Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But he wasn't carrying 33lbs more, he just didn't cut weight. He probably weighed less than 10lbs more in the cage Vs Nate than he did Vs Aldo, and weighed the same or more when he caught Eddie.

He was cutting well north of 20lbs at 145.

He definitely wasn't 33lbs heavier fighting Diaz but he was bloated as fúck during the weigh ins for the Diaz fight. Not to mention for the first Diaz fight he was literally jumping into some of his punches. Any one doing that is going to gas pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

The extra weight is not the cause I think. He was 154 lbs vs Mayweather. I have never seen a video of him running on a road. I am not surprised he has no cardio. Mayweather wouldn’t be a stranger to regular 2 hour runs at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

He was cutting well north of 20lbs at 145.

I know this is the perceived wisdom on the subject but I just can't see that being the case. Seeing how bloated he looked tipping the scales at 168 against diaz in comparison to how lean he looked in the octagon fighting at 45 (even 55 though to a lesser extent obviously) leads me to think he couldn't have been much more than 160 when fighting at 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The extra weight is not the cause I think. He was 154 lbs vs Mayweather. I have never seen a video of him running on a road. I am not surprised he has no cardio. Mayweather wouldn’t be a stranger to regular 2 hour runs at night.

There was an embedded where he done road work, think it was before the Mendez fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

He doesn't do any roadwork cos his knee is shagged. That's my theory anyway. All of his cardio seems to be non impact, such as the rower, the bike, and at the performance institute he was using the underwater treadmill.

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    He doesn't do any roadwork cos his knee is shagged. That's my theory anyway. All of his cardio seems to be non impact, such as the rower, the bike, and at the performance institute he was using the underwater treadmill.

Good theory. There’s a reason Mo Farrah doesn’t do non-impact cardio. You don’t run a marathon or fight under water. Your muscles need to be conditioned to work aerobically when carrying your weight, otherwise fatigue sets in

There was an embedded where he done road work, think it was before the Mendez fight.

Before which there was never evidence of a cardio issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Before which there was never evidence of a cardio issue!!

I'm not arguing with you, just saying that's the last time I remember seeing him go for a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I don't get the knee injury being a reason he can't do road work. Knee injuries occur in other sports, soccer and basketball being two that rely on good cardio, got by running a lot. Your knees are put under serious stress in those sports with turning at speed, stopping etc. If his knee was really ****ed, grappling would be a night mare to do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Fromvert wrote: »
    I don't get the knee injury being a reason he can't do road work. Knee injuries occur in other sports, soccer and basketball being two that rely on good cardio, got by running a lot. Your knees are put under serious stress in those sports with turning at speed, stopping etc. If his knee was really ****ed, grappling would be a night mare to do too.

Road work is much tougher on the joints. Soccer players often can't bend their knees when they finish their career, has a big problem with players abusing pain killers to play games too.

Running vs cycling will cause much more inflammation to the muscles and joints. Ofc grappling would be tough too with a bad knee, but it would only be compounded if he was to add running on top of it.

I've actually torn my ACL and dislocated my patella twice. I avoid running unless it's on a track or a field and even then minimize it because my knee will feel stiff after. Grappling isn't too bad, the most uncomfortable movement for me is shooting, everything else feels fine tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Fromvert wrote: »

There are plenty examples of footballers who barely train, let alone do things like road work. Theres a video on YouTube from a few days ago of Owen Hargreaves speaking on BT sport, saying when he was 28 in his house in Manchester he couldn't even get upstairs in his house due to his knees. Players like Ledley King and Paul McGrath didn't even train during the week in order to be able to play at the weekend - all due to knee injuries. It's an injury that curses sportsmen for the rest of their lives, despite them potentially being able to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gintonious wrote: »
    A title shot after all this time out of the cage?

Thats a complete joke.

yVEnp7j.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Eddiiieeeeee called it!

He was about 2 weeks after me. He lurks here, been confirmed a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

So Frankie is the beast he's been ducking for 3 years???

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I know this is the perceived wisdom on the subject but I just can't see that being the case. Seeing how bloated he looked tipping the scales at 168 against diaz in comparison to how lean he looked in the octagon fighting at 45 (even 55 though to a lesser extent obviously) leads me to think he couldn't have been much more than 160 when fighting at 45.

That assumes the 168 was a true weight. Which might not have been the case.
    Any MMA weigh-in needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Just before he became CW champ, he competed at the IBJJF Euros at middleweight (175lbs). If he was 160 or so he'd have been in the lightweight division (162lbs).
    Most likely means he was anywhere 165-175lbs. If I'm imagine he was bigger vrs Siver/Mendes/Aldo than vrs Dave Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Although he does have a serious cardio issue.

It's not that serious. It hasn't stopped him beating everyone he's fought in the past 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Here's a bit of a random thought I had regarding McGregors next fight, assuming he won't be the defending champion. He's actually walked out in the blue corner, or as challenger, in the majority of his fights recently

Vs Mayweather - walked out first
    Vs Alvarez - walked out first
    Diaz 2 - walked out first
    Diaz 1 - walked out second
    Vs Aldo - walked out first
    Vs Mendes - walked out first.

Of course this means sweet f*Ck all. Maybe it just means I'm cracking up from being couped up inside over this snow.

it suits him to walk out first
    hes calm, doesnt suffer an adrenaline dump, and likes to take in the energy of the crowd. his opponent waits backstage listening to the 'irish army' of fans cheering, and probably hasnt had to deal with that atmosphere before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Here's a bit of a random thought I had regarding McGregors next fight, assuming he won't be the defending champion. He's actually walked out in the blue corner, or as challenger, in the majority of his fights recently

Vs Mayweather - walked out first
    Vs Alvarez - walked out first
    Diaz 2 - walked out first
    Diaz 1 - walked out second
    Vs Aldo - walked out first
    Vs Mendes - walked out first.

Of course this means sweet f*Ck all. Maybe it just means I'm cracking up from being couped up inside over this snow.

Was he the betting underdog for every fight on that list that he won too?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

How is McGregor is No.2 on the P4P, At best he's the 3rd best Lightweight.
    Personally I don't see him as a great fighter.

So Frankie is the beast he's been ducking for 3 years???
    he wont get a money fight now, should have accepted a fight with Conor if he was offered it, tho im curious how much of a cut he would have got

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/970166121478414336

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Was he the betting underdog for every fight on that list that he won too?

No. He never been the underdog in MMA afaik

miocicmma wrote: »
    the ratings can be disputed but you might need to get your eyes examined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Mellor wrote: »
    No. He never been the underdog in MMA afaik

He definitely was for the Aldo fight. Was the favourite up until the weigh in and then he looked like death on the scales and drifted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

he wont get a money fight now, should have accepted a fight with Conor if he was offered it, tho im curious how much of a cut he would have got

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/970166121478414336

He's still trying to convince people he was willing to fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

miocicmma wrote: »

Because the UFC is a joke now. Barely a rung up from WWE in credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

.ak wrote: »
    yVEnp7j.png

*cough 9 title defences over his career *cough

Effects wrote: »
    It's not that serious. It hasn't stopped him beating everyone he's fought in the past 7 years.

Negative x negative x positive. Strange way of putting it!

It is all relative of course. He is still a phenomenal athlete and fighter. But I would argue he would have beat everyone with at least average cardio.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He's still trying to convince people he was willing to fight?
    hes always willing to fight, its the contract conditions that decide if he fights or not. im not sure why the UFC wouldnt want him on the card, its not like he is gonna present them with a situation were they dont profit. the 165lb belt idea was bad, new weight divisions are a good idea in the future but it would look bad if they gave him the chance for a new belt without having defended the other 2. so i suppose that would be the condition in the contract that they refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

its not like he is gonna present them with a situation were they dont profit.

It's not a simple issue of profit vs. loss. It's the amount of profit that they are concerned about, both on the night and into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

This Cardio issue only came up for the first time when he trained and ate in a completely different way in a camp for tve first time ever. Fighting at 170. It reared its head again in a fight in a different discipline, my opinion is it's not as big an issue as is being made out

Think I read someone said on here before that he used to run a lot before his ACL injury and now he does his cardio using exercise bikes mainly. Might be a factor.

His more explosive striking style needs energy conservation too. In Diaz 2 he was bolloxed by round 3 so he was just on the defensive in that round but then came back and won round 4. He was perfect in the Alvarez fight. Looked fresh the whole time and not a single wasted movement or strike.

His cardio isn't as good as more endurance based fighters but wouldn't say it's an issue. He can be dangerous to anyone over 5 rounds if he conserves the tank well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement