far too lightly

Nobody has been able to take mcgregor down and do anything worthwhile with it. But I’m sure Edgar will. Same way everyone else was before they fought conor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement