Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anyone that thinks this is play by the UFC or McGregor is mad.

It would have been a better draw for the everyone involved, if it was a play, that McGregor confronted Khabib at the weigh ins over the Artem incident.

McG took matters into his own hands, if he really wanted to confront Khabib he should have taken the fight instead of Holloway although I cant imagine McG would have passed a USADA test on less than a weeks notice, that or hes scared of Khabib, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It's a fairly padded record to be fair for his first 10 ish fights or more

Like a lot of fighters. Agree 100% though. But hes a bad man. I know Michael Johnson is hardly a world beater but that fight was a tough watch.

Biggest fight of his life tomorrow and he has to be distracted? Overlooking Holloway these days isn't a wise move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

everlast75 wrote: »
    Awful waste of talent and a ruining of a legacy IMHO.

I believed McGregor was a decent skin before his own hype, the high life and his groupies brought him to a place where his ego went unchecked.

I take no pleasure out of him getting arrested but it was the right thing to happen.

Like i said - sad, sorry state of affairs.

Especially what's happened the last seven days with Tony's injury and Matt Brown tearing his ACL, this really stuck the boot in.
    I'm just really disappointed in the whole situation, it has no place in this sport and it only gives more ammunition to the "Cage fighting is barbaric" types.

You go back and watch him beat Mendes at 189, he was riding high and had the backing of almost everyone. It's sad how it's all playing out but it's of his own doing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Indent believe I've seen any reports stating Borg 'has glass in his eye'. Anything I've seen has said that he is having difficulty opening his eye, which is believed to be as a result of glass. That could easily mean a piece of glass hit his eye and bounced back out, causing irritation but also not lodging into or under the eye lid or eyeball.

Although if what he says happened actually happened he was very well able to tweet about McGregor in the moments after the incident without too much trouble.

Edit. His tweet seems to have mysteriously disappeared from his timeline!
    Ah jesus.
    Seriously?? Its fairly easy to text let alone tweet with one eye. Ive seen people with broken arms text. People's first reaction nowadays is to get everything online as soon as possible and an eye injury wouldn't stop that. And perhaps the UFC told all fighters involved to remove tweets?

People are looking for a conspiracy theory, the injury did happen regardless of whether or not it was a publicity stunt gone wrong.

You go back and watch him beat Mendes at 189, he was riding high and had the backing of almost everyone. It's sad how it's all playing out but it's of his own doing IMO.

I think he prefers it that way. You make more money as a bad guy.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks this is play by the UFC or McGregor is mad.

It would have been a better draw for the everyone involved, if it was a play, that McGregor confronted Khabib at the weigh ins over the Artem incident.

McG took matters into his own hands, if he really wanted to confront Khabib he should have taken the fight instead of Holloway although I cant imagine McG would have passed a USADA test on less than a weeks notice, that or hes scared of Khabib, or both.
    Exactly,
    If this was scripted then the UFC would be guilty of attempting to incite violence at the very least. I'm sure Conor would have texts or emails confirming the UFC's involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Mendes win was the peak of it all imo. “Ireland baby, we did it!” Sad to see where things have gone since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,827 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Nal wrote: »
    I think he prefers it that way. You make more money as a bad guy.

Until you **** it all up and then lose it by going to far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Must admin I have been a fan of Conor's going back a long way and have defended him in nearly all of his indiscretions over the last few years but this has taken it way too far.

Really hopes now he takes his punishment(s) like a man and hopefully gets his career back on track. So many great fights for him to take over the next few years if he knuckles down and wants it.
    Disappointing because the majority of us here just want to see him fight and show us how great he is at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

If the mctapper owns property over there they can hardly cancel visas can they?is he resident?
    He's facing a felony charge for criminal mischief (the assaults are misdemeanours, surprisingly). A violent felony charge in New York is generally a 2 year minimum sentence.

As a non US citizen he may just be deported. As a convicted felon, it's highly unlikely he would be allowed into the country again, visa or no visa, property or no property.

I think yesterday will prove to be a day Conor regrets deeply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Now this is funny!

Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If he just threw a dolly then yes but he did not just throw a dolly did he? Or ate you saying it's all a set up to get him out

He was a tit and his actions were reprehensible. I'm saying a decision will be made at state level, that it's not worth banning him as he's a potential cash cow for when he fights. That's the same reason he won't have his visa revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

glasso wrote: »
    would have been very easy to introduce a particle at a later point at a location somewhere that was not the bus.

I would totally be up for jumping on the money bandwagon. it's a no brainer.

That kind of attitude is what's wrong with society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

seannash wrote: »
    Ah jesus.
    Seriously?? Its fairly easy to text let alone tweet with one eye. Ive seen people with broken arms text. People's first reaction nowadays is to get everything online as soon as possible and an eye injury wouldn't stop that. And perhaps the UFC told all fighters involved to remove tweets?

People are looking for a conspiracy theory, the injury did happen regardless of whether or not it was a publicity stunt gone wrong.

If I had just been showered in glass and some of it went into my eye the last thing I'd be doing is sending out tweets. He went to hospital 5 hours after the incident. Sounds off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Ariel Helwani

Verified account

@arielhelwani
    6m6 minutes ago
    More
    As of 6:53 am ET, Conor McGregor is still in police custody, NYPD tells me. He was held overnight at the 78th precinct in Brooklyn. He is expected to be transported to a local court sometime today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    It's just him looking for attention now that he's turning into a has bin.

Don't talk rubbish!

Scotty # wrote: »
    He's facing a felony charge for criminal mischief (the assaults are misdemeanours, surprisingly). A violent felony charge in New York is generally a 2 year minimum sentence.

As a non US citizen he may just be deported. As a convicted felon, it's highly unlikely he would be allowed into the country again, visa or no visa, property or no property.

He has more of a chance of actually fighting Khabib at the weekend than being successfully charged for a felony offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Scotty # wrote: »

There’s nothing surprising about the misdemeanor asssults. Those were never gonna be felony assaults. The felony mischief will be the easiest to plea down of them all.

As far as I know the crime of mischief in US law is similar to criminal damage in that it’s all about the monetary value of the damage caused. Seeing as all he did in terms of damage was break a bus window I doubt he did enough to make a felony charge stick.

He’ll plea it down to a misdemeanor in return for a guilty on all counts. Slap on the wrist, fine and/or community service, fighting Diaz before the end of the year in Vegas.

If I had just been showered in glass and some of it went into my eye the last thing I'd be doing is sending out tweets. He went to hospital 5 hours after the incident. Sounds off to me.
    I once got a piece of metal in my eye, I tried for several hours to flush it out before I went to the hospital. All the while I made phone calls and texted mates, took pictures trying to see what was in there. Its really not that hard to believe but perhaps some people take injuries a bit lighter than others.
    The alternative is absolutely ludicrous and I guess that anyone who tries to argue that narrative isn't going to listen to reason so I should stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Lukker- wrote: »
    He has more of a chance of actually fighting Khabib at the weekend than being successfully charged for a felony offence.

He has already been charged with it.

But I know what you mean on fairness. It won’t stay as a felony.

• Advertisement

dead-dying-Jon-Stewart-kill-me-overwhelmed-GIF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

how do you squeeze 20 boys in one SUV ??? The answer below :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhMofaUl90-/

yeah how would it take hours to realise that you had glass in your eye?

John_D80 wrote: »
    He has already been charged with it.

But I know what you mean on fairness. It won’t stay as a felony.

Yeah but there hasn't been any real prosecution yet. The state will always charge the maximum first and work from there. He'll make a plea deal, pay a fine, sign up for some community service and hopefully get some consuelling. It wouldn't surprise me if the felony charge was dropped after his hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

This is almost unbelievable . Conor is an absolute madman. Flies to another continent to run amuck.

If Khabib fight is ever made I fully expect Khabib will pull out. He won’t want no part of this madman.

On a serious note, why the hell os Conor playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

seannash wrote: »
    I once got a piece of metal in my eye, I tried for several hours to flush it out before I went to the hospital. All the while I made phone calls and texted mates, took pictures trying to see what was in there. Its really not that hard to believe but perhaps some people take injuries a bit lighter than others.
    The alternative is absolutely ludicrous and I guess that anyone who tries to argue that narrative isn't going to listen to reason so I should stop now.

You shouldn't make assumptions, I'm very open to debate. I'm just playing devils advocate on this one incident.

My original statement was, with Borg and Khabib both having Ali Abdelaziz as manager, Ali hates McGregor, Borg has a history of missing weight. What are the chances of this being a prime opportunity for them both to take advantage.

No other UFC fighters have deleted their tweets about the incident so why has Borg deleted a tweet where he said he was sitting beside Chiesa but that he was fine.

glasso wrote: »
    yeah how would it take hours to realise that you had glass in your eye?

so funny, consider your post name and it sounds like a chat up line!! :DBrillant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Don't talk rubbish!

Yeah. It was Crowley who had the bin. Conor was a has dolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Personally I think from a criminal stand point this will be a non event for McGregor.

Financially however could be a different story, he could be sued for millions by fighters and the UFC, add on legal costs.

Costly session that's for sure!

• Advertisement

No other UFC fighters have deleted their tweets about the incident so why has Borg deleted a tweet where he said he was sitting beside Chiesa but that he was fine.
    Everyone is an individual, free to delete, keep up whatever they want. A lot might have different managers and coaches who offer different advice on situations. A lot will have different partners,wives,girlfriends advising them on this situation. And some may have contacted lawyers immediately afterwards and been advised to take them down.

All of the above is much more plausible than a guy putting glass into his eye willingly.
    There's playing devils advocate but normally its with plausible alternative explanations.
    I could say a Conor Mc Gregor look alike was hired by Borg and Khabib and orchestrated an attack on them. Is this plausible?? should we entertain this idea on the basis of playing devils advocate?

As you have rightly mentioned some fighters have a history of making weight, much like Conor has a history of being a thug.
    Devils advocate in this case sounds more like defending Conors actions and making them out to be not as serious as most other people believe they were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement