Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

"so much rumour and misinformation"

The mainly reported facts are on video so there isn't much denial about that - what else do you suggest they're referring to?

It’s more of a character reference than anything to suggest McGregor is “riled”

https://twitter.com/AudieAttar/status/982694093745684480?s=19

"A great father" lol.

Trying to pass off this latest toeraggery as being a "loyal friend".

Ok, you have to back up your meal ticket but trying to polish a turd just makes you look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He is very very lucky that the yellow dolly hit the partition between the windows, if it hadn't it would have gone straight into the bus and done serious damage to anyone in its path

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    He's an Irish muai thai champ and domestic / fringe european level mma fighter.

Fringe european level mma fighter?

He's 3-1 amateur (3 wins over a 3 day tournament) and 0-1 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Naos wrote: »

So his only pro fight was a loss ? What is he doing in the McGregor camp ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd say the Russian hammer pants comes out the worst in this... Laughing stock

Visconti wrote: »

Monkey see monkey do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Visconti wrote: »

Lee Hammond, a 19 year old there's a lot of hope and expectation on, hasn't even made his pro debut and was there. They're there because they do what they're told by McGregor, the alpha.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Monkey see monkey do

Mcgreggor has a few wins atleast lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah even some of the posts here have me in stitches.

Over the 'RTE to withdraw the 2016 Sports Person of the Year award' story..

And these gems :pac:

The skinny legs post is probably the best post I've seen here since the joke about someone's ma outboxing Cathal Pendred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

robwen wrote: »
    https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/07/conor-mcgregor-likely-cost-himself-millions-with-barclays-meltdown-arrest/amp/

Don't know how reliable this guy is but claims before this week's sh1tshow there was going to be a big announcement on McGregor's comeback at last night's 25 anniversary press conference & that his return was going to be against Dos Anjos for the interim welterweight title
    Author also believes Thursday was a stunt that went horribly wrong

"If White and the UFC don’t dump the Irishman, we’ll know it was at least partially staged. There’s absolutely no other explanation for keeping him around"

Aye, apart from being by far the biggest PPV draw The UFC have. Who da fook is that journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My dad is no fan at all of McGregor or even MMA itself, but he reckons McGregor comes out of this still fighting. Reckons that at the end of the day, McGregor is a cash cow and the UFC is a business, so the future is fairly straightforward as far as that goes.

Now, the day he starts haemorrhaging fans, that's when this story changes.

Bear in mind that this is the man who reckons Mayweather went easy on McGregor for the first few rounds to make it a worthwhile night for the audience, but that he could have dropped him in the first minute if he'd wanted to :D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Your dad is a wise man on both of those points.

Now, the day he starts haemorrhaging fans, that's when this story changes.

Has that not been happening?

there's a possibility conor will make a tonne of cash out of this, possibly without even fighting!should cover the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Has that not been happening?

He's gained over 90,000 followers in Facebook since this all begun.

I'll put it this way, a youtuber recently showed a dead body in the suicide forest in Japan to his mostly child and teen audience and actually gained over half a million subscribers from it when it all died down. Everyone said the same thing about him when that controversy was at it's peak, he's finished, YouTube will ban him etc etc, except he was their cash cow (like Conor) and is even more popular now because of it.

These are not "ordinary" times where scandals would destroy careers, now they actually make them and boost popularity. Trump has been dining out on this trend for the better part of a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Conor may lose some fans but all this publicity (it's everywhere!) is just getting more eyeballs on him and people intrigued in watching him fight, win or lose. Even the fans he's lost they'll still tune in to watch him. His next fight will be his biggest in MMA.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    He's gained over 90,000 followers in Facebook since this all begun.

I'll put it this way, a youtuber recently showed a dead body in the suicide forest in Japan to his mostly child and teen audience and actually gained over half a million subscribers from it when it all died down. Everyone said the same thing about him when that controversy was at it's peak, he's finished, YouTube will ban him etc etc, except he was their cash cow (like Conor) and is even more popular now because of it.

These are not "ordinary" times where scandals would destroy careers, now they actually make them and boost popularity. Trump has been dining out on this trend for the better part of a decade.

Exactly, last week most of the talk was of conor never defending a belt, his notoriety was stagnating, then he was back in the news losing the belt and now boom, he's everywhere. I know this is an mma thread and id prefer we talked about the sport, but this where we are!!
    If Khabib does it tonight there's a mega ppv event on the table , possibly a record breaker.

ah poor Noah

The bailiff approaches the press gallery. The judge will allow one photographer and one videographer to record proceedings. Noah tries to get his attention. He puts his hand up and asks the bailiff if it is ok to cheer or encourage McGregor when he appears.
    “It is not, and don’t use your phone to take a picture as it will be confiscated,” he is told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Seems like Betsafe pulled their McGregor advertisement from BT Sports...

• Advertisement

Seems like Betsafe pulled their McGregor advertisement from BT Sports...

Toxic to sponsors now. The bang of scumbag is too strong to ignore any longer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

glasso wrote: »
    Toxic to sponsors now. The bang of scumbag is too strong to ignore any longer.

If you are just going to keep ignoring my mod warnings then take a break for a week till they sink in..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A betting company pulling an ad is hilarious. Anybody noticing it is surprising to me.

Anyways this is just going to make him richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »
    A betting company pulling an ad is hilarious. Anybody on this thread noticing it is surprising to me.

People who actually watch UFC events would notice.

So I fixed your post

MrStuffins wrote: »
    People who actually watch UFC events would notice.

So I fixed your post

Not necassarily true....... I watch all the UFC events on US tv, so I don't get to see those god awful ads, but I do see about 1 million ads about tacos/pizza/chicken fingers and end up feeling hungry as fuark :(

I noticed the disappearance of Betsafe straight away. It'd be a bit too big of a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Lads come on cop on. Conors popularity will only rise after the recent events. Weather you agree with his antics or not. Stop hating and get aboard this glorious entertainment train. Biggest Irish sports star ever. Period.

Lads come on cop on. Conors popularity will only rise after the recent events. Weather you agree with his antics or not. Stop hating and get aboard this glorious entertainment train. Biggest Irish sports star ever. Period.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Conor's popularity etc is a secondary issue here, I'm pretty sure what most fans, former fans, or currently questioning fans are worried about now is whether we'll ever get to see him in the Octagon again. Dana is absolutely furious and in the ESPN interview notice he kept referring to Conor in the past tense, and talking about how they were working on a deal for him etc... It feels like he's burned his bridges with the UFC over this incident to at least some extent. My honest gut feeling is that things just won't be the same ever again as far as his fighting career goes. He won't be able to command the same respect - not from other fighters, not from Dana, not from the press, and potentially not from the public - which fuels the hype train. Charisma only works if people like you, basically, and if every interaction he has from now on with the UFC, his fellow fighters and the media is a genuinely hostile one as opposed to a taking-the-piss hostile one, then the juggernaut is over. He might fight, he win fights, but if the aforementioned entities turn against him in terms of sentiment, it's all going to feel very hollow from now on.

I hope this blows over, just going by the interviews with Dana and the statements from the likes of Karolina (who was clearly a bit of a fan before this)... It just doesn't look good. It feels like if he returns, the UFC (and the people in it) just won't be as inviting a place for him now. And if that's the case, given that he thrives on publicity, I can't help wondering if it'll demotivate him.

Love to be proven wrong on this, but that's my take. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Naos wrote: »

Yeah sorry, poorly worded on my part

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement