Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gonad wrote: »
    This is almost unbelievable . Conor is an absolute madman. Flies to another continent to run amuck.

If Khabib fight is ever made I fully expect Khabib will pull out. He won’t want no part of this madman.

On a serious note, why the hell os Conor playing at.

I very much doubt that.

I'm not suggesting that Borg put something in his eye.

Based on the circumstances - Abdelaziz being his manager, Ray wearing big glasses, not realizing until hours later, deleting his tweets - I think it's at least possible he just made it up after some thought so he could sue Conor.

If you go to a doctor and say you were near a smashed window and your eye hurts, they have an obligation to take your word for it and they'll diagnose it as a likely scratched retina, even if they can't see any scratch under examination. They just err on the side of caution, it's what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Personally I think from a criminal stand point this will be a non event for McGregor.

Financially however could be a different story, he could be sued for millions by fighters and the UFC, add on legal costs.

Costly session that's for sure!

Indeed. But he'll earn it all back and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Inviere

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I very much doubt that.

Indeed. I suspect if that fight were ever to go ahead, the only pulling out Khabib would be doing would be the removal of McGregor’s soul from his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You shouldn't make assumptions, I'm very open to debate. I'm just playing devils advocate on this one incident.

My original statement was, with Borg and Khabib both having Ali Abdelaziz as manager, Ali hates McGregor, Borg has a history of missing weight. What are the chances of this being a prime opportunity for them both to take advantage.

No other UFC fighters have deleted their tweets about the incident so why has Borg deleted a tweet where he said he was sitting beside Chiesa but that he was fine.

True, but it's also possible that he didn't know til later there was an injury. A mate of mine broke his foot on a moped, and went to the pub that night, went shopping the next day, and decided to get it checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Indent believe I've seen any reports stating Borg 'has glass in his eye'. Anything I've seen has said that he is having difficulty opening his eye, which is believed to be as a result of glass. That could easily mean a piece of glass hit his eye and bounced back out, causing irritation but also not lodging into or under the eye lid or eyeball.

Although if what he says happened actually happened he was very well able to tweet about McGregor in the moments after the incident without too much trouble.

Conor highlighted a major health and safety issue with the glass on the bus, they should be thanking him. Imagine there was a crash and everyone had glass in their eye. I think conor should be given an award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Who is the lady with the entourage? Was that Conors partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks this is play by the UFC or McGregor is mad.

It would have been a better draw for the everyone involved, if it was a play, that McGregor confronted Khabib at the weigh ins over the Artem incident.

McG took matters into his own hands, if he really wanted to confront Khabib he should have taken the fight instead of Holloway although I cant imagine McG would have passed a USADA test on less than a weeks notice, that or hes scared of Khabib, or both.

Pure and simple. After last night, if he fights again under the UFC brand, it will be undeniable proof that this was a complete stunt and that UFC has totally descended into a WWE style circus. Personally I believe McGregor is just doing what he's always done and that is to create as much noise and hype as possible. He's insufferable but hes a master at getting attention and the UFC has absolutely benefited every single time he's opened his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I heard it was his mistress who is pregnant with 3 of Conor's babies and 2 of Artem's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I heard it was his mistress who is pregnant with 3 of Conor's babies and 2 of Artem's.

Lol.

Does look like his partner though but you would hope she wouldn't get mixed up in all that. They have a small baby to look after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Unimportant side question, not being a dick. Is he Cian Cowley or Cian Crowley? I thought the former but most here referring to him by the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The Nal wrote:
    Indeed. But he'll earn it all back and then some.

I've only a passing interest in UFC these days.

What would be an estimated payday for McGregor v Khabib after this stunt?

In my mind lawsuits v fight might cancel each other out and he's bound to lose some sponsorships over this stunt.

So in my uninformed opinion I think he comes out worse than before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

seannash wrote: »
    Everyone is an individual, free to delete, keep up whatever they want. A lot might have different managers and coaches who offer different advice on situations. A lot will have different partners,wives,girlfriends advising them on this situation. And some may have contacted lawyers immediately afterwards and been advised to take them down.

All of the above is much more plausible than a guy putting glass into his eye willingly.
    There's playing devils advocate but normally its with plausible alternative explanations.
    I could say a Conor Mc Gregor look alike was hired by Borg and Khabib and orchestrated an attack on them. Is this plausible?? should we entertain this idea on the basis of playing devils advocate?

As you have rightly mentioned some fighters have a history of making weight, much like Conor has a history of being a thug.
    Devils advocate in this case sounds more like defending Conors actions and making them out to be not as serious as most other people believe they were.

How on earth am I defending Conor's actions? Show me where I have defended what he has done? I have been very vocal elsewhere of how stupid his actions were and how he will be lucky to keep his UFC contract at the end of this. What I am doing is questioning the validity of one persons claim of injury through the use of a mixture of facts, speculation and conjecture.

To re-iterate again, there is no statement I have seen anywhere which says 'Ray Borg has glass stuck in his eye' You are presuming this is the issue. Anything I have seen says 'Ray Borg went to hospital to be checked out as he was having trouble opening his eyes' after the McGregor attack on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

reg114 wrote: »
    Pure and simple. After last night, if he fights again under the UFC brand, it will be undeniable proof that this was a complete stunt and that UFC has totally descended into a WWE style circus. Personally I believe McGregor is just doing what he's always done and that is to create as much noise and hype as possible. He's insufferable but hes a master at getting attention and the UFC has absolutely benefited every single time he's opened his mouth.

It could very well have been a stunt on McGregors end, but I dont think the UFC were in on this at all.

The card has been seriously affected for the weekend on the back of his antics and either those on the roster are in on it, or McGregor acted on impulse and harmed the UFCs card.

However, if the UFC do want a huge pay day and lets face, they're all about money, they'll use McGregor in the future if they can poney up the cash to get him off the couch for a trilogy fight with Diaz or the winner of Khabib/Holloway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Can anyone see Owen Roddy in the videos? I saw some comments in some comment section earlier saying he was there in a white top. There is a guy who could be him but is only seen from behind. I hope he wasn't involved with that as it seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

True, but it's also possible that he didn't know til later there was an injury. A mate of mine broke his foot on a moped, and went to the pub that night, went shopping the next day, and decided to get it checked out.

He didn't know he 'broke' his foot, but I bet he knew it was sore and causing him discomfort.

Ray Borg might not have known he had a scratched retina, but he would have known if glass hit his eyeball and was causing him vision problems or irritations almost immediately. Think of how a fighter reacts to even the slightest eye-poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The Diaz brothers and the riot?
    The various drug and abuse charges against some of the fighters?

You have to account for people doing stupid things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How on earth am I defending Conor's actions? Show me where I have defended what he has done? I have been very vocal elsewhere of how stupid his actions were and how he will be lucky to keep his UFC contract at the end of this. What I am doing is questioning the validity of one persons claim of injury through the use of a mixture of facts, speculation and conjecture.

To re-iterate again, there is no statement I have seen anywhere which says 'Ray Borg has glass stuck in his eye' You are presuming this is the issue. Anything I have seen says 'Ray Borg went to hospital to be checked out as he was having trouble opening his eyes' after the McGregor attack on the bus.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/982064487321800704

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/4/5/17204806/michael-chiesa-vs-anthony-pettis-ray-borg-vs-brandon-moreno-ufc-223-cancelled-mma-news

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/982049859887947776

There are a few reports saying he got glass in his eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

And you aren't presuming this is the issue?

Originally Posted by Whelo79 viewpost.gif
    If I had just been showered in glass and some of it went into my eye the last thing I'd be doing is sending out tweets. He went to hospital 5 hours after the incident. Sounds off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He didn't know he 'broke' his foot, but I bet he knew it was sore and causing him discomfort.

Ray Borg might not have known he had a scratched retina, but he would have known if glass hit his eyeball and was causing him vision problems or irritations almost immediately. Think of how a fighter reacts to even the slightest eye-poke.

As if that's comparable ffs. When eye poked in a fight, a fighter is actively engaged in combat. The slightest distraction or inability to defend themselves could get them knocked out. Not remotely the same.

The most likely explanation is that Borg felt some mild irritation, waited to see if it got any better, it didn't, he decided to go check it out. No madcap tinfoil hat conspiracy nonsense required. Won't stop people here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Seriously, society has become so dumb that there are people who will turn anything and everything into a conspiracy!

To be honest, the best punishment to come out of this whole thing would be for Dana to black-ball SBG completely.

Pure and simple. After last night, if he fights again under the UFC brand, it will be undeniable proof that this was a complete stunt and that UFC has totally descended into a WWE style circus.

No, it won’t. It’ll mean that the potential for a McGregor ‘redemption’ fight would smash all records, and generate a lot of money for a lot of people. I know the UFC aren’t immune to seemingly staged antics, but how anyone could say what happened in those videos was a staged and planned event is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

MrStuffins wrote: »
    To be honest, the best punishment to come out of this whole thing would be for Dana to black-ball SBG completely.

Why though? I’ve no problem them cutting ties with anyone there, but other more sensible people involved with SBG shouldn’t be tarnished with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

MrStuffins wrote: »

Why? That'd be like The FA banning an entire club because some players got into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

cliggg wrote: »
    Can anyone see Owen Roddy in the videos? I saw some comments in some comment section earlier saying he was there in a white top. There is a guy who could be him but is only seen from behind. I hope he wasn't involved with that as it seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

The lad in the white top on the videos is Charlie Ward. They have a similar haircut but that's about all they have in common.

cliggg wrote: »

I thought it was Roddy when I first watched it, but watched again and it’s clearly not him. I don’t know Roddy, but I’d be genuinely shocked to see him involved in anything as bad as this.

Why? That'd be like The FA banning an entire club because some players got into trouble.

This is what they do. When fans cause trouble or players cause trouble, the team gets punished.

it wasn't just Conor from that team there last night either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭robwen

In the video of them arriving & piling into the elevator this woman is clearly visible & it definitely ain't Dee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lukker- wrote: »
    Why though? I’ve no problem them cutting ties with anyone there, but other more sensible people involved with SBG shouldn’t be tarnished with it

I'd say sbg would have to take some action themselves, blatant bringing the club into disrepute.

I take it was monkey see monkey do for cian cowley. That makes him worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement